• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Southampton v Liverpool (EPL 5/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 57’]

• Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 57’]

• Keita [GOAL 35’, off 87’]

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 80’]

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • Firmino

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Milner [on 57’]

• Henderson [on 57’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • Lovren [on 87’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noo Noo

There is little question the two subs changed the match, but a bit surprised so few thought Mane worthy of man of the match. Until the subs on the hour, he was probably our only main threat. Few others covered themselves in glory, to be fair. We struggled for an hour, even if we did have control for much of it.

Henderson did a captains job from the bench. Front foot stuff from him and Milner. Put Salah away for his winner, and scored, but did anyone see who won the challenge before Hendo's header to Salah? Fantastic challenge by Mane.

Do we even have a song for Henderson after he does something like that tonight? I cant remember any song with his name in it, and its our captain. Hmm!

Hefty stuff for our lads to be squeaking out wins like this under pressure while City coast through their matches. If I was a betting neutral, I know where my money would be. Still, Cit must watch our matches and realize, we are just not going to give up.

Come on City..... do the world a favour and fuck up.

What a night........
That's a very fair and good point. Mane has been on another level this season.

RE the MoM award its all a bit confusing to be honest.

Sky had Salah
NBC had Firmino
You have Mane
Henderson seems the favoured option on this forum.

Noo Noo

Any United fan that wants them to win a quadruple (erasing their treble as the greatest achievement in modern football) simply hasn’t thought it through.
About the norm I would have thought. That's the way they seem to roll.

I find them a very strange bunch to be honest.

I wonder what Brendan can do for us at Leicester?

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
This team. Fucking hell. Every game from now to the end of the season will be like this. The pressure these lads are playing under is incredible. It's bad enough just watching. Fuck knows what it must be like to play in it.

I am made up for Henderson. His good games are quickly forgotten and he was given plenty of stick on Sunday. Tonight was the Henderson of 13/14. Immense performance from him. The Salah goal could be season defining. Not just because it won us the points tonight but the surge of confidence Mo will now have will help him score plenty more. We have really missed his goals these last few weeks but with him firing again anything is possible.

The substitutions changed the game. Now maybe we can appreciate what the experience and calm heads of Milner and Henderson bring to this team because before their arrival we had zero control in the middle of the pitch. Calmest of the lot was Klopp. He made the right decisions at the right time.

We're going to have to win them all, aren't we? After tonight I really believe that we can.
Hendo and Milly weren't calm they were aggressive both physically against the opposition and verbally geeing up our players to go again and work harder .... what is known as leadership

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Hendo and Milly weren't calm they were aggressive both physically against the opposition and verbally geeing up our players to go again and work harder .... what is known as leadership
You can have a calm head and still be aggressive but, yes, leadership was what I was alluding to. JK said himself that both Milner and Henderson were 'verbally aggressive' when they came on. We were so weak last night up until the substitutions especially in midfield. By some distance, our worst midfield performance of the season. Hard to believe it could have got worse in the second half but it did and we were lucky we were still level when Henderson and Milner came on because the game was definitely getting away from us.

After that there was only one winner although we typically left it late. When the next argument breaks out about our best midfield line up we need to remember this game. I have never been so relieved to see Henderson and Milner come off the bench. At this stage of the season it's about guts and determination and these two have it in spades.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
I gave my MOTM to Henderson. We have given him a hard time over the years.
When Gerrard left, Henderson had huge boots to fill. This was not an easy task to do. Hendo has become his own man and found his voice to become a leader
and he has his own style to influence his team mates. The boy from Sunderland has done good. Long may he flourish. :-)

Last edited:

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Between seeing the team under the cosh for large parts of the game, getting immensely pissed off with the referee and that shithead Le Saux, who made Tyler look pro-Liverpool in comparison, and the mayhem of the two goals in last ten minutes, I still haven't fully recovered. I really hope that it doesn't come down to the wire, but it sure looks like it. It's going to be a long 5 weeks until the end of the season.

The game itself was typical of our games lately as in it gave another thrilling ride to the Liverpool fans and a happy ending. If only the starting midfielders had put in a competent performance... it could have been so much easier. But in true Liverpool form we don't do things the easy way. Besides, the way the game panned out was once again the ultimate shot in the arm. Starting terribly, being under pressure almost immediately, slowly gaining a foothold to almost losing it again at the start of the second half. And then Klopp comes up with two perfect substitutions and the game is turned on its head. And who gets the two vital goals? Salah who hadn't scored in his last 9 and Henderson who hadn't found the net in 18 months.

Not even Hollywood can come up with something better than this.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Henderson was freaking amazing yesterday :well done:
I've been after him a lot this season but I'll be the first to admit that he was top top class and motm in this game. He was running around like a madman and evidently it resulted in him getting a goal. perfect. it's excatly what I've missed from him for so long now and you could tell how important it was for him with his celebation, he can definetely build on it I think and score a few more in the next weeks. what a excellent time for him to find his best form... and about time too.

Salah scored one amazing goal aswell, reminiscing Mo from last season when he was unstoppable, and again his celebration showed how much it meant to him. he will hopefully start a scoring spree from now on til the end of the season. Good work.

what a great time for two of our key players to find their best form.

Have to address Keita, I mean he scored a vital goal (which highlight his potential) but there's still a long way to go for him, lost count how many times he lost the ball in the middle cause he have too many touches on the ball before moving it on, saints midfield sensed that weakness and were all over him. Naby needs to learn to be quicker with moving on the ball on if he wants to be a mainstay.

Three points and we still in it. Next up Porto and they're gonna get it.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Henderson is nowhere Gerrard's level but I feel he is suffering the same fate as Gerrard in the National Team when paired with Lampard. That in both prefers to attack but has to rein in their tendencies and like Gerrard, the manager knows Henderson can be counted on to do a job within the framework of the team compared to other midfielders.

He will never be one of our greatest captains in terms of aptitude but for his passion, loyalty, humility and respect for this great club, I hope he will be the one lifting the biggest prize for us in 29 years.

jaffod

I think the referee was just poor this evening to be honest. Just bad.

There's waiting for an advantage etc. but then there's actually not seeing what's happened.
I'd like to see one of these 'poor' and 'incompetent' referees be poor and incompetent in our favour for once. This bloke last night saw Sterling was onside against Watford even though his linesman gave him off, but he couldn't see contact on Keita last night even though he had a perfectly clear view of it. Same with Atkinson against Leicester and Taylor against the FFP abusers.
People will bang on about us benefitting from a few marginal offsides like last night but they are incredibly hard to call sometimes given the separation between the player receiving the ball and the one passing it, what fucks me off is the number of bad calls where the referee is perfectly positioned to see it but quite simply doesn't want to give it.

dockers_strike

I was listening to the end of Radio 5's summary after the Spurs game last week and heard Chris sutton saying "I think their name's on it. I think they're going to win it.' And again, after last night's game, Im beginning to think he's right. Id thought we were in an excellent position before we played city at the emptyhad being 7 points clear especially when we pulled it back to 1-1. But we ended up losing and I think that knocked the stuffing out of the boys somewhat. We went on to win a scruffy game at Brighton but draws against everton, west ham, leicester and united saw that advantage evaporate.

Although we've won a number of games since, we're back to winning scruffy. There's nothing wrong with that ofcourse. In fact Id happily 'win scruffily' from now to the end of the season if Charlie Championship finds his way back into the Main Stand trophy cabinet.

What it does do though is give all the media, sports writers and growing mob of neutrals who dont want Liverpool to win the league the opportunity to speak of and write their guff about Liverpool looking nervous and fluking it while bulling up city for serenely swatting teams away.

All while conveniently ignoring we have been playing some decent teams in Leicester, united and Spurs not to mention having a couple of blatant pens turned down along the way. Even Southampton have improved since they got shot of Useless and brought in the 'Klopp of the Alps.' Sky even said Southampton were the form team since the turn of the year but I dont know how correct that is. Add in Southampton isnt an easy place to go to and get a result and the media's assertion that Liverpool looked 'nervous' is bollocks in my humble opinion.

Many of these pundits had also said this was our toughest game left in the run in so, which is it boys, the toughest game left or nervous Liverpool? It cannot be both, right?

Jurgen sprung a surprise putting Naby in the team from the start. Hardly anyone saw that coming. Personally I was surprised Gini started as I think he's been showing signs of tiredness in games and that hendo missed out.

The game started pretty much as you expected with Southampton looking to stifle us in their last third of the pitch. Once again, we made one of their strikers who couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo look an accomplished finisher when he opened the scoring on 8 minutes. How, or why, do we do this? Last time it was Redmond who broke his scoring drought against us. This time it was Long with just his 3 goal in 39 games. Unbelievable.

It looked to me like Matip had got drawn out of position and when the cross came in both Virgil and the attacker just missed it which left Robbo needing step ladders to attempt a clearance. Instead the ball fell kindly for Southampton and at 1-0 doubts must surely have been in virtually everyone's mind.

The boys had some good chances with Naby going nearest but we were getting little joy out of an organised Southampton team who were working hard to close us down. I did begin to wonder if they could keep that effort up all game though. Trent who had a bit of a torrid time all night that would see him subbed in the 2nd half eventually found a cross for Naby to get his head on. The header had power and even though Southampton's keeper got his hands to it, he couldnt keep it out.

Southampton still had opportunities which was a worry and absolutely nothing was coming off for Mo. In the 2nd half it was clear we needed a change and I called it that Hendo and Milner needed to come on and gee things up. People slag off Hendo but this is the performance you get when he isnt playing.

The change in tempo was apparent from the off. From a Southampton corner, Hendo made a sweet header to Mo who was off against two defenders from his own half. Now I love Mo but nothing had gone for him all night and I was shouting for him to play (I think) Bobby in. But Mo knew better and put the ball in the net to much joy or was that relief? I think Mo's shirt off celebration said it all.

Not long after another break this time by Bobby saw an in rushing Hendo bury it from 6 yards. Even Hendo doesnt miss those and did he enjoy it. Made up for the lad as some of the shit he gets from some of our so called fans is an utter disgrace. I read in another forum some Hendo hater saying it was an 'inconsequential goal in the scheme of things.' Well, whatever, haters gonna hate, I guess but I bet any remaining city players or fans switched off the game at that point so it was a goal of consequence.

With city on FA Cup duty today, it means we go back to the top and stay 2 points clear. Some people are still fretting over their game in hand but at this stage of the season, it's points on the board not points to play for that count. Sure, we still need city to drop points and they are now getting to a hectic point in their season. We can only do what we can and next up is chelsea in the league.

No doubt they will be looking to spoil the party as they did in 2014. This time though, Hendo will have a score to settle as well as the whole team. Although my belief has wavered a bit, well, a lot really since the city defeat and draws, I just cannot get Chris Sutton's words out of my head, it looks like our name's on it and I think they're going to win it.

Believe!

MOTM is a close one but Im giving it to Bobby for his unselfish workrate and laying on Hendo's goal.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Surprised some see the Keita incident as a clear penalty - thought firstly he had lost control of the ball, and secondly (because of losing the ball) he had begun to fall before contact.

dockers_strike

Surprised some see the Keita incident as a clear penalty - thought firstly he had lost control of the ball, and secondly (because of losing the ball) he had begun to fall before contact.
The Southampton defender went through Naby and didnt even touch the ball. Watch the replays and Naby isnt going down until he's clipped. If that tackle is anywhere else on the pitch it is a direct free kick. In the box, that's a pen and its the 2nd time Naby has been robbed.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
That's a very fair and good point. Mane has been on another level this season.

RE the MoM award its all a bit confusing to be honest.

Sky had Salah
NBC had Firmino
You have Mane
Henderson seems the favoured option on this forum.
I can see how Bobby would be a valid choice. Mo scored a worldie and worked his socks off but his touch and control was poor and he could not seem to hold the ball up at all.
For me Henderson changed the game in terms of drive and determination as well as popping up with the third goal. I think Fabinho is easily the best option for the deeper role because he's a better tackler and quicker passer of the ball but Henderson can easily be deployed further forward where he be more of an attacking threat.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I was listening to the end of Radio 5's summary after the Spurs game last week and heard Chris sutton saying "I think their name's on it. I think they're going to win it.' And again, after last night's game, Im beginning to think he's right. Id thought we were in an excellent position before we played city at the emptyhad being 7 points clear especially when we pulled it back to 1-1. But we ended up losing and I think that knocked the stuffing out of the boys somewhat. We went on to win a scruffy game at Brighton but draws against everton, west ham, leicester and united saw that advantage evaporate.

Although we've won a number of games since, we're back to winning scruffy. There's nothing wrong with that ofcourse. In fact Id happily 'win scruffily' from now to the end of the season if Charlie Championship finds his way back into the Main Stand trophy cabinet.

What it does do though is give all the media, sports writers and growing mob of neutrals who dont want Liverpool to win the league the opportunity to speak of and write their guff about Liverpool looking nervous and fluking it while bulling up city for serenely swatting teams away.

All while conveniently ignoring we have been playing some decent teams in Leicester, united and Spurs not to mention having a couple of blatant pens turned down along the way. Even Southampton have improved since they got shot of Useless and brought in the 'Klopp of the Alps.' Sky even said Southampton were the form team since the turn of the year but I dont know how correct that is. Add in Southampton isnt an easy place to go to and get a result and the media's assertion that Liverpool looked 'nervous' is bollocks in my humble opinion.

Many of these pundits had also said this was our toughest game left in the run in so, which is it boys, the toughest game left or nervous Liverpool? It cannot be both, right?

Jurgen sprung a surprise putting Naby in the team from the start. Hardly anyone saw that coming. Personally I was surprised Gini started as I think he's been showing signs of tiredness in games and that hendo missed out.

The game started pretty much as you expected with Southampton looking to stifle us in their last third of the pitch. Once again, we made one of their strikers who couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo look an accomplished finisher when he opened the scoring on 8 minutes. How, or why, do we do this? Last time it was Redmond who broke his scoring drought against us. This time it was Long with just his 3 goal in 39 games. Unbelievable.

It looked to me like Matip had got drawn out of position and when the cross came in both Virgil and the attacker just missed it which left Robbo needing step ladders to attempt a clearance. Instead the ball fell kindly for Southampton and at 1-0 doubts must surely have been in virtually everyone's mind.

The boys had some good chances with Naby going nearest but we were getting little joy out of an organised Southampton team who were working hard to close us down. I did begin to wonder if they could keep that effort up all game though. Trent who had a bit of a torrid time all night that would see him subbed in the 2nd half eventually found a cross for Naby to get his head on. The header had power and even though Southampton's keeper got his hands to it, he couldnt keep it out.

Southampton still had opportunities which was a worry and absolutely nothing was coming off for Mo. In the 2nd half it was clear we needed a change and I called it that Hendo and Milner needed to come on and gee things up. People slag off Hendo but this is the performance you get when he isnt playing.

The change in tempo was apparent from the off. From a Southampton corner, Hendo made a sweet header to Mo who was off against two defenders from his own half. Now I love Mo but nothing had gone for him all night and I was shouting for him to play (I think) Bobby in. But Mo knew better and put the ball in the net to much joy or was that relief? I think Mo's shirt off celebration said it all.

Not long after another break this time by Bobby saw an in rushing Hendo bury it from 6 yards. Even Hendo doesnt miss those and did he enjoy it. Made up for the lad as some of the shit he gets from some of our so called fans is an utter disgrace. I read in another forum some Hendo hater saying it was an 'inconsequential goal in the scheme of things.' Well, whatever, haters gonna hate, I guess but I bet any remaining city players or fans switched off the game at that point so it was a goal of consequence.

With city on FA Cup duty today, it means we go back to the top and stay 2 points clear. Some people are still fretting over their game in hand but at this stage of the season, it's points on the board not points to play for that count. Sure, we still need city to drop points and they are now getting to a hectic point in their season. We can only do what we can and next up is chelsea in the league.

No doubt they will be looking to spoil the party as they did in 2014. This time though, Hendo will have a score to settle as well as the whole team. Although my belief has wavered a bit, well, a lot really since the city defeat and draws, I just cannot get Chris Sutton's words out of my head, it looks like our name's on it and I think they're going to win it.

Believe!

MOTM is a close one but Im giving it to Bobby for his unselfish workrate and laying on Hendo's goal.
You were doing so well until the bit in bold.
I've only seen one or two comments in Henderson discussions that were't objective opinions, and respectful towards him.

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
What a game. Just when I was cursing the screen for Klopp to use his final sub and make it Salah for Origi. Bam Mo shows up after losing mostly all of his battles and possession. Great goal

I’m not a huge fan of Matip but tonight I feel he deserved much praise. He defended well. Shit down Redmond on a 1 on 1 and dribbled the Southampton many times. I gave him MOTM as he deserves much more credit than he gets

Henderson brilliant game. Wish I could see this daily. He has the talent. Maybe it’s klopp holding him back. If he can play advanced and this is what’s produced. It’s a no brainer.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
'You should be able to take as long as want for a throw in,sometimes players aren't available to throw to','players should be able to play against parent clubs''Keita should've been booked for diving','referees shouldn't change their mind as it looks weak'.Lesaux,the troll commentator.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
'You should be able to take as long as want for a throw in,sometimes players aren't available to throw to','players should be able to play against parent clubs''Keita should've been booked for diving','referees shouldn't change their mind as it looks weak'.Lesaux,the troll commentator.
Lesaux strikes me as one of those dickheads who as a player would bring a copy of some highbrow newspaper like the Times or the Financial Times to read in the dressing room, just to make sure everyone knew he was intelligent.

Clive

You can have a calm head and still be aggressive but, yes, leadership was what I was alluding to. JK said himself that both Milner and Henderson were 'verbally aggressive' when they came on. We were so weak last night up until the substitutions especially in midfield. By some distance, our worst midfield performance of the season. Hard to believe it could have got worse in the second half but it did and we were lucky we were still level when Henderson and Milner came on because the game was definitely getting away from us.

After that there was only one winner although we typically left it late. When the next argument breaks out about our best midfield line up we need to remember this game. I have never been so relieved to see Henderson and Milner come off the bench. At this stage of the season it's about guts and determination and these two have it in spades.
So what’s your feeling moving forward mate? It’s April and we’re top of the league and in the CL quarterfinals. This is not your first rodeo, hows it going to play out?

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Lesaux strikes me as one of those dickheads who as a player would bring a copy of some highbrow newspaper like the Times or the Financial Times to read in the dressing room, just to make sure everyone knew he was intelligent.
It was reported at the time that his teammates used to take the piss out of him because he read The Guardian.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It was reported at the time that his teammates used to take the piss out of him because he read The Guardian.
Someone must have mentioned that to me once, leaving the impression even though I forgot that I knew it.

Sadly, I used to know a player who did something similar to conceal the fact that he was illiterate.

dockers_strike

You were doing so well until the bit in bold.
I've only seen one or two comments in Henderson discussions that were't objective opinions, and respectful towards him.
Behave yourself. I dont know where you go for your 'objective opinions' and respect towards him. Or maybe you missed Jurgen saying Hendo's problem with many fans is he isnt Steven Gerrard? You're not Code, are you?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Behave yourself. I dont know where you go for your 'objective opinions' and respect towards him. Or maybe you missed Jurgen saying Hendo's problem with many fans is he isnt Steven Gerrard? You're not Code, are you?
Only what I've read earlier on in this thread.
And I'm personally glad he isn't Steven Gerrard.