Post Match: Spurs v Liverpool (EPL 11/1/20 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 65 48.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 24 17.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Henderson

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain (off 61’)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Salah (off 90+1’)

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Firmino [GOAL 36’]

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • Mane (off 81’]

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Lallana (on 61’)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Origi (on 81’]

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Shaqiri (on 90+1’)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedLar

There is a reason why our opponents miss chances when it matters.It is not luck or anything like that.And scoring late goals or winning close matches on consistent basis is not happening because of luck.
"Anything like that"? Ok, then what is it? Their Bottle? They all bottle because of our Mental strength? Eh????? WTF?

As for opponents fucking up easy chances. Sorry, it's out of your control, and it's called fucking lucky. The miss by el crespo (sp- crespo LOL) lad late in the match was arguably more difficult to miss, than him actually scoring. It was big massive horsey clogs at Aintree.

I suggest we have ridden (get it? Ridden) through some very nervy last 10-15 minutes in a significant number of games this season, oftentimes unnecessarily. And, as stated earlier, teams have missed glowing chances to score late on.

Nothing mentally giant at all imho. Champions get loadsa good luck. Quite happy with that, but not about to call it something else. No harm to suggest we don't give up for 90 minute, and also ride a fair bit of luck. That's what I am witnessing.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
"Anything like that"? Ok, then what is it? Their Bottle? They all bottle because of our Mental strength? Eh????? WTF?
Opponents know that even if they nick 1 goal, we can quickly get 1 goal too. So once we go 1 goal up, a lot of our opponents just down tools. They won't give 100%.
As for opponents fucking up easy chances. Sorry, it's out of your control, and it's called fucking lucky. The miss by el crespo (sp- crespo LOL) lad late in the match was arguably more difficult to miss, than him actually scoring. It was big massive horsey clogs at Aintree.
Often enough when you have world class GK and world class CB, opponents get a slight bit of doubt in their mind. They don't go fir the most easiest and will look for the most difficult to stop chance and miss.
These are mental aspect of the game which we have achieved due to our never say die attitude. How can you say we are not mentality monsters.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Someone pelase advise me what is so mentally good about letting our opponents have two sitters (my granny could have put away) in the last 15 minutes. Was almost a mental collapse in truth. I bet I could list about 5 last minute sitters opponents have blazed wide in our games this season.

In truth, we've ridden large bits of luck in several of our closer games this season. Lost count of the number of post match reports when we have just been relieved to hear the final whistle.

Last minute winners, and staying in the game for 90 minutes, is mentally demanding, but lets not confuse a bit of luck with mental fortitude. Mental me arse.
To achieve an off-the-chart run like our lads have done recently, you need luck. And you need not only a bit of luck, but loads of it.

You're entirely right, we have been lucky on numerous occasions this season. If we hadn't enjoyed it, we'd have dropped points here and there. On the other hand, if our lads weren't so good and consistent, and didn't generally do the right things, they'd never enjoy that amount of luck. Great teams are lucky in this sport. You see it time and time again. The red mancs did it for decades. They were 'lucky' and we were 'unlucky', on a consistent basis. They got the late winners, we got the late equalising goals against us. They won titles, we didn't.

At the end of the day, they were simply better managed and had better teams, that's all. Now, it's reversed. The club is in a good state all round, we have a great manager and a magnificent team, and have benefitted from 'luck' on a quite consistent basis, thanks to doing the right things on and off the pitch. Long may it continue!

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
To achieve an off-the-chart run like our lads have done recently, you need luck. And you need not only a bit of luck, but loads of it.

You're entirely right, we have been lucky on numerous occasions this season. If we hadn't enjoyed it, we'd have dropped points here and there. On the other hand, if our lads weren't so good and consistent, and didn't generally do the right things, they'd never enjoy that amount of luck. Great teams are lucky in this sport. You see it time and time again. The red mancs did it for decades. They were 'lucky' and we were 'unlucky', on a consistent basis. They got the late winners, we got the late equalising goals against us. They won titles, we didn't.

At the end of the day, they were simply better managed and had better teams, that's all. Now, it's reversed. The club is in a good state all round, we have a great manager and a magnificent team, and benefit from luck on a consistent basis, thanks to doing the right things on and off the pitch. Long may it continue!
It’s worth recalling, however, that in United’s halcyon years the media mantra was that champions make their own luck whereas, now that we are the country’s dominant team, we are merely lucky.

It’s an interesting exercise in how the media twists facts and moulds public perception.

Hope in your heart

Admin
It’s worth recalling, however, that in United’s halcyon years the media mantra was that champions make their own luck whereas, now that we are the country’s dominant team, we are merely lucky.

It’s an interesting exercise in how the media twists facts and moulds public perception.
Well to be fair, many media have run with Klopp's suggestion that our lads are 'mentality-monsters', and are praising us on a weekly basis. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it's mainly frustrated utd and city fans who call us lucky. Just like we used to call the red mancs lucky when they were steamrolling the league season after season.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Luck is just a matter of perception, coloured by your own bias. I used to rage against the luck United always got - last minute winners, bringing players in from nowhere who’d perform, fergie time, the other teams always seemed to crumble against them.

Of course, luck had little to do with it. It was just a brilliantly managed team squeezing out every drop.

People might think we rode our luck on Saturday, allowing chances that Spurs should have punished us with. But is it luck at all? I think we’re happy to allow - even encourage - those speculative shots from the edge of the box, because we know that it will take something special to beat Alisson. And the attacker knows it too.

This is what I think is going through Son’s head on Saturday as he takes that shot

Right. This is it. The big chance the gaffer said we’d get. He said we’d have to take it because there wouldn’t be another. Don’t fuck this up. It’s liverpool. They’re brilliant. Have to get this right.

Oh Christ look at Van Dijk steaming in. I need to get this away quickly or he’ll take it off me like a sweetie from a baby.

Just get it on target. Look at the goal. Bloody hell look at the size of Alisson Becker. Best keeper on the planet, there Son. And he’s gorgeous as well. Need to get this right in the corner.

What’s this? Fucking Alexander-Arnold tracking back like a maniac. Don’t panic. Don’t panic. But you you need to take this early. Hit it now.

Remember. Hit it now. Careful of Van Dijk and Alexander-Arnold, and for gods sake put it in the top corner postage stamp or Alisson is smothering it with his massive bear hands. This is it. Now. Now. Now.

Fuck

Limiescouse

It's football. No team takes all their chances. And so the one they missed late on is no more relevant to the score ending 1-0 to us than any of the big chances we squandered early on.

Flobs

FADA
It is even worse this weekend we’ve got Pawson last time he officiated this fixture he failed to award us 3 penalties but I hope that VAR will keep him in check i am not holding my breath though in view of who is in the VAR room (Paul Tierny)?
He seems to have a tendance to favor the away side from what I can gather.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Luck is just a matter of perception, coloured by your own bias. I used to rage against the luck United always got - last minute winners, bringing players in from nowhere who’d perform, fergie time, the other teams always seemed to crumble against them.

Of course, luck had little to do with it. It was just a brilliantly managed team squeezing out every drop.

People might think we rode our luck on Saturday, allowing chances that Spurs should have punished us with. But is it luck at all? I think we’re happy to allow - even encourage - those speculative shots from the edge of the box, because we know that it will take something special to beat Alisson. And the attacker knows it too.

This is what I think is going through Son’s head on Saturday as he takes that shot

Right. This is it. The big chance the gaffer said we’d get. He said we’d have to take it because there wouldn’t be another. Don’t fuck this up. It’s liverpool. They’re brilliant. Have to get this right.

Oh Christ look at Van Dijk steaming in. I need to get this away quickly or he’ll take it off me like a sweetie from a baby.

Just get it on target. Look at the goal. Bloody hell look at the size of Alisson Becker. Best keeper on the planet, there Son. And he’s gorgeous as well. Need to get this right in the corner.

What’s this? Fucking Alexander-Arnold tracking back like a maniac. Don’t panic. Don’t panic. But you you need to take this early. Hit it now.

Remember. Hit it now. Careful of Van Dijk and Alexander-Arnold, and for gods sake put it in the top corner postage stamp or Alisson is smothering it with his massive bear hands. This is it. Now. Now. Now.

Fuck
If I miss this, Klopp might drop the obvious interest he has shown towards me, allowing me to join the word's best club. I must not miss!

Fuck.

:LOL:

FGred

Well to be fair, many media have run with Klopp's suggestion that our lads are 'mentality-monsters', and are praising us on a weekly basis. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it's mainly frustrated utd and city fans who call us lucky. Just like we used to call the red mancs lucky when they were steamrolling the league season after season.
I must admit I used to rage at the media’s articles about LFC but the last few weeks they have been on the whole very positive maybe because they are finally coming to the conclusion that we are a very good team and we deserve to win the league. The most significant thing is that Moaningho who used to do no wrong in their eyes is being criticised for his predictable tactics against liverpool.

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
As the great Gary Player once said, "the more I practice the luckier I get"... The results are a product of tactics, style and good old hard work - the luck goes with it. United had it under Fergie, we have it under Klopp, last year Pep's side had plenty.

jay90

lovely monologue Mascot88! i've been explaining that myself today. once you consider trent's brilliant effort to get back, ali being ali, and the pressure knowing you probably wont get a better chance, that chance looks a lot harder..

RedLar

At the end of the day, they were simply better managed and had better teams, that's all. Now, it's reversed. The club is in a good state all round, we have a great manager and a magnificent team, and have benefitted from 'luck' on a quite consistent basis, thanks to doing the right things on and off the pitch. Long may it continue!
No argument with any of that......

RedLar

It's football. No team takes all their chances. And so the one they missed late on is no more relevant to the score ending 1-0 to us than any of the big chances we squandered early on.
Missing your own chances early on, does not alter the fact you were lucky they missed theirs late on...... does it?

Suggest missing your own chances (not seeing the game off when you should) makes you even luckier you got away with the result.

Limiescouse

Missing your own chances early on, does not alter the fact you were lucky they missed theirs late on...... does it?

Suggest missing your own chances (not seeing the game off when you should) makes you even luckier you got away with the result.
It's the difference between treating an incident in isolation vs considering it in the context of the entire match.

You might argue we were lucky they missed their one good chance at the end. That does not equate to concluding we were lucky to get away with the 3 points because it requires you to ignore the times when Spurs could consider themselves similarly (more?) lucky to get away without being punished.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
He seems to have a tendance to favor the away side from what I can gather.
From his stats on transfermrkt I wouldn't suggest that, games under him tend to go to form so the team higher up seems to win, though he did officiate Wolves win over Man City earlier in the season (not the boxing day one).

Ironically on the suggestion of home he has officiated several big wins for us with only one draw at home, the WBA game in Klopps first season.

Regardless you take the ref out of the equation, you have to sometimes like we did at the weekend.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member

I suggest we have ridden (get it? Ridden) through some very nervy last 10-15 minutes in a significant number of games this season, oftentimes unnecessarily. And, as stated earlier, teams have missed glowing chances to score late on.

Nothing mentally giant at all imho. Champions get loadsa good luck. Quite happy with that, but not about to call it something else. No harm to suggest we don't give up for 90 minute, and also ride a fair bit of luck. That's what I am witnessing.
True, but the times this season that the other team took that chance against us, our lads sucked it up, went down the other end and scored another goal to get the result. That isn't just luck, its something better.

Flobs

FADA
From his stats on transfermrkt I wouldn't suggest that, games under him tend to go to form so the team higher up seems to win, though he did officiate Wolves win over Man City earlier in the season (not the boxing day one).

Ironically on the suggestion of home he has officiated several big wins for us with only one draw at home, the WBA game in Klopps first season.

Regardless you take the ref out of the equation, you have to sometimes like we did at the weekend.
I had a quick look at 'whoscored' https://fr.whoscored.com/Referees/104/Show/Craig-Pawson Where it's possible to view which team recieved cards from him and the awy team offered suffered more when he reffed. I can not see where in the trasfermrkt you can see anything as the score is probably more related to team quality. Hence why I said he seemed to favor the away side which indicates a concious effort not to be influenced by the home support (well an over compensation even).

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
a magnificent 3pts.
obviously had we converted our chances early on we'd have really cruised the remainder of the match.
6 beautiful clean clean sheets - paradise!
some of our passing went astray(I remember Hendo misplacing a couple and Gini getting caught in the second half which led to a Spurs chance), tiredness crept in to some players after 60 minutes, but its only to be expected due to all the football they have played.
but we won and we keep on going. this team are world beaters!
Alisson was assured as usual, his handling and passing were excellent. anyone seen the video of Firmino getting a Christian baptism ? Alisson was there and part of the ceremony!
and now we have our injured players returning which is obviously a huge relief!!!

Last edited:

RedLar

It's the difference between treating an incident in isolation vs considering it in the context of the entire match.

You might argue we were lucky they missed their one good chance at the end. That does not equate to concluding we were lucky to get away with the 3 points because it requires you to ignore the times when Spurs could consider themselves similarly (more?) lucky to get away without being punished.
Not so. The game and chances, and luck, are perceived differently, depending on the time of the match. I miss a chance in the opening minute, I have 89 more minutes to rectify the mistake. Not as big a deal. I miss the same chance in the last minute, it's considerably unluckier (or luckier depending what side you're on) because you do not have the same time left to right my wrong. People remember last minute sitters more than those committed in the first 5. Blazing over the bar at 1-0 down when into injury time, is considerably more dramatic than doing it in the opening minute.

Limiescouse

How dramatic something is and what people remember from a game do not affect the overall balance of who deserved what from a game.