• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (17 August, 2019)

Man of the Match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Fabinho

• Origi

• Henderson

• Total voters

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Lots of people pointing out how we look more defensively fragile (myself included) but I think the problem lies in the middle of the park where to a man they all look miles from their best. Fab, Gini, Hendo and to a lesser extent Milly all look well off form. Injury to Naby hasn't helped because I feel he can come in and make a place his own if he can sustain fitness. The point about the lack of game time for Shaq and Lallana has been made by others and it makes you wonder if they were not given a run yesterday after the midweek exertions, are they really just squad padding for cup games?

Last edited:

big noyd

given the circumstances, i'm not surprised we didn't see lallana or shaq. wouldn't be surprised if klopp had a mind to get lallana involved, but then our midfield struggled mightily to get a hold on the game and he had to insert fabinho for solidity

shaq just isn't trusted to live up to his defensive responsibilities, and i don't think origi would have signed a new contract if he wasn't given some assurances that he'd be the clear 4th in our front 3

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I love how Firmino forced his goal in spite of that big miss he had ealier. He's not the deadliest finisher in the game and most of the times he prefer to pass the ball to get us a goal than scoring them himself but when it comes down to it he most definetely can make a goal out of nowhere. He's currently my favorite player, he's the ultimate false 9 in the game and is kinda like a old classic 10 with his silky moves and playmaking skills. We're lucky to have such a special player in the team. put two speedy players to his sides and any defense will be put under massive pressure guarenteed.
I prefer to think of firmino as a #8 playing as a #9.

Also think it's high time that he gets more opportunities to score. I see Salah being more wasteful where he should have passed. Hoping that he gets back to being the Salah of the first season where he has a quite a large number of assists and starts feeding opportunities to Bobby.

redalways

TIA Regular
given the circumstances, i'm not surprised we didn't see lallana or shaq. wouldn't be surprised if klopp had a mind to get lallana involved, but then our midfield struggled mightily to get a hold on the game and he had to insert fabinho for solidity

shaq just isn't trusted to live up to his defensive responsibilities, and i don't think origi would have signed a new contract if he wasn't given some assurances that he'd be the clear 4th in our front 3
I highly doubt the manager is one to be handing out such reassurances...

fspencer

Alisson having won enough accolades and titles to be seen as flawless. If going by pedantry, not a single soul is flawless. So there ya go.....

Or so I've been told.
he was in the assist comp with trent and robbo but just didn't understand the rules lol :p

MinniMo

In a few decades you will all be watching robots (engineered in the like of the best footballers ever) running around the pitch.

Liverpool will have the likes of Dalglish, St John, Fowler, Gerrard, Torres, Suarez, Mane, VVD, Alisson etc. etc. in the line ups. There will be no mistakes made, all rules of the game will be followed diligently and precisely. Injuries will be eliminated as they occur, and watching fans who criticise any moves by a player will be tasered.

... I know, you all think I'm joking, don't you?

I'll take the flaws, much more fun!

fspencer

In a few decades you will all be watching robots (engineered in the like of the best footballers ever) running around the pitch.

Liverpool will have the likes of Dalglish, St John, Fowler, Gerrard, Torres, Suarez, Mane, VVD, Alisson etc. etc. in the line ups. There will be no mistakes made, all rules of the game will be followed diligently and precisely. Injuries will be eliminated as they occur, and watching fans who criticise any moves by a player will be tasered.

... I know, you all think I'm joking, don't you?

I'll take the flaws, much more fun!
we've had a robot . his name was crouch . scored the perfect hat-trick .

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Superb win. I couldn't watch the game, but from the highlights, it looks as if it was a good game with spells going in favour of one or the other team. Hadn't that error from Adrian not disrupted our end of the game, it would have been a fairly straightforward win for us though. Of course, the last minutes must have been hand-in-mouth stuff for those watching live... ;-)lol

Southampton will take points from a lot of teams at home, and I think that these three points, especially after the Chelsea game in midweek, are massive and a further indication of the progress accomplished by this squad.

One week now to recover (and train hard) before Arsenal at home. Six points from two games: it's fair to say that our season is on the rails. Looking forward already to what is coming! :)

Wilkored08

if adrian looks like shit next time out, then i'll worry...but that was bad, especially after the first half incident

with hazard gone, sadio is clearly the best wide player in the prem imo. has absolutely carried our attack at points in each season he's been here. his finishing has been pretty consistent since the dodgy stretch last season, brilliant strike

midfield didn't really work but that's not much of a surprise. hard for ox to find space or get into the game when firmino/salah/trent are all playing, and we're obviously not the same team without firmino. keita is the one who needs to emerge as a difference maker

trent attempted an unnecessary, difficult pass near the very end and gave it straight to a southampton player. was fine defensively but had a poor game on the ball

matip played well but he runs like a normal CB which is why, ideally, gomez reestablishes himself as vvd's partner
Superb win. I couldn't watch the game, but from the highlights, it looks as if it was a good game with spells going in favour of one or the other team. Hadn't that error from Adrian not disrupted our end of the game, it would have been a fairly straightforward win for us though. Of course, the last minutes must have been hand-in-mouth stuff for those watching live...

Southampton will take points from a lot of teams at home, and I think that these three points, especially after the Chelsea game in midweek, are massive and a further indication of the progress accomplished by this squad.

One week now to recover before Arsenal at home. Six points from two games: it's fair to say that our season is on the rails. Looking forward already to what is coming!
Yep....one week to recover...any news of Ali's return...?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Anyone find it odd that Lallana and shaq again are getting no game time?
With 3 games in 7 days and lots of travel you’d have thought they would’ve got on the pitch.

How was Ox yesterday??
Its really all about the type of midfielder. Despite the midweek game, we still have a lot of midfielders and only really one spot where Klopp will play a true attacking midfielder. The team will continue to be Hendo/Fab/Gini in one position, Gini/Hendo/Milner in another and Keita/Ox/Lallana/Milner/Hendo in the most attacking position. 90% of matches will feature a midfield containing one player from each of those group this season.

The last 10% will be where Klopp lines us up in a less common formation against certain opposition. Think a 442 diamond with Shaq at the top. But I imagine like last season Shaq will get a good chunk of his minutes as a wide forward sub.

Its no surprise Ox got the nod as he's an exceptional talent, and he proved it yesterday. Origi has deserved the first forward sub so Shaq needs to wait his turn.

Last edited:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
This is a very good win coming off a busy week, but I wouldn't say we played fantastically well. Mane's goal was against the run of play and they easily could have scored 3 on us with some slightly better finishing. That last miss by Ings was incredibly fortunate for us.

I feel like Trent and Robbo have played a notch below their talent this season. Not worried at all about them in the long run, but so much of our brilliance is predicated on their ability to join the attack and track back defensively. Trent has been beaten too often defensively while Robbo's touch has failed him too often so far. It'll get better, though.

Loved what I saw from Ox in the midfield and I think he's going to get even better match after match.

Credit to Adrian for playing with injury, and he was solid generally. The howler he gave up was embarrassing but as long as it doesn't portend a trend than I can live with him between the sticks until Alisson returns.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
This is a very good win coming off a busy week, but I wouldn't say we played fantastically well. Mane's goal was against the run of play and they easily could have scored 3 on us with some slightly better finishing. That last miss by Ings was incredibly fortunate for us.
Isn't it a natural reaction that a home team would play with their tails up and create a couple of chances, whether that's against us, city, mu or spurs? They created two decent chances- the corner which Adrian saved and the Adams header over the bar that Adrian covered. Both defensively dealt with easily. We had two chances that we didn't score from - Salah through on goal with the keeper making a good save with his feet, and Bobby's bad miss. Coulda shoulda woulda could apply to both teams yesterday

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Agent Ings had to score the first goal. It would've been suspicious to put that one wide after such a gift from Adrian.

But, he delivered mightily on the next massive chance at the near post. If you look at the highlights very carefully, you see him giving Klopp a little wink immediately afterwards that clearly said... "Job done, gaffer."

Any other forward would've put those two chances away, but not our boy.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Credit to Adrian for playing with injury, and he was solid generally. The howler he gave up was embarrassing but as long as it doesn't portend a trend than I can live with him between the sticks until Alisson returns.
Good professional win on tired legs.

For Adrian, we know he isn't close to Alison's level, but he has done enough for us to win games. What more can you ask of the backup? And if he copies Alison's habit of confining his howlers to games we have in hand, rather than making mistakes or being easily beaten when the game is still hanging in the balance, I will continue to applaud him.

Have to confess his extra touches on the ball do make for some stressful watching though...

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Isn't it a natural reaction that a home team would play with their tails up and create a couple of chances, whether that's against us, city, mu or spurs? They created two decent chances- the corner which Adrian saved and the Adams header over the bar that Adrian covered. Both defensively dealt with easily.
Not sure we were watching the same match. A missed header, a reflex save, and a missed sitter from Ings were not "defensively dealt with easily." The Adrian reflex save was the only one of the three that was even dealt with at all defensively, and anything other than a header sent directly at Adrian results in a goal. The others were just misses from So'ton.

Yes, it is true that every home side is going to have chances, but if we were playing a top six side instead of a So'ton side that'll likely be fighting to stay up, it is much likelier we give up at least one, if not all three of those chances they missed. That's the difference between 3 points and possibly zero.

We have to do better if we expect to compete for a title, and I expect us to do so.

[email protected]

Not sure we were watching the same match. A missed header, a reflex save, and a missed sitter from Ings were not "defensively dealt with easily." The Adrian reflex save was the only one of the three that was even dealt with at all defensively, and anything other than a header sent directly at Adrian results in a goal. The others were just misses from So'ton.

Yes, it is true that every home side is going to have chances, but if we were playing a top six side instead of a So'ton side that'll likely be fighting to stay up, it is much likelier we give up at le7ast one, if not all three of those chances they missed. That's the difference between 3 points and possibly zero.

We have to do better if we expect to compete for a title, and I expect us to do so.
You're right but the 'if that was a top six team (etc) we'd be punished' line was also trotted out for large parts of last season, especially at the beginning when, let's face it, we did look rather lethargic. Turned out alright in the end.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
good 3 points, very pissed off with Adrian. He had time to see what/who was around him, and he still went to sleep, especially in that he had already had a near miss in the 7th minute. I guess I don't like sloppines, hope Klopp let him know all about it behind closed doors. Really lucky that Ings missed that decent chance to level the match.