• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Southampton v Liverpool (EPL 5/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 57’]

• Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 57’]

• Keita [GOAL 35’, off 87’]

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 80’]

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • Firmino

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Milner [on 57’]

• Henderson [on 57’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • Lovren [on 87’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Just so we are clear, Salah wasn’t offside. VAR would have stated the defense had adequate time to reset following the clearance so Trents cross was a new action and as such Keita’s goal would have stood. (VAR reviewed this and confirmed the above btw. Its testing results in every game and reviewing every borderline decision).

Keita’s was a pen, soft but a pen.

Nothing to worry about we won, move on.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Just so we are clear, Salah wasn’t offside. VAR would have stated the defense had adequate time to reset following the clearance so Trents cross was a new action and as such Keita’s goal would have stood. (VAR reviewed this and confirmed the above btw. Its testing results in every game and reviewing every borderline decision).

Keita’s was a pen, soft but a pen.

Nothing to worry about we won, move on.
What are you talking about ? Salah was offside .
Yes you are right that his offside would not be replayed by var as Southampton had time to recover but he still was offside. Certain posters would point to conspiracies against us if that call happens to us so ya you have to take both incidents together and not just cherry pick one to suit your point .

Anyway enough of this here let's continue this in the conspiracy thread where it belongs

dockers_strike

This is for anybody who believes in omens.
The last time a horse won back to back Grand Nationals, Red Rum 1977. Liverpool won the double of the league and European Cup. We won the league by one point from runners up...... Manchester City!!
Ive got everything crossed that we do win it because I couldnt bear to hear them united twats singing 'You nearly won the league. Again!' next season.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
2 quick points:
Just back from a weekend away that started with this game. Stayed at a hotel near the ground and just after midnight spotted the Southampton manager knocking back g&ts in the bar.
Anyway I had been getting bogged down in the conspiracy thread recenty and was beginning to get a bit jaded and depressed about the nature of my fellow fans. Went to this, sang myself hoarse behind the goal, spotted a famous female golfer (Lara Davies) in the crowd and a big scouse bloke (complete stranger) kept on hugging me after every goal. My faith in this wonderful club and it’s wonderful fans fully restored.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I‘m expecting Porto to be stronger than last year. They are warned, more experienced and improved. Knowing Anfield (stadium and atmosphere) will also help them.

No way this is going to end 5-0 but I’m hoping for a win with a clean sheet.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

2 quick points:
Just back from a weekend away that started with this game. Stayed at a hotel near the ground and just after midnight spotted the Southampton manager knocking back g&ts in the bar.
Anyway I had been getting bogged down in the conspiracy thread recenty and was beginning to get a bit jaded and depressed about the nature of my fellow fans. Went to this, sang myself hoarse behind the goal, spotted a famous female golfer (Lara Davies) in the crowd and a big scouse bloke (complete stranger) kept on hugging me after every goal. My faith in this wonderful club and it’s wonderful fans fully restored.
Ditto

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Bloody hell man!!! :indifferent:This team is going to kill us before May.

I honestly thought, we are going come out of the 90 minutes with a draw. I felt so despondent. I thought we blew it, we have no chance now. I left the house, walked to the off-licence shop and stood outside for 5 minutes contemplating whether to go in, but the Local Sainsbury's next door won me over...
I wish I'd followed your example. I'm getting too old for this stress induced over-indulgence. It took me two days to recover from the match; none of the usual remedies worked, not even five or six measures of the old faithful, "grappling hook". I would commit to total abstinence, but on the last occasion I took the pledge, shares in Irish distilleries plummeted on the news. I've now resolved only imbibe when there's a "y" in the day. :eh?:

As a consequence of "ἡ κραιπάλη", the Mem and I only got to re-watch the match last night. Southampton were clearly up for it, and could quite easily have gone two up but for fate smiling upon us. However, our class eventually told, despite the best efforts of Paul Tierney who turned in one of the worst, most biased performances I've seen from a referee this season. As far as tierney was concerned, it was open season on our players; Southampton could foul our lads with impunity, but woe betide any Liverpool player who tackled one of theirs. Four yellow cards to us; two to them; it was a joke. It makes me wonder, from where did the manila envelope at the back of tierney's locker originate? :think:

On a brighter note, at least tierney won't be playing for Porto tomorrow night. :celebrating:

Commando

Ad-free Member
Been meaning to mention the defending by Saints' right back for Bobby's chance. A very good block to stop what would have been a peach of a goal. Bobby had lifted it over the Saints' CB and it fell nicely fo a volley past the keeper only for the interception by the RB.