• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (17 August, 2019)

Man of the Match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Fabinho

• Origi

• Henderson

• Total voters

Abdel

Kloop plan was to go easy in the first half due to midweek game .keep possession and press in midblock ( not high ) , the saints saw the opportinuty and started to come at us . in a crucial moment Adrian kept us alive with his save and Mané goal was just the icing in the cake at the last second .
Second half we played our usual stuff , saints were completely dominated and rinced until that mistake
we were not perfect yes but with cicumstances going against us . we still have the ability to gring the win whatever how the situation tourns out
Ox had his best game since he returned . kept the ball very well and provided his energetic runs to supply the front 3 .
Nothing to moan about . only Origi who make us play with 10 as he dont provide defensive cover and no attacking threat . also Shaqiri not getting minutes is a worry as it means that Klopp dont trust him and it left Divock as the only back up for the front 3 .
This win will have sweeter taste when ( if ) we win against Arsenal .

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Not too shabby all in all, with tired legs and little rest. First half was tosh though. No injuries is the most important, aside from the points. Adrian has to stop doing stuff that would get him substituted in an under 10 match. Two great saves from him though, let's not chop his head off quite yet.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Didn’t see the game as was watching Orient in a 0-0 bore draw.
Mate text me saying we were awful first half but then text saying mannnneeeeee!
Then another saying Bobbbyyyyyyyy 2-0 game over.
Then another text saying Ings. Adrian’s completely fucked it.
Last text. Phew held on!

Will watch motd and see highlights.

Important win and now a nice weeks rest.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Anyone find it odd that Lallana and shaq again are getting no game time?
With 3 games in 7 days and lots of travel you’d have thought they would’ve got on the pitch.

How was Ox yesterday??

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Does anyone know what the 'discussion' between Bobby and fitness coach Kornmayer + another staff member was about? Happened just after his goal.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Does anyone know what the 'discussion' between Bobby and fitness coach Kornmayer + another staff member was about? Happened just after his goal.
I’d imagine bobby and the coaches are a given.

Klopp probably.

Bobby’s wife if he’s the type of guy to share his work day over dinner.

So that’s five.

Chances are no one else is remotely interested.

macca1970

I understand Adrian's been taking lessons from Allison, they both give me heart attacks at times, how any goal keeper, can be so nonchalant when they have an attacking center forward opponent 6 meters away, is beyond me, how the hell did LFC collect two of them; That and Loris Karius , I guess the LFC goal keeper scout , is a true Liverpudlian Scouse, no one else would have such a great sense of humour.
Ha ha, yes Alison likes to do this as well. It's all good. I don't mind.

Except sometimes Alison likes to keep the ball resting against his foot as he plays chicken with the attacker closing in, which means that when the attacker almost on to him, he wastes a fraction of a sec to readjust his feet. If he just knocks it a few cm in front of him before goading the attacker, he wouldn't get those sticky moments.

Yesterday, Adrian should've used the first half incident as a wakeup call, but he went full Karius in the second half, without the mitigation of being concussed. He reminds me a lot of Mike Hopper, in that mixed with some ability is prone to a gaffe or two, and spending the majority of their careers as a number 2. He's done well though, and hope it continues. .

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Adrian makes good saves but they are one for the camera saves. Alisson doesn’t do spectacular saves cause he doesn’t need to.
Example. Matip 2nd half nearly diverts cross into his own net. Adrian dives spectacularly to left and parries wide. Looks great.
With Alisson he anticipates that and just catches it, throws it out to mane and we’re off on attack.
Less is more.

LaurazRed

Just thrilled and relived to get the result. So pleased when Firmino got the second. Thank God after Adrian's huge error. I have to say it doesn't fill me with great confidence keeper wise. I was having kittens when Ings missed. After the week we've had it was a brilliant result.

Noo Noo

I just saw the replay of this one but based on what I've seen from the highlights and previously in Istanbul etc. I've no issues with Adrian. One stupid error yesterday. I've faith that it wont happen again.

That said can anyone shed any light on what is happening defensively. We don't look right at all and Southampton could have easily scored 3 yesterday and probably should have. It's not a high line issue but we just look really flat when defending deep. Players are finding it too easy to get between any one of our back 4 and I include VvD in that. He almost looks lazy / legless at times right now.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
Adrian's blunder looks bad but he certainly kept us in the game when it was still in the balance.

All things considered, I'd much rather have him over Mignolet if it were between these two. Even with the error he made, I feel much better with Adrian between the sticks than when Alisson just got hurt. That's enough for me until he gets back. IF Adrian doesn't get hurt by another overzealous fan in the meantime that is...

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Doesn't that remind you of Mignolet and Karius. Pulled some great reflex saves, and messed up big time all in one match?
it does indeed
to go way off the trail here - to your post eddie re: Migs compared with Adrian in the in-match thread - I remember the first game Migs played - vs Stoke - first match of that season and him saving a penalty - also remember Migs always apparently putting the team first (who knows what goes on behind closed doors) - but he always seemed to go above and beyond to be a team player

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I just saw the replay of this one but based on what I've seen from the highlights and previously in Istanbul etc. I've no issues with Adrian. One stupid error yesterday. I've faith that it wont happen again.

That said can anyone shed any light on what is happening defensively. We don't look right at all and Southampton could have easily scored 3 yesterday and probably should have. It's not a high line issue but we just look really flat when defending deep. Players are finding it too easy to get between any one of our back 4 and I include VvD in that. He almost looks lazy / legless at times right now.
Southampton had 14 shots at our goal! That hasn't happened to us for 16 months!!

Fabinho missing must be a massive reason for that. Hendo to a lesser extent. Tiredness after 120 minutes on Wednesday and also the lads aren't up to speed yet must also be taken into consideration. Yet, WE are still the team at the top.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I said it tongue in cheek, but it is rather ironic isn’t it? Mignolet would’ve been hung drawn and quartered for that today. And at 32, Adrian should have well learned by now.
Yes because he has fucked up time and time again, same with Alisson after the Leicester game, Alisson did that once or twice after that.

It's up to Adrian to sit down and say yeah I need to cut the crap out, oddly he isn't even looking where he is passing.

Minglolet never did, I'll give a pass on Kairus as he never got the time, though we couldn't continue with him if we were to win trophies so we cut our losses.

As for the 14 attempts stat....yeah great if 3 are on target and one of which is kicked at the player then you will still struggle.

Should have killed the game that was my issue with the performance not particularly the brain fart. If he doesn't learn then fingers crossed Becker returns soon.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Southampton had 14 shots at our goal! That hasn't happened to us for 16 months!!

Fabinho missing must be a massive reason for that. Hendo to a lesser extent. Tiredness after 120 minutes on Wednesday and also the lads aren't up to speed yet must also be taken into consideration. Yet, WE are still the team at the top.
14 shots but 3 on target....we put 6 on target for instance.

Fabinho missing is not doubt impacting that. But yeah last wednesday no doubt impacted on our first 45 minutes.

But like Norwich we should have killed the game in the second 45.

Noo Noo

Indeed. we don't look quite right at the back at the moment. Norwich caused us some problems, Chelsea certainly did and now Southampton had some joy.
I don't mind being lucky but somewhere along the line you have to simply be better, and stay that way.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Indeed. we don't look quite right at the back at the moment. Norwich caused us some problems, Chelsea certainly did and now Southampton had some joy.
I don't mind being lucky but somewhere along the line you have to simply be better, and stay that way.
Don't think we need to worry though. Our defence on the whole last season was decent, although it was porous away from home in Europe. Becker is a BIG miss and you'd like to think Adrian won't make another error as bad as that for a long time. Trent needs to stop giving the ball away aswell.

Last edited:

fspencer

they gave him a tablet - probably to boost his energy a bit - but he wanted to carry on playing and threw the tablet on the floor the first time as there was no water given to him .

he didn't want us to be a man short .

nothing more than that .

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
they gave him a tablet - probably to boost his energy a bit - but he wanted to carry on playing and threw the tablet on the floor the first time as there was no water given to him .

he didn't want us to be a man short .

nothing more than that .
I missed that bit. When was this?