• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-match: S'hampton 0 - 3 LFC

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Clive said:
I'm getting strange echoes of the 1-4 at old Trafford from 5 years ago. One game at a time..... One game at a time.....great to look ahead to the fixture list with optimism for a change!
Aspas in the role of dirk Kuyt ?

jimbo

TIA Regular
Best case is Cardiff beat spurs, and spurs beat Chelsea. We need to just concentrate on wining out games, man city and Chelsea will drop points. Arsenal like always look like bottling it.
I would much rather secure 4th before even talking about the premiership. We need to not get carried away. The aim for now is champions league. Secure that and we can see br getting new contract and serious money getting spent in the summer! We can attract the top players! Imagine a world class left back, world class midfielder and sakho back! We will be even a bigger force, develop an field and happy days.

But more than anything would love Gerrard to pick a premier league model.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
redandwhite3 said:
it was great win for you yesterday and thier no doubt your in the title race now. got tough away game coming up in two weeks but no reason why you can,t win their
The general philosophy under rogers is one game at a time. That has worked very well for us. And the fact that we arent in europe and in any cup competition gives us a unique chance to compete this season. If we play the way we are playing, we will certainly pose problems for chelsea and city.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
RedSeven said:
1 drawn game for both city and Chelsea puts the title in our grasp,it would be ours to lose.
We can catch chelsea, but city is going to be difficult, even on equal points, they have a superiro GD. The only way that can change is if we hammer them 4-0 or something at anfield therby giving us a +8 GD boost. That is not going to happen, so our best bet is for Scum and chavs to draw vs city and us winning somehow.

sunburst

TIA Youth Team
RedSeven said:
1 drawn game for both city and Chelsea puts the title in our grasp,it would be ours to lose.
Exactly what I'm saying... We are dependant on them doing that before it becomes ours to lose. At the moment it's theirs to lose. Things looking better for us now having gone above Arsenal :)

shootscore

I'm still worried about top four, but my worries have eased. Still, the more daylight between 5th and LFC, the better. Keeping the likes of Suarez could well depend on it, and I think to be fair, with the depth of squad, etc, it would (top 4) be an admirable achievement and provide a good future platform.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
One season at a time. Once we win this one, only then can we focus on 2014/15.

Keeping your feet on the ground is vital.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
redandwhite3 said:
it was great win for you yesterday and thier no doubt your in the title race now. got tough away game coming up in two weeks but no reason why you can,t win their
Which game might that be?

WrongIslander

Seriously where is this idea that Skrtel was so great coming from? He was out of position numerous times, he had to make last ditch tackles because of HIS mistakes and the amount of times he allowed his man goal side was terrible. We got a clean sheet because Southampton didn't take their chances and Mignolet came up with a very important save.

WrongIslander

jimbo said:
Best case is Cardiff beat spurs, and spurs beat Chelsea. We need to just concentrate on wining out games, man city and Chelsea will drop points. Arsenal like always look like bottling it.
I would much rather secure 4th before even talking about the premiership. We need to not get carried away. The aim for now is champions league. Secure that and we can see br getting new contract and serious money getting spent in the summer! We can attract the top players! Imagine a world class left back, world class midfielder and sakho back! We will be even a bigger force, develop an field and happy days.

But more than anything would love Gerrard to pick a premier league model.
If that happens I'll give you the money myself. Chelsea are unbeaten at home for good reason and Spurs at best will be hoping for a draw which would be great for us.

As you say CL is the aim and we need to walk before we can run ... very difficult to not talk about the title sitting second but our squad depth and defence should bring us all back down to Earth; with that said it's difficult to stay on Earth when your attack is on another planet.

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
Massive result that, that was a tough away game against a good Southampton team.

I am quietly confident we'll get top four, however, after yesterday's game, if we continue on this form the title would not be underserved.

Credit to the Manager and the players, they have managed expectations well by reiterating the importance of just focusing on winning the next game, this keeps them focused with feet on the ground.

On to the next game.

Claymenza

SKrtel was great in the air and when clearing the loose balls. when it comes to following a run, he's not at his best because he gets caught in behind.

That was never in his game anyway, which is why sakho is so crucial when he comes back

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
The Elusive 19th said:
Not baiting but just curious.

Not a single mention to Suarez? Did you not ask him to be benched because of the goal drought?

A goal, an assist and a penalty.
no I didn't, muppet. Read the post.

LeoT

Uberkoen said:
Completely agree with this. I don't understand why some fans are still worried about Top 4 when we're in the run for the league.

Would most fan just settle for 4th if it was given to them now? I know I wouldn't. If Spurs are going to catch up to anyone in the Top 4 it will be Arsenal and not us.

Understandably it would be very difficult for us to win the league but we need to keep believing that we can do it. How often do we get a season like this where we can believe that we're in for it! C'mon guys show some optimism and enjoy it! Trust me, the feeling is amazing.
I don't understand why we are contemplating winning the league with over a quater of the season to go.

Geting top-4 is far more realistic to me.
That increases the chances of keeping Suarez, and has a massive influence on the type of players that would come to our club.
We can NOT get top quality players if we are NOT playing Europe.

Yesterday we were the thickness of the post from drawing at half time, how we didn't conceed 4 in the 1st half is beyond me.
We constantly remain 1 Kolo style slip away from losing against the Fulham, Swansea, and Southamptons of this world.

Its FAR too early to start talking about winning the league.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
LeoT said:
I don't understand why we are contemplating winning the league with over a quater of the season to go.

That increases the chances of keeping Suarez, and has a massive influence on the type of players that would come to our club.

Yesterday we were the thickness of the post from drawing at half time, how we didn't conceed 4 in the 1st half is beyond me.
We constantly remain 1 Kolo style slip away from losing against the Fulham, Swansea, and Southamptons of this world.

I agree about talking about the title, I don't see it myself (It's very improbable in my view and almost impossible), however to be 4 down would have required Southampton to have 4 shots on target, they had 1 and one that hit the post, they had one in the second half, though they had a lot of posession and build up they did little with it, ironically we could have been two up inside twenty if Sturridge had gone alone.

We do look like we will concede every game and that is an issue, however that second half was more like what I hope us to play like, we restricted them to very little and though they had posession a lot was in their half. They also had to use the flanks which both full backs played well and Srktel and Agger played well to shut out.

The tracking back of Sturridge has to be commended, it was the first time I've watched Liverpool close out a game without fuss just doing the basics right since the new year (Before anyone says Arsenal and Everton they were different games, they were effectively dead come the 50 min mark, this was very much alive even after Sterling's goal).

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
LeoT said:

In all fairness not many are saying we'll win the league, almost everyone is saying that it's nice to be in the mix and that we're in with a chance. Everyone can see that's correct especially being only 4 points off and in second place.

Onto the game, couldn't comment yesterday as i had to record it and didn't finish watching it till late. In the first half i actually wondered if the defensive half of our team had a bet on with the offensive half about whether we'd finish in the top 4. We seemed to give them so much space at the back but our attacking was excellent yet again. That changed in the second half though when Sterling came on for Coutinho who i've never seen play worse.

We did deserve to win on the overall game but i must admit i was worried in the first half. The ref could have given a penalty against Flanno and the strike that hit the post could easily have gone in. The game against Utd may be about 50/50 but the other 4 games before City you would expect us to win, that could pile the pressure on the teams around us and should see a gap open up between us and the chasing pack. If we can just get into those last 5 games with it a possibility i'll be a total nervous wreck come game day.

The best thing is i'm fully expecting us to be in that position because of the way our attackers are playing, such an exciting style to watch and it's so rare to see a boring LFC game now (even tho we still end up almost last on MOTD, can't get over being 4th on last night). As others have mentioned, win against Utd then we can all dream (tho i've stated since about Xmas we could do it this year and have always kept that belief) because the next 4 after that are clearly very winnable.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Hard game.
Southampton played some good footie - but so did we.

Guess who we've got next?
Yep - David's lot.

But first, we have to make sure our lot get through the international break.
Hopefully, Shrek face will fall off when the botox in his face fails to hold.
That or his comb-over flies away.
We win against this piss-poor side.

We also need some favours:

Sat 08/03/14

West Brom spank United.
Utd pick up a load of injuries and suspensions.

Chavs v Spurs
How the fuck are Spurs 3 points off 3rd place with all the matches they've lost?

Anyway, has to be a draw.
With lots of suspensions and injuries.
And Maureen headbutts a match official and gets fined £10 and gets a 10 game ban (circumvented with the use of hidden mics an ear pieces).

Sat 15/03/14

Hull v City - please hull turn these fuckers over.
Alex Bruce to prove that he's not there just because he's the boss's son and score all 3.

City pick up injuries and suspensions.

Villa v Chavs
Benteke has started to score again.
Villa to make the Chavs look like Chumps.

Sat 16/02/14

Mancs v LFC
Away win.
Suarez to make Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand look like the priests playing footie in that episode of father Ted.

Shrek (if he's not injured) to get send off for sarcastically clapping the ref.

NOTE TO FA: Howard Webb is an evil man, and must never be put in charge of another high-profile game ever again.
He is in fact part of a plot by the Communists to take over the world.
Your job - should you choose to accept it - is to appoint Martin Atkinson or some other competent referee.

Tell Webb that he has been relegated to tea making duties.

Spurs v Arsenal
A draw for this one.

Both sides pick up injuries and suspensions.
Wenger gets sent to the stands.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
No need to be so complicated. We will win all our remaining games and Chelsea, Man City And Arsenal got found out because they under declare Etoo, Yaya Toure and Sagna's age and got deducted 8 points each. Then we are champions.

Claymenza

Are there penalties if players lied about their age to the teams.

gasband

Ad-free Member
There have been cases of teams being banned or players being banned because of age fraud around the world :D

Anfield Iron

5 Times
Hope in your heart said:
Very proud of my club tonight.
Glad I didn't have to go very far into the thread to find the right note.

Winning games, under pressure, with style and grit, when we haven't won them, in similar circumstances, for a long time.

Yes. Yes, we can.

YNWA

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Didnt see the game lads. Delighted with result. Have match recorded so keen to watch it asap. Just getting to a stage now where I m starting to expect Liverpool to win and score at least three goals haha. Dangerous territory.
Anything better than 4th is a massive bonus. Loving this season really buzzing again and feel good factor is amongst the fans as well as players on pitch.

EDIT - deleted repetitions

gasband

Ad-free Member
I know we scored 3 goals WellRedKev, but there is no need to post 3 times. :lol: :p

trygve76

TIA New Signing
It's Monday and it still hasn't sunk in quite how well we looked on Saturday. That was a class performance, bar the last 15 minutes of the first half.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Was a great match which I managed to force my non football fan friends to watch before we went out partying.

3 points, 3 goals, clean sheet, Suarez player superb.

OT next - lets do it.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
Even the TV commentator said title was not beyond us while wrapping up the commentary. But I will not be too disappointed by qualifying for CL. A club of LFC's stature belong there.

Coming back to Saints game, played well during the first 20 minutes and but they overran us over the next 20-25!! Lallana hits the post and Rodriguez blasts over when scoring seemed less difficult. We rode our luck for sure. We had the game under control in the 2nd half. Once Sterling scored, Southampton's challenge just petered away!! The third goal was a bonus. I agree with Mauricio when he said that 3-0 scoreline flattered LFC. It was a far tighter match.

Saw Spurs post a nervous win against Cardiff on Sunday. Their next two games...against Chelski & Gooners is gonna have a big impact on our campaign. Our next is at OT. Will be very interesting!!

koptician

We'll go again!
shachart said:
I am amazed we are in the title race, we have the thinest squad, all key players have suffered injuries ( or banned ) during the season ( except Hendo and Coutinho ), amazing.

While Chelsea are in the driving seat, and we practicly need to win every game untill the end of the season to win the title, we are in a great form as a team, no outside distractions, I can't see a match where we are not favored to win. tough and close games - sure, but I think we are favored to win every home game, no matter the opposition, and our away games are tricky at best.
Er, that thug Williams did Coutinho's shoulder and we lost to S'hampton at home without him. Hendo missed the Arsenal clash to have his wrist in a cast

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Coutinho's injury was more his own fault than Williams' tbh