Post Match: Sunderland 1 Liverpool 3

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Moderator
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
26,460
mattyhurst said:
It might snow?

Will probably move about due to television, won't be that beneficial regardless.
Yes, I actually expect that one to get shifted to Sunday. There is always one 'premium' match moved to Sunday (Everton v. Chelsea) plus one other to fulfill the broadcast contract - last year it happened to be our away fixture with QPR.
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
7,270
It was a great result yesterday against a dangerous opponent. I think we all know that Sunderland are better than their league position suggests, and a new manager always tends to get a positive response from players.

We defended well and although S'land had a lot of shots on goal, Mignolet only had to make 3-4 big saves and made the error for the goal we conceded. I don't think at any point we were in major trouble, however when we come to defend corners I'm always a bit concerned as there still seems to be a bit of a problem with man marking.

The thing I was dissapointed with most was our set pieces, particularly corners. We tried to get the ball to the edge of the box a few times and the deliveries just weren't good enough.

Suarez and Sturridge's link up play is exciting. Henderson isn't great at RWB - the sooner Kelly and Johnson are fit the better. Also looking forward to seeing Cissokho fit again as I think he'll be good at LWB.

All in all, 3 points away from home, 2nd in the league, and we're yet to win a game convincingly this season. There are a lot on here moaning about our performances, but we've seen the likes of United rack title after title up through winning games 1-0 and toughing it out. We're six games into the season and are yet to have our best 11 out on the pitch together.

Once it all clicks into place we will be playing better and hopefully staying in or around the top 4 in January. Any additions can be brought in then and we can push for that sought after Top 4 place and a slot in the CL for next season.
 

HAWKVOL

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
56
LeoT said:
I think Enrique has been absolutely solid so far this season.
He's done more than enough to lock the left back position down.
The man is strong as an ox, he's quick so he recovers possesion very often, he can dribble and cross well.
I can not remember him losing his battle with an opposing winger accross a whole game.
He can pass it long or short, and protects the ball well.

On the down side, his shooting is not all that accurate, and he is very left footed (probably even more left footed than Sakho).

There are very few left backs in the premiership with all of his attributes.
It will be intresting to see if Cissokho will be any kind of threat to him when he's back, let alone replacement.

Having said that, if Cissokho was an improvement on Enrique then we would be in a really strong place.
I don't understand all the Enrique bashing on this site. I know he looks a bone head once in a while, but his overall play is solid. Agree with everything you said above.
 

sanjing07

New Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
12
Let's face it guys, Gerrard is getting any younger. BR intentionally brings his position back to CM so that he need not run from box to box like what he did when Torres was around. If he is fielded that way, he will almost for sure, be injured very often. Right now, in this wave of upturn, BR has to rely on SG on leadership and inspiration. He knows the importance of Leadership in the team, which is also why he turns to Kolo Toure once he knew he was available. Though it may not be entirely comfortable at it, but his tackling and long pass will certainly prolong his career in LFC.

I have to say I am surprised by some of the guys are complaining about the performance. Firstly, Sunderland just sacked their manager. Everyone knows that once a change of manager happens, the team suddenly becomes more effective and played better, and yesterday's match was certainly the case. To face a team like that, and win 3-1 away while NOT playing well? I think it is a good result, though not great. At the end of the day, it is the results that matters and this season has witnessed some grinding results for us. Last season, we were dominating matches for 60% of the matches but dropping points. So which would you rather have if you can only choose one? I rather have the result.
 

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
1,012
koptician said:
Jamie carragher: Arsenal have got the best midfield in the league, Liverpool have got 2 of the best strikers in the league, Chelsea have got too many big names in der team which can be a problem at times but they are strong!!!

Anchor: wat about United?

Jamie: Well City is above them that says it all.....

Gary Neville: But City lost to Villa and Cardiff as well!

Jamie: i meant Hull city!!
Did you make that up? That's hilarious and possibly true.
 

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Joined
Jul 1, 2010
Messages
2,896
rab said:
Where did I say we need to get rid? I said we need to manage his game time to get the best out of him in our biggest and toughest games. Don't go twisting my words.
You didn't say it, but he made the "point" for you. So many people have claimed to have "got" the same "point". My deepest sympathies mate, you have probably been labelled an "anti-X" or "pro-Y" by people who misinterpret your words. Join the club...

Back on topic, I agree with the weakness in midfield being "energy", or mobility. I also concur that Lucas is our only entirely defensive-minded midfielder, and I absolutely rate what he brings to the team, but within the 3-4-1-2 do you think we have to have a dedicated DM? I think having Gerrard sitting in front of the back 3 in this setup should be enough cover, as long as his midfield partner also has the recovery pace and work rate. Lucas doesn't have this, but Henderson has it in abundance, along with the ability to play the safe pass and run forward to chip in with a few goals. If we play Gerrard-Henderson in midfield, we lose a bit of defensive ability (which the extra defender makes up for), gain a boatload of energy, while still keeping Gerrard's ability to launch direct counterattacks from deep. Playing Lucas-Henderson strengthens us defensively but takes away a lot of attacking impetus in the form of pin-point long balls that our system is thriving on - one could go on to argue that we would then allow opponents to sustain pressure on our defense.

Does that make sense? Do you think Gerrard-Henderson perhaps gives us a better balance in midfield given our 3-4-1-2 set up?
 

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,065
alphakilo said:
Where did I say we need to get rid? I said we need to manage his game time to get the best out of him in our biggest and toughest games. Don't go twisting my words.



You didn't say it, but he made the "point" for you. So many people have claimed to have "got" the same "point". My deepest sympathies mate, you have probably been labelled an "anti-X" or "pro-Y" by people who misinterpret your words. Join the club...

Back on topic, I agree with the weakness in midfield being "energy", or mobility. I also concur that Lucas is our only entirely defensive-minded midfielder, and I absolutely rate what he brings to the team, but within the 3-4-1-2 do you think we have to have a dedicated DM? I think having Gerrard sitting in front of the back 3 in this setup should be enough cover, as long as his midfield partner also has the recovery pace and work rate. Lucas doesn't have this, but Henderson has it in abundance, along with the ability to play the safe pass and run forward to chip in with a few goals. If we play Gerrard-Henderson in midfield, we lose a bit of defensive ability (which the extra defender makes up for), gain a boatload of energy, while still keeping Gerrard's ability to launch direct counterattacks from deep. Playing Lucas-Henderson strengthens us defensively but takes away a lot of attacking impetus in the form of pin-point long balls that our system is thriving on - one could go on to argue that we would then allow opponents to sustain pressure on our defense.

Does that make sense? Do you think Gerrard-Henderson perhaps gives us a better balance in midfield given our 3-4-1-2 set up?
Henderson would add to our attack as he can get up and down rather than two holding there will be one.
 

Drubas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
1,116
Gerrard: I think this was his best game. When they tried to keep the team compact and push us towards the right side in the build up, Gerrard was spot on with all crosses. His long play was one of they key elements to breaking down their defense. It's due to players like Gerrard that it pays off for Enrique to make a run down his side even if he doesn't get the ball. It's due to Gerrard that when Sturridge goes wide out the right the defence has to follow those extra meters. On top of that, he actually got a few well timed offensive runs in.

Henderson: I actually think that Downing did just as good as a right winger as Henderson. And they have the same weakness: their inability to deliver anything of value into the box.

Moses: Was great at falling deep, getting the ball, turning around and move the ball up the pitch. I was surprised that he was the man to solve this puzzle,

Enrique: My man of the match. The best attacking defender in the League, when he's got a good day.
 

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
999
One thing I particularly enjoyed was the manner in which Sturridge set up Suarez's goals.

He would likely have been justified to fire a shot at goal on both occasions as he could probably see a patch of open net from where he was positioned. On both occasions however, when he saw his strike-partner moving into a better position, he made two great passes that resulted in goals.

Many people have accused Sturridge of being selfish, and rightly so.

Fair enough, you do want your strikers to be a little selfish as I believe it shows that they're accepting responsibility for winning the game. Too much is often just too much though.

He certainly wasn't selfish on those two occasions and it got me thinking: is it possible that he hasn't really trusted anybody enough to push the ball to them when we're in our opposition's box? He surely knows that Suarez's skill and athleticism will improve the odds of the ball thwacking into the back of the net and seems quite happy to tee Luis up.

I suppose, to a certain degree, he might even be in awe of Suarez and that may be why he's so willing to share the ball?

Now, I do realise that the accusations of selfishness have been a cloud which have cast a shadow over his future for a while- well before he moved to Merseyside in fact. But, that may just prove my point.

After all, Torres could not have inspired much confidence in Daniel.



P.S. To be honest, I don't know how often Sturridge and Torres played together. It was simply an attempt to illustrate my point.
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,153
Poor Scouser Tommy said:
Many people have accused Sturridge of being selfish, and rightly so.
I think a lot of this comes down to the pressure if feeling that every appearance had to produce something spectacular, or he'd be bombed out.

Daniel is thriving after being made part of the first team and knowing that his position is if he passes the ball rather than takes on the shot
 

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
2,056
Regularly last season our back four fell apart in physical battles. Yesterday we dominated a massive block of a player, who may not be mobile but would previously have given us nightmares.

However we don't press their defensive midfielders enough and give them alot of time and space on the ball to pick passes and shoot from distance - take a look at the goal. Hopefully Coutinho and Suarez can help with that.


If sturridge keeps getting his head up and finding others like yesterday aswell as scoring goals he could become an outstanding player.
 

TheSweetSilverSong

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
930
Drubas said:
Gerrard: I think this was his best game. When they tried to keep the team compact and push us towards the right side in the build up, Gerrard was spot on with all crosses. His long play was one of they key elements to breaking down their defense. It's due to players like Gerrard that it pays off for Enrique to make a run down his side even if he doesn't get the ball. It's due to Gerrard that when Sturridge goes wide out the right the defence has to follow those extra meters. On top of that, he actually got a few well timed offensive runs in.

Henderson: I actually think that Downing did just as good as a right winger as Henderson. And they have the same weakness: their inability to deliver anything of value into the box.

Moses: Was great at falling deep, getting the ball, turning around and move the ball up the pitch. I was surprised that he was the man to solve this puzzle,

Enrique: My man of the match. The best attacking defender in the League, when he's got a good day.
I think you misunderstand the very dissimilar purpose of using Downing on the wing, and using Henderson on the wing.
 

Verbal80

New Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
138
A lot of divided opinions?!😕

I thought the game was quite obvious to call. We played shit but got a result.

This conjures up clichès such as;
- the best teams know how to grind out results
- the other top teams aren't playing well
- last season we'd have lost this game

But in context every argument has to be looked at both positively and negatively.

The positives are quite simple:
- we won
- we won when other teams around us lost
- we won after losing our last two
- we won after not winning in our last three
- we won when we had big players out
- we won coz Di Canio's a cu*t
- we won........

I think you know what I'm saying!

Truth is I could think of reasons til I'm blue in the face as to why we should feel good about the win. But ultimately it comes down to........

We won.

So feel happy and enjoy it. We're second. Man utd lost........again😂. Good times all round.

But it's not good times all round. And some supporters see nothing wrong with pointing this out.

And why should they! Noticing that we didn't dominate the play, we invited a lot of pressure, we couldn't get our passing together, we lost the midfield battle, Gerrard can't last more then 55-60mins on the pitch, Enrique isn't offering much going forward, Moses isn't a no.10 but a winger, Henderson should be in the middle, SAS still needs to improve.

All these things are of concern plus more.

You have ask yourself, are you a result first, performance second kind of guy(or girl), or vice versa.
 

Claymenza

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2013
Messages
1,844
Poor Scouser Tommy said:
One thing I particularly enjoyed was the manner in which Sturridge set up Suarez's goals.

He would likely have been justified to fire a shot at goal on both occasions as he could probably see a patch of open net from where he was positioned. On both occasions however, when he saw his strike-partner moving into a better position, he made two great passes that resulted in goals.

Many people have accused Sturridge of being selfish, and rightly so.

Fair enough, you do want your strikers to be a little selfish as I believe it shows that they're accepting responsibility for winning the game. Too much is often just too much though.

He certainly wasn't selfish on those two occasions and it got me thinking: is it possible that he hasn't really trusted anybody enough to push the ball to them when we're in our opposition's box? He surely knows that Suarez's skill and athleticism will improve the odds of the ball thwacking into the back of the net and seems quite happy to tee Luis up.

I suppose, to a certain degree, he might even be in awe of Suarez and that may be why he's so willing to share the ball?

Now, I do realise that the accusations of selfishness have been a cloud which have cast a shadow over his future for a while- well before he moved to Merseyside in fact. But, that may just prove my point.

After all, Torres could not have inspired much confidence in Daniel.



P.S. To be honest, I don't know how often Sturridge and Torres played together. It was simply an attempt to illustrate my point.
The point you make about sturridge willing to pass to suarez is exactly the same dilemma any striker faces.

If you're a striker worth your salt, you want the shot for yourself if you're in the penalty box and have only one defender to beat. However, if you know there is another striker in a better position....you'll only pass it if you have more confidence in that person in that circumstance.

If it was aspas or borini asking for the ball, sturridge would feel more inclined to shoot. Also note how Henderson's run was left unrecognized.

It's similar to how gerrard and torres benefited from each other. gerrard is more inclined to pass to players he thinks is world class, and somehow torres reciprocated the service! You throw Robbie keane in the mold, and this disrupts the balance.
 

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
9,040
Was an interesting game to watch.

Suarez+Sturridge was obviously key.

Hendo plays his heart out, just needs to work on his touch and crosses. He is growing on me.

I liked Moses in that role. He drives the ball forward and his pace forces the opp defense to drop into deeper positions. Solid signing...

Really don't understand BR's affliction for Sterling.

Still no Ilori for first team play...Wonder what the master plan is for that signing.

Back line looked fairly solid, I would not want to be tackled by Sakho...unorthodox playing style but very effective

good result
 

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
1,615
Semmy said:
Was an interesting game to watch.

Suarez+Sturridge was obviously key.

Hendo plays his heart out, just needs to work on his touch and crosses. He is growing on me.

I liked Moses in that role. He drives the ball forward and his pace forces the opp defense to drop into deeper positions. Solid signing...

Really don't understand BR's affliction for Sterling.

Still no Ilori for first team play...Wonder what the master plan is for that signing.

Back line looked fairly solid, I would not want to be tackled by Sakho...unorthodox playing style but very effective

good result
I've just realised who Sakho reminds me of - Sol Campbell. It's that kind of twinkle toes touch he has with the ball, which seems at odds with his size lol

Agree on Hendo - he works so hard and provides vital energy. His crossing was appalling in this match though, I wanted him to take on players and get in a better position.
 

Defuz

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
300
Doggie said:
....Agree on Hendo - he works so hard and provides vital energy. His crossing was appalling in this match though, I wanted him to take on players and get in a better position.
With Henderson's hustle, energy and ability to gain possession, if he can learn to serve the ball forward well, he'd dominate the defensive mid position. As he doesn't provide good service, his efforts are frequently wasted when he plays too far forward. I'd love to see him in the center of the park where he could dominate and feed to a true number 10.
 

nikz200

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
1,220
kipland007 said:
I'm really not trying to pick fights here, honestly asking.

Are people really happy with our performance throughout 90 minutes today? I understand all that about results being important, and it's only one game (so not trying to needlessly slag off Rodgers or the team) but from everything I saw we were woeful save our counterattacking (read: Sturridge and Suarez) and finishing.
While i am not happy, i also get it. No Coutinho, No Johnson, Suarez first game back from suspension, Stevie in such poor form, i would say to have the start we have had with the world against us in every sense of the word is quite a positive way to get this season on the way. the truth is , we were never going to be able to get fantastical beautiful players who play pretty fast paced football. I mean , most of those players who we talked to didnt even want to join us this season. Overall, we can complain about possesion and about the works, but here is the solemn truth, vs MAncs (capitol one)= Play well, no result, vs Sunderland= play average or below average, win. Thats the truth of it all, we have the capacity for good performances, we just need to untap that potential, and with january coming soon, we should hope Rodgers gets cover for Stevie and Lucas, or buys a fantastic DM to try and make our midfield strong and able to win the ball back and distribute properly.
 

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
5,693
Regarding Sturridge and his strike partners, I mentioned this before in an earlier game. Its not about selfishness, its about decision making. I vaguely remember that just before Sturridge scored a goal through the corner (which he won), he had the perfect chance to play in another player but he chose to take a shot from an acute angle. This is no longer about selfishness anymore, its about making the right decisions in the passage of play. And I was pleasantly surprised when Sturridge chose to play in Suarez for the 3rd goal because I would thought he is going to take a shot from that acute angle again but he did not, this proves that he is improving as an all round striker, not only deadly but very aware of the players around him and making the right decisions. I am happy that Sturridge is improving in this area.
 

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
9,040
nikz200 said:
While i am not happy, i also get it. No Coutinho, No Johnson, Suarez first game back from suspension, Stevie in such poor form, i would say to have the start we have had with the world against us in every sense of the word is quite a positive way to get this season on the way. the truth is , we were never going to be able to get fantastical beautiful players who play pretty fast paced football. I mean , most of those players who we talked to didnt even want to join us this season. Overall, we can complain about possesion and about the works, but here is the solemn truth, vs MAncs (capitol one)= Play well, no result, vs Sunderland= play average or below average, win. Thats the truth of it all, we have the capacity for good performances, we just need to untap that potential, and with january coming soon, we should hope Rodgers gets cover for Stevie and Lucas, or buys a fantastic DM to try and make our midfield strong and able to win the ball back and distribute properly.
All you can ever ask is the players give their 100% on the pitch...

Honestly I would rather see them go after an offensive Midfielder instead of a DM...with our current group of (young, inexperienced) players available to play in that position we are showing the gap in our lineup every week...whether it be a Keisuke Honda, Dembele, Gotze, Ramires, Paulinho TYPE of player I am not terribly picky. Just want a guy with vision, soft touch and attacking quality to score a few the way our mid USED to.

Coutinho is no slouch and I enjoy his play, but have yet to see him consistently produce when slotted into that role. I think he is more comfortable with the space provided on the wing.

That being said, Moses did quite well there considering its not his natural position. Alberto has the pedigree for it but only seen him in lower leagues being able to produce...Barca2 highlights were impressive but the competition not as good
 

Claymenza

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2013
Messages
1,844
Semmy said:
All you can ever ask is the players give their 100% on the pitch...

Honestly I would rather see them go after an offensive Midfielder instead of a DM...with our current group of (young, inexperienced) players available to play in that position we are showing the gap in our lineup every week...whether it be a Keisuke Honda, Dembele, Gotze, Ramires, Paulinho TYPE of player I am not terribly picky. Just want a guy with vision, soft touch and attacking quality to score a few the way our mid USED to.

Coutinho is no slouch and I enjoy his play, but have yet to see him consistently produce when slotted into that role. I think he is more comfortable with the space provided on the wing.

That being said, Moses did quite well there considering its not his natural position. Alberto has the pedigree for it but only seen him in lower leagues being able to produce...Barca2 highlights were impressive but the competition not as good
None of the above were willing to be a backup for coutinho.

Not even suso who will come back stronger next season.
 

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
9,040
Claymenza said:
None of the above were willing to be a backup for coutinho.

Not even suso who will come back stronger next season.
We need to buy a player whom Coutinho would be the backup to...he is versatile enough to fill different roles (Moses loan expires)
 

SF Red

TIA Regular
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
2,684
I watched the match again without the normal anxiety that I have when I watch a match live.

I don't think we played nearly as badly as I initially thought. Just a few observations.

The shots for Sunderland were mostly outside box. They had 23 shots, 5 on target. Only 1 on target was inside the box - and that was the goal which came from a rebound from one of the shots outside the box that was on goal. Closing down these shots is really key and one of our major weaknesses IMO.

Henderson was very good off the ball with movement and defensively, but probably had his worst match on the ball. He just can't cross well enough to play that right wing-back position IMO. Defensively, he was strong with Toure coming over when they were doubled on that side. Henderson was much better in the center after Sterling came on.

Suarez clearly trusts (or was told to trust) his teammates much more than last season. He passed to Sturridge and Henderson much more than last season. The number of times he looked right for Henderson was really refreshing. Henderson had trouble with his crosses however.

Sturridge finally looks match fit. He looked very good and was running until the last minute. Suarez and Sturridge have clearly worked together quite a bit in training and made adjustments after the ManU match where they seemed a bit out of sync.

Enrique, with the ball, is a high-risk/high-reward player. He tries things like those passes to Suarez that stretch a defense and sometimes lead to great chances. Other times, he tries a back heel when there are acres of space behind him. There are clearly 2 different sets of risky maneuvers he tries. If he can still do the first and eliminate the second, he could be a much more reliable player IMO.

Sakho was very good. I think enough people have written about him already.

The weakness of the 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 is clearly defending on the wings when the fullbacks get forward. We did a pretty good job with that. On the right, Toure helped Henderson and Lucas helped Enrique on the left when 2 players got forward.

Except for the time Mignolet dropped the ball and Toure had that questionable back pass, we were much better on set peice situations.

Gerrard was very good with the ball (getting a key pass and an assist), but I thought he was poor without the ball. Both him and Lucas seem to moving with the ball, which is fine, but they seem to do so without regard to unmarked opposition players at the top of our box. I see, in some other thread, that people are having a Lucas vs. Gerrard debate. But I think they have both been poor defensively with awareness and positioning the last couple of matches. They seem to be sitting off a lot and not closing down players. Not sure if that is by design, but I can't imagine that it would be. It feels like other players are trying to press and play more of a "Rodgers" system while Lucas and Gerrard are sitting off and playing more of a "Hodgson" system of get in your lines, move together.

All in all, I thought we were very good in both final thirds, but not so much in the middle third. It is not really surprising. In January we got in 2 very good front 3 players. In the summer, we got in some very good defenders (and some from 3 players as well). The midfield has been neglected a bit and no one can really get a rest with Allen and Coutinho being out(well, Lucas will now for 1 match).
 

baxter

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
281
Drubas said:
Gerrard: I think this was his best game. When they tried to keep the team compact and push us towards the right side in the build up, Gerrard was spot on with all crosses. His long play was one of they key elements to breaking down their defense. It's due to players like Gerrard that it pays off for Enrique to make a run down his side even if he doesn't get the ball. It's due to Gerrard that when Sturridge goes wide out the right the defence has to follow those extra meters. On top of that, he actually got a few well timed offensive runs in.

Henderson: I actually think that Downing did just as good as a right winger as Henderson. And they have the same weakness: their inability to deliver anything of value into the box.

Moses: Was great at falling deep, getting the ball, turning around and move the ball up the pitch. I was surprised that he was the man to solve this puzzle,

Enrique: My man of the match. The best attacking defender in the League, when he's got a good day.
It seems common for managers to play central midfielders out on the wing initially to develop them and I'm not sure why.

Wenger did it last season with Ramsay and has done it before with others.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,481
SF Red said:
Gerrard was very good with the ball (getting a key pass and an assist), but I thought he was poor without the ball. Both him and Lucas seem to moving with the ball, which is fine, but they seem to do so without regard to unmarked opposition players at the top of our box. I see, in some other thread, that people are having a Lucas vs. Gerrard debate. But I think they have both been poor defensively with awareness and positioning the last couple of matches. They seem to be sitting off a lot and not closing down players. Not sure if that is by design, but I can't imagine that it would be. It feels like other players are trying to press and play more of a "Rodgers" system while Lucas and Gerrard are sitting off and playing more of a "Hodgson" system of get in your lines, move together.
I think this part of your analysis is key for me and im glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Unless both press the ball we will give their midfield time and space to play and we'll invite pressure on to ourselves.

Prime example would be the chance for Gardner just before half time. They have possession in midfield and Lucas comes out to press Larsson who has the ball. Larsson rolls it across to Cattermole but Gerrard holds his position in front of the back four and doesn't come out to pressure Cattermole. He gets his head up and with that much time and space is able to pick the dinked pass over the top for Gardner. Without the save Mignolet makes we are looking at going in at half time at 1-1 rather than 0-2.

Same for their goal except this time neither Gerrard nor Lucas make much effort to close down Ki outside the box. Again the time and space afforded to him allows him to get a shot off which results in their goal. There was another one I recall off the top of my head when Gardner got the ball on the edge of the box and again no one closed him down allowing him to get a dangerous shot in that Mignolet uncomfortably pushed away for a corner. This time Gardner was a little wider out on their right side but neither Gerrard, Lucas or Enrique went to the man with the ball and we gave up and easy strike at goal to a player who can be very dangerous in that area.

However when we do get the pressing right it does work. The Gerrard freekick that resulted in Skrtl's disallowed goal stemmed from Lucas and Enrique closing down the Sunderland man with the ball just inside their half of the pitch. That recovery of possession high up the field meant we could get at the back four when it wasn't organised and when they didn't have too many men behind the ball. We didn't do this enough in the game and the longer the game went on the less and less inclined both Lucas and Gerrard seemed to be to press the ball.

I thought a key part of Rodgers tactical approach was intense pressing and trying to recover possession higher up the field. At the moment that just isn't happening.
 

jabu

TIA New Signing
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
5,621
gasband said:
Regarding Sturridge and his strike partners, I mentioned this before in an earlier game. Its not about selfishness, its about decision making. I vaguely remember that just before Sturridge scored a goal through the corner (which he won), he had the perfect chance to play in another player but he chose to take a shot from an acute angle. This is no longer about selfishness anymore, its about making the right decisions in the passage of play. And I was pleasantly surprised when Sturridge chose to play in Suarez for the 3rd goal because I would thought he is going to take a shot from that acute angle again but he did not, this proves that he is improving as an all round striker, not only deadly but very aware of the players around him and making the right decisions. I am happy that Sturridge is improving in this area.
this is a very good post gasband... i think a lot of players like sterling, hendo suffer to make an impact in the final third because the decisionmaking process is not that great... great post