• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (17 August, 2019)

Man of the Match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Fabinho

• Origi

• Henderson

• Total voters

Trader

See the pattern evolving in 3 out of our last 4?
Play average first half and come back strong in the second half. It happened in the charity shield, super cup and today.
We'll get better with better fitness as the season progresses. No doubt about it.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Every once in a while I go through the posts and think to myself "did everybody watch a different match than I did ? ".
1. Gini and Ox were very poor, Milner was the one player who did something to orginize the game and got stuck in. It is no wonder when he was out getting stitches we looked awful.
2. VVD - I think all the accolades from last season got to his head. He is playing lazy and ball watching for many minutes. If you look at the build up to Ings miss where he could have equalized, VVD suddenly stops running to intercept the pass. The save Adrian made from the corner, VVD is not even umping to clear the ball.
3. Adrian - I am not going to defend his howler, but this is a GK that can play with his feet - fact. He wants to either clear the ball or simply pass it to TAA completely free. Fabinho singles him to pass the ball forward to Robertson. Adrian trys something new - Ings scores. He did however made quite a few terrofic saves that kept us in the game. By no means was he the weekest link today.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Come back Migs, all is forgiven!!
Rather the mistakes are of their own making than just basically being a bit shite. His pre season was littered with great saves and errors.

Alisson fucked up against Leicester last season, it is how he learns from it. Nethier goal cost us but you could see that happening with Alisson much like Adrian.

Mignolet never learned to get any better.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Rather the mistakes are of their own making than just basically being a bit shite. His pre season was littered with great saves and errors.

Alisson fucked up against Leicester last season, it is how he learns from it. Nethier goal cost us but you could see that happening with Alisson much like Adrian.

Mignolet never learned to get any better.
I said it tongue in cheek, but it is rather ironic isn’t it? Mignolet would’ve been hung drawn and quartered for that today. And at 32, Adrian should have well learned by now.

fspencer

I said it tongue in cheek, but it is rather ironic isn’t it? Mignolet would’ve been hung drawn and quartered for that today. And at 32, Adrian should have well learned by now.
true . i think with us only really having Adrian , to get on his case for it , would be folly . Think we are now used to goalkeepers making mistakes .

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Every once in a while I go through the posts and think to myself "did everybody watch a different match than I did ? ".
1. Gini and Ox were very poor, Milner was the one player who did something to orginize the game and got stuck in. It is no wonder when he was out getting stitches we looked awful.
2. VVD - I think all the accolades from last season got to his head. He is playing lazy and ball watching for many minutes. If you look at the build up to Ings miss where he could have equalized, VVD suddenly stops running to intercept the pass. The save Adrian made from the corner, VVD is not even umping to clear the ball.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Even Klopp joked about Adrian's howler in the interview: “I said ‘you’ve finally arrived!’ Ali did the same, it’s obviously a goalie thing at Liverpool." He then added, "He made a mistake, no problem with that as long as we win the games.”

Ron Swanson

3pts against a potential banana skin especially after such a long match midweek, silly mistake by Adrian but as said Alisson did it last season. Just keep going tough one next with Arsenal but we are at home so we will snot them 2-0.

Oh and we are top of the league happy days

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Horrible first half, glad that Klopp gave them a speech at half time, much better in the second until Adian fucked up.

We can't go on starting matches like this.
Sign of champions. Play poorly and scoop 3 points. 3 wins from 3 so far. Wait till we actually hit form. And we have a good chance when arsenal roll into Anfield. Those fools always think they need to attack us.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
So
I gave it to Adrian
Remarkable reflex save to keep us in the match in the first half when the rest of the team was struggling to find rhythm
Sure - that was a stupid mistake
But Becker did it his 3rd or 4th match for us -
The lad was critical to the SuperCup win - god bless him

That said I cant WAIT until we get the cobwebs blown off (or as may be the case for some of the lads - until we come back down to earth)

YNWA

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Great 3 points in the end, especially considering the short turn around. Won ugly there to an extent, but as always the important thing as was coming home with 3 points. A well managed game in hindsight and would have been a lot more comfortable had it not been for Adrian's brainfart.

Winning ugly was bemoaned a lot last season, especially at the start of the season, but most of us accepted in the end that the days of heavy metal football being played 100% of the time at the expense of conceding too many goals is well and truly behind us.

Adrian's fuck-up aside, there is a huge gap between Adrian and Allisons distribution/ball at feet ability, which was really obvious for me in this game (not just the goal). Ox was very good in parts today, while Gini and Milly were solid but not spectacular.

I really hope we can find some more consistent form over the next few games. Matip, TAA and Robbo don't seem to have started back where they left off last season. For me, Matip has been particularly ordinary. He, along with TAA, Gomez and Robbo seem to be players who benefit from a lot of game time to find their rhythm. Fortunately this doesn't seem to be the case with Mane, Bobby and Mo (touch wood), who have hit the ground running.

Keita needs to be sorted out, I want to him put all of his niggles behind him, reach peak fitness and be consistently available. He needs to become the player we all expected him to be and match the potential Klopp saw in him. If we don't have someone like him stepping up, I reckon we have too many midfielders with relentless work rates ,but not necessarily the x factor/outright quality we lack at times.
On another note, what is it with Shaq? Does Klopp simply not rate him or trust him?
The boys will welcome a decent rest before the Arsenal game.

Danny_

Lets not over-react to the Adrian mistake. Other than this howler, he had a good game. That's two bad mistakes in two games (gave away the penalty mid-week) and we can't afford to do that against Arsenal. Lets hope he got it all out of his system. We really missed the protection Fabinho gives today. I thought that the front 3 were fantastic though. 2/2 and the perfect start for us. Arsenal game coming at a bit of a bad time. They are flying this season so it's going to be an important one. Great win today.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Bottom line is that we got past a dangerous fixture on short rest, and City dropped points at home. No style points necessary, barring Adrian's error it would have been an ideal grind-out away win.

But thank fuck they did not get that equalizer around 86 mins...onward to the Arsenal match.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
A win is a win is a win is a win.

Having said that, we're not really firing on all cylinders yet, which is great! Once everybody is up to speed and in the groove we will be inspiring awe. And that's awesome.

Win against Arsenal, and hope that Wolves take points off Man U, and a week from now we'll be the only team in the prem with a 100% record!

Glory2Anfield

3. Adrian - I am not going to defend his howler, but this is a GK that can play with his feet - fact. He wants to either clear the ball or simply pass it to TAA completely free. Fabinho singles him to pass the ball forward to Robertson. Adrian trys something new - Ings scores. He did however made quite a few terrofic saves that kept us in the game. By no means was he the weekest link today.
Always good and different insights

Lostmyfunk 3421

Standing on the verge of getting it on
Thoughts...Sadio Mane is one of the deadliest finishers in the world. Bobby is magnificent and has re found his confidence. Salah always a menace, dragging the defenders out and Ox pulling the strings... Gini looks like he is having a hangover from the Barca game, still. Robbo must have replacement. Matip was alright, needs to start next week. We are weaker than our rivals at the back currently.
Adrian kept us in it and I thought he was playing brilliantly until he gave it away. Wonder if he had conflicting shouts at the same time and was caught in two minds.

Massive win.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I love how Firmino forced his goal in spite of that big miss he had ealier. He's not the deadliest finisher in the game and most of the times he prefer to pass the ball to get us a goal than scoring them himself but when it comes down to it he most definetely can make a goal out of nowhere. He's currently my favorite player, he's the ultimate false 9 in the game and is kinda like a old classic 10 with his silky moves and playmaking skills. We're lucky to have such a special player in the team. put two speedy players to his sides and any defense will be put under massive pressure guarenteed.

RodM

Thoughts...Sadio Mane is one of the deadliest finishers in the world. Bobby is magnificent and has re found his confidence. Salah always a menace, dragging the defenders out and Ox pulling the strings... Gini looks like he is having a hangover from the Barca game, still. Robbo must have replacement. Matip was alright, needs to start next week. We are weaker than our rivals at the back currently.
Adrian kept us in it and I thought he was playing brilliantly until he gave it away. Wonder if he had conflicting shouts at the same time and was caught in two minds.

Massive win.
I saw some of the online vitriol aimed at Adrian (presumably from those that never saw the game) which I thought was totally unfair. The defence, including the keeper, has to work as a coherent unit and that comes through experience - instinctively knowing who is going to be where and what the cover and outlets are going to be. Adrian has been here less than a fortnight - he has probably just about worked out everyone's name let alone their positional foibles.

It was an absolute howler yesterday but overall I've been impressed with him so far - especially considering he cost sod all and he has been dropped in at the deep end.

My only real disappointment with him is that I was ready to celebrate his first clean sheet until the last 10 minutes. Maybe keep that one until next week?