• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Sunderland 1-1 Liverpool (15.09.12)

skeelomano

TIA Youth Team
Wanted to see Sahin play but didnt get a chance to. Wasn't jonjo's day.

The verdict would be as always, we shud have taken the chances that came but we didnt. Let's hope we take our chances in the next game. Cant wait for the next match.

YNWA

red_scott

TIA Youth Team
Anyone else pissed that Rodgers took off Borini for Downing? I was fuming at the time, have cooled off now but still can't figure out why would you take off a striker for a wide player that can't create or score. With Sahin and Assaidi on the bench too Rodgers chooses to count on Downing? I was hoping that Kelly was coming off for Downing, so he could go to LB and switch Glen back to RB.

We also still aren't creating enough quality chances, still just a bunch of them which are really just half chances. Too similar to last season, personally I don't see too much that has changed so far other than we are so much worse defensively.
I thought exactly the same, Kelly off, Johnson moved back across and Downing on as left back. Or I would have changed Gerrard for Sahin for Henderson. I think Henderson would have done well here.

Can't quite make my mind up about Borini yet. On the one hand he is getting into he right places and should have scored twice on Saturday. Yet he didn't. Will it come good or is he just a little short of the required standard?

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I listened to the first half of the match on Talksport and Stan's reaction to the Suarez penalty claim was bordering on hysterical, he was screaming 'LUIS SUAREZ HAS JUST DIVED, HES CONNED THE REF, RED CARD, 3 MATCH BAN' I was literally dreading watching it as I was expecting Luis to fly through the air like Superman or throw himself into the box starshaped ala Ashley Young.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Anyone else pissed that Rodgers took off Borini for Downing? I was fuming at the time, have cooled off now but still can't figure out why would you take off a striker for a wide player that can't create or score. With Sahin and Assaidi on the bench too Rodgers chooses to count on Downing? I was hoping that Kelly was coming off for Downing, so he could go to LB and switch Glen back to RB.
The only reason I can think of is Downing's accurate delivery. But then, we do not have a Carroll in the box so..

Agree that perhaps Enrique coming on for Kelly would have made some sense, but maybe Rodgers did not want to risk losing the one point. The bench looks slightly better this game with Assaidi on it. Against Arsenal, we had like 4 defenders on the bench.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team

We also still aren't creating enough quality chances, still just a bunch of them which are really just half chances. Too similar to last season, personally I don't see too much that has changed so far other than we are so much worse defensively.
Borini wasnt having a good game, and he was fading out of the game fast...
Downing isnt better, but sometimes you need to change and mix things and pray for luck...
It was worth a gamble.

if he didnt took him off I am sure that many people here would have said "even our new manager dont do subs at time"

warrenb

Bottom line is if you want to win you have to score more than you opponent.

If your Goal keeper is piss poor, your defence shakey, 2/3rds of your midfield consistently give the ball away, and you lack creativity, composure and a finisher in attack, then you are struggling from the off. We are a VERY poor side. We have the worst attack in the PL bar none.

This is going to be a hard to watch season.
Apart from the 3 teams just promoted, Liverpool are the worst team in the league. Usually, teams over perform for a while when a new manager arrives.....if that's us over performing then we're heading for the championship!

coughing

Where's Steve Finnan?
Does anyone have a clue why Enrique is not playing regularly this year?

My only guess is that Brendan knows he will fade out ala last year so is only using him in crunch matches (Arsenal so far) and will expect him to start against United, but give him some match practice for christ sake, he burned out cause he played like 20 games in a row last year, he hasn't strung 3 appearances yet this year!

Glad that GlenJo is finally getting some recognition his deserves for being an awesome full back on both wings, although I would much rather him stick to the right side as his defending on the left is sometimes suspect.

And has anyone else noticed this, but Kelly doesn't seem to be as fit or aware as last season. I remember him having some stand out performances, but this year he doesn't seem as comfortable with the ball.

The Flying Pig

I am afraid that watching the current Liverpool team is like watching someone being battered to death with a balloon.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Does anyone have a clue why Enrique is not playing regularly this year?

My only guess is that Brendan knows he will fade out ala last year so is only using him in crunch matches (Arsenal so far) and will expect him to start against United, but give him some match practice for christ sake, he burned out cause he played like 20 games in a row last year, he hasn't strung 3 appearances yet this year!
Yeah he has been struggling with injuries so Rodgers might want to save him with the long term in mind.

And has anyone else noticed this, but Kelly doesn't seem to be as fit or aware as last season. I remember him having some stand out performances, but this year he doesn't seem as comfortable with the ball.
Kelly has been okay with the ball, but he is never one that likes to take on players by himself; he prefers to utilise his pace to get behind the opposition rather than try to play his way out of trouble. Johnson is different though; he loves to beat his man and cut inside to shoot. So yea, Kelly hasn't changed much, but he is no attacking full back.

blndcat

TIA Youth Team
Not sure about Kelly, maybe it is just a faulty perception but he seemed to be more attacking, less hesistant when he first broke into the team.