• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Shrewsbury v Liverpool (FAC 26/1/20 5pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Matip [off 79’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Larouci

• Fabinho

• Chirivella

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Jones [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Elliot [off 71’]

• Minamino [off 85’]

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Origi

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 71’]

• Salah [on 79’]

• Firmino [85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren, Larouci, Fabinho, Chirivella, Jones, Minamino, Elliott, Origi.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Erm... yeah. As you can imagine, I’ve had to change this write-up quite a bit during the second half!

Credit to our hosts: they gave it their all and were unlucky with the own goal at the start of the second half. Having said that, we should have had a penalty for handball in the first half and their own penalty was fortunate, to say the least. And their equaliser was offside. Still...

Whilst it was good to see Lovren and Matip back, both looked in need of the outing and Joel, in particular, made a couple of howlers. Fabinho also looked more than a bit rusty upon his return and all three of them went AWOL in the build-up to Shrewsbury’s penalty; both central defenders were awful for the second Shrewsbury goal. On this form, it’s impossible to see any of them getting much playing time over the next few games.

Good save by Adrián from Whalley (a big Liverpool fan, by the way) in the first half, and again from Lang in the second, demonstrating once more that he is as good a number two goalkeeper as you will find- despite what a certain poster here might think. Our ‘keeper could not be blamed for either goal.

Larouci and Williams were no more than okay, although the limited quality of the opposition has to be taken into consideration. Larouci’s foul was definitely outside the box and it should have been a free kick, not a penalty. No VAR to correct the decision, sadly.

Jones took his goal well but didn’t do much else, tending to take one touch too many; Elliott was unusually subdued; Minamino huffed and puffed to little avail but is still finding his feet.

Big Div is clearly conserving his energy for the latter stages of the Champions League.

Chirivella had a superb game, getting stuck in when required, keeping things simple when needed and playing some fine passes; his through-ball to Jones for the opening goal was quite delightful. Very close between our two Spaniards for MOTM honours today.

WOTM: my other half’s sister, who is staying with us this weekend. She makes a fantastic chocolate millefeuille. Almost makes up for her kids being annoying little Chelsea-supporting brats. Almost.

P.S. Manchester United beat League One opposition today and we didn’t. They’re clearly better than us.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Lovren, matip and Fabinho are just back from injury so to be rusty is expected.
Origi and Minamino were terrible. Invisible men.
Sloppy play throughout.
Chivrella was decent.
Larouci looks awkward.
Adrian was ok.

I’m glad for the replay. Give out fringe a chance at anfield. Shrewsbury get the replay they deserve.

Everyone’s a winner.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Worse performance for a long long time, no surprise.. we played with the same panic strewed bullshit as our captain has produced most of his career here. Only slightly worse than Matip though. Chuckle brothers would be a compliment.

Kids did ok, experienced players should be ashamed of themselves bar Adrian.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I watched first half of first half. Got bored and turned over. Needed a football Time Out this weekend I guess.
Those same 11 can play again as what I saw was a shambles bar Adrian.

Red over the water

Bunch of balls. I only saw the second half and at 2-0 against a lower team it’s all over, right? Wrong!

Passing, rubbish. Lovren - what was that? Rubbish! Get Philips back. I can’t be bothered working through the whole thing.

Final word is one of credit to Shrewsbury. Plenty of shots, they did very well and have earned a replay at Anfield. Too many of our boys believing the hype. Hopefully Klopp lays into them.

I fully expect we will put it right and win the replay, but we don’t need more games. We’ve seen so much good stuff that we are getting spoiled. That was a reality check.

Joe Gomez x

The lot should be embarrassed and ashamed apart from Adrian and Neco. Harsh on the likes of Elliott, but it shows how highly thought of he is that I’m dissatisfied with a 16 year olds performance. Lovren and Matip and Fabinho have to take a look at themselves and Origi. Just rusty and poor but a rusty Liverpool still should be doing these.

Herb

Fair play to them, they deserved what they got out of it. Unfortunately other than Adrian nobody really put in anywhere near the sort of performance they were capable of. Jones should glimpses but faded. Suspect some of those lads might get a strip torn off them tonight.

Sweeting

Worse performance for a long long time, no surprise.. we played with the same panic strewed bullshit as our captain has produced most of his career here. Only slightly worse than Matip though. Chuckle brothers would be a compliment.

Kids did ok, experienced players should be ashamed of themselves bar Adrian.
Turning 31 soon. Hopefully we don't see much more of him before he leaves.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Well played young reds, you really looked impressive.
As for fabinho, Matip and lovren, hope they have a delete button somewhere. Massively let down the team.
Let's learn and build from this.
And well played Shrewsbury, they kept going and were brilliant and deserved that result.

alaskared

Kloppite
Fab, Matip and Lovren looked rusty, hard to expect otherwise.

This type of game and result is what happens when you get too used to winning and take it for granted. Perfect example of why not taking anything for granted is how you win.
Adrian MOTM for me, kept us in it.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Was an entertaining watch for a Sunday. Have to understand the three defensive players coming back from injury trying to work themselves to sharpness is always a risk. In fairness, Shrewsbury looked up for it from the off. Good energy from them, pressing and anticipating, creating counters. Their pressure is what causes those rusty errors. Both keepers sharp. Jones a bit of a wild rabbit for me tonight. Nice finish for his goal but a bit of a ball hog and caught in possession a few times. Fair enough result. Give Shrewsbury a taste of the limelight at Anfield; give the younger players and senior bench players another go.

Plamen

The lot should be embarrassed and ashamed apart from Adrian and Neco. Harsh on the likes of Elliott, but it shows how highly thought of he is that I’m dissatisfied with a 16 year olds performance. Lovren and Matip and Fabinho have to take a look at themselves and Origi. Just rusty and poor but a rusty Liverpool still should be doing these.
Why so harsh on Joel and Fabinho?They have been out for a while so it will take time to get back to their best.