• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Sheff Utd v Liverpool (EPL 28/9/19 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Interestingly I saw my mate, who is a Man Utd fan, after the game. He seemed to think we battered them and felt Sheff Utd could have played for a week and never score.

Not sure I agree with that assessment, although I do think we deserved to win, but made me think that it is sometimes hard to have objectives opinions on fixtures you are emotionally involved in. To us Callum Robinson having a shot go 5 yards wide from 20 yards out is a dangerous chance - to a neutral it is a harmless shot that went miles wide.
How dare they shoot at our keeper! Don’t they know who we are.. What we want to achieve!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Tough conditions and a physicaly strong , well organised opponent. when you have the amount of posession we did you deserve to win despite being below our best. Sheff U had 11 men goalside of the ball for most of the match and it is never easy to break down teams like that. Thought Fabinho had a good game but as we all know the famous front three were rarely in the game. The fact that Div did well when he came on suggested that the others should have done better. A number of our guys were bossed physically , often a problem

wibseyred

We certainly weren't at the races today making it ridiculously hard for ourselves against what can only be described as a workmanlike team in Sheffield United. The chances we squandered when it looked harder to miss than score made the final quarter of the match a very chancy affair. A 1-0 lead is not something that a win can be relied upon of achieving, and yet we did finally win and show how resilient a side we have become. The stats at the end of the game showed the only thing the Blades bested us at was they won more corners. Thankfully, it was another win and three more points to our total.

Watching the run up to the game on BT Sport I thought I was watching Sheffield United's own TV channel. It was virtually all about the Blades and very little about us. And when it came to the match commentary I got the distinct impression that they (including Steve McManaman) were hoping for an upset and to praise the giant killers of the Champions League winners. Nuts to them.
BT were hoping for us to have our "Norwich" result.

Craig_Johnston

Interestingly I saw my mate, who is a Man Utd fan, after the game. He seemed to think we battered them and felt Sheff Utd could have played for a week and never score.

Not sure I agree with that assessment, although I do think we deserved to win, but made me think that it is sometimes hard to have objectives opinions on fixtures you are emotionally involved in. To us Callum Robinson having a shot go 5 yards wide from 20 yards out is a dangerous chance - to a neutral it is a harmless shot that went miles wide.
A Man U fan is not neutral

Commando

Ad-free Member
We certainly weren't at the races today making it ridiculously hard for ourselves against what can only be described as a workmanlike team in Sheffield United. The chances we squandered when it looked harder to miss than score made the final quarter of the match a very chancy affair. A 1-0 lead is not something that a win can be relied upon of achieving, and yet we did finally win and show how resilient a side we have become. The stats at the end of the game showed the only thing the Blades bested us at was they won more corners. Thankfully, it was another win and three more points to our total.

Watching the run up to the game on BT Sport I thought I was watching Sheffield United's own TV channel. It was virtually all about the Blades and very little about us. And when it came to the match commentary I got the distinct impression that they (including Steve McManaman) were hoping for an upset and to praise the giant killers of the Champions League winners. Nuts to them.
I mentioned this in an earlier post. I thought that the whole BT coverage was crap yesterday. Starting with the build up, then the commentary, HT and FT analysis. There were numerous times that whoever was controlling the cameras in the editing suite would switch to a view of the crowd or either of the managers without the commentary team referencing what they were seeing. Two that stick in my mind were when we got a throw in just in their half, on the halfway line on our right. The camera switched to Jurgen. Neither Fletcher or Macca said anything regarding Jurgen. When it switched back to the play Robbo is bringing the ball out from defence. Then Sheffield United had a GK. The camera switched to Jurgen, who from his body language is watching the ball sail past him and into touch. The camera switches back to the play as Robbo retrieves the ball to take the throw in. Again none of the commentary team alluded to what had happened.

Amateurish.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Well, it was a tough match. Sheffield made us work hard for the three points; our front three were off form, our midfield lacked creativity and if their finishing hadn't been so poor we could easily have lost.

It was made tougher by the early kick off (we never seem to play well with 12:30 kick-offs), and having to play against twelve men. You just know, when the ref is anthony "Are you ready for my close up Mr Guardiola" taylor, few decisions, if any, are going to go our way.

I mean, how was this not a penalty?

No doubt the VAR team were watching "You've been framed", rather than the match.

Last edited:

Show me the Mane

Better teams have different attributes than Sheffield United, each game has different problems. We didn't play great but credit to the other side for making things hard.
We have shown that we can play proper football, we know we can do that. We also have shown that in games like this one and against the likes of Burnley we can scrap it out with the best of them.
That's why we got 97 points last season, won the CL and are 7/7 this time around because we can adapt to any game situation

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I am somewhat miffed that we are hearing how great Sheffield United were against us. They are quite a good side that will stay up comfortably. The played ok against us but not great. On another day we could have scored 4 or 5 against them. Salah one on one, 4-2 in the box, Mane penalty appeal, Trent's kick for the Rugby Union and generally making chances that sadly were not taken.

Oh and we got a lucky break when the keeper made a pigs ear of a simply shot. Mmmm about time too ! Anyone that watched our keepers over the years will be able to say that EVERYONE of them made a massive mistake that cost us. From Tommy Lawrence to Adrian not one of them didn't fuck up. So I will take the Sheffield United Keeper letting one in for us.

Nur der BvB09

Well, it was a tough match. Sheffield made us work hard for the three points; our front three were off form, our midfield lacked creativity and if their finishing hadn't been so poor we could easily have lost.

It was made tougher by the early kick off (we never seem to play well with 12:30 kick-offs), and having to play against twelve men. You just know, when the ref is anthony "Are you ready for my close up Mr Guardiola" taylor, few decisions, if any, are going to go our way.

I mean, how was this not a penalty?

No doubt the VAR team were watching "You've been framed", rather than the match.
I saw it now first! FFS that is a stright Red imo and without a shout of a doubt a Pen as well. He went to brake Mane s leg there

Claymenza

I know i'll get slated for this but i feel salah and mane need a rest. Origi and Shaq are more than capable stand ins.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
That game proved we can grind a result out when not at our best and and also withstand a physical battering from a team of thugs!! On any other day with a different referee, they would’ve had about 8 yellow cards and a sending off.
Virgil was easily our best player. Mo was awful, his worst game of the season, Bobby was anonymous for most of the game and Mane was very wasteful ( I don’t want to hear him moan ever again about not being passed to)
But it was a huge 3 points and we move on to the next game.
Oh yeh, I forgot to mention, Everton are shite!! Shower of useless twats!!

jaffod

They can alway hide behind the "it must be a clear mistake from the ref". This was the third time we where fucked by the ref and VAR and it is only September.
I'd say 4 if you want to include the Super Cup. 2 non-penalties given against us but endorsed by VAR and 2 blatant penalties we should have had not given by VAR. I naively thought we'd get a fairer crack of the whip once it was introduced.

Show me the Mane

Its 2019, the refs should have a mobile phone size tv in their pocket
showing replays. it saves them time having to go over to the half way line
the thing they are trying to do is save time on the replays but it shouldn't take more than a minute, they are going about it half cocked and poor VAR gets the bad name for the monkeys running the system

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I'd say 4 if you want to include the Super Cup. 2 non-penalties given against us but endorsed by VAR and 2 blatant penalties we should have had not given by VAR. I naively thought we'd get a fairer crack of the whip once it was introduced.
In my naivety I thought the same. But the theme is recurring.......
The decisions to date have not mattered as we won the matches, but take a Leicester decision like last year, that cost us points and the value of VAR will be seriously questioned.

GaryC

If I recall correctly, when Jurgen first joined, he mentioned that he wants his team to fight and work harder than the opponents right till the very end no matter the outcome of the game. His team may be outplayed but never outfought.
This team is that team, a team that no one wants to face and a team that will create nightmares for Pep!