POST Match: Sunderland 1-1 Liverpool (15.09.12)

alaskared

Kloppite
seems like the in game threads stretch a little too long these days, can't beleive I am starting this a fulll 20 minutes after the game is over.

Gerrard always tired after internationals . Sterling and Suarez a handful.

No one has ever one the league by dominating, only winning.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Seen worse but it's still not quite there yet I'm afraid. Still, out of the relegation zone. Wahey

Sterling again was our most threatening player. The 20m we have burning a hole on our bench isn't taking much note though it seems

Also Borini, he's a trier but he looks a bit limited at this level. But we don't have anyone else except a couple of teenagers

Effort was above average but a signpost of a top side is winning when playing badly. A signpost of mediocrity or worse is not getting 3 points when you are on top. That's the big problem for me

We need a win, and soon in the league because this team doesnt know how to win at this time and it's an ongoing problem here. Still, a 1-1 away is better than a 1-1 at home at one of our many bogey venues

kwala

TIA Regular
Bottom line is if you want to win you have to score more than you opponent.

If your Goal keeper is piss poor, your defence shakey, 2/3rds of your midfield consistently give the ball away, and you lack creativity, composure and a finisher in attack, then you are struggling from the off. We are a VERY poor side. We have the worst attack in the PL bar none.

This is going to be a hard to watch season.

Sterling MOTM. Glen Johnson also played pretty well but was shaky defensively and partly at fault for Fletcher's goal.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Bottom line is if you want to win you have to score more than you opponent.

If your Goal keeper is piss poor, your defence shakey, 2/3rds of your midfield consistently give the ball away, and you lack creativity, composure and a finisher in attack, then you are struggling from the off. We are a VERY poor side. We have the worst attack in the PL bar none.

This is going to be a hard to watch season.
Bloody hell, cheer up. It's always this kind of bullshit unless we win five nil lol

I thought we played some excellent football - the signs are there of a team coming together, we just need to be more clinical in the final third.

We dominated the match and Sunderland will come away relieved they got a point.

We've had a bastard fixture list to the start of the season - I'm certain come the new year we'll be riding high.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Annoying thing is that if we weren't on such a poor run todays result would have been good but we need a win right now so badly. I am extremely concerned about where our goals will come from. 3 goals in 4 games is pretty poor.

The 20m we have burning a hole on our bench isn't taking much note though it seems
Andy Carroll - 35m - out on loan.
Stewart Downing - 20m - can't hold his place in the 1st team over a 17 year old.
Jordan Henderson - 16m - bench.
Charlie Adam - 7m - sold.

That is 78m worth of investment which should have taken us to the next level. Instead not a single one of those is a first team starter 1 year later and two of them are not even at the club this season.

And to put it in comparison the entire Newcastle squad cost less than those 4 players who can't even get into our first team. Yet if you asked me who is more likely to finish higher on the table it would be very hard to choose us.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Copying what I wrote in the in game thread:

First half was decent, but nothing more. We looked stressed after they got the goal, but it looked like Rodgers used the half time break well. Really picked ourselves up in the second half after going a goal behind, which is a feature we've lacked the last few years. We didn't get stressed, and kept playing it calmly and with purpose. Good to see. Pity we didn't get the win, but all in all I'm very encouraged by the performance.

How about that Raheem Sterling, eh. Really like his courage with the ball, but most of all his composure and intelligence. Gets his head up, makes clever little runs, doesn't try to force anything. Did just about everything right in the second half. Lovely to watch.

Also, great to see Luis get a goal. Love it when he shuts up the haters.

Annoying thing is that if we weren't on such a poor run todays result would have been good but we need a win right now so badly. I am extremely concerned about where our goals will come from. 3 goals in 4 games is pretty poor.
To be honest a draw against Sunderland should never be considered a "good" result. If we start convincing ourselves that it is it will truly mark the day we have accepted ourselves as a midtable team. It may be an ok result but not more than that.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
To be honest a draw against Sunderland should never be considered a "good" result. If we start convincing ourselves that it is it will truly mark the day we have accepted ourselves as a midtable team. It may be an ok result but not more than that.
Sad thing is I am starting to accept we aren't a top team anymore. But on the flip side people are saying Man City getting a draw at Stoke is a good result.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
the thing with Gerrard, I dont think that he was aweful...he was as bad as everyone in the first half, and improved in the second half.

but from him I expect more, he our star player...if he wont perform then we will not have a good season

other then that, what can I say...woodwork...unlucky...the regular (and all too familiar) things.
looking forward to the next match

Sad thing is I am starting to accept we aren't a top team anymore. But on the flip side people are saying Man City getting a draw at Stoke is a good result.
I don't think the majority of Man City fans would be too happy about getting a draw against Stoke even though they are a hard ground to play at. But I think they will accept it as an ok result because they know a lot of top teams usually struggle against them and will probably drop some points there aswell.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Wont be any 4th spot if all we can do is draw games which we should have won.
The bogey is still with us, can't put them away and worse can't see who is going to.
But WTF, we're up to 17th. Waay to go!

kwala

TIA Regular
Bloody hell, cheer up. It's always this kind of bullshit unless we win five nil lol

I thought we played some excellent football - the signs are there of a team coming together, we just need to be more clinical in the final third.

We dominated the match and Sunderland will come away relieved they got a point.

We've had a bastard fixture list to the start of the season - I'm certain come the new year we'll be riding high.
Coming together? I must have been watching something else. We played in front of a team that dropped off. Statistically we dominated the possession %, that is all. Our attack is toothless. Our defence is shaky, and we give the ball away cheaply. Sunderland played like an away side, conceding possession, and territory, and looked to counter. We were clueless as how to over come them.

We looked like a team with out any idea of how to penetrate the opposition.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
We seem to be jinxed for the past couple of years, the goals we are conceding are combinations of very silly mistakes or very bad luck or both ... while at the other end we are creating plenty of chances but are seeing the woodwork keep us out time and time again.

We just lack some cutting edge. Boring I know because its been said so many times already but we are where we are and right now I will be happy if we can keep playing like this and if certain key players can stay injury free until January. We're playing a lot of good football, a little bit of luck and we would have won this 3-1 and then we would be saying a win against the Mancs and we are right back in it.

Its going to be a long hard road this season I believe.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
the game really did improve after the break. first 15 mins wernt too bad but goal knocked us out of stride. good signs regarding brendans ability to have an impact at half time. 2nd half so much improved. im trying to keep my feet on the ground regarding raheem but thoroughly composed and mature display. great player to watch with fantatic movement off the ball and such quick feet on it, shelvey improved as the game progressed too. pity about glens shot clipping the bar as it feels all this team needs is a win to move on.

btw can someone please get hodgson to take the captaimcy off gerrard...hasnt been the same player since. and while i welcome a changing of the guard we really need him

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Don't think that's a bad thing, actually. The sooner people accept the reality of our situation, the better. A proud and successful history doesn't give us the right to be a top team. We're still a great club of course, but apart from a couple of years under Rafa it's been quite a few years since I thought of us as a team up there with the best in terms of quality and mentality.

Well that wasn't good but, our striker scored and it showed that when he goes into the middle, he's better.

Don't start him on the wing, he'll become another Dirk.

Nothing else to say except.................

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Thought we did ok, passed the ball around nicely, dominated possession but lacked a cutting edge.

Surprized to see Sahin on the bench and two efforts hitting the woodwork is eerily familiar to last season.

Don't think that's a bad thing, actually. The sooner people accept the reality of our situation, the better. A proud and successful history doesn't give us the right to be a top team. We're still a great club of course, but apart from a couple of years under Rafa it's been quite a few years since I thought of us as a team up there with the best in terms of quality and mentality.
We were spoilt under Rafa in my opinion. Remember us being the top ranked team in Europe for a while. However, our expectations have changed a lot over the last few seasons. Whereas initially it used to be to at least challenge for the title it suddenly dropped down to finishing 4th place in Rafa's last season. More recently it's been to challenge for 4th place and I just don't want it to go down even further to at least challenge for Europa League qualification + a good cup run.

I know we can't compare ourselves to the top teams at the moment but if we do want to be a top team again we at least have to aspire to be a top team. And that's why we can't start lowering our standards even further.

northjet

TIA Reserve Team
Wasn't really impressed with the showing to tell the truth. I doubt we'll get more than 45 league goals - and we seem to be conceding too easily. Raheem seems to be the preferred outlet for the midfield, which is a bit worrying, as I don't think giving that kind of responsibility to a 17 year old , however promising , can bee seen as a positive. Tough times for Brendan ahead I think.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
We were spoilt under Rafa in my opinion. Remember us being the top ranked team in Europe for a while. However, our expectations have changed a lot over the last few seasons. Whereas initially it used to be to at least challenge for the title it suddenly dropped down to finishing 4th place in Rafa's last season. More recently it's been to challenge for 4th place and I just don't want it to go down even further to at least challenge for Europa League qualification + a good cup run.

I know we can't compare ourselves to the top teams at the moment but if we do want to be a top team again we at least have to aspire to be a top team. And that's why we can't start lowering our standards even further.
True that. I'm not saying we should just lay down, accept our situation and never expect to challenge for the title again; a title challenge should always be the target for us, long term or short term (in our current situation we're obviously talking long term). But, taking a sober approach and accepting we need to build it brick by brick for a few years could be a good approach. It's either that or losing the plot, going through severe depression because our bubble once again is bursting.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I have to say as a stand alone performance, away against a Martin O'Neill outfit, I thought that we did well. It is disappointing to see where we stand over all, and I dont want to finish 15 points off 4th.

The lack of an attacking player who is comfortable leading the line is one of the problems, I for one never called for Carroll to be that player but we do need someone....Dempsey not being signed was a blow, but we must find a way to work around said problem.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
The minute the transfer window ended with us cocking up royally in the striker department we were destined to struggle. It's not just incompetent; it's negligent. A total and utter balls up of epic proportions.

Apart from the period just after they scored I thought we did OK. Sunderland helped us in the second half by sitting back and allowing us to pass our way back in the game. They obviously thought we couldn't hurt them and neither did I. Thank god we have Sterling, but we can't rely on a 17 year old to unlock defences all season.

Defensively we are very vulnerable. It seems obvious to me that other teams just need to hit it in behind the full backs. I feel sorry for Agger and Skrtel given the ground they have to cover. Teams with real pace and width and who can pass (i.e. not Sunderland) are going to give us a serious bumming if we don't drop off just a little bit. I'm thinking of next weekend in particular.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
It's not as if a lack of bite in attack was any surprise; we are woefully short of forwards thanks to a collective balls-up in the transfer window by Ayre, BR and FSG, the latter of whom must take the lion's share of the blame. The way things are we'll have to walk the ball into the net to score goals (we aren't that good) as the chances are not being taken....again. Rodgers can only use the tools (no pun intended) that he has to implement his favoured system and basically he's trying to make the car function whilst missing several important engine components - it just won't work.

Nobody thought that he could reinvent the team overnight and I hope that the the majority of fans realise that the players who he inherited will take time to adjust to his way of playing; atm I'm hanging on to that thought. I just hope that he gets the time he needs to get us where we need to be, as FSG certainly have not done him any favours all things considered.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Why did Pepe leave his net completely open for a tap in when he couldn't even get a finger on a ball that never left the ground? Anyways, a point away is a good result. Get our first win vs Man U.

No idea what happend to my account.

RedJoe

TIA New Signing
I, like most, applaud BR's football philosophy. The talk of eventually trying to play in something like the style of Barca is something for which I am willing to be patient. A successful team, however, needs a 'system' but it also needs quality players. My worry is that I just can't see such a style being implemented by a team that has a large proportion of journeymen footballers. If you think about the Barca team, it is full of truly world class players, who can readily play within the system. BR is really paying for the waste of previous managers and is having to make do with far too many average players. The task of building a team that will play in his style is going to be a huge one.

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
No proven goalscorer, poacher, hatcher call him what ya want will cost us in the end, everybody and his dog can see that. Just lets all look at the top of the league, particularly the top 4, does anyone think we will get in there this season? No chance in hell. The top 4 is as it will be maybe with a few swaps here and there.
If today is anything to go by we are in for a really tough season dodging it out with mid table journey men teams like Sunderland, Stoke, Everton, etc..
Thats it really...so depressing already and after 4 games.
There are some positives on the form front, Glenda and Sterling, Allen and Shelvey so not all gloom...but we are seriously short of players

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Thought we did ok, passed the ball around nicely, dominated possession but lacked a cutting edge.

Surprized to see Sahin on the bench and two efforts hitting the woodwork is eerily familiar to last season.
Yes - the hitting the woodwork twice was similar to last year. When Henderson had three chances in a row and couldn't but them away.
But for sure this looks like a team that is in the process of changing individual and collective behaviors to where Rodgers wants them to be. It's just tough to watch the change play out in games that matter without yielding early results.

I do believe this is the right way forward though.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
deserved a win. poor in front of goal again. Sterling and Allen both had good games, Sterling MOTM. Progress is being made but so are defensive mistakes! Suarez needs to stop the cheating.

We will beat Utd.

We will.