• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (17 August, 2019)

Man of the Match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Fabinho

• Origi

• Henderson

• Total voters

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Very happy with the result,
maybe not the greatest performance, but what do you expect after playing for near 2 hrs midweek
in searing Mediterranean temperatures.

Negatives....
disappointed with Adrian, good shot stopper with great reflex's,
but his distribution seems poor, and he made 2 mistakes 1 of which we were punished for
hopefully he will have learnt his lesson though!

Positives....
Mane, what can you say?
This is his season, and the world is gonna be his oyster!

all in all,
a great start to the season!

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Always good to win at Soton, and especially so after City drop 2pts in dramatic fashion at the death
Adrian made it a nervy last 10 minutes. No more gaffs please!

Please deliver a clean sheet!

PS Adrian owes me a new pipe!!!

nikz200

With the stuff happening with how we lost Alisson to injury to how we had to play 2 hours on wednesday to turn up at St Marys and get a win was good but, we honestly should have put this game away, between Firminos clear miss and that Salah run through, we should have been 3 goals up at least before it even had to go to Adrians misplaced pass. That also nearly gave them momentum that nearly cultivated in Ings missing a sitter at the end there.

Also before that mistake, i thought Adrian was having a good game for us , those saves , the yoshida save, he even saved Matip from being a own goal meme this week. Its about confidence with keepers, hopefully Klopp and the team mates help him remain focused and not on people trying to make a big deal of it.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
As someone else said, the result is the only thing that matters. A few of our boys still working out the bugs, but 3 points is 3 points and on we roll.

I get the Adrian mistake is still fresh on our minds, but he also made a beautiful save early in the match (from a Soton corner) to keep it 0-0 when we were on our heels.

Glory2Anfield

I understand Adrian's been taking lessons from Allison, they both give me heart attacks at times, how any goal keeper, can be so nonchalant when they have an attacking center forward opponent 6 meters away, is beyond me, how the hell did LFC collect two of them; That and Loris Karius , I guess the LFC goal keeper scout , is a true Liverpudlian Scouse, no one else would have such a great sense of humour.

Imagine a goal keeper making some of these howlers and then going back to the dressing room or Mel wood And have 20 scouses taking the piss out of you. The jokes would be so cutting, you would never want to do it again.

Got to admit it, Adrian also makes some fabulous saves like Allison; Adrian saving the penalty against Chelsea is one thing; but his flying dive that stopped that shot going into the top corner of the net, actually won LFC the Super Cup, it was a world class save.

Looking forward to the Super Cup celebrations at Anfield next week; nice to see the Glory come back to Anfield.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Winning is an habbit.
I'm ok with the way we play, being on gear one for most of the game and our defence is good enough to see out a 1-0 win.
I just want us to stop taking unnecessary risks. We tend to do that often, adrian already had a scare in the 1st half and then there were a stray of poor passes from the midfield, a clinical team can hurt us.
At this stage of the season, its important to win, we will get in the groove as the season progress.
Very happy that our lads now have one week.

phil smith

Would have taken 2-1 all day long after what the boys had to go through this week. Thought our midfield were pretty poor first half and looked very ragged. A sensational goal right on half time knocked the stuffing out of them and after Bobby's goal midway through the second half we looked to be cruising it. How easy it is to get the opposition geed up by such a stupid mistake by being too cocky although I thought he had done his job well for the previous 80 minutes. Just hoping that Keita can get fit and up to speed quickly as we desperately need a play maker in the middle of the park. Gave my MOM to Virgil after another rock solid performance closely followed by Sadio.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
We ll Need a couple of weeks at least to find the rythm.
We must not Forget that most of our starting 11 were on national Duty for a Long spell and i beleave Klopp ll manage this carefully.
As Long as we get the 3 Points i m personally more then satisfied. This really is a great start in the Season with maximum Points gathered.
Let s Keep this up and the rest settels down of ist own. Up the Reds!YNWA
And Pep getting screwed with VAR. The Icing on the cake

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Ok Adrian made an error, but apart from that i thought he had a decent game and made a good save.

3 points, job done and a City meltdown, great weekend
Really not sure about adrian tbh.
He's brilliant at times.
In the first half, he had a similar goof up, his distribution was not that great
What I did like was that in corners he's commanding and and generally comes across as a shot stopper to me.
A bit of consistency will really help.
Will trust him and hope he comes good.
Those last 5 mins was a horror show, entire team was struggling and it looked as if we would drop 2 points.

alaskared

Kloppite
They put Adrian under pressure the whole first half and we were lucky with his first clearance into an on rushing player. He was way too slow passing it out. When he did it with Ings , the writing had been on the wall for a while. Otherwise he's a solid shot stopper and already won us a trophy, hopefully he'll learn as Alisson did last year.
We were poor first half, saved by the oh so brilliant Mane again. Solid second half and got lucky that Ings missed the golden chance at the end, 3 points is 3 points, glad the players have a week before the next game!

Glory2Anfield

I was shocked to see Klopp play many of the same players from the Super Cup game, I thought we would have more rotation. However this was very clever of Klopp, because these players are all becoming match fit, this will give them , the extra 1 second of speed or 5 to 10 meters over the opponents, they will probably need this next week against Arsenal.

Looking forward to seeing Pepe play against VD, it is also a true test if Klopp was right in saving his money, as Pepe was supposedly one of the best players available, he did not look to great today, but time will tell

IndredCold

Yes, a win is a win, but I really don't like what I'm seeing. We won't be able to get away with weak performances forever. I can take seeing our attack disjointed, but we look way too exposed at the back. It was shocking how many openings we left for Soton. Better teams will rip us apart if we keep this up.
Once again a nothing performance from midfield, we came out on top thanks to a moment of brilliance which swung the momentum in our favour.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
All about the result today. I really though we'd struggle but in the end it was a convincing win, only made unnecessarily difficult at the end by Adrian's brainfart. He'd had a good game til that point but there's a bit of misplaced cockiness about him with the ball at his feet. We were toying with Southampton and it seemed to me that he just wanted to join in, feinting to play it one way then going the other. Trying to be too clever. Still it didn't cost us, I doubt he'll do it again and Allison will be back soon enough so no harm done.

We defended better from open play today and there was generally more control about our game than at any other time this season. Ox was the stand out positive today. Not because he was the best player but because it was such a significant landmark for him. Almost the full 90 played and in the second half his touch and passing was excellent.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Missed the early kick-off. Got to sit down and watch the replay. It seemed to me that the players were shaking off the lactic acid from their systems during the first half due to the mid-week Super Cup. The boys were so lethargic. On top of that, Saints were pressing us hard. I was so glad that we managed to come out of the first half, no only unscathed, but ahead by a magical cracker by Mane. 2nd half was the signature LFC possession game, beautiful passes and lovely organisation. The game should have finished by us winning by 4, instead we had the absolutely mad moment of Adrian howler, which made the last 10 minutes a nail biter.

To be fair, Adrian had an amazing game with a point blank save, stopped a near own goal by Matip, plus a few other saves. Thank goodness that we still managed to win the game, and the howler did not cost us any points. If it were Migs or Karius, I am sure some fans would have called for the keeper's head.

I thought Millie had an excellent game. Mane with the usual good stuff.

Redsi73

Really not sure about adrian tbh.
He's brilliant at times.
In the first half, he had a similar goof up, his distribution was not that great
What I did like was that in corners he's commanding and and generally comes across as a shot stopper to me.
A bit of consistency will really help.
Will trust him and hope he comes good.
Those last 5 mins was a horror show, entire team was struggling and it looked as if we would drop 2 points.
Once upon a time we would have dropped those 2 points, we are made of sterner stuff now though

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
After the exertions of mid week I was a bit worried about this game, Southampton can be a hard team to beat at the best of times but, off the back of an epic supercup, which included extra time and penalties, I thought the lads might be a wee bit tired today. So to come away with 3 points and play reasonably well is an awesome result for me. Not gonna quibble about Adrien - he made a great block in the first half and sometimes shit happens. He'll learn and move on. Best thing is that we are top and Man City could only manage a draw, courtesy of var. And the Rovers beat Bolton 5-0. Happy daze on Merseyside :)

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Horrible first half, glad that Klopp gave them a speech at half time, much better in the second until Adian fucked up.

We can't go on starting matches like this.

Red over the water

Just finished watching a recording of that and a recording of the Man City game. (Was out coaching my lad’s team, they lost 5-3).

Before a ball was kicked we all knew the score. After the exertion in midweek - worthwhile, trophy winning exertion, today was all about getting the three points. The performance level will come.

Adrian did some good saves, but that mistake was a bad one! Fortunately for him we didn’t drop points because of it.
Sadio Mane is a lovely player. That was some finish.
Firmino missed an easy one, but then made up for it with a lovely goal.
Mo isn’t fully there yet, but he’s always a threat even if he isn’t sticking them in the net himself.
Nice to see Ox play again, he’s building it up to get back to what he was. Keep going lad!

Job done, three points, now there’s a full week until Arsenal. I expect the performance level to improve as we go.

Final word goes to Man City: hahahahahahaha! It has to feel like a knife in the back to them, but the decision was quite correct.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
First half was rough to watch. Pretty miserable stuff. Second half was really good though, very dominant. Adrian made it more exciting than it should have been, but we got the points we deserved. All in all a very decent performance given the lack of preparations.

MOTM: Sadio and Bobby for providing the moments of top quality, and Virgil for being quietly awesome.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Just wanted to get of here with the points. Not bothered about the performance, after playing 120mins midweek.

Good professional display in difficult circumstances (sans Adrian mistake). Exactly what champions do.