• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Sunderland 1-1 Liverpool (15.09.12)

OhYaBeauty

Why did Pepe leave his net completely open for a tap in when he couldn't even get a finger on a ball that never left the ground? Anyways, a point away is a good result. Get our first win vs Man U.

No idea what happend to my account.
Mine died too.

Its awfully depressing to be 4 games in and stuck on two points, but I guess that's what happens when you don't have a goalscorer in the team. Aside from the obvious inability to put the white sphere thing between the big white sticks, we were good again today and just didn't get the points. I'm worried that we're settling for "deserving to win" as a good result. We should be winning games, be it with beautiful, fluid passing play or by Dirk Kuyt tap ins. Winning is the important thing. I hate to bring up Man U, but they win games that they don't control, that they don't "deserve to win" all the time (see: Southampton). We need to be able to do that. Their players aren't a class above ours, they simply have a winning mentality and put the ball in the net. Hopefully something clicks for us, and soon.

On a less pessimistic note, Sterling continues to impress. Don't know how we're supposed to manage our hopes for him when he goes out and makes defenders look silly as a 17 year old...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

(...)

a signpost of a top side is winning when playing badly. A signpost of mediocrity or worse is not getting 3 points when you are on top.

(...)
Yup, biggest problem for me too. Our lack of clinical finishing will cost us further this season, although we will get some wins soon if we can put in performances like this one on a consistant basis (that is, if we finally manage to cut out those silly soft goals we are conceding at the moment).

Let's see how this develops, but obviously, we are a long shot away from being a top side for the moment.[/background]

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mine died too.

Its awfully depressing to be 4 games in and stuck on two points, but I guess that's what happens when you don't have a goalscorer in the team. Aside from the obvious inability to put the white sphere thing between the big white sticks, we were good again today and just didn't get the points. I'm worried that we're settling for "deserving to win" as a good result. We should be winning games, be it with beautiful, fluid passing play or by Dirk Kuyt tap ins. Winning is the important thing. I hate to bring up Man U, but they win games that they don't control, that they don't "deserve to win" all the time (see: Southampton). We need to be able to do that. Their players aren't a class above ours, they simply have a winning mentality and put the ball in the net. Hopefully something clicks for us, and soon.

On a less pessimistic note, Sterling continues to impress. Don't know how we're supposed to manage our hopes for him when he goes out and makes defenders look silly as a 17 year old...
I understand this whole not having a goal scorer on the team debate, but it looks like Carroll will be out for a while plus he will take another month or so to get fit again.

So far we played at WBA who have been rolling teams + horrible referring. Man City home, Arsenal home and Sunderland away. We always play against big teams well (Man City game this year) plus its United. The Reading game one way or the other has to be a win. We can get on a roll here.

allybally00

TIA Squad Member
I think that we showed an improvement in the second half but if the owners ever needed proof that we need reinforcements this season has proved it so far.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I think Kelly at rightback and Glen at the left should be our first choice fullbacks. Kelly was really good, and Glen does not seem to have a problem going to the left.

OhYaBeauty

I understand this whole not having a goal scorer on the team debate, but it looks like Carroll will be out for a while plus he will take another month or so to get fit again.

So far we played at WBA who have been rolling teams + horrible referring. Man City home, Arsenal home and Sunderland away. We always play against big teams well (Man City game this year) plus its United. The Reading game one way or the other has to be a win. We can get on a roll here.
My point though is that we can't be making excuses. No matter what, we should not be losing to West Brom. In order to be a top four team, you have to win games you're expected to win. Teams like Man U and Man City win games like they're owed three points when they step out onto the field. When things don't go their way (they get a poor refereeing decisions, shots don't find the net) they still find a way to draw or squeak out a 1-0 victory. We need to be able to do that.

Sunderland, realistically, should be a victory. We can't make the argument that we controlled the game and say that's good enough. We have to win, because in the end, the points tally is all that matters.

So if none of that makes sense (and it might not, I was on a rant), my point is that we can't make excuses for why we didn't win. We need to win when confronted with adversity.

I think Kelly at rightback and Glen at the left should be our first choice fullbacks. Kelly was really good, and Glen does not seem to have a problem going to the left.
I hope they're our first choice, too. Rodgers' 4-3-3 relies heavily on energetic fullbacks who attack loads but still try to get back and defend. Kelly is defensively solid and offers more in attack than he gets credit for, and Johnson is a perfect fit for Rodgers' system as a fullback. Its just too bad one of them isn't left footed

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
My point though is that we can't be making excuses. No matter what, we should not be losing to West Brom. In order to be a top four team, you have to win games you're expected to win. Teams like Man U and Man City win games like they're owed three points when they step out onto the field. When things don't go their way (they get a poor refereeing decisions, shots don't find the net) they still find a way to draw or squeak out a 1-0 victory. We need to be able to do that.

Sunderland, realistically, should be a victory. We can't make the argument that we controlled the game and say that's good enough. We have to win, because in the end, the points tally is all that matters.

So if none of that makes sense (and it might not, I was on a rant), my point is that we can't make excuses for why we didn't win. We need to win when confronted with adversity.
I see what you're saying, but Man City just drew today vs Stoke and the Chavs drew QPR. A draw away to Sunderland is not the end of the world. The same glaring problems that happend in the game should be a concern though.

We all knew the start of the season was going to be difficult, but now is the time where we can string along a nice streak here, with a win over our bitter rivals to kick start things could just do the trick for us.

alaskared

Kloppite
Sterling is talented and works hard, he is part of what we have been missing, him and Suarez together are fantastic but we still need a Robbie Fowler score every time type of player.
We are playing pretty well, disappointing start.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I thought Swansea started slowly last season and they had the same problem which was scoring they had 2 draws and 2 losses they won the 5th one

5euros

TIA Legend
Thought we played very well and I actually enjoyed the game. Need to be more clinical but we made Sunderland look very ordinary and they are a tough enough side to face on their patch. We need to be very patient at the moment because the difficulty of this run of fixtures for a new manager, new players and a new system is scandalous. Fancy us to get our first win against the scum at the weekend.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
The performance was fine, some good displays from Raheem and Johnson the pick of the game. I still think if there was a tidy striker in the centre he'd have got 2 or 3 today. Borini may turn out well but he's not showing it yet. I hope we give Yesil, Assaidi and Suso a go midweek, see if they can step up and if the can give them a go against Utd or at least have them on the bench

NZred

The Red From NZ
Bloody hell, cheer up. It's always this kind of bullshit unless we win five nil lol

I thought we played some excellent football - the signs are there of a team coming together, we just need to be more clinical in the final third.

We dominated the match and Sunderland will come away relieved they got a point.

We've had a bastard fixture list to the start of the season - I'm certain come the new year we'll be riding high.
Mate 4 games. FOUR games, that's all we've won in 2012. It isn't a knee jerk to say we are a very real relegation threat. Like it or not, it can happen and at this threat, in this form we aren't playing Prem League Football next season.

Time to understand we are a very mediocre team.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Did you try to use the reset password link? That worked for me.
Ya, no dice. It didn't recognize me at all. Don't think you could have two members with the same exact name as it let me use my orginal name again when signing back up, thankfully. Just glad it's back up. The timing sucked, as it was hard to get proper coverage of finally JFT96.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
After dominating the game in first 20 mins, dissapointing to go down against the run of play. It was like the Arsenal game all over again. But these things will continue to happen if we lose concentration especially teams that counter attack fast. 2nd half we upped the game and unlucky not to take all 3 points.

We should be playing with the high tempo (as in 2nd half) during the 60 mins. in all our games. This way we pressure and break teams early instead of being suckerpunched and coming back late on to try and win games. 1st half IMO we were mediocre.

Man U in BPL next. If we do not improve our defence against the kings of counter attack football, we are gonna get creamed. Hope too see more young players like Sterling coming thru, Yesil or Morgan mayhaps and also looking forward to Assaidi's debut.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I have calmed down and this is what I think. The club needs to stop making excuses and the fans need to be realistic.

As much as I do not want to go back to Rafa's era but like what Rafa said, the shite starts from then moment we finished 2nd and the then-owners screwed us into a freefall where we finished 7th the following season. Now I am not saying that we should blame our current predicaments on the then-owners, thats why we should not make any excuses. The fact is we are not playing well and the club must acknolwedge that. Its ok to motivate the players but there are times where reality checks for the players are needed. But why I bring up the Rafa era then is because things did hit the bottom when we finished 7th then and we as fans, as much frustration this will bring, needs to be realistic. Things will not be alright just like that. Like anything in life, what hits the bottom will take TIME to rise up again. And this probably where, we as fans, need to be realistic and know that we are no longer a top playing club; we are a top top club of history but no longer one of the best when it comes to playing. We need to have this patience to let the right people work and inch out that progress every single season until one day we can be amongst the elites again. but until that day, like what I said: The club needs to stop making excuses and the fans need to be realistic.

OhYaBeauty

Mate 4 games. FOUR games, that's all we've won in 2012. It isn't a knee jerk to say we are a very real relegation threat. Like it or not, it can happen and at this threat, in this form we aren't playing Prem League Football next season.

Yes it is. No matter how pessimistic you are, you can't honestly believe those words. We're not converting good play into wins, sure, but calling us relegation fodder is something else entirely. Relax a bit...

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati

I won't say we're going to be relegated, but the idea that we've only won 4 times this calendar year makes me want to weep. I guess I just don't know where the goals will come from. Why oh why did we ever sell N'Gog?!?

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Hard to be over the moon when, we are told, this is our worst start to a season for over 100 years.
Sure it is early days and we can expect to improve, but we seem to have last years problem with the back of the net and we have unloaded 4 players who did know where it was and replaced them with one who has yet to show that he can find it on a consistent basis.

I, also,don't expect us to be relegated, but it could be a long season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
It looks like results-wise it's not going to be a lot of fun for a while, but performance-wise (individual defensive errors aside) it looks like it is coming together.

Speaking personally I'm going to try to refrain from criticisms of the team for a while and try to be patient (not easy), but I believe in Rodgers' tactics and I believe we'll get there. I think it's a case of short-term pain, long-term gain. Hopefully.

Unfortunately, as I said in the transfer window thread, it was obvious we badly needed a goalscorer. I just hope that need is addressed in January - whether that's a new signing, or bringing Carroll back, or whatever.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Borini is Brendan Rodgers player and he is going to be given time.

I had a feeling there was not going to be a replacement for Carroll. I find it unthinkable that a club of Liverpools stature could mess it up like that on transfer day.

If Borini needs time to settle, it wont happen with Carroll sitting on the bench or Dempsey sitting on the bench or whoever you pick.

Borini was always going to be given till at least Christmas to settle without any interference from the bench.

Thats my cynical take on things.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Borini is Brendan Rodgers player and he is going to be given time.

I had a feeling there was not going to be a replacement for Carroll. I find it unthinkable that a club of Liverpools stature could mess it up like that on transfer day.

If Borini needs time to settle, it wont happen with Carroll sitting on the bench or Dempsey sitting on the bench or whoever you pick.

Borini was always going to be given till at least Christmas to settle without any interference from the bench.

Thats my cynical take on things.
This is a pretty well covered topic but you're welcome to invent your own imagined chain of events if you wish.

Five Times

TIA New Signing
The most positive thing for me is that the players are genuinely trying to adapt to Rodger's system, it's nice to see us passing and most of all those little forward passes. So simple in concept...missing from our play since Rafa.

I'm not sure how much they are adapting really. Pretty inconsistent performances so far and yesterday our possession stats were not much better than Sunderland.

Personally I am getting a bit pissed off with Gerrard's performances. If he wasn't captain I would have dropped him to the bench a while back. He should have to earn his place in the team like everyone else and show a bit of leadership on the pitch.

Five Times

TIA New Signing
I'm not sure how much they are adapting really. Pretty inconsistent performances so far and yesterday our possession stats were not much better than Sunderland.

Personally I am getting a bit pissed off with Gerrard's performances. If he wasn't captain I would have dropped him to the bench a while back. He should have to earn his place in the team like everyone else and show a bit of leadership on the pitch.
Gerrard clearly cannot tear round the pitch for 90 minutes anymore...however who on the bench or in our squad would do a better job. The key word is adapting, it is not and will not work instantly Lucas's injury has really thrown a spanner in the works in regards to making the system work. As for the possesion it it a vast improvement on last season where we spent most of the time in our own half defending.

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
I didn't think we played well at all, an average performance. some goods things but then again we tend to play average first game back after the international break. I do believe we'll be up for it against the mancs and match the tempo that will be required for that game. I am getting worried though with the lack of strike power, it really is looking thin.