Post Match: Shrewsbury v Liverpool (FAC 26/1/20 5pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Matip [off 79’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Larouci

• Fabinho

• Chirivella

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Jones [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Elliot [off 71’]

• Minamino [off 85’]

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Origi

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 71’]

• Salah [on 79’]

• Firmino [85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

The first half was fairly decent. The second half was awful. Lovren, Matip, and Fabinho where way off the pace unsurprisingly, given the length of time out. I can understand Jürgen's comments after the game but I wish he'd not said them. It's obvious he and the team need a break, but for once it sounded a bit like sour grapes.
All Premier League teams received an official letter from the PL demanding that the purpose of the break be respected. They did not want sides taking advantage of this gap in the schedule they had been given to organize a money making friendly in a warm weather country. They have been given the break and if they dont respect it then it will factor into the league's decision on whether to offer it again.

And then a fucking replay is scheduled for this period. If he isnt angry then he isnt paying attention.

Flobs

FADA
Back tot he game I was a bit disappointed with the balance of the side yesterday. It looked ok on paper but the reality was certainly different. While I though Jones was good going forward he did little to help Larouci at times and with Lovren alongside him, Shrewsbury certainly looked to exploit that side. They certainly had a lot of space down that side, particularly in the second half. Perhaps our back 4 were too deep as well, opening up that space. That would not surprise me particularly with Lovren playing. He certainly needs to be dragged forward a lot of the time.

Origi is quickly (in my own mind) becoming a Coutinho type legend. The guy frustrates the living daylights out of me, drives me nuts even but will score you a goal that wins the Champions League. I feel there is so much more he could offer, if he simply put the effort in.

Otherwise it is quite astounding how rusty our centre halves get after a period out not playing. Their ability is also compounded without the guiding hand of VvD. I find it remarkable that their ability varies so much and so obviously.
I thought it was us who were going down that side which meant Larouci and Jones were getting caught up field when Shrewbury over powered us physically and won the ball. One thing that caught us was we weren't switching sides like the 1st team does and so insisting down the flank we were on combine that with our 'poor' passing and lack or automatisms we ended up struggling. (Oh and Origi was pretty soft most of the match).

LaurazRed

All Premier League teams received an official letter from the PL demanding that the purpose of the break be respected. They did not want sides taking advantage of this gap in the schedule they had been given to organize a money making friendly in a warm weather country. They have been given the break and if they dont respect it then it will factor into the league's decision on whether to offer it again.

And then a fucking replay is scheduled for this period. If he isnt angry then he isnt paying attention.
I agree the schedule is pathetic but there was always a risk of replay before the fifth round.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Me too. Jurgen can sometimes be a bit emotional and pissed off in the heat of the moment. He’s totally authentic and honest, and that’s why we love him.

But I hope someone pulls him to one side and convinces him that we need to be pragmatic. We can navigate this tie using the players we used last night, and nobody needs to lose their rest. We just have to be creative.
I agree. And considering the likes of Matip and Lovren are hardly likely to feature (fingers crossed) for the first team, they won't need the rest. If anything all the senior players from yesterday's debacle need more match time, not less, to regain some sort of rhythm.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Because the FA Cup format is crap.Instead of having replays just have penalty shoot out after 90 minutes.
Yes but think of the romance and money you’d be missing out on.....

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
If I recall right, I'm pretty sure that Klopp stated 2 weeks ago that should this match go to a replay, the kids would be playing it under Neil, this was no spur of the moment decision.
I didn't hear him say this precisely but it definitely isn't an emotional reaction to a poor performance. It was decided some time ago (reported in the Athletic today) that Critchley would take charge and it would be an U-23 side for the replay.

As ever, JK is playing the long game here. He's been complaining about fixture scheduling all season. Here is a perfect chance to make a point about the absurdity of scheduling replays in a winter break. Sure, we might go out but at the end of the season no one will care what happened in the FA Cup, or the Carabao Cup. Every season now is all about the PL or CL so there's no risk attached to the decision apart from a lot of guff in the media. I am surprised that so many don't seem on board with it. We've waited 30 years to win the league. We're European and World Champions and now some are upset because we're not playing a stronger team against Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup?

Above all I think this decision is about JK himself and him getting a break. If there's anything that might encourage him to walk away it's the non-stop nature of managing Liverpool and the fixture overload. We should be right behind him on this.

Noo Noo

I thought it was us who were going down that side which meant Larouci and Jones were getting caught up field when Shrewbury over powered us physically and won the ball. One thing that caught us was we weren't switching sides like the 1st team does and so insisting down the flank we were on combine that with our 'poor' passing and lack or automatisms we ended up struggling. (Oh and Origi was pretty soft most of the match).
Yeah, fair point. I just remember Larouci being isolated against Shrewsbury players on a few occasions, particularly in the second half with a huge gaping hole in midfield in front of him.

Either way our shape was not right at all and not helped by our poor ball retention as you rightly point out. Bit of a damp squib of a performance all round I would say.

1dragon

TIA Regular
I didn't hear him say this precisely but it definitely isn't an emotional reaction to a poor performance. It was decided some time ago (reported in the Athletic today) that Critchley would take charge and it would be an U-23 side for the replay.

As ever, JK is playing the long game here. He's been complaining about fixture scheduling all season. Here is a perfect chance to make a point about the absurdity of scheduling replays in a winter break. Sure, we might go out but at the end of the season no one will care what happened in the FA Cup, or the Carabao Cup. Every season now is all about the PL or CL so there's no risk attached to the decision apart from a lot of guff in the media. I am surprised that so many don't seem on board with it. We've waited 30 years to win the league. We're European and World Champions and now some are upset because we're not playing a stronger team against Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup?

Above all I think this decision is about JK himself and him getting a break. If there's anything that might encourage him to walk away it's the non-stop nature of managing Liverpool and the fixture overload. We should be right behind him on this.
I disagree with the the portion in bold. We had the moral high ground for the fixture pile up involving the Club World Cup and the Carabao Cup. It was impossible for us to field a team for the latter, and so circumstances dictated that we had to field a youth side.

However, this replay was brought about largely by our own incompetence to finish the tie in the first instance. Had we done so, there would be no need for a replay, and thus no mention of this fixture scheduling issue. We brought the issue upon ourselves, so we have to deal with it. What team Klopp or LFC decides to put out is of course their prerogative, but it is disrespectful to treat the cup (and opposition for that matter) like this given the circumstances this time.

Furthermore, the replay would only eat into 2 days out of the 14 days break. Less the travelling time, there is still about a week's break for the players, so I really do not see a point here.

@redbj also alluded to normal workers having to cancel their vacation plans in lieu of additional workload. Well, this situation is no different. Furthermore, the dates are already known so plans can be made in advance.

I really hope Klopp changes his mind on this because as we see so far, a too long break from playing does affect our play in a negative way. So having giving a runout to the fringe players and some youth players may help in this case.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Who knows, with the majority of the first team not around, kloppo might actually enjoy a few sessions with different faces if he does decide to stick around.

I’m not overly fussed either way to be honest, whether he’s there or not, or whether we have a few of the first team squad there ( I agree with the point raised about a few of the fringe players actually wanting game time ) I just don’t want to see us make a song and dance about it.

Sweeting

Yes but think of the romance and money you’d be missing out on.....
All the journalists who are criticising the idea of scrapping the replays because "the money means so much to these clubs" seem to be overlooking the fact that it is worrying we have a system of clubs who are seemingly reliant on getting a good run in the FA Cup. Isn't that the bigger issue?

FA Cup prize money should be a nice bonus, not something you hope for so your club doesn't go tits up.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
All the journalists who are criticising the idea of scrapping the replays because "the money means so much to these clubs" seem to be overlooking the fact that it is worrying we have a system of clubs who are seemingly reliant on getting a good run in the FA Cup. Isn't that the bigger issue?

FA Cup prize money should be a nice bonus, not something you hope for so your club doesn't go tits up.
That’s a bit of semantics though isn’t it?

Whether the club desperately needs it, or sees it as a means to improve facilities is not the point, and onviously down to the individual clubs finance management, the point is, it creates money for clubs to kick on a bit.

If you extend your point, you can debate the money disbursement of the English premier league also, not to mention the CL qualifying

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
I was 14 the last time we won the league and back in those heady days i never dreamt I would be in my 40s before I (possibly) saw such times again. I have waited a looong time to see my team stand on the precipice. I went off to Uni and came back with a degree and my future wife. I have two amazing kids, a pretty boring job (hey life is never perfect!) and in all that time watched Fergie build a team to surpass our records.
Therefore I have very little interest in any other competition this year, I am 100% focused on that one trophy we have never held aloft. With the likelihood of Hendo lifting it May increasing after each win my belief that nothing else should negatively impact that chance increases. Therefore if Klopp wants a week off to relax himself I 100% support that. Go get some sun, chill and come back ready for an amazing final few months.

Sweeting

That’s a bit of semantics though isn’t it?

Whether the club desperately needs it, or sees it as a means to improve facilities is not the point, and onviously down to the individual clubs finance management, the point is, it creates money for clubs to kick on a bit.

If you extend your point, you can debate the money disbursement of the English premier league also, not to mention the CL qualifying
Well the bonus factor is fine, I'm more talking about clubs who see cup runs as keeping them alive (or at least certain journalists who believe these clubs exist and that changing the format would see them wiped out "just so the PL clubs get their way")

We should be discussing the points you raised. Why do the winners of the FA Cup, invariably a top 6 team, get £3.6m in prize money whereas a club getting into the 3rd round will get just a little over £100k. Surely there can be a slightly better spread on the prize money, let the lower placed club choose the venue (home or away not randomly picking Wembley of course) and get it settled in one game.

If Mansfield Town or Bradford Park Avenue want an away trip to Anfield, fine you can have it, and if they want to bring Liverpool to their ground where they feel like they could have a better chance of winning then great let's play it there.

The PL clubs get their wish of more rest, the lower league clubs get slightly more say over how the games are played. Nobody is 100% happy but nobody is 100% unhappy - that's usually the best anyone can hope for.

rockafella

Registered before you did
Out of interest, does anyone here know, or care, what lineups other Premier League teams have been playing in the domestic cup competitions?

I know that they generally all play weakened teams, and I don't care what they do. Really can't get my head around fans of other clubs being so outraged by what lineups we play.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Out of interest, does anyone here know, or care, what lineups other Premier League teams have been playing in the domestic cup competitions?

I know that they generally all play weakened teams, and I don't care what they do. Really can't get my head around fans of other clubs being so outraged by what lineups we play.
I only saw the highlights, but it looked like some serious sides were played.

City made a few changes, but still fielded a really strong side. Utd went really strong.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
It will be interesting to see how Steve Bruce, Hassenhüttl, and Jose deal with having their breaks shortened. For Ralph and Steve, whatever. Jose also has CL in the horizon.

Southampton are the worst affected and will only have 10 days between their replay against Spurs, if it is played on 5 February, and a home game against Burnley in the league.

"Because the rules are not the best, we have another game, in a break in the season," said Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, who has managed in the German Bundesliga. "I don't understand this but, OK, we have to do it. It's for us not perfect but we must accept it."

Spurs and Liverpool will have 11 days off instead of two weeks.

If Newcastle have to play their replay at Oxford on 4 February, three days after a Premier League game against Norwich, they will only have 12 days off before their trip to Arsenal.

Had any of those sides been scheduled to play in the first weekend of the winter break, they would have had two full weeks off.

"It's a ridiculous situation,” said Bruce. "You're supposed to have a week off then all of a sudden they've shoved replays in there. What's the point?

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Fucking awful. Listen shouldnt wear the badge again, but he'll probably get a couple more FA Cup games before he fucks off this summer.

Definitely didn't need any more games to our schedule.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Well the bonus factor is fine, I'm more talking about clubs who see cup runs as keeping them alive (or at least certain journalists who believe these clubs exist and that changing the format would see them wiped out "just so the PL clubs get their way")

We should be discussing the points you raised. Why do the winners of the FA Cup, invariably a top 6 team, get £3.6m in prize money whereas a club getting into the 3rd round will get just a little over £100k. Surely there can be a slightly better spread on the prize money, let the lower placed club choose the venue (home or away not randomly picking Wembley of course) and get it settled in one game.

If Mansfield Town or Bradford Park Avenue want an away trip to Anfield, fine you can have it, and if they want to bring Liverpool to their ground where they feel like they could have a better chance of winning then great let's play it there.

The PL clubs get their wish of more rest, the lower league clubs get slightly more say over how the games are played. Nobody is 100% happy but nobody is 100% unhappy - that's usually the best anyone can hope for.
I was going to suggest this. Seems like a reasonable compromise. Could also change percentage of gates from the game, I'm sure if we could have played Shrewsbury at Anfield with them taking a higher percentage, we'd probably have agreed to that if there was no replay involved?

Limiescouse

I disagree with the the portion in bold. We had the moral high ground for the fixture pile up involving the Club World Cup and the Carabao Cup. It was impossible for us to field a team for the latter, and so circumstances dictated that we had to field a youth side.

However, this replay was brought about largely by our own incompetence to finish the tie in the first instance. Had we done so, there would be no need for a replay, and thus no mention of this fixture scheduling issue. We brought the issue upon ourselves, so we have to deal with it. What team Klopp or LFC decides to put out is of course their prerogative, but it is disrespectful to treat the cup (and opposition for that matter) like this given the circumstances this time.
You get the respect you deserve. The FA has again found a way to disrespect its own flag ship competition by shoe horning a round of fixtures into a period that was not available to them.

Noo Noo

As mentioned by others above it wouldn't surprise me if there's a few players from the senior squad that wouldn't mind playing this game.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing

Totally agree with you on this, I would love Klopp as my manager in whatever job I did, he would demand hard work, set high standards and most of all you know he would value your contributions and have your back.

Which is what he is doing here, he stands by his word by telling the players previously that they can have a break with their families and has my full respect in his stance for the players/employees.

tesh

TIA New Signing
I'll add to my hall of shame residency/cred. If by playing only the "kids" we loose the replay - i'm ok with that.

I would trade losing/giving up on the FA cup all day long if it means we can win the league at either the Etihad or Goodision.

Wilkored08

Was there a oooh aaah when we played the young un's against the bitters....JK is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't... If the PL say 'winter break' they should adhere to it....as long as some kind of manager is in charge....

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Furthermore, the replay would only eat into 2 days out of the 14 days break. Less the travelling time, there is still about a week's break for the players, so I really do not see a point here.

@redbj also alluded to normal workers having to cancel their vacation plans in lieu of additional workload. Well, this situation is no different. Furthermore, the dates are already known so plans can be made in advance.

I really hope Klopp changes his mind on this because as we see so far, a too long break from playing does affect our play in a negative way. So having giving a runout to the fringe players and some youth players may help in this case.
Yes it is incompetent to fail to beat Shrewsbury, especially when you're 2-0 up but that's not really the point. The point is the scheduling of the replay. That's nothing to do with us. It was pure luck that we drew Shrewsbury in this round. What if we'd drawn City or Chelsea or Spurs and ended up needing a replay? I doubt anyone could claim that was down to our own incompetence. It's the principle of arranging matches during pre-determined rest periods that JK is making a stand on and good for him.

Also, it's not just 2 days work. It's analysis, it''s tactical training and preparation for a team who will have barely played with each other. All this three days after we've played Southampton. Our 6th game in 17 days. Whatever he does is fine by me and it should be fine with everyone. We haven't got to this stage through JK making the wrong decisions.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
All I will say to this is this...
From a fans perspective the Christmas period (actually the last 3 years or so) have taken its toll on me. Sometimes I don’t even enjoy watching the game because I’m on edge. Which is odd because it’s only been the last 3 years or so Iv been like this. Even the 90s and 2000s I was cool as cucumber (maybe I’m just getting old).
But anyway, I know a few people on here say the same things during the match thread about it not being good for your heart and stuff....

So imagine what stresses the players and manager is under. And klopp, IMO, has looked a bit flustered lately. The players look tired and leggy. Most of them will be off to an international tournament as soon as the season ends and as a club we still have a massive 4 months left.
It’s relentless.
Klopp and his backroom staff know this. And his fitness gurus have probably sat down with him and said “make sure you use this winter break.”

So I have no problem if he takes the team for a two week break to butlins and let’s the kids face Shrewsbury.

It’s ridiculous from the FA.

I back klopp 100%.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Origi was very poor. Well all the senior players were indeed poor.
Adrian and Pedro played well.
Jones took his goal well.
Matip and Lovren were shocking! Lovren lacked leadership.

Shrewsbury performed well and deserved a draw. They created some good chances.
Playing all the youngsters in the replay is risky as Shrewsbury have some physical players. I seem to remember a tasty challenge on Williams.

Commando

Ad-free Member

That’s not fair. We’d never get to choose because there’s no-one below us. ;)