• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Southampton v Liverpool (EPL 5/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 57’]

• Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 57’]

• Keita [GOAL 35’, off 87’]

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 80’]

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • Firmino

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Milner [on 57’]

• Henderson [on 57’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • Lovren [on 87’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Bloody hell, that was hard to watch at times as Southampton pulled us down to their level,
with there chaotic kick and rush football, we couldnt get a grip on it. or take control of the match

Thankfully our class shown through in the end,

Men of the match, no ifs no buts...
the travelling kop whose were immense tonight

We shall not, we shall not be moved,
We shall not, we shall not be moved.....
Had a big smile listening to them singing that

Commando

Ad-free Member
Bloody annoying all those people singing while I'm trying to listen to what our players are saying. Some people have no manners. lol Joking aside the fans were brilliant tonight. It was like a home game.

I've given Henderson some well deserved stick over the years and a lot of stick this season, but I gave him the man of the match today. He totally changed the game against the Saints. Maybe the midfield three is Fabinho, Naby/Gini and Henderson; when Henderson plays the box-to-box role with his energy. I wish we could bottle what Henderson did today and give it to him to drink every time he plays. I wish he would realize that every minute he has the ball at his feet, it's a chance for him to influence the game. Well done today Hugo, long may it continue. We go again.
Hugo? I've seen this a couple of times now. What am I missing?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Bloody hell man!!! :indifferent:This team is going to kill us before May.

I honestly thought, we are going come out of the 90 minutes with a draw. I felt so despondent. I thought we blew it, we have no chance now. I left the house, walked to the off-licence shop and stood outside for 5 minutes contemplating whether to go in, but the Local Sainsbury's next door won me over. Then, went home and made a cuppa tea and took deep breaths, then came on the threads to catch up of what happened, dreading the worst. I felt relieved rather than celebratory as if the lads had come out of emergency surgery.

On a positive note.:)
So happy for Keita to get his first goal, bless him. We were brutal to him in the In-match thread before he scored. Hopefully, he will be more confident in the next match.

Mo managed to shake off his goal drought, so pleased he got his 50th goal. This is a huge confidence booster for him. His mindset will be much better for the next game and will shut the critics up for a while.

Henderson, wow!! What can I say, he divides opinion, but tonight he was our 'Knight in shining armour'. He galvanised the whole team on the pitch, along with his deputy Milner and asserted control and calmness in a difficult situation, he made them all believe, we can do this, we fight till the end. I was so proud that Hendo got that 3rd goal. He made sure the game was over. Jordan you are my hero tonight.

Our travelling Kop were marvellous, they helped push the lads over the line with their support.

You know, I love our Jurgen to bits, but sometimes I thought he was abit mad with his team selection and substituions, but I now realise he is a 'mad genius'. Our gaffer has had the last laugh on us. What do we know. :)

Anyhow, I am sorry for being a wuss and running away and not facing reality, but when you have been so near and hopes have been dashed in seconds, it is scary going through of "what happens if our player gets hurt or a bad decision goes against us" etc again.

We won and got the 3 points, I am so grateful. It was a hard match against a tough and worthy opposition. We still have 5 gruelling matches to go. Keeping the faith is a struggle. We will get through this.
:well done:
I’m with you. It’s actually no good for my health this. I’m on edge every match. My heart pounds and until Henderson scored I wasn’t enjoying the game at all. The last 5 mins or so I was just trying to relax (a bit like when I hit my head on the cupboard door and have to focus really hard otherwise I will go full hulk mode and trash the kitchen).
I feel like I’m 98 years old.

Red over the water

My wife came home just before and asked, “Why is your t-shirt on inside out?” I was puzzled by this, as I didn’t realize it was. Then I thought back and said, “It must have been when Mo scored. Me and the lad whipped our shirts off to twirl them around as we ran wild in celebration with Mo!”

Much tutting ensued.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I watched it in a random pub as no chance I was going to get home in time.

Then had talksport on whilst driving home after the match - Chelsea and united hosts were baiting us - think we’ve won it already etc... both want city to win the quadruple... just pure hatred for us. Sad.

But if we keep this up, city must crumble... surely.

It keeps on happening. Believers.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
My wife came home just before and asked, “Why is your t-shirt on inside out?” I was puzzled by this, as I didn’t realize it was. Then I thought back and said, “It must have been when Mo scored. Me and the lad whipped our shirts off to twirl them around as we ran wild in celebration with Mo!”

Much tutting ensued.
Next time my missus comes back early and finds me with my shirt on inside out I’m going to use that salah excuse. See if it works.

redaderry

Bloody hell man!!! :indifferent:This team is going to kill us before May.

I honestly thought, we are going come out of the 90 minutes with a draw. I felt so despondent. I thought we blew it, we have no chance now. I left the house, walked to the off-licence shop and stood outside for 5 minutes contemplating whether to go in, but the Local Sainsbury's next door won me over. Then, went home and made a cuppa tea and took deep breaths, then came on the threads to catch up of what happened, dreading the worst. I felt relieved rather than celebratory as if the lads had come out of emergency surgery.

On a positive note.:)
So happy for Keita to get his first goal, bless him. We were brutal to him in the In-match thread before he scored. Hopefully, he will be more confident in the next match.

Mo managed to shake off his goal drought, so pleased he got his 50th goal. This is a huge confidence booster for him. His mindset will be much better for the next game and will shut the critics up for a while.

Henderson, wow!! What can I say, he divides opinion, but tonight he was our 'Knight in shining armour'. He galvanised the whole team on the pitch, along with his deputy Milner and asserted control and calmness in a difficult situation, he made them all believe, we can do this, we fight till the end. I was so proud that Hendo got that 3rd goal. He made sure the game was over. Jordan you are my hero tonight.

Our travelling Kop were marvellous, they helped push the lads over the line with their support.

You know, I love our Jurgen to bits, but sometimes I thought he was abit mad with his team selection and substituions, but I now realise he is a 'mad genius'. Our gaffer has had the last laugh on us. What do we know. :)

Anyhow, I am sorry for being a wuss and running away and not facing reality, but when you have been so near and hopes have been dashed in seconds, it is scary going through of "what happens if our player gets hurt or a bad decision goes against us" etc again.

We won and got the 3 points, I am so grateful. It was a hard match against a tough and worthy opposition. We still have 5 gruelling matches to go. Keeping the faith is a struggle. We will get through this.
:well done:
I feel your pain @Maria , it's tough at the top as they say. We're in the front seat on that big red rollercoaster again, and the last time we were in it was the Suarez year in 2013/14 and that was devastating at the end. This year feels different though with Klopp.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I feel your pain @Maria , it's tough at the top as they say. We're in the front seat on that big red rollercoaster again, and the last time we were in it was the Suarez year in 2013/14 and that was devastating at the end. This year feels different though with Klopp.
I hope so, this is why I felt relieved with a sigh. The thing is, it is not in our hands, but quite a few people, including non Liverpool fans are saying what you are saying. :). It gives us hope.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
First - thanks to everyone who gave me ideas and tips as I was scrambling to reschedule travel for me and my son immediately after the match today - I REALLY appreciate all of your help. I believe I have gotten most of it squared away. I'll DM each of you. But again thank you.

What a match.
It seems like before the Mo goal that nothing was going right for us (aside from the Naby goal of course); that Mo himself looked to have totally lost his touch and balance; and that Southampton were outplaying us in every area. The midfield that I think many of us had been really looking forward to seeing in action were looking inept at best and not up for the title run in at all. And we had the burden of making Shane Long look good!

I'll be the first to admit, when Mo crossed the half-way line for the counter that led to the goal, I thought "oh no" he's going to miss this one too....as he got closer to the goal I thought "please pass to Bobby..." and when he took the shot I thought..."he's left it right of the damn post..." and then me and my son danced in each others arms in sheer delight - man that was one of the sweetest moments....

Only to be followed by that emphatic Hendo goal - that was poetic justice on so many levels for him to put that away like that and then go to the fans to share the joy and determination - and the embrace between him and VVD afterwards - where VVD would not let him go - I was on my knees...

Gave MOTM to Mo (actually didn't give it yet, have to scroll up and do that after I post this)

I'm kicking myself for doubting before the Mo goal - but it sure looked bleak ....

Well done redmen again .....!

And again - thanks to everyone for the help today

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
If I'm going to criticize the captain when he's playing poorly, I have to give him credit when he plays well. He was MOTM for me.

Very happy that Naby finally broke through. It's been a tough season for him, but I still believe he can be a quality player for us moving forward.

That Mo goal was electric.

Bobby Chompers working his ass off as always.

I don't think City are going to win out. But as I said after they retook the league lead - we can't focus on them. Just keep winning. Let the chips fall where they may.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
I watched it in a pub full of Manure fans lol The pub I wanted to watch it in was fucking rammed and I wanted to be able to buy drinks. It's remarkable to me that so many people will commune to watch a match that doesn't concern them or the other teams at their level in any way lol I don't think they had as much fun as me :) We go again.....

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Like many, I certainly thought we were only destined for a point, at best, around the 75 minute mark. I can't get my head around why it apppears we lack intensity for long periods, and often around the start of both halves. Is it self-belief? Are we happy to sit back in the knowledge we can soak up the pressure?, or are we simply slow starters?Who knows?

Thought the midfield on paper was just what we needed, but it's certainly evident today exactly what Hendo and Milly bring. Perhaps Fab isn't quite ready to have the weight of responsibility entirely on his shoulders. Does Wiji need Hendo, Milly or both on the field, to be able to maintain the levels he has reached this season?
Hopefully Keita scoring will lift a massive burden off him. It certainly doesn't look like he is anywhere near what Klopp wants him to be defensively at the moment and he will need to improve dramatically in that area.
Does anyone know if TAA was under an injury cloud today? He certainly seemed to have one of the worst games I have seen him play for a while.

I expect much of the same when we go to Cardiff. They will offer less by way of attacking threat, but I'm sure they will employ the same go-slow tactics and congestion in defence.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
[B]OptaJoe[/B]‏Verified account @[B]OptaJoe[/B] 50s51 seconds ago
More
16 - Following their come-from-behind victory, Liverpool have won 16 points from losing positions in the Premier League, the most of any side this season. Backbone.

I voted for Matip, why because there was no real good individual performances, including Matip. With his Giraffe height and orangutang arms, really should be bullying Shane ‘hobbit’ long in the air. But i felt he was one of our positive players,

Basically we were woeful, however, Southampton impressed me. They countered our FB’s and their AM found pockets of space between our lines.
In my opinion this was always gonna be a tricky fixture and although we werent great we won again.

I was going to mention it after the Spurs game, we seem to be stumbling towards the finishing line, where as City seem to be playing with Freedom. At the moment we continue to take 3 points, irrespective of performance.

As long as we take 3 points every game i dont care, but as people have mentioned the heart may not last the course.

scouseheadross

Septical
There are a few times over the years that I've wanted to post Keowns 'bottle' rant but it would certainly fit perfectly tonight - and particularly for Naby and Jordan. Can anyone find it or even confirm it was a thing? Damn if it's lost to history.

Bad news is I think Arsenal bottled it to Utd that year.

Perhaps a crap comparison as this team has dug deep and come through when needed .... so far, at least.

Motm to 'bottle' (or maybe Matip, or Alisson who passed the ball with more purpose than the midfield first half. Gini was very poor - their first goal was embarrassing. Maybe Klopp deserves a motm shout for truly inspired subs!)

RedYank

I rarely am ill..God-blessed good constitution and all. However, this morning was laid out with the bug. Didn't get out of bed until match time, so watched on the TV as opposed to my usual place at the pub. Missus was out shopping, so just me and the cat. Was thinking for quite a bit that this would be the point or worse that would sink the season. Going through my mind of scenarios where we might still catch those cheating bastards, but wasn't getting anywhere.

Then Mo scores...I jump out of the chair screaming...cat goes running for cover...and I stop thinking about scenarios.

We shall not be moved.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Three huge emotional milestone goals there for the run-in.

Keita's 1st for the club, in a match where he played his way in.
Salah's winner, to break the slump and notch a 50th.
Henderson's first in a long while, capping a great show of leadership and setting the tone for a very different second half.
Insightful damn post