• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Sheff Utd v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/19 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Can another mod open this please - I can’t watch live.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Brilliant!!!

Our forwards weren't at their best, fluffed some golden chances, and still, our lads manage to get the three points. Somehow, again. It needed a bad error from Henderson their goalie, but Gini's volley was still well-taken, and it came from a spell of being dangerous in front of their goal.

Overall, it's fully deserved against a very tough team to break down, a very dangerous one on counters too, at a proper football ground with a real Kop, containing a noisy and aggressive support (in the good sense of the word). Sheffield Utd and Bramall Lane are definitely an enrichment for the PL. I hope they can confirm their good start and stay up.

As for us, it's twenty-one points in seven games. 21 percent of the needed points already in the bag. May that good run last for a long time yet!!!

Edit: Fabinho MoM for me. I lost count of all the times he broke up promising moves from Sheffield Utd. He gave them a proper fight, and it was really needed in that packed midfield. My two other votes go to Matip and Van Dijk, who didn't put a foot wrong today. The clean sheet is mainly down to those three, with the valuable help of Adrian, TAA and Robertson.

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
We were generally pants and the continued woeful form of both Mané and Salah is starting to become a real concern. Bobby wasn’t at his usual effervescent best and the midfield huffed and puffed but just blew.

Both full backs looked jaded but the centre halves were their usual imperious selves and Adrián solid when needed.

Divock looked a handful when he came on; Milly helped shore things up at the end.

Three points while playing well below form? If that had been City, the media would be calling it the hallmark of champions. As it’s us, prepare to be slagged off all weekend.

Incognito

The Normal One
Didn't win the 7th game for last 2 seasons. Did this time.
Didn't win at Sheffield since 91. Did this time.
Dare I say.. This might be..... :censored:

I'll take such 3 points for the next 30 games, if that's how it have to be. And as after every tough away game -
" City may not get all 3 here! "
Chase on suckerssss!

RIRed

Thoughts scribbled throughout the game. As ugly as they come. Lucky for us it’s a newly promoted team. Origi likes to slow the game and I don’t like it! Salah? Maybe it’s time to sale? Or at least bench him, too selfish, very ineffective!! Mane? Seems spent. Interestingly, Wednesday’s starting 11 played better than today’s starters. Granted it wasn’t an easy game. However, the team played poorly. HOWEVER, at the end of the day three points are always beautiful three points even when the game was not! MOTM? Nobody impressed me.

liver1

Origi when he came on made the difference he looked sharp and hungry for the ball.

Mane and Salah have looked a bit off recently, particularly Salah after the selfish gate incident.

I did warn that if you change one thing you affect another. An unselfish Salah is no good to anyone, a few times today he stopped to look around for team mates when selfish Salah would drive straight for goal and cause problems.

I want selfish Salah back, because hes more dangerous. Without that single mindedness he loses his sharpness and that extra edge.

[email protected]

Fuck Bramall Lane (well not them so much, looks a decent lot there but our record there which somehow everyone starting banging on about) and fuck Anthony Taylor. 3 points, on the bus home, next. Forget the performance and the finishing, let Klopp and co doing the worrying about that, we can put our feet up now and hopefully watch everyone else fuck up the weekend.

The Blades goalkeeper might be getting any offers for a drink from anyone in Manchester anytime soon though ;)

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Massive result considering how much we struggled. A bit lucky too but that goes with the territory. It's worrying though seeing the entire team so out of sorts after a week's rest no less. With the kind of schedule that's coming, it's important to keep on winning and that's exactly what we're doing.

Credit to Sheffield United; very few expected them to be so competitive. They pushed us to the limit. Can only hope that they put in the same effort when they play the mancs.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Wow! Talk about grinding out a win. Thought we were rubbish, but to get win away in the EPL, while playing poorly is what champions elect do isn't it?

Anyway, wonderful result. 3 points in the bag. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Go home Pep.

The European Cup winners AKA the best team in the world march on.

Lidoris

TIA New Signing
I'm sure nobody was thinking this game would be an easy walk in the park... So I'm MEGA happy with that 0-1! Good job!
Sheff Utd did great game and they deserves very good words!
Van Dijk is my vote for Man of the match, but for me the REAL hero today is Klopp. He changed the game, he saw some weak points and fixed them at the second half.
Big 3 points we've got today :love:

Alright Now

Thoughts scribbled throughout the game. As ugly as they come. Lucky for us it’s a newly promoted team. Origi likes to slow the game and I don’t like it! Salah? Maybe it’s time to sale? Or at least bench him, too selfish, very ineffective!! Mane? Seems spent. Interestingly, Wednesday’s starting 11 played better than today’s starters. Granted it wasn’t an easy game. However, the team played poorly. HOWEVER, at the end of the day three points are always beautiful three points even when the game was not! MOTM? Nobody impressed me.
Interesting. How much do you think we could get for Mo?

Dimitriy

Crappy game...Bad in the attacking third...Great result...Fighting opposition
I will not critique. Last year, we were about the same level at this point. We are about to come around with a very tough month and a half. UCL & 4 derbies. We will have to be incredibly fit.
At this point i look at the form, as if it were the preseason.
Beating, Leicester, manure, tot, and shity can define much of the outcome. And they will fight us !!!
All the best guys...Still, top of the league ! (8 points so far(y))

Werder4life

These are big fat 3 points. Never ever would we have won this 3 years ago - but these days the conviction to get it done is there.
Fair play to Sheffield - they had a good gameplan and stuck to it , but Liverpool these days has quite some steel to push back against the bullying.
I thought Fab and both centerbacks had a brilliant game today - Trent with a rather sluggish display again. Maybe he does need a break (which he can't really get , aside from playing Joe there).
Our front three looked a bit disconnected offensively but put a hard shift in anyway in defensive work.
Mo looks a bit off colour so far this year - but fortunately Mane (usually) and Gini today pick up the task of grinding one out.

Divok looked the part when he came on - warming up nicely for the derby.

Notasuperfan

What's with our players?? The entire starting 11 had nearly a week of rest and nearly the entire starting 11 seems as though they just came back from a gruelling champion leagues game.

Salah was fucking off today...Klopp should have a firm word with him for him to clear his head over the "selfish-gate" incident. Salah has to improve his decision-making. His decision-making today was horrendous to say the least.

I am surprised that Klopp didn't take advantage of the sheffield's tactic of not pressing the middle. I would have thought by having a fast and pacy runner in the midfield, it would have forced one of their centre-backs to step out giving us more space for our forwards to cut in. I mean, look at the space they were affording us in the middle. AOC may have been perfect for this game though with him being pacy and likes to run.

macca1970

You have to expect these type of games over the course of a season, where the opposition does well to stifle our play, and we fail to convert our gilt edged chances. On another day, you’d expect at least 2 of the big 3 chances to have been taken.

Defence did well, with Sheff Utd keeping two up front and having willing runners once they got hold of the ball. Our goal came from a shot from distance, which was lacking somewhat in the first half (most long shots were way off target). Since Coutinho left, and Ox got injured, we’ve broken these teams down with good set piece play, but again that wasn’t up to much today.

But we were patient, never panicked, and did just about enough to get the three points. We can now sit back and enjoy the rest of the weekend action, and Klopp can start planning for the important midweek European game.