• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Southampton v Liverpool (EPL 5/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 57’]

• Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 57’]

• Keita [GOAL 35’, off 87’]

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 80’]

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • Firmino

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Milner [on 57’]

• Henderson [on 57’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • Lovren [on 87’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
It's games like that that make you think our name's on the trophy. Brilliant gutsy performance against a very good Saints side (who let themselves down with all their time-wasting fuckery).

Great finish by Salah , the perfect time for him to come good at last.

Wonderful stuff.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Great way to finish a tough tie,early.
Hope Hendo’s critics will give it a rest fora day or two.
He made the difference,plus Soton was tiring,certainly didn’t gift us the three points
Hendo MOTM for me.
And great to see Mo back among the goals,hope it gives him the boost he needs with the business end of the season apron us.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Bloody hell, that was hard to watch at times as Southampton pulled us down to their level,
with there chaotic kick and rush football, we couldnt get a grip on it. or take control of the match

Thankfully our class shown through in the end,

Men of the match, no ifs no buts...
the travelling kop whose were immense tonight

We shall not, we shall not be moved,
We shall not, we shall not be moved.....

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Im sorry to put this in a match thread but I'm hoping for some help
I just realized during the match that the date of the chelsea game next weekend has changed from saturday to sunday
I need to scramble and rearrange my flights and hotel and everything
there are no more flights from dublin into Liverpool on the 13th
Im thinking of flying into manchester and then going to liverpool - would that work? whats the best way to get from manchester to liverpool?
thanks for any help
Mick

Red over the water

Fantastic spirit. We started slowly then went in at half time level. I expected us to come out fast in the second half, but again Southampton looked keener. On that point, credit to them and their manager as they are a tough nut to crack.

On our end, great goal by Mo, a lovely third by Henderson, and with such passion, and the game was won.

That one was more about the character and fighting spirit than anything else. Sometimes the quality wins it. Usually that’s the case actually. But then sometimes you aren’t quite at your best but if you have that sort of never say die spirit, you can go far.

I can’t wait to see how far this season.

Get in!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I'm almost used to us grinding out results but I still hate it. Big win. Was impressed with Matip throughout the game and Mo's goal was sublime. Went with Hendo for MotM. Absolutely transformed us.

I've puzzled for a while as to what our best midfield is and have come to the conclusion that it is whatever is on the bench.
My only issue with Joel is whether he communicates effectively with Trent as that is where Southampton caused us problems, didn't help that the midfielders didn't cover their runners

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Im sorry to put this in a match thread but I'm hoping for some help
I just realized during the match that the date of the chelsea game next weekend has changed from saturday to sunday
I need to scramble and rearrange my flights and hotel and everything
there are no more flights from dublin into Liverpool on the 13th
Im thinking of flying into manchester and then going to liverpool - would that work? whats the best way to get from manchester to liverpool?
thanks for any help
Mick
Mate...walk if you have to.

Watching this team in the flesh is a privilege.

macca1970

More work on the training pitch needed for the starting midfield three to work effectively together. Expect Milner and Hendo to come in against Porto.

Milner showing experience at right back. TAA got a nice rest for the final part of the game, so all good

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Great to see Salah scoring, gets the stupid critics off his back and lets him feel a bit more confident. I thouggt Firmino was superb in the second half. He defends so well from set pieces, excellent all round. Also glad to see Keita score, this will give him confidence. Denied a stonewall penalty as well, definitley a foul.
Cant say it was never in doubt, Hendo's goal was really welcome!

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Shouting at the wife...………. "NO MO, NO MO, NO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" then sets off like a loan around the house, headbutts the fridge and my boy goes 'Daddy you're scaring me'. Get the fuck in! This club just keeps on giving! Now let's go batter Porto and the Chavs please.

Flobs

FADA
I much prefer our uncreative midfield to our non existant one.
Fuck me I wouldn't like to know what would have happened if our real midfielder and our real captain Jordan 'lick my arse now' Henderson hadn't come on.

That 1st half performance was pathetic!

Barnestormer

Left wing.
SFC tactics made the game tense and tight, they had 10 players back most of the time and their early goal played into that. Allowed us no space, but when they got ambitious, at that corner and the first fucking time they threw players forwards, we took the chance and changed the game. It was noticeably the first time they were exposed. Then they had to come out and play and we finished them off. Serious resilience and credit to Klopp for making the right changes. Ive succumbed to Hendo MOM. Although, thought Firmino and Matip had decent games. Glad Naby has broke his duck, and Mo's goald was precisely that. Tucked it through a closing crowd of three into the side netting:rolleyes:

Dimitriy

....I looked at the panel, thinking what to say...We are realisticaly, couple of hundred milion in signings - away, to be able to compete with city. How do we do it !?...I can not put it in the realm of expected or anticipated at least...It looks like, whenever the oponents think they can pull it off...we do it !!!
And yes, wrecking my nervs...on the verge of cardiac arrest, and stuff like that...FUUUUCK, we won again

Werder4life

I love this game so much. In tears (almost).
The very best out of this match to me is , that all of our "doubtfull" players broke their mental chains tonight. When Mo scored I almost fainted , it was that a relief. My motm goes to Bobby , who was our secret swiss army knife tonight. Crucial in defense , great in link up , unselfish vital runs , brilliant assist for Hendo.
Only downside we collected a bunch of "unforced" yellows - can't begrudge Mo's though - I would have jumped out of my skin in that situation.

At 3-1 I was thinking of that cup match in (was it?) 2016 against Southampton. They had their tails up early back then and got hammered - I felt a thing like this might be on the cards tonight as well...

Fucking elated!