Post Match: Shrewsbury v Liverpool (FAC 26/1/20 5pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Matip [off 79’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Larouci

• Fabinho

• Chirivella

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Jones [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Elliot [off 71’]

• Minamino [off 85’]

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Origi

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 71’]

• Salah [on 79’]

• Firmino [85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilkored08

Origi was very poor. Well all the senior players were indeed poor.
Adrian and Pedro played well.
Jones took his goal well.
Matip and Lovren were shocking! Lovren lacked leadership.

Shrewsbury performed well and deserved a draw. They created some good chances.
Playing all the youngsters in the replay is risky as Shrewsbury have some physical players. I seem to remember a tasty challenge on Williams.
And also a pen that wasn't... The foul occurred outside the box....

rockafella

Registered before you did
It's also probably the case that if the side is made up mostly of players who don't train with the first team, then the most suitable manager to manage the game is the one who knows the players best.

I am interested to see the lineup - does Jones count as a youth player or first team player for example.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Only just been able to watch it. Very dissapointing performance. I know 3 players are only just back from injury and a lot of youngsters were out there but that is not really an excuse for the sloppy passing and generally lethargic dislpay. Best 3 players were Adrian, Ghirivella and Jones. Fab was caught in posession so often it was ridiculous , Origi did not look interested until the last ten minutes, Minamuto seems to be struggling to find his feet ( Id he really a central striker ?) The CB,s played more like CBeebies and the full backs needed more movement in front of them and obviously still have a lot to learn. I felt the more senior players should have been geeing things up and looking as if they wanted to win after we took the lead insted of trying to look as if they could stroll through at walking pace. There were certainly players out there who looked as if they did not want to be there which is not acceptable when they are wearing that red shirt.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
While I agree with what JK is saying about the winter break, I think he said it when he was still angry about throwing a 2-0 lead away. That should never have happened. Most of the first team squad will benefit from the 2 week break, but there are several who could do with more playing time. Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri (if fit), Lallana (if fit) Minamino and Origi. All of the aforementioned need games, not a rest, and the replay against Shrewsbury is the ideal opportunity.
Maybe JK should reconsider, now that he’s had 24hrs to calm down.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Just seen that Jurgen says he will not even attend the replay and no senior players will be involved. Personally I feel this is wrong and players like Adrian ,Lovren, Matip, Keita, Shaquiri, Minamino and Origi should be involved and those that played yesterday should be told to get their fingers out !

Wilkored08

Just seen that Jurgen says he will not even attend the replay and no senior players will be involved. Personally I feel this is wrong and players like Adrian ,Lovren, Matip, Keita, Shaquiri, Minamino and Origi should be involved and those that played yesterday should be told to get their fingers out !
Use it as another training session....they need it.

Last edited:

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
While I agree with what JK is saying about the winter break, I think he said it when he was still angry about throwing a 2-0 lead away. That should never have happened. Most of the first team squad will benefit from the 2 week break, but there are several who could do with more playing time. Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri (if fit), Lallana (if fit) Minamino and Origi. All of the aforementioned need games, not a rest, and the replay against Shrewsbury is the ideal opportunity.
Maybe JK should reconsider, now that he’s had 24hrs to calm down.
For what it's worth, I think he will :) Hope so anyway. The kids haven't got a fucking prayer on their own.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
And also a pen that wasn't... The foul occurred outside the box....
You're right, it wasn't a pen, but simon "pieman" hooper was way too far behind play to see. He's a ref better suited to walking football and could challenge jon "pillsbury" moss's for the title as PGMOL's fattest, least fit ref.

Having said that, we didn't play well enough to deserve the win.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I have no idea how Adrian is our 2nd choice keeper. He is simply an outstanding Keeper, and probably one of the top 5 keeper sin the PL this season. We are so very lucky to have him.

If anybody wanted to understand the importance of leaders on the pitch, see this game. There are days when nothing comes off right, passes, dribbles, shots, even tackles. t happens. But there is no excuse for not putting in the effort, running, closing and back tracking. There was no one on the pitch to give the players an earful. Origi, Elliot, Jones, Pedro simply did not put in the mileage. Fabinho and Minamino workrate in the 2nd half was also nothing to be proud of but I guess both coming back from injuries have better excuses.

I think Klopp made a big error here with his game management. He knew the replay would fall on the break, so he should have brought in Salah and Firmino earlier ( maybe before Ox ). It's one thing to "throw" the League cup because of the world club championship, throwing the FA cup is another. If anything, our lead in the PL should allow Klopp to give more consideration to the CL and the FA cup.

shachart

You're right, it wasn't a pen, but simon "pieman" hooper was way too far behind play to see. He's a ref better suited to walking football and could challenge jon "pillsbury" moss's for the title as PGMOL's fattest, least fit ref.

Having said that, we didn't play well enough to deserve the win.
No one will argue that the pen should never have been given. Having said that, looking at the replays from all the angels, we should have been down to 10 men. ot even trying to go for the ball.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Perfectly fine to disagree, my friend :). Having said that, which part do you disagree with? In my two posts with Lovren, I said he has done the job as fourth choice CB (maybe third before the re-emergence of Joe). I have also said that VVD has played a role in that (and VVD likely has played that role for our entire defensive line). My point is simply that when called on this season, Lovren performed well and, in some instances, even had excellent games, including against City. I'll stick by my argument that he's a good fourth choice CB for us.

Plus, I liked his goal against the Bitters.
As I remember you said that people were quick to criticise Lovren (or words to that effect) and he's good enough to be 4th choice. I think he gets what he deserves and is lucky to still be at the club. His injury record is poor and he always has a "full Lovren" performance in him. I could accept him struggling against better opposition but our 2nd choice CB pair should have enough about them to deal with that side yesterday even making allowance for them coming back from injury.
I think he'll be sold in the summer.

Limiescouse

No one will argue that the pen should never have been given. Having said that, looking at the replays from all the angels, we should have been down to 10 men. ot even trying to go for the ball.
That's an incredibly harsh interpretation. However, we extend out that it wasn't pen then in THAT situation he should have gone.

Flobs

FADA
Look carefully as I mentionned above Larouci actually got contact on the ball before making contact with the player. Hard to see and not something I expect the Ref to have seen clearly but it was there. Otherwise that was a real awful control by the attacker.
However you are correct if the ref hadn't given the pen but a free kick he would have given the straight red instead of the yellow. Perhaps the free kick and red would have been better for us?

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Fair point, last defender and all that.

It was a rash challenge by Larouci; if he had just run along side Laurent, rather than fouling him, I think Adrian would have got to the ball before Laurent, who's first touch was poor.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Danny_

I partly do agree with redbj’s post. In a vacuum, the rules are the rules and everyone knew when a possible replay date was going to happen. It’s not just us, the replay affects 3 other PL teams: Newcastle, Southampton, and Spurs.

Here is how the replays impact each clubs break:

Newcastle: break w/o replay 15 days. Break w/replay 12 days
Liverpool: break w/o replay 14 days. Break w/replay 11 days
Spurs: break w/o replay 14 days. Break w/replay 11 days
Southampton: break w/o replay 14 days. Break w/replay 10 days.

So Southampton’s break is most impacted by the replay.

EDIT: and there’s a challenge with picking different dates as it starts bumping up against CL ties. The midweek after the replays are scheduled would fall in between the two rounds of winter-break Premier League games so make even less sense, and the week after that (starting 17 February) Spurs and Liverpool play in the Champions League.
To which I would respond - the rules are the rules and we can play whoever the hell we want if you want to quote the rules. It's about time someone took a stand on this - everyone knows that the FA cup was devalued a long time ago. It's just not politcally correct or whatever you want to call it to say that. You get almost nothing for winning. Winning it doesn't save a manager's job if he is having a shit season and you risk getting players injured/tired etc. Until such time as they give a CL place for winning it, that is unfortunately the reality of it. People can talk about tradition etc and 'the mystique of the FA cup', small teams big chance to be giant killers. But, I think that went out the door a long time ago. It was different back in the 80s when it actually meant something to win it.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
To which I would respond - the rules are the rules and we can play whoever the hell we want if you want to quote the rules. It's about time someone took a stand on this - everyone knows that the FA cup was devalued a long time ago. It's just not politcally correct or whatever you want to call it to say that. You get almost nothing for winning. Winning it doesn't save a manager's job if he is having a shit season and you risk getting players injured/tired etc. Until such time as they give a CL place for winning it, that is unfortunately the reality of it. People can talk about tradition etc and 'the mystique of the FA cup', small teams big chance to be giant killers. But, I think that went out the door a long time ago. It was different back in the 80s when it actually meant something to win it.
No disagreement from me.

Flobs

FADA
Fair point, last defender and all that.

It was a rash challenge by Larouci; if he had just run along side Laurent, rather than fouling him, I think Adrian would have got to the ball before Laurent, who's first touch was poor.

Anyway, water under the bridge.
Impossible to say as Larouci touched the ball so didn't foul him as such, the attackers first touch could have been good for all we know. Then it was Larouci's touch that made Adrian have to readjust. Can't change anything now though. ;)

shachart

No disagreement from me.
The number one trophy is no doubt the PL. Always was. When football became more and more global, CL became more important. It is also worth mentioning that European titles were less a priority in the 80s early 90s because of the ban against English teams. So the FA cup became 3rd on the priority list, and the league cup dropped to 4th.
Would I have rated the world club cup more than the FA ? No.
We are liverpool and we compete for everything. City's treble last season was more than impressive. If anything we should appreciate it more now.

Being out of the FA cup so early will sting.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Not for me. Don't give a doodles about the FA cup - a nice to have rather than a must have. Of all the cups we were in - my order is 1. PL 2. Champions League 3. World Club 4. European Super Cup 5. FA Cup 6. League Cup 7 Community Shield

Also, I completely get Klopp and his squad taking the week off when the FA Cup replay is on but there are 1st team players that could do with the minutes - Lovren, Matip, Keita, Minamino, Shaq, Fab, Milner - do they need a break as they've already had one? - then there's the likes of Williams, Larouci, Chirivela, Elliot, Jones.

Could make a pretty decent 11 there.

But bombing out of the FA cup doesn't bother me.

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
Personal opinion, I think Klopp has screwed up. Apart from the PR after his announcement, which has not been good, there is absolutely no excuse to throw away a trophy opportunity. As mentioned by many, plenty of players need game time, not least those returning from injury, trying to break through or new to the club. There is still an 11 day gap to the next game and it is not the FA or PL's fault the game has gone to a replay.
To me, throw the same 11 out again, get your ass in the dugout, stop whining and get the game won.

Note - My view is any professional footballer should be capable of playing at least 50 games a season, at full speed, and should be damned grateful that their job is kicking a bag of wind around for a ridiculously large pay cheque and not real work!

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
The Matip-Lovren partnership at the back is good enough to strike fear into any....

...Liverpool midfield.

Proof of VVD's world class-ness. Both Lovren and Mario looked pretty ok when they played there prior to their injuries. Put them together and they look like dumb and dumber.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Yes it is incompetent to fail to beat Shrewsbury, especially when you're 2-0 up but that's not really the point. The point is the scheduling of the replay. That's nothing to do with us. It was pure luck that we drew Shrewsbury in this round. What if we'd drawn City or Chelsea or Spurs and ended up needing a replay? I doubt anyone could claim that was down to our own incompetence. It's the principle of arranging matches during pre-determined rest periods that JK is making a stand on and good for him.

Also, it's not just 2 days work. It's analysis, it''s tactical training and preparation for a team who will have barely played with each other. All this three days after we've played Southampton. Our 6th game in 17 days. Whatever he does is fine by me and it should be fine with everyone. We haven't got to this stage through JK making the wrong decisions.
I agree that the scheduling of the replay should have been better planned and ideally not coincide with the winter break. Or as @Sweeting suggested, scrap the replay and allow the lower ranked of the two teams to decide to play the game at home or away (Actually I think the format is the root cause of the issue but it would take time to correct it). But I can empathize with the FA in this instance.

For one, this winter break only applies to EPL clubs; those in the Championship and below are not given such as break. The dates of the replay would have to take into account the schedule of the lower leagues. I would say Shrewsbury is more affected by the replay as they have a longer League season and more cup games to play as compared to us.

Secondly, I presume the FA would have done some analysis to determine the number of replays that possibly would have taken place before deciding on this date. Lets assume that a chance of a replay is 1 in 3 (equal propensity to win, lose or draw). So out of the 64 teams in the fifth round, only 21 teams would be affected, and not all of them are from the EPL. Distill the figures further and only a handful of EPL clubs should have to undergo a replay.

Thirdly, this is the first year that the winter break has been introduced. I would think that there would be some hiccups along the way and they would be rectified in the next season.

Also, I think we have a number of players who are returning from injury, so it would be an ideal match to improve their match fitness. For the other players who have been through the season, they could still go for a break, as with Klopp.

I would support Klopp's decision and admire his stance of sticking by his principles and promises. I just find it odd that he would use this opportunity to restate his views on the fixture congestion and say the kids would play.

In his words, "that is not so cool".

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Our two centerbacks started the last two champion league finals for us and they looked lost without Virgil to direct them. Terrible showing by them. Larouci got burned but he's a kid. They have no such excuse.

jim bouki

Above all I think this decision is about JK himself and him getting a break. If there's anything that might encourage him to walk away it's the non-stop nature of managing Liverpool and the fixture overload. We should be right behind him on this.
Couldn't agree more. People think just because they earn huge money that they should be working that hard, but Klopp oversees all aspects of football at the club that goes well beyond the first team. It must be mentally and physically exhausting being the focal point of a machine the size of Liverpool Football Club. If anyone has deserved a well earned rest it's Jurgen and these gang of reds. It could well be the difference between going all the way in both the PL and CL without risk of burn out. One sub par performance from our youngsters against a non-league team should not change this!

GaryC

Ideally the senior players who played at Shrewsbury would volunteer to play in the replay telling Klopp “Boss we would like to atone for our non-performance the other day and play the replay and we can sacrifice 2 days of our break.”
That should solve all the issues ... I think.

GaryC

Btw if I am not mistaken, during Arsenal’s heydays, Wenger used to regularly blood his kids in the cup competitions. I don’t remember hearing a lot of hissy fits then.

Commando

Ad-free Member
The number one trophy is no doubt the PL. Always was. When football became more and more global, CL became more important. It is also worth mentioning that European titles were less a priority in the 80s early 90s because of the ban against English teams. So the FA cup became 3rd on the priority list, and the league cup dropped to 4th.
Would I have rated the world club cup more than the FA ? No.
We are liverpool and we compete for everything. City's treble last season was more than impressive. If anything we should appreciate it more now.

We've still got a game to play. I for one will be rooting for whatever players are chosen to wear the shirt. I hope that I'm not coming across as some kind of Superfan wannabe, but from what I can tell from what's been written we'll have a squad of inexperienced youngsters out there. They'll need the backing of us all. We've seen what the power of Anfield can do. Let's use that power to progress to the next round.