• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Sheff Utd v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/19 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dutch

Ad-free Member
No man of the match for me, thought this was the worst match in a long time, 3 point top of the league, nuff said.

Last edited:

Nur der BvB09

I saw only the first half and was a bit disapointed with TAA oversee Mane s run in 1 vs 1 with the last sheffilds Defender. He s so good at puting perfect crosses in. Other than that we looked in some Situation BOSS because we never panicked. But what was new for me today was that scheff. utd. had a proper go on us that worried me a bit. Anyother Team could have done us pay which in reverse mean making us Angry like open the floatgates for us to reveange with all we have.
Lesson learned: you dont make us Angry we get the 3 Points all gut. You make us Angry and we demolish you. I take both of them.
Up the Reds. Very well done! We are proud of you all!!!YNWA

nikz200

Play wise, we were terrible. But MOTM i was torn between Virg and Adrian, special mention to Robbo, who i thought wasn't consistently good throughout the game but that block saved us big time. In the end had to go with Big Virgil Van Dijk. Sometimes it takes luck and sometimes its about creating that stout defence to lock out and bring the game home for us.

People having a go at Salah only need to look at Mane for the 2 clear misses which would have made this game completely comfortable for us. And that chance Firmino overplayed. Right there, he had no need to pass it to Mane, but probably because Mane would throw some tantrum he doesn't attempt to shoot there. Just shoot it Bobby.

Trent was off..... don't know why. his whole play felt weird.

I felt good seeing Origi play there, don't know why, just every time he had the ball it felt like he could do something with it.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
We can afford to draw 2 of the remaining 31 and still be guaranteed to finish the season as The Unbearable Invincibles.
Im sorry, but we need to try and win every game - esp after hat happened last year. No let-up. That's the only way we may just have a chance...

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Play wise, we were terrible. But MOTM i was torn between Virg and Adrian, special mention to Robbo, who i thought wasn't consistently good throughout the game but that block saved us big time. In the end had to go with Big Virgil Van Dijk. Sometimes it takes luck and sometimes its about creating that stout defence to lock out and bring the game home for us.

People having a go at Salah only need to look at Mane for the 2 clear misses which would have made this game completely comfortable for us. And that chance Firmino overplayed. Right there, he had no need to pass it to Mane, but probably because Mane would throw some tantrum he doesn't attempt to shoot there. Just shoot it Bobby.

Trent was off..... don't know why. his whole play felt weird.

I felt good seeing Origi play there, don't know why, just every time he had the ball it felt like he could do something with it.
I agree with that - Divock looked as though he was on it. Should maybe have come on sooner.

treboeth

I saw only the first half and was a bit disapointed with TAA oversee Mane s run in 1 vs 1 with the last sheffilds Defender. He s so good at puting perfect crosses in. Other than that we looked in some Situation BOSS because we never panicked. But what was new for me today was that scheff. utd. had a proper go on us that worried me a bit. Anyother Team could have done us pay which in reverse mean making us Angry like open the floatgates for us to reveange with all we have.
Lesson learned: you dont make us Angry we get the 3 Points all gut. You make us Angry and we demolish you. I take both of them.
Up the Reds. Very well done! We are proud of you all!!!YNWA
do you want to see it all?
I have the full match and can share if you want it.

Offer stands for all members of good standing :)

Flobs

FADA
That was soo much tougher than I imagined it would be.
VVD and Matip being soo much calmer than I aided by Adrian made sure i didn't have a nervous breakdown.
Gini with his nice flurry in the last 20 mins made sure I was happy at the end. So VVD,Matip and Gini my choices for MOTM in that order.
Our midfield really got stiffled and our front 3 just couldn't make a good decisssion or controll all day.
Big thumps up to Klopp for changing to 442 diamond to break the deadlock with Gini reacting as if his life depende on it. :)
Another good win at the end of the day against a very well organised side.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Could have been 3 up at half time if finishing was a bit sharper. Last week vs Chelsea it could have been sewn up earlier.
Soon, someone is going to get a hammering.
Today was managed and professional. Not a cause for worry as we will improve.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
That was a tough game to watch. I fucking hate Anthony Taylor who always allows a very physical game and constantly misses the cheap shots that these lesser Championship teams always resort to when playing us. No problem with a team being up for it, but it pisses me off when ref's allow opposition to get away with small but blatant fouls. Always pleases me to when after deliberately trying to slow the game down, we do the same back to them after going in front.

Refereeing aside, we were poo for the majority of that game. I was thinking to myself just before his goal that Gini really needs to improve his shooting from outside the box. Far too many mishits when he had every right to be at least testing the 'keeper.

Front 3 certainly weren't at the races today. Defenders who put early pressue on our front 3 with their back to goal seem to have the most success with disrupting our play, particularly Mo who I thought had really poor control today, nothing went right for him. We also simply can't be missing those one on one chances. Trent was another to have a bit of a stinker, very hot and cold and some of his defending was piss poor.

Of the few positives, Fabinho, VVD and Matip were excellent for the most part.

Should also mention the conditions, whcih must have made it difficult to play in. Seemed like the grass was quite long, slowing the play down a bit when it did dry out, otherwise making it slick when wet. Wind wouldn't have made it any easier as well.

Yep, gutsed it out for 3 points and we will take them all, but not many will be happy with the quality we showed today.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Not the prettiest of games to watch,
(conditions played a big part, I'd say)
but the most beautiful of scores

I will happily take that all season long.

3 points is all that matters

7 outta 7, on we go.....

#winning mentality!

Breeze10

I think the "friction" between Mo and Mane has taken a bit of fluidity out of the ruthlessness regarding finishing, all of our forwards appear to be guarded and looking for a pass as opposed to the shot at goal, we need our triumvirate to focus all intentions and efforts at getting the ball in the back of the net, happy with the 3 points though and I genuinely believe this will be the season, the lads will come right. YNWA

yiannos33

Believe
3 points is what matters. No injuries bonus. I needed a stiff drink or two after the game. We missed some
sitters but so did they. This game could of went either way. Fortunate we got all the points.
Everton is shit!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I think they haven't got enough praise on here so far for their performance. I for one thought that they were brilliant. A clear gameplay allowed them always to find space for their counter-attacks and to hurt us, while they almost always managed to stifle us when defending.

The gulf in individual quality made the difference in the end. Had everything gone 'normal', Mané would have scored his two chances in the first half. We would then have got the penalty for that foul on Mané (VAR going missed again...) and then Salah would have scored his one-on-one. It could have ended 5-0 for us and a much easier game of course.

But on the other hand, as our forwards had an off-day, the Sheffield players continued to ask questions. They could easily have equalised on that chance for Clarke towards the end. They deserve credit for trying everything they could until the last whistle. Our lads did well to withstand their pressure towards the end.
Totally agree they just kept forcing us out wide from the back and then put pressure on the crosser in the final 3rd, there organisation and tactics forced us to play how they wanted us to.

As Jurgen said we needed to get in the half spaces by playing the vertical ball or having a player in the advanced midfield positions who can beat a man or move through the lines with the ball.

RIRed

I think the "friction" between Mo and Mane has taken a bit of fluidity out of the ruthlessness regarding finishing, all of our forwards appear to be guarded and looking for a pass as opposed to the shot at goal, we need our triumvirate to focus all intentions and efforts at getting the ball in the back of the net, happy with the 3 points though and I genuinely believe this will be the season, the lads will come right. YNWA
I would like to believe our players are professionals and can leave it behind. Only time will tell

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
A win is a win is a win is a win.
It was imperative we matched Sheffield United for effort and work rate and we did. For that I give us 10/10. Concentration and focus were spot on.
Footballing wise we were not as fluid as normal but sometimes you have to brawl to get the points.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I know about winning fugly but that was gold star fugly!
Didn't expect an easy outing but we made it a lot harder than it needed to be.
Whatever was in their heads,you could only guess,thank christ for Gini's effort but he stuffed up before it.
MOTM? Think I'll pass.

AngryAsianRed

Truth be told I'm a little worried about our recent toothless performances. It's kind of deja vu seeing as how last season we were going through the exact same thing (playing badly but winning early on in the season) and then our luck ran out and we drew like 6 games in Jan/Feb and dropped 12 points. I'm trying to remain sanguine like everyone else but I just can't help being worried seeing as how our open play creativity is so sorely lacking, especially last night against a weak Sheffield United team when our only clear chances came from their mistakes.

jim bouki

I definitely underestimated them pre game. They were well drilled and fought very hard for everything, created some decent chances and were unlucky to concede the goal they did, albeit were just as lucky mo and mane missed some absolute sitters. They definitely made us work harder than most teams we've faced this year and fair play to them that's what their coach asked for pre game and their performance was reflective of that. But geez this reds team just know how to win games and get over the line don't they. Hallmark of champions.

RedinAsia

Definitely our luckiest ugly win so far. Gave my 3 MOM votes to Virgil, Joel and Fab. Apart from Adrian, the rest of the team struggled to play as a team. Trent's defensive play is akin to Moreno and opposing teams recognise this weakness with a high % of their attacks being made down our right flank. This is a fantastic winning streak so hope we can break a few more records. YNWA

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Our next 5 league games are tough.
We are facing Leicester, utd, spurs,villa and city.
We have had a very strong defence so far, but if we are to get maximum points, it will come down to our attack firing all cylinders .
Good see that keita and origi will be available, they will have a big role in the upcoming fixtures.

Sweeting

Truth be told I'm a little worried about our recent toothless performances. It's kind of deja vu seeing as how last season we were going through the exact same thing (playing badly but winning early on in the season) and then our luck ran out and we drew like 6 games in Jan/Feb and dropped 12 points. I'm trying to remain sanguine like everyone else but I just can't help being worried seeing as how our open play creativity is so sorely lacking, especially last night against a weak Sheffield United team when our only clear chances came from their mistakes.
I wouldn't worry about it. We have seen two seasons of these forwards now so we know that they will click back into gear pretty quickly when we need them.

I think "our luck ran out" is a poor choice of words to describe last season. The half of the campaign was very controlled and measured, opposition teams came away thinking they played well but losing. We managed the game. That is again what we did.

The games we dropped points, in the league, were loss to Man City away and then drew with Leicester home, West Ham away, Man Utd away & Everton away (not in a row - we beat Brighton, Palace, Watford and Bournemouth in between). In any normal season they wouldn't even be considered bad results and since the Everton game we have won 15 straight PL matches.

Writing off the achievements of the squad by saying "our luck ran out" doesn't sit right with me when we are quite possibly watching the best Liverpool team in our illustrious history.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Watching the match back I don't think it was as fluky a win as some are saying.
I think we find a way to score whether the goalie fucks up or not, we always do.
Sheffield were solid defensively, gave it everything they had with the home crowd roaring them on. The conditions were horrid and perfectly suited to the tactics Sheffield deployed to stop us.
Everything was set up for this one to go bad for us, yet, we win.
This win has filled me with more confidence than ever.
This team finds solutions and will not lie down

Sweeting

Interestingly I saw my mate, who is a Man Utd fan, after the game. He seemed to think we battered them and felt Sheff Utd could have played for a week and never score.

Not sure I agree with that assessment, although I do think we deserved to win, but made me think that it is sometimes hard to have objectives opinions on fixtures you are emotionally involved in. To us Callum Robinson having a shot go 5 yards wide from 20 yards out is a dangerous chance - to a neutral it is a harmless shot that went miles wide.