Post Match: Sunderland 1 Liverpool 3

Johnny

I am still in shock how BR didn't strengthen the midefield in the summer, dont tell me he bought luis alberto because that lad wont do a thing for s.. we need a new DM/ box to box midfielder.. pains me to ay it but gerrard is past it.

January cant come quick enough and hopefully we can buy a quality midfielder. Our problem in the squad is the midefield, we nee a proper winder too Konoplyanka pleaseeeeee.

Ibe should be ahead of Stering in the pecking order though.

VictoryInSight

Tactical Genius... at least on Football Manager
artanisknarf said:
Very nice performance and an even better result.
Some played good, and most even better. No criticism here.
Bring on Palace.
Drop Hendo in for suspended Lucas and give Sterling a start. No other changes.
There's no doubt that Hendo should be playing in the middle in the next game. He wasn't very good out on the right flank - his crosses weren't threatening and did not make many attempts to beat Colback.

If we continue to play 3-5-2, I think Moses should play right wing-back rather than Sterling. Luis Alberto should be given a chance against Crystal Palace and play in behind SAS.

pagasp

Sterling defo doesn't look the same player since he signed his contract, but he's had a few personal issues and is only a kid so no real worries there. Ibe looked very good in pre-season at times.

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
I know when Coutinho comes back we will have better attacking options and a frightful 1st team, but it's desperate to think we only have Sterling and Aspas really to give us attacking options from the bench.
Borini does need game time but I don't know if we can afford the luxury of loaning him out, I'd have him instead of Aspas
all day long but that's not going to change so we are left waiting again until January to strengthen our options for both upfront and midfield.
I just hope the current squad can cope til then.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Rogers: "We've changed the structure of our team a bit to allow us to pass it better - we've still got a lot of work to do - but also to fit in with the type of players that we have.".

Seems an honest assessment.
A lot of people have been calling for a 3-4-1-2 for quite a while. Took him some time to figure it out on his own.

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
Glad for the 3 points, and good to see some of the players getting good reviews.

Interesting to see the debates on Lucas, Henderson, and Gerrard.

One final point: Sakho seems a really good physical player, and he passed the ball well today. BUT, did anyone else notice how extremely left footed he is? I don't mean left footed like Agger or Enrique, the poor man contorts his body to get his left foot on it and almost refuses to use his right. Not a big deal, but it will eventually lead to a mistake.

Libero

Great result, loving the effectiveness on the counter. Thought it was a strange decision to take moses out of the game for sterling. Moses i think played quite well through the middle and caused some problems on the break running at defenders. Henderson was poor and I would have made the straight swap for sterling. Paid off in the end I guess.

Sahko for me was an absolute beast and I think people are overlooking his performance in favour of Toure (who was also immense). Sahko absolutely dominated everything that came his way, future leader for me and a great buy. At one stage towards the end he out jumped alitidore to win a header I actually felt sympathy for him such was Sahkos dominance.

Great to have Suarez back, but Studge easily MOM and our player of the season thus far.

Union4LFC

Great performance, but I'm still not sold on the 3-4-1-2 or whatever it was.

Now, first let me just say, in the league this year, there is a ton of parity. 70-80% of the teams are legitimate threats to win any single game. Sunderland is no different. They have the talent to be far better than bottom of the table. So I didn't expect LFC to dominate from start to finish.

That said, this formation has so far turned Liverpool into a counter attack team. The first 30-40 minutes had 7 LFC players behind the ball, which just invited Sunderland to come in. A lot of nervy moments were the result. And there was no real outlet for Liverpool once Sunderland lost possession. Lucas and Gerrard were almost back in line with the back 3, and so Henderson and Enrique - playing as advanced FBs - had few options to pass to outside of Moses, who to his credit played a great game.

My hope is that when Johnson, Cissokho, Allen and Coutinho come back, BR goes back to the more traditional 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Also - Gerrard is playing subpar so far this season. Which is fair given his age and the miles on his legs. Just saying - he might need a rest every now and again.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Redbelly said:
Glad for the 3 points, and good to see some of the players getting good reviews.

Interesting to see the debates on Lucas, Henderson, and Gerrard.

One final point: Sakho seems a really good physical player, and he passed the ball well today. BUT, did anyone else notice how extremely left footed he is? I don't mean left footed like Agger or Enrique, the poor man contorts his body to get his left foot on it and almost refuses to use his right. Not a big deal, but it will eventually lead to a mistake.
Sakho had a very good game today. But I also did notice the uncanny preference for the left foot. Slight concern but I'm sure they will work with him on that. Anyway, one of the better players today.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Borini's Knife said:
Great result, loving the effectiveness on the counter. Thought it was a strange decision to take moses out of the game for sterling. Moses i think played quite well through the middle and caused some problems on the break running at defenders. Henderson was poor and I would have made the straight swap for sterling. Paid off in the end I guess.

Sahko for me was an absolute beast and I think people are overlooking his performance in favour of Toure (who was also immense). Sahko absolutely dominated everything that came his way, future leader for me and a great buy. At one stage towards the end he out jumped alitidore to win a header I actually felt sympathy for him such was Sahkos dominance.

Great to have Suarez back, but Studge easily MOM and our player of the season thus far.
Was a bit of a strange one for me as well to take Moses off. Think he had his best game so far for us. Involved in a lot and always looked dangerous. Definitely Sturridge as MOTM. And Sakho will be a long term main stay at CB. Guaranteed!

Canuck33

Banned Users
Union4LFC said:
Great performance, but I'm still not sold on the 3-4-1-2 or whatever it was.

Now, first let me just say, in the league this year, there is a ton of parity. 70-80% of the teams are legitimate threats to win any single game. Sunderland is no different. They have the talent to be far better than bottom of the table. So I didn't expect LFC to dominate from start to finish.

That said, this formation has so far turned Liverpool into a counter attack team. The first 30-40 minutes had 7 LFC players behind the ball, which just invited Sunderland to come in. A lot of nervy moments were the result. And there was no real outlet for Liverpool once Sunderland lost possession. Lucas and Gerrard were almost back in line with the back 3, and so Henderson and Enrique - playing as advanced FBs - had few options to pass to outside of Moses, who to his credit played a great game.

My hope is that when Johnson, Cissokho, Allen and Coutinho come back, BR goes back to the more traditional 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Also - Gerrard is playing subpar so far this season. Which is fair given his age and the miles on his legs. Just saying - he might need a rest every now and again.
3-4-1-2 will be most likely the formation until the end of the year, even with everyone back and fit. We have plenty of CBs, little in midfield and need to play both Sturridge and Suarez up front. Really a no-brainer. In January, if we can strengthen in midfield, we could go back to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. But that would still leave us with the predicament up front.

With the injured lads back and on current form this is the best we can do, IMO.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Hope this point hasn't already been raised, but do any of you think that if we stick with the 3-4-1-2 for an extended period of time, Rodgers might throw in Cissokho for Enrique? And no, I'm not completely rejecting him altogether, but I don't believe Enrique has exactly done enough to lock down that position.

Canuck33

Banned Users
kingoftown said:
Hope this point hasn't already been raised, but do any of you think that if we stick with the 3-4-1-2 for an extended period of time, Rodgers might throw in Cissokho for Enrique? And no, I'm not completely rejecting him altogether, but I don't believe Enrique has exactly done enough to lock down that position.
I'm sure Cissokho will give Enrique a run for his money. Be that in a 3-4-1-2 or any other formation.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Mascot88 said:
That's the point right there.

People are expecting to go to the stadium of light, rocking after sacking a hated manager, and be the best team for ninety minutes of football - to not give Sunderland a sniff of the ball. Sorry, but that just isn't a realistic way to approach a game of football, and if that's what you're expecting then you are always going to be left disappointed.

It isn't like that for any side, and it wasn't like that for us in the seventies and eighties.

I remember coming here after thumping Newcastle 0 - 6 and I swear there was someone moaning about the 15minutes that the Geordies looked a bit menacing after the break.

Sunderland had spells of the game when they were very much the better side. That's normal and very much to be expected. But we contained them and were the better side overall - good value for the three points.

Bottom line is...

1) we won

2) the performance was exactly what you'd expect going away from home to side under pressure

3) if you can't enjoy a 3 - 1 victory away from home, I really don't know why you're interested in football.
I think you misunderstand me. I didn't ask if we dominated for 90 minutes, I asked if people were satisfied with our performance over the span of the match. Personally, I do not think it was good enough and I think there are a number of people here who would agree with me.

Positives? We won, and you can never complain about a result. However, if we perform like that throughout the entire season I will guarantee you we won't make top 4. Like it or not, Sunderland haven't won a game all season so we shouldn't be too excited over grinding out a result against the side most widely tipped to be relegated this season. A more disciplined team like Swansea or Southampton (cough cough) would've taken us to the cleaners today.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Still very disjointed performance overall, a better team could have possibly beaten us there yesterday. Although three points and three goals away from home is the big positives. The back three were really good and agger will have to bide his time to get back in.

We are missing glen johnson big time and enrique on the left is frustrating also. Good to see the front two linking ip so well but moses in the hole isnt working for me, badly need our no 10 back and playing well.

Second in the league is where its at, we have started well without playing well and whole thats a bit worrying its also encouraging. Hope we click on saturday and punish crystal palace with the complete team performance.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
Good win. 3 Points!! Our last win, against Manure seemed so long long ago. Three poor results in between. And now a win to end the month.

Sunderland, for a team which is at the bottom of the table, really were in the game until Suarez's second goal. Kudos to them. I thought, after the 2nd goal, the game will peter out, but boy, did they fight back? And despite the margin, I thought Liverpool were poor for large parts of the game, especially just before and after the half time. But we hung on and won comfortably in the end.

My concern is, beyond the 1st team, we really are a nothing team. OK, Agger, Glen, Couti & Allen are due to be back soon. But Alberto & Aspas, the recent purchases, seem to offer little. Sterling is not yet a finished product and there is no one else.

Sturridge was great today whilst Suarez, my word, what a difference he makes!! But my MOM is Toure - What a performance for a 30+ guy who was virtually written off by Citeh? There is sufficient fire in his belly and fuel in the tank not just to perform but to inspire others. Sakho was good, but somehow, he looks a little clumsy / ungainly to me whenever in possession. Enrique was good whilst Skrtel was OK. Gerrard was off and on, but look how he released Sturridge for the second goal? Lucas is nowhere near what he was a couple of seasons back. Time to look at a replacement here? Mosses was OK but looks too lightweight for me.

Second in the table with a home game against C Palace to follow. Cant ask for more.

TheSweetSilverSong

kipland007 said:
I think you misunderstand me. I didn't ask if we dominated for 90 minutes, I asked if people were satisfied with our performance over the span of the match. Personally, I do not think it was good enough and I think there are a number of people here who would agree with me.

Positives? We won, and you can never complain about a result. However, if we perform like that throughout the entire season I will guarantee you we won't make top 4. Like it or not, Sunderland haven't won a game all season so we shouldn't be too excited over grinding out a result against the side most widely tipped to be relegated this season. A more disciplined team like Swansea or Southampton (cough cough) would've taken us to the cleaners today.
I think the bolded text is the main thing here. Why would you assume we may perform like that throughout the entire season?
The only logical explanation I could think of would be that you assume we will miss the players we are missing throughout the season, and thus will need to use alternative formations, players out of their natural positions, etc. all year.

But I don't think that's what you assume. So what is it? Because in the same logic, if Manchester Utd performs like they did on Saturday all season, they will get relegated. Same with City. Wouldn't put my hand on fire with Chelsea either.

Point is, they won't perform like that all season, and neither will we. All those teams are teams that will improve through the season, and same goes for us, plus the factor that with key players returning and our natural way to approach games is possible.

Meanwhile, if we get the results, no matter how ugly or easy, it's fantastic. Enjoy it. If, when Johnson, Agger and Coutinho return, we play similar and don't get results, you might have a point in worrying after games like these.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I guess this team will be set up to peak at certain times in the season looking at the fixtures, they haven't really got out of second gear yet and yet find ourselves ahead of all but one, I can only take postives from that, Southampton being the only negative.

sunburst

TIA Youth Team
Sakho has worried me so far this season, he had a very nervy start, but thought he did brilliantly yesterday :)

rab

WrongIslander said:
Once again showing why we needed to buy defensive midfield cover. I'm just glad we're missing Lucas against a side we should really beat with or without his help, that said you never know and that Jedinak is no mug in the middle.

Gerrard needs a rest sooner rather than later also.
You have to wonder what's happening with Gerrard. He played pretty much every minute of our league campaign last year and never once looked as jaded as he has the past few games. You could say it's his age catching up with him but we're only seven games into the season and he looks like he's running on fumes already.

I think when Allen, Johnson and Coutinho are back we'll see a return to 4-2-3-1 with Allen or Hendo in next to Lucas and Coutinho ahead of them to give Gerrard a break. Home games against the likes of Palace would be the ideal for Gerrard to start on the bench but with Lucas suspended and no sign of Allen returning I guess he'll have to play.

However we have to question why he seems to be lacking energy so early in the season and if it's a sign of his natural decline due to age we need to manage his game time better so he's fit and fresh for the biggest games.

slufsar

i dont know where to put this, but i noticed we play city and chelsea away in space of 2 days. thrusday and saturday. like, why? why has this happened? it makes it very hard for us and its completely unnecessary. not to mention the risk it involved for the players having to play two tough games with high intensity in the space of two days in the christmas cold.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
slufsar said:
i dont know where to put this, but i noticed we play city and chelsea away in space of 2 days. thrusday and saturday. like, why? why has this happened? it makes it very hard for us and its completely unnecessary. not to mention the risk it involved for the players having to play two tough games with high intensity in the space of two days in the christmas cold.
Are you sure - I would have thought one would have been moved a day or so for TV, surely...

rab

costared said:
Sorry Rab but surely Lucas has to go before Gerrard.
To be replaced by which other defensive midfielder in our squad?

How will replacing Lucas address the issue with Gerrard's lethargy so early in the season? His game time needs to be managed and that means benching him once in a while. The fact that Allen and Henderson are both better playing that Gerrard role as opposed to the Lucas role would also suggest that if we want to mix up the centre of midfield to find a better balance then finding a partner that works better with Lucas would be easier than finding a partner that works better with Gerrard given our squad as it stands.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
It's quite obvious that until Gerrard steps down we will see the team set up this way with the onus on direct attacks. I'm not knocking it or suggesting we sacrifice Stevie but I can't stand people knocking BR for wanting to get the most put of Stevie while he still can.

He bought Allen to play his role but Stevie made it his own. He lacks the mobility and legs to link play and instead gets the ball deeper and is more effective playing the diagonal ball.

The 5-3-1-2 is perfect for that as it gives Stevie more options in wide positions. It offers us more options on the counter and will stretch teams; overloading one side but having the option on the other to cause problems. While we have a player who excels at switching flanks. We can see that in both of Suarez's goals.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
rab said:
To be replaced by which other defensive midfielder in our squad?

How will replacing Lucas address the issue with Gerrard's lethargy so early in the season? His game time needs to be managed and that means benching him once in a while. The fact that Allen and Henderson are both better playing that Gerrard role as opposed to the Lucas role would also suggest that if we want to mix up the centre of midfield to find a better balance then finding a partner that works better with Lucas would be easier than finding a partner that works better with Gerrard given our squad as it stands.
I'd go back to 4-3-3 against palace. Toure replacing Lucas and give Stevie 60 mins in the hole before replacing him with Moses or Alberto. Let Allen or Henderson play where Stevie does.

koptician

We'll go again!
rab said:
You have to wonder what's happening with Gerrard. He played pretty much every minute of our league campaign last year and never once looked as jaded as he has the past few games. You could say it's his age catching up with him but we're only seven games into the season and he looks like he's running on fumes already.
I can only imagine he's carrying a long-term knock or some sort of viral illness. It's shocking how much his fitness has dropped