• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Shrewsbury v Liverpool (FAC 26/1/20 5pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Matip [off 79’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Larouci

• Fabinho

• Chirivella

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Jones [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Elliot [off 71’]

• Minamino [off 85’]

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Origi

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 71’]

• Salah [on 79’]

• Firmino [85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1dragon

TIA Regular
If the winter break was meant to be a "time off" for the players, then I think it is only fair for those who have not played for a prolonged period of time to make themselves available for selection for the return match at Anfield. I am looking at the likes of Matip, Shaq, Fabinho etc.

I say we would do a professional job at Anfield. The pitch was not up to the usual standards that our lads were used to, some complacency set in, and the Shrewsbury guys were fired up for the occasion. Doubt they can replicate that form away from home and Klopp would have used this experience to drum home the message that there is no room for complacency.

On a related note, all of our previous managers had been on the wrong end of a cup upset before (Northampton etc), but I do not recall Klopp having lost to a low rung opponent yet. Or am I remembering wrongly?

Muad

TIA New Signing
One thing is for sure, our Jurgen needs a break from the game.
He is looking very tired. Has been noticeable for a while now.
I'm afraid he will burn himself out.
Yup been worried about this as well. It seems to be a symptom of modern life across professions. Just hope that Pepjin or someone is genuinely stepping in to a successor-in-waiting role to take some of that load off Klopps shoulders.

Gazmaninaus

The U23s already have a cup competition which they got bundled out weeks ago. Another point on them is they are not going that great in the actual league. Really aside from a few kids they are fairly average.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I do not recall Klopp having lost to a low rung opponent yet. Or am I remembering wrongly?
Nah- your memory is fine.

Klopp has only been knocked out of the domestic cups by Premier League opposition, although some of those were pretty shite.

The most disappointing was surely the 2-3 home defeat to West Brom in the FA Cup Fourth Round two years ago. WBA finished bottom of the table that season.

Sidwishus

Didn't even bat and eye when they equalised. Honestly couldn't give a stuff about this competition. But well done Shrewsbury. Was disappointed when I seen the line up and am now glad the kids will get a chance to have another stab at it. Back to what counts wed. Come on Red Men

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
To be honest I see Klopp’s comments as a bit heat of the moment. I’m sure when everyone is a bit calmer tomorrow, they’ll have a look again.

I can’t see a problem with asking the same lads to go again. I don’t really understand why Lovren, Matip, Lallana, Minamino, Shaqiri, Milner, Adrian and Keita need a rest at this point. And I’m sure given the chance they’d want to play it.

A solution might be to ask Critchley or Ljinders to prepare the squad, but ask a few lads to come back early from their break to supplement the U23s
Can only agree with this. I'm sure that these lads not only need this game to get back to full fitness, but will absolutely want to play in it. Let them train with the youngsters if the senior coaching staff is in vacation, and then let them having a go.

Joe Gomez x

Think complacenty had a part to play. Without a proper ‘older’ head leading the side out, I reckon the lads may have saw a 16th place League one side and thought, let’s push this ball around them. But due to the poor performance of the senior players, the younger lads were left like a different team within our lineup, then the game was fairer against a strong , familiar side. Hopefully this is a turning point for someone like Lovren who is heading towards the door for a more competent defender. Also Larouci looks miles off being a Neco Williams. Chiverialla looks quality though but it might be too late for him.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
For any standard under-23 match we could play Adrián + 3 other senior players, so it's possible we could still do that i guess.
Klopp said the senior players have booked hols with their family, so let them enjoy the respite and then return all guns blazing with a big thank you to their bosses

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
They wouldn’t be the first humans to ever have to cancel a bit of leave because work loads increased.

I still don’t really understand the fume.

Surely we knew if a replay was needed it would be on such and such a date.

I will read further into it tonight, but from what I can see, we really just have to cop it sweet.
You either have a mid season break or not and I think we all agree that one is needed.

Sometimes you have to stick to your guns and it is something close to Klopp's heart and I for one support his stance.

p.s I will still miss my twice weekly football fix, watching Liverpool is a highlight of my week mostly.

Commando

Ad-free Member
We're assuming it will just be the kids but there might be one or two who need game time included. We don't know yet. If they are included then I hope they do better than they did today. The problem with including the first teamers in games like this is that they are not always motivated. Looked like that to me today for one or two. I am all in on the idea of playing the kids. If we do then we probably start as underdogs. Cheap tickets, big crowd getting behind the lads, it should be a great occasion and they will rise to it.

Second thing is JK is making a point about fixture congestion and how different footballing authorities make decisions independently of each other and it's the players that suffer. He went on and on about this at a press conference recently when the Afcon was moved. The Premier League fixed the winter break and said that no competitive games could be scheduled in it. The FA scheduled the 4th round replays in the same period and yet they've abolished replays from round 5 this year. It's a farcical situation and he clearly thinks enough is enough. Above everything else he and his backroom staff need a break. It's easy to take what they're doing for granted, but the pressure is non-stop. I hope he goes somewhere warm where no one knows who he is and forgets about football for a week.

I’d think that our Jurgen would have to travel to an uninhabited island or deep into a jungle to find a place where he’s not known. If he was stood next to Jesus Christ people would be asking “who’s that with Jurgen”?

Think complacenty had a part to play. Without a proper ‘older’ head leading the side out, I reckon the lads may have saw a 16th place League one side and thought, let’s push this ball around them. But due to the poor performance of the senior players, the younger lads were left like a different team within our lineup, then the game was fairer against a strong , familiar side. Hopefully this is a turning point for someone like Lovren who is heading towards the door for a more competent defender. Also Larouci looks miles off being a Neco Williams. Chiverialla looks quality though but it might be too late for him.
I think that’s a bit unfair on Larouci. He didn’t have Sadio ahead of him like Robbo usually has. Some posters mentioned how hard it was for Robbo in the Wolves game after Sadio went off. I thought that Larouci looked OK yesterday. :)

rockafella

Registered before you did
Mixed feelings on this.

I totally understand where he's coming from and he obviously knows better than me, but agree with some points highlighted above, how there are some players who absolutely need game time. Lovren has started 13 games this season, Matip 10. Before yesterday neither had started since before Xmas. They were both absolutely shite yesterday, and surely it's better they had a shorter break and got another 90 minutes in, rather than their first game back having to be thrown in a significant game because of a Gomez injury for example?

Do we even know when the replay is? Presumably it's a few days after the Southampton game, or before Norwich, rather than right in the middle of the break?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Mixed feelings on this.

I totally understand where he's coming from and he obviously knows better than me, but agree with some points highlighted above, how there are some players who absolutely need game time. Lovren has started 13 games this season, Matip 10. Before yesterday neither had started since before Xmas. They were both absolutely shite yesterday, and surely it's better they had a shorter break and got another 90 minutes in, rather than their first game back having to be thrown in a significant game because of a Gomez injury for example?

Do we even know when the replay is? Presumably it's a few days after the Southampton game, or before Norwich, rather than right in the middle of the break?
Just after Saints, which is why I said pick a second string for it and then let them come back late and miss Norwich.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Ignoring all the first points, I really want to know how you’d change the ‘format’ of the oldest knockout competition in the world.

I’m actually intrigued, and I’m not trolling or baiting you.

To me the biggest culprits in devaluing the fa cup are the bigger clubs, perhaps the ONLY thing I would change is that an 18 person squad be named for the FA cup in round three and couldn’t be changed except in absolute exceptional circumstances.

Then the big clubs would either take it seriously, or not, and if they didn’t , then they couldn’t just take it seriously from the semis going forward.

I’d never mess rules for that squad, however, I’d make the league cup for under 23s for premier league squads,

That’s the only change I’d make.

But that’s not format, in my understanding format means knockout rounds or group stage sets etc
Just after Saints, which is why I said pick a second string for it and then let them come back late and miss Norwich.
Absolutely Mascot; seems the most pragmatic way to handle the situation even if it means a couple of those lads have to change their holiday dates. Hope Jurgen hasn't boxed himself in with his comments - would be sad to see a pure u23 side struggle at Anfield and wouldn't be great for confidence of those playing.

Noo Noo

Back tot he game I was a bit disappointed with the balance of the side yesterday. It looked ok on paper but the reality was certainly different. While I though Jones was good going forward he did little to help Larouci at times and with Lovren alongside him, Shrewsbury certainly looked to exploit that side. They certainly had a lot of space down that side, particularly in the second half. Perhaps our back 4 were too deep as well, opening up that space. That would not surprise me particularly with Lovren playing. He certainly needs to be dragged forward a lot of the time.

Origi is quickly (in my own mind) becoming a Coutinho type legend. The guy frustrates the living daylights out of me, drives me nuts even but will score you a goal that wins the Champions League. I feel there is so much more he could offer, if he simply put the effort in.

Otherwise it is quite astounding how rusty our centre halves get after a period out not playing. Their ability is also compounded without the guiding hand of VvD. I find it remarkable that their ability varies so much and so obviously.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Mixed feelings on this.

Klopp might be making a point to the FA, the Premier League, the UEFA and whoever else will listen about the number of games. He's been vociferously arguing in favour of reducing the number of fixtures for years. Now the Premier League has finally introduced a winter break but evidently it doesn't cover FA Cup replays. It's easy to see why he'd be peeved about it. Either it's a break or it's not. There's no middle ground.

That said, hopefully a better solution than playing the U-23s can be found. The notion of going out to Shrewsbury at Anfield isn't an appealing one.

Last edited:

MarcusBerglund

Klopp said that the players need not only a physical, but a mental rest. The players with injuries were not resting while they were injured. Every day they were at Melwood and worked really hard to overcome their problems. They did it on a daily basis and when you are out of the team, working your way back to full fitness is also mentally draining. These guys need not only a physical rest, but also a mental as Klopp said. Recharging your batteries for a week, with no work at Melwood will be a real bonus for our players and the manager.

And I am not afraid of playing the youngsters vs. team who is two disivions below us. After all most of the time people speak about the quality of our youngsters and that Williams, Jones, Hoever, Kelleher can save us millions for the future. Well, I say give them a proper chance in front of the rocking Anfield. We will be the outsiders, but Shrewsbury were also the underdogs yesterday but look how a team can play when super motivated.

The same kids /without Jones and Wiliams/ gave Villa a very interesting game for the League cup and showed that they can play good attacking possession based football.

Kelleher; Williams - Hoever - van den Berg - Larouci; Chirivella - Jones; Millar - Lewis - Elliott; Hardy

I am sure that these guys will give me much more excitment than the team I watches yesterday. And I know that it won't be an easy game for the visitors, because this time they will meet an equally motivated team full of players that are good enough to play at least at the same level as Shrewsbury.

P.S. Whatever decision Klopp makes I will definitely support him, because his choices have always been for the benefit of Liverpool FC.

Last edited:

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I really don’t understand why he played Origi wide. I think he is most effective in the middle. Also from what I have seen of him, Minamino looks better playing a wide role where he has a bit more space. He seems to lack the physicality to muscle his way through a crowded defence.

PS I don’t follow the fortunes of our U23 side at all so was shocked when someone in this thread said they hadn’t done particularly well in their age group competitions.

Just taken a look and we are sixth below Derby County and Brighton amongst others which does surprise me.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Missed the game due to work. Just catching up today. One overriding thought, by far the most embarrassed bunch of players after that match must be Everton.

Sweeting

I really don’t understand why he played Origi wide. I think he is most effective in the middle. Also from what I have seen of him, Minamino looks better playing a wide role where he has a bit more space. He seems to lack the physicality to muscle his way through a crowded defence.

PS I don’t follow the fortunes of our U23 side at all so was shocked when someone in this thread said they hadn’t done particularly well in their age group competitions.

Just taken a look and we are sixth below Derby County and Brighton amongst others which does surprise me.
Derby won the U18s PL last season and their U23s squad is largely that team. They're excellent at youth level.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
As much as I would like us to win this cup only Kloppy knows how much this squad have left in them.
If he says that only the kids will play the rematch at Anfield then it’s good enough for me.
Who knows, after this display, they might just have a point to prove and pull it off...
Good luck Neil Critchley

Richard88

Some short memories out here about some of these senior players, players who have performed at the requisite standard this season and last in far more important games than tonight. Some poor performances after lengthy spells of absence due to injury. That's all it was, no need to make it more of an issue than it is. Quite frankly how anyone has managed to get angry is beyond me after the season we're having.

Onto what Klopp has said - I'll be disappointed if no senior players are playing at Anfield. I won't necessarily be disappointed with Klopp but there should be a group of those lads who are beating down his door to play in that game rather than have the week off - Lovren, Matip, Fabinho, Minamino, Keita and Shaqiri, and you could possibly add Origi and Lallana to that list given they haven't played much. Minamino has just had a 3 week break for fucks sake! Klopp will get a good insight into the mentality of certain players if they're not itching to have another go in this.

If none of them play, we could be looking at a team like:

Kelleher
Williams Hoever VdB Larouci
Chirivella
Clarkson Cain
Elliot Stewart Jones

At Anfield on a good pitch that team will give Shrewsbury a good game but I wouldn't make us favourites. Throw another mishmash team out like tonight and we'll go through comfortably.
The thing with that is that if Klopp leaves the door open to some first team players it would put the players in an awkward position. If for example Minamino and Keita stay and play, should Shaqiri, Origi, etc then feel guilty or that they are "less committed" when they go on vacation with their families after having been promised a week off?

Klopp needs to make a decision and stick to it, which looks like he will do. The decision to play the kids in the replay wasn't taken last night as a knee-jerk reaction, but rather it seemed like a calculated decision ahead of the fixture. Klopp has also many times spoken about the need to protect the players, and I don't see him going against his own principles in this instance.

Whatever the case, this will be a prime opportunity for the youngsters to stake a claim for the first team, against a Shrewsbury side who they will have every chance of beating at Anfield.

Flobs

FADA
The kids did ok today. What we missed is Milner to provide some leadership and experience on the field.
The likes of Lovren Matip do not possess that. Shrewsbury were the better team. They even gifted us a goal.
Im confident that we will progress at Anfield.
Yes, on reflection the lack of leadership yesterday hurt us a lot and didn't seem to abate until Firmino came on.
It's often over looked how strong our 1st team is with leadership Allison controles the box (Adrian is good gk but hasn't that command), VVD organises the defense (Lovren might have been bought for that but he just isn't and having the captains armband just complicates things for him more, Henderson Captains from midfield (we had noone in midfield capable of orientating the game how he does yesterday) and Firmino orchestrates the attack (even with their best effort noone yesterday has that yet and Origi was in sleep mode imo). Then there's Milner, Lallana and Gini who are all capable of taking a relay on the leadership front.
Most of our lads yesterday were making the effort (and I include Matip and Lovren in there) they were just being too tentative and making silly little errors that Shrewbury could exploit (some of the errors were pretty bad as well). The other disappointment was how easily Shrewbury outmuscled us the whole match (that used to be a problem for our 1st team as well).

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Absolutely Mascot; seems the most pragmatic way to handle the situation even if it means a couple of those lads have to change their holiday dates. Hope Jurgen hasn't boxed himself in with his comments - would be sad to see a pure u23 side struggle at Anfield and wouldn't be great for confidence of those playing.
Me too. Jurgen can sometimes be a bit emotional and pissed off in the heat of the moment. He’s totally authentic and honest, and that’s why we love him.

But I hope someone pulls him to one side and convinces him that we need to be pragmatic. We can navigate this tie using the players we used last night, and nobody needs to lose their rest. We just have to be creative.

Limiescouse

The thing with that is that if Klopp leaves the door open to some first team players it would put the players in an awkward position. If for example Minamino and Keita stay and play, should Shaqiri, Origi, etc then feel guilty or that they are "less committed" when they go on vacation with their families after having been promised a week off?

Klopp needs to make a decision and stick to it, which looks like he will do.
This is the exact point I was going to make. Allowing the player to take the decision themselves turns this into a compulsory voluntary act...our own I'm Spartacus moment. The only way I see it working is if Klopp singles out the senior players he wants to stay behind to play, but even that comes with its downsides, especially whether it will be interpreted as identifying those individuals as comparatively unimportant to the real side.

Sweeting

The leadership was the major difference.

vs Everton we had Lallana busting a gut all over the pitch, not afraid to shout and organise.

None of the senior players last night did that. Matip is very quiet, as is Fabinho, and Lovren is a very insular player - he can talk, but rarely does as he tries to concentrate on his own performance.

Just seen Klopp's little moan about the scheduling, I understand but equally if I were Lovren, Matip, Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino etc then I'd be in Klopp's office this morning telling him that I want to play in the replay. The older lads, albeit coming from various stages of fitness, let themselves down yesterday and they should want to put that right.

LaurazRed

The first half was fairly decent. The second half was awful. Lovren, Matip, and Fabinho where way off the pace unsurprisingly, given the length of time out. I can understand Jürgen's comments after the game but I wish he'd not said them. It's obvious he and the team need a break, but for once it sounded a bit like sour grapes.

Lastly well done to Shrewsbury they deserved it.

Last edited:

MinniMo

If I recall right, I'm pretty sure that Klopp stated 2 weeks ago that should this match go to a replay, the kids would be playing it under Neil, this was no spur of the moment decision.

Flobs

FADA
1stly it's the managers job to insight the players if they look complacent, personally I don't think it was that even if Origi did look rather lathargic.

Neco Williams didn't look like Neco Williams last night. Larouci actually made some intelligent recoveries allowing Lovren to close players down, on the other side Matip was in a big mess much of the time. Difficult game to analyse imo due to us losing the physical battle consistently but looking technically better than the opposition.