• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (17 August, 2019)

Man of the Match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Fabinho

• Origi

• Henderson

• Total voters

macca1970

A win is a win. Nice start from us, with good interchanges of play, exemplified by the cute backheel from Mo to set-up Ox for a shot. Then after Milner went off for a prolonged treatment spell, it encouraged Southampton to make a game of it. We got away with a few situations in the first half, mush of it self-inflicted, such as Adrian taking too long to lick the ball.

Matip looked worried with the pace of Redmond, and he was the one would break our defensive line to try to get ahead of Redmond. The midweek game took its toll on us, and Mane was absolutely quiet until injury time at the end of the half, when he produced a moment of magic.

The one goal lead calmed our nerves, and we were in game management mode for the first 10 to 15 mins. Southampton made an offensive sub, and got more into the game. But we made it comfortable again with Bobby getting the second. He had missed a glorious opportunity prior to this, but made no mistake this time with a sublime finish.

Then we went into cruise mode and controlled the game again, with Klopp realising he still had plenty of subs to make.

Adrian oh Adrian. In my HT report I stated that he is at his most vulnerable just after making a good save. In the (admittedly small sample) of games he’s had, this seems to be developing a trend. And so it happened again. Matip stretched for the ball, and Adrian pulled off a good save. Straight after, whether he basks in his saves or not, he loses concentration. A move straight out of a Karius nightmare, Adrian contrived to let Southampton back into the game.

This meant the last 10 mins were a painful watch as Southampton should’ve equalised but Ings fluffed his golden chance.

But, as the cliché states, a win is a win. Can work on the deficiencies on the training pitch. Alison cut out the stupidity straight after his first full blown mistake last year, so Adrian needs to do the same. But can he? That’s what we’ll soon find out over the next few games.

StevenAlonso

Glad we got through.. Last 10 minutes were Heart pounding.. Adrian needs to get a mouthful from Klopp.. Quite unnecessary.. Ox had a good game.. Mane was superb..

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Wow. That game can be summed up by the GIF:

Just a fantastic performance. In fact, I was about to say the perfect performance until that mistake from the GK. I was told from WHU-supporting friends that Adrian is an incredible GK except every so often he will do something completely braindead. Well that braindead moment has happened, didn't cost us apart from mild heart arrhythmia and I'm hoping 'every so often' for a WHU fan is 'every 100 games' (at worst).

Without that moment, it was a brilliant, if not beautiful performance. We weathered the intense early storm from Soton then when we gained the ascendancy in the second half, we played some of the most glorious interplay I've seen from a Liverpool team from Ox, Robbo, Mane, Salah and Firmino in particular.

Once Adrian's mistake happened, the pressure combined with visibly tired players made it a struggle but a struggle we again overcame. VVD must be hurting with the minutes he's played recently but he sure as hell doesn't let the world know it. Again the rock in this team. Mane though was on a different planet. I can't given enough plaudits to this guy. He has taken his game to another level over the last 6 months. Just absolutely love him and the one player behind VVD I just couldn't cope with losing (lets hope the consistent Real links are BS).

I'm ecstatic after that game. Did exactly what we needed to do after a very tough 8 days.

Three votes: VVD, Mane, Bobby

yiannos33

Believe
Important win after a hard fought game against Chelsea just 2 days earlier. Adrian made it a bit interesting
at the end with a blender, but to be fair to him he made some good saves early on to keep us in the game.
A week until the next game to rest some legs.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member

This is us lot on the TIA watching the match.^^^

I am so grateful for the 3 points. The boys had a long and gruelling week, including playing in a different time zone at like 10 pm at night, playing in a midweek endurance match, where our makeshift GK gets injured by an idiot fan. The lads had less than 60 hours of mental and physical rest and a 20 minute preparation for this match (says Klopp). I wasn't expecting a win tbh, a draw. However, our lads have now the mental strength to hang on and see the game through. Well done to them

The great positive is that AOC looks alot sharper than on Wednesday. My take on this game is, I think the lads were soaking up the pressure in the first half and trying to conserve energy. We were much better in the 2nd half. Last 10 minutes was rapid increase of heart beats per minute. We survived, and we fans are okay. No injuries and now the lads can rest and get back to their normal preparation for next week.

Last edited:

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Adrian's had an eventful career, thus far. Wins the shootout. Today made a nice reaction save on that corner while Milner was off getting stitched. He robbed Matip of an OG. Then...

Nice work in this match from all of the front three. Very encouraging the way they are playing. Augers well.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Just finished watching it now as it started the same half time in the wales england rugby. I thought our first 30 minutes were a bit ragged, even Matip looked ready to make mistakes but once we'd got past that we looked in total control up until Adrians mistake. Thank God that didnt cost us (it should have as Ings had an amazing chance to tie the game) as i think it would have knocked his confidence and the confidence in the defense. Anyone else notice how few passes went back to Adrian after the mistake?

Anyway, a win is all that mattered, just need Spurs to up their game a bit now to make it a great day for me (being from Wales :) )

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Adrian's got to concentrate more during a match. We have enough with Karius's shenanigans without our stand-in goalie putting in a similar performance. Having said that he was the hero in Turkey and every keeper is allowed to make the odd mistake, so he can be forgiven for his faux pas in gifting Ings a goal. Ings doesn't play for us anymore - hasn't anyone told him? Hope he has now got the mistakes out of his system and can move on.

XMarlin

3 points and didn't have to listen to that little prick Graeme Le Saux.

Other than Mo not getting on the scoring sheet a decent afternoon.

As for Adrian's lapse of judgement...I'm sure Klopp and VVD will have a discussion with him and he'll not repeat that mistake.

Bobby looked great. AOC looked a lot more comfortable on the right than on the left.

Goal difference needs to be better to make me feel more comfortable but all in all my cardiologist shouldn't be too worried...

YNWA

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Like I said before the season, even though we've lost Alisson, our biggest threat to our season is ourselves. If we don't fuck about like today, be it defender or keeper, we don't looked like we are going to concede any goals against anyone. Our first half to me looked more like conserving our energy, especially for our forward and worked our midfield a lot more (since that is the most well stocked department). Which is why it made Southampton looked far more dangerous than they are, come second half, we moved out of our reverse and first gear. Which is why we looked so much more comfortable. Until Adrian's howler, I felt that we could have gone on to get a few more in the match.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I'm delighted to get the 3 points after the midweek game. We started poorly but played well in the 2nd half. IMO Adrian is not unlucky, he had a warning in the 1st half, it ultimately didn't cost us today but had Ings put the second chance away then the mood would be a lot different. He had options, go wide to VVD or go long and he hesitated and went for the clever option and ended up looking stupid. I accept mistakes happen, I accept he may not be fully fit, I accept he made a couple of decent saves, I accept he will be a stop gap but fighting at the very top means he needs to learn quickly.

Joe Gomez x

Deserved win. Defensively more solid than any other game we’ve played in the past month or two. Worried about Adrian’s confidence with his distribution as it’s nearly as bad as Mignolets it seems. Trent and Robbos deliveries could of been better. Virgil and Joel were solid as usual. Midfield were okay and it was nice to see the Ox start who put in a good shift and grew in confidence. Mane was good when involved and the same with Bobby. Salah was quiet but should good glimpses, I’m getting worried about his finishing during one-on-ones. I’m nervous he may miss vital chances where he should score if he continues.

big noyd

if adrian looks like shit next time out, then i'll worry...but that was bad, especially after the first half incident

with hazard gone, sadio is clearly the best wide player in the prem imo. has absolutely carried our attack at points in each season he's been here. his finishing has been pretty consistent since the dodgy stretch last season, brilliant strike

midfield didn't really work but that's not much of a surprise. hard for ox to find space or get into the game when firmino/salah/trent are all playing, and we're obviously not the same team without firmino. keita is the one who needs to emerge as a difference maker

trent attempted an unnecessary, difficult pass near the very end and gave it straight to a southampton player. was fine defensively but had a poor game on the ball

matip played well but he runs like a normal CB which is why, ideally, gomez reestablishes himself as vvd's partner

Red Armada

TIA Regular
That was a pleasant surprise after everything that transpired on Wednesday. First half was average but we were in control despite their pressure. Mane's goal was a big turning point and set us up for a perfect second half until Adrian's mind-numbing error.

All in all the most accomplished performance so far in pretty difficult circumstances. That's more like it.

Last edited:

RodM

3 points will do nicely. Voted for Mané as MotM but the interplay between him and Robbo is astonishing - one of the best pairings in the league.

Was impressed with Adrian until you-know-what.

A slow start but we are getting there. At least we should have some proper r&r before the next game.

Nur der BvB09

We ll Need a couple of weeks at least to find the rythm.
We must not Forget that most of our starting 11 were on national Duty for a Long spell and i beleave Klopp ll manage this carefully.
As Long as we get the 3 Points i m personally more then satisfied. This really is a great start in the Season with maximum Points gathered.
Let s Keep this up and the rest settels down of ist own. Up the Reds!YNWA