Post Match: Sunderland 1 Liverpool 3

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
3 away points, second in the league, bit nervier than it needed to be.

Take it away.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Didn't play as a team but Suarez and Sturridge were magnificent on the counter.

Toure was huge at the back.What a player he is. Skrtel and Sakho very good again.

Henderson was poor and Lucas was even worse, like playing with 10 men such was his contribution.

gb1986

Well, if playing like this has us in 2nd place, imagine where we'll be when we start playing well haha

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
Shaky second half , but a win is a win

Am I alone in thinking that Henderson was useless on the wing? his crosses are not good enough and he is afraid of taking his man

RedSeven

On the one road
Mascot88 said:
Have a feeling Toure will go down as one of the best freebies we've had.
Just goes to show not all free transfers are bad

WrongIslander

If only we'd have managed to get Diego Costa to play in a front three with Suarez and Sturridge, that would have been unstoppable this season.

R

RedRiot

Great result, didn't ever really control the game, but it makes a big difference when your forwards perform and today they did. Top two candidates for MOTM, followed by Kolo. Need to get a right back into the team though as we aren't particularly good in possession in the 3-5-2. Should have been 3-0 as Mignolet ballsed up a pretty standard save from a fairly tame shot, but he was very good otherwise as he faced a lot of action in front of his goal. Great to be 2nd,if we can start holding onto the ball more, we really will be a top contender.

Great to see us improve as the 2nd half wore on. Possibly down to them tiring as they worked very hard throughout the match. Nevertheless, a good sign.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
Still some work to do .......

......but a lot of things to be pleased with:

1. We are winning games and some times you have to win ugly.
2. The links between Suarez and Sturridge were tasty.....can't wait to See Coutinho back with them.
3. We are winning with a back line that lacks Johnson and Dagger, and we are one week closer to their return.
4. We are at the top of the table and keeping pace at the front....while we are missing key players.
5. 3 points.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mascot88 said:
Oh please. Lucas was fine - he had a great first 60 and, even though he tailed off a bit, he looked a lot sharper in the second than he has for a while.
Safe to say I disagree. He definitely wasn't 'great' - oh please.

dt_ynwa

TIA Youth Team
Just the result we needed albeit with a very poor passing game for the most part. Excellent work from Sturridge and Suarez on the break though, they're great together! Sakho didn't put a foot wrong all game, very assured in possession and living up to his reputation. I think we definitely have a gem of a player here, beast!

Don't really feel like going into the negatives so, 2nd in the league, Suarez looks like he was never gone, and we have the returns of Coutinho and Johnson to look forward to which will surely help us improve. Next up, Palace at home!

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I particularly enjoyed the second half performance after the Sunderland goal when we seemed to react by keeping the ball much better, closing down and intercepting the ball with more urgency and passing very well and in the end got a much deserved third goal. Much better than sitting back in 2 lines of 4 for 45 minutes.

And of course, it's great to have him back.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Happy with the game in general. The performance was both good and bad, in patches. Lucas missing the next game was deserved. For those who rate him, it may be a blessing in disguise - Rodgers will be forced to change up his central midfield pairing and hopefully find a better balance in there. Not sure what it means for the 3 at the back though.

Rodgers might be on to something with 3 at the back. A collection of central defenders, two relatively immobile starting midfielders, hardworking wide players in Enrique, Johnson, Cissokho, Kelly and Henderson. To add to that solid base, three class attackers with the ability to play direct penetrative passes and finish moves off. It may be completely against his so called "philosophy" - which detractors tend to overemphasize - but needs must. I think this is a good way to make use of the players we have. We'll just have to wait and see if he perseveres with this method without Lucas/Gerrard, and judge based on the results he gets.

Feel sorry for Sunderland, hope they beat the Mancs next game. They deserve it :D

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
We reacted well to the Sunderland goal by playing triangles deep in our half and giving the fans heart attacks. We have lost Lucas for the palace game, so no worries there but we need to get creating better balls from midfield. Why was Moses in mf and Jordan wasted on the wing? Sometimes, the gaffer does these selections and sets up the team unbalanced.

Also need to practice both defending corners and getting decent balls into the box. Beating the first man would be a good start.

As far as i am concerned, dogshit game that earned us three points and we need to up our game and be switched on in the second half because better teams will exploit us.

MOTM between Sturridge and Mignolet.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Still lots of work to be done to sort out our system but a good 3 points and second top of the league....so glad not to be feeling disappointed for the next couple of days.

Just think how good we would be if we had two players on the pitch that kept Henderson and Lucas on the bench.

Great performance from the front two. much better game from Daniel up front and great to have Luis back.....oh and a second half goal....get in!!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
3 points. nothing more important. We tend to take it easy in the 2nd half. Again average performance by henderson, moses. Front 3 of coutinho,suarez,sturridge will be freaking brilliant. And mignolet, boy he is one heck of a keeper, needs to improve his aerial presence. Well played lads, YNWA.

HAWKVOL

Toure is first name on the team sheet for me.....EVERY Week. Gerrard still seems the weak link, thought Lucas was very strong today.

Yes....Henderson lacks punch from the wing but is putting in the work we need. I like the team better with him moved inside in the later minutes. Henderson is a little too casual on the edge in defense as well....lets too many clean balls come in.

We are definitely playing a counter attack game now.....not as pretty to watch but assume thinks we have enough punch up front to gash teams on the counter and dig in for wins.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
I'm not usually the biggest critic of Rodgers but this was a really poor performance for us, and I don't want to let 3 points gloss over that.

It's one thing to accept results when we're playing well, but our disorganization and inability to complete simple tasks (like hold on to the ball) is really troubling. As I mentioned in the match thread, it made no sense to me why Henderson was put out wide and Moses central. I think that was relatively clear to everyone that Henderson was largely ineffective out wide and Moses didn't help us take control of the game when we needed to. Both could've been much better used in the reverse positions.

Glad we switch to 4 at the back, but took far too long. If Rodgers didn't have confidence in Wisdom covering that position, we should've brought in cover. At the very least, I don't see why an injury should result in changing our back line, which is arguably the most important area NOT to change mid-season (especially since we hadn't conceded in our first 3 league games with 4 at the back). I'm not opposed to 3 at the back, and I would love to have a team that can handle both, but let's not change our defensive formation simply due to the personnel available.

As many have mentioned Gerrard and Lucas are very immobile at the back, but the 3-5-2 dictates that they need to shift out wide more which clearly isn't something they are suited to doing. Again, if Henderson is central I don't think this is as big of a problem, but when Moses was there (and generally pushing forward and not doing as much defensive work) it becomes a big issue.

On a positive note, we probably have the best strike partnership this season and I think if we can solidify our midfield/defense they'll win a number of games for us. Once Coutinho & Johnson return I hope we see more of a 4-3-1-2 with Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas covering the bulk of the midfield work and freeing up Coutinho to feed Suarez and Sturridge.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
ILLOK said:
Safe to say I disagree. He definitely wasn't 'great' - oh please.
No he wasn't and neither was Gerrard.

Anyway up until their goal we were dreadful despite the two goal advantage. After we conceded it was like a switch was flipped, we pushed up, passing the ball much better and closing them down when defending. Afterwards they were chasing shadows for the most part.

It was a much needed victory and an improved second half performance with a goal no less! Still far from convincing but a step in the right direction.

Sturridge and Toure best players on the pitch by a mile.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Having a world class strike pairing can mask myriad problems. Up to a point

Just when injures occur then these results can start going in to reverse playing that way. Gerrard is still creating chances but ultimately we need a more athletic ball winner in there. Seen enough now, Lucas just presently isn't up to the pace of it

Also feel our defence isn't entirely comfortable with what they are being asked to do. Do feel my suspicions that Rodgers is not a good defensive coach naturally speaking are to a degree being borne out

But having a on form and sharp Suarez and Sturridge up top can bail you out even on days when many players just aren't up to speed. Tough the way we are playing this season is still a bit too England like at the moment. Not really looking forward to coming up against a team with strong athletic midfielders like a spurs, a Man city etc. needs work

Wins away from home you do take regardless of performance but it was still as a collective a bit of a bunch of strangers

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
oh my god... we scored i the second half.... what will the press say now? what about our record till now(not scoring the the second half)
HE IS BACK!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
HAWKVOL said:
Toure is first name on the team sheet for me.....EVERY Week. Gerrard still seems the weak link, thought Lucas was very strong today.

Yes....Henderson lacks punch from the wing but is putting in the work we need. I like the team better with him moved inside in the later minutes. Henderson is a little too casual on the edge in defense as well....lets too many clean balls come in.

We are definitely playing a counter attack game now.....not as pretty to watch but assume thinks we have enough punch up front to gash teams on the counter and dig in for wins.
Think you must have missed our goals then

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
RichLFC said:
Also feel our defence isn't entirely comfortable with what they are being asked to do. Do feel my suspicions that Rodgers is not a good defensive coach naturally speaking are to a degree being borne out
It's got nothing to do with being a defensive coach or not, it's to do with what the players are being asked to do...ball at feet defenders are few and far between - with practise they'll get better. The 3 at the back formation plays to our squad strengths - good to see the manager has realised that. Considering it was only our second game of playing this formation - good defensive performance.