POST MATCH Thread: Liverpool 1-2 Man Utd

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Come on now Hope, I didn't expect something like this from you.

I felt physically sick after this game. I'm still speechless.

I do not expect us to take heart from this performance, while it was good. History has shown that we have a cowards mentality among the squad, and most players will crawl into their shells and try to look annonymous. I'll be giving a break from watching us play I think.

The situation is very, very dire. I'm out.
I am never too comfortable with ref lynching. it does go on a lot here. Though i totally agree that he had a poor game but the trouble with it is that it can be used as an excuse to mask certain obvious problems

good sides wouldnt need to rely on referees having good or bad games, thats what i always say, and though i think Halsey took the easy way out a bit yesterday, hes not corrupt. Hes not even Howard Webb either. he was though not quite strong enough to handle the occasion, and unfortunately its often the case that strong sides tend to get more decisions go their way. Was the same back in the 80's

when you are struggling, things tend to go wrong everywhere. As i also said elsewhere, we used to have a reputation of turning base metal in to gold. now we turn it in to fag ash. Its that kind of era

though enjoyed the efforts of the youngsters. it was a pity Suso's stray pass ultimately resulted in Aggers knee injury and the penalty kick, because at times he looked like David Silva's little brother. Was favourably impressed otherwise [but is he going to sign a new contract here? Something tells me perhaps not...]. Sterling was still good though closely marked and Gerrard was much improved

but these injuries and our piss thin squad, a direct result of weak administration [people should now be finally beginning to realise why you need a strong footballing admin set up, surely?], are obstructing BR's progress, which despite everything is there, but its not being allowed to blossom as much as it could or should because the resources have been denied us

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Gutted we lost, some great performances, some strange decisions and some good ones from the ref. We deserved more. But we can take positives.
I have to agree, we where in charge for vast parts of the game, the sending off did not help but I for one have no complaint of JoJo, if he had not gone in for that ball we would have been saying he bottled it, this is football and another day the ref would not have given a red card, it was the other players reaction that got him sent off. It was good to see Suso given the second half and he did well, everyone did well and I felt we could have got more out of the game, It just was not to be, Signs of progress was there to see.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
For me, this was an immense performance from us in a match in which the referee decided almost everything in United's favor. We were hungrier, more creative, more resilient and miles better than them. We deserved the win today perhaps more than we have all season, simply because of how well we continued to play in the face of tremendous adversity.

I too am worried about where the results are going to come from, but you can't fault our mentality or anything about the way Rodgers is approaching matches or the squad. We're seeing a number of things in terms of attacking play and incorporation of young players that most have been crying out for for years. The way Suso slotted into the side today and looked confident and assured was incredible. Brendan has probably given every player in the reserves the confidence and belief to start making a difference in the first team.

Of course, we need to start getting results otherwise this sort of incredible overhaul will mean little. But we're past a very difficult start to the season and, to my eye, we've had our two best performances of the season against Sunderland and then United. Losing Agger will be a massive loss but we have to hope that Brendan decides to move forward with his bold approach and bring in Coates instead of Carragher to replace him. We have a much easier run of games over the next month and I'd be confident we could take at least 10 points from the next five which should move us up the league quite a bit. I'd expect to see us move up the league steadily until Christmas, and then make a stronger push for the top 6 before the end of the season.

Unlike last season where we seemed to fall apart progressively, I think we've only grown and improved so far. We're not getting the results to emphasize it, and if they don't come by Christmas, we'll need to do something drastic to rescue it. But with the way we've been playing I just don't see that being how it plays out. There were long stretches in that first half where only one team was even playing, and that's not by chance. We were very good today with 11, and still quite good with 10.

As much as people might want to make broader points about our season based on today's result, it doesn't make any sense to do that. We outperformed them completely and earned a result that was taken from us by an official. That was clear to even Gary Neville.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The only worry I have after that game is the injuries hopefully Kelly's isn't serious because I think Agger's is.
We played the Manchester United off the park for 55 minutes and were more than equal for the remaining 35. Not to mention we've played the champions off the park and played well at Sunderland it's coming together the next three league games are vital to Rodgers though,

Kennysgoldenass

Lovrens in the air.
It's strange to talk of positives after being beat unfairly by the Scum due to an awful referee and with injuries to key players.
But..
I can see Rodgers turning us into a really good side. The signs are there. Obviously a striker is needed badly but that cannot be helped until January. It's not the time to get down in the dumps, we played really well yesterday and deserved so much better. Suso ahead of Downing said it all.
Back Rodgers through this and it will improve. Was never going to be easy.

Nemanja

TIA New Signing
It's strange to talk of positives after being beat unfairly by the Scum due to an awful referee and with injuries to key players.
But..
I can see Rodgers turning us into a really good side. The signs are there. Obviously a striker is needed badly but that cannot be helped until January. It's not the time to get down in the dumps, we played really well yesterday and deserved so much better. Suso ahead of Downing said it all.
Back Rodgers through this and it will improve. Was never going to be easy.

Totally agree. Considering this is the 13th page, i will not write about how ref ruined the game for us, how it shouldn't have been a red card, and how we dominated the pink devils even with 10 man.

I will just say that i can see Rodgers turning things around ( if he gets more then one season ), i can see Suso, maybe Pacheco again breaking into the first squad considering we need more options up front, which may be annoying now but maybe in 2 years from now we are going to be delighted that this transfer window ended in a way it did.

Also i don't understand people that are going to take " a rest" from our games. Why leave this ship when it's not even sinking, i think it sank 2 years ago with Hodgson , now it's back in the sea, and it's just a matter of time when we will be going full spead ahead :D

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I never thought i would say it after a defeat at anfield to the scum, but i have never been more proud of being a liverpool fan. i don't know how people who saw the game ontv or via stream, but seeing the behavior of the fans before and during the match, seeing the commitment of the players on the pitch, was amazing.

my heart is filled with pride, and no scoreline, joke of a ref, or injury list will spoil it for me.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
[sub]BTW, just saw the twitter comment by shelvy. "no way was i pulling out of that tackle in a game of that importance".[/sub]

[sub]did i mention before how proud i am of liverpool fans, club and players[/sub]

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I heard on the radio on the way back from the game people calling for Rodgers to be sacked......I genuinely hope this doesnt gather momentum.

As for the team, we know we are thin, but man theres some bloody good young talent there. joe allen was brilliant, shelvey is a beast, and will only get better. someone mentioned us hiding, not him. his is the sort of attitude we need. sterling, suso, kelly, henderson.

we have the makings of a very good team, i just hope fans patience will last to see it come to fruition.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
You're out?

Jeez - I'm glad the families of the 96 have a tad more dedication than you do.

I don't understand how people can be so despondent after the display we put on yesterday. We played fantastic football, and bar a refereeing disaster would probably have won the match.

We're going to win a lot of games if we play that way.
Cool your jets. I never said I was leaving this club did I?

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
pissed off with the sending off, pissed off with the blind ref, what a way to ruin a great spectacle. just proud how we dominated the game from the start and did really well whilst down to 10 men. well done red men, should have got the result that you deserved.

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
My head is spinning after yesterday. Terrific performance by all concerned but no points. A season so far of played 5 draw 2 lost 3, a terrible return considering some of the performances. Its not really luck or refs or the weather, its hard to put a label on it, but I think when it does click it will be awesome. We do definitely need striking options in January. Our next 5 games? how many of those could we win if any?
Norwich away could be a chance for 3 simply because they are not scoring
Stoke at home, Stoke are Stoke as they showed against Chelski, resilient stubborn spoilers, Jesus wouldn't we all be glad of an in off the bum win there
Reading at home, another resilient side, but 3 points a must for us, could this be the lashing a team gets from our young team?
Then Everton at Goodison, form out the window, anything can happen here
Newcastle at home, a physical skillful side, toughest nut of all to crack this one

I would probably predict 9 points from 5 games. Tough times ahead for all, but nobody said it was going to be easy.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Cool your jets. I never said I was leaving this club did I?
Well not wanting to watch the game is what he is pointing towards.... makes no difference if you are or aren't in "the club" if that is the stance you take.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
All 5 of our next games are winnable. We win them and the picture will look very different.

Calls for BR being sacked are nonsense. You can see clearly that his style of football works. We just need the goal scorer to bang them in and a slice of luck.

I'm being patient and keeping faith. Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
Jesus what in the name of God was this?

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16460_8106044,00.html

So called fans of our club no dignity, Mancs with even less dignity

Line in the sand? I dont think so....

Just when you thought the refs couldn't get any worse Halsey puts in a stinker of a performance. Too many games that the refs are deciding matches (against us in our case and in favour of the Mancs in their case). Besides Jonjo Shelveys tackle which should also have seen a red card handed out to the prick Jonny Evans not to mention Robin Van Persie later in in the game if that is the standard which had been set Valencia's dive should never have been awarded a penalty.

I've said it too many times but double standards used by referees is unacceptable and goes against their code of conduct of impartiality. When Suarez gets fairly taken down his claims are either brushed aside or he is given a yellow card and yet when other Man Utd players with a record for diving (eg. Welbeck, Valencia, Young, Nani) go down theatrically it doesn't take very long for the ref to point to the spot.

Why is it that slight touches of the back by one of our players (eg. Agger vs Long or Johnson vs Valencia) get awarded a penalty meanwhile when Glen got elbowed in the back against Sunderland it was not given? Why is it that when Suarez is legitimately brought down against Sunderland he is given a yellow card and yet on the same day when Welbeck is perfecting his diving technique against Wigan he is awarded a penalty?

Once or twice you can call it coincidence but when such things happen consistently and have been happening over many seasons it becomes a bit more than that. Snidey managers like Alex Funguson still have too much influence on the game and with the standard of officiating getting seemingly worse by the day the FA need to have a long hard look at themselves (not that I believe for 1sec that they ever will). It simply is not on.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
"Jonjo Shelvey's sending off was a clear red card, there was a dangerous attempt to go for the ball," he said. "Jonny Evans went for the ball and got it, and I don't think there was any other decision referee could make. He blamed me! But he is young and he will realise the stupidity of it."

Even Fergus knows his man Evans made a two footed tackle but claims he won the ball so he got scott free. I thought the object was to punish these two footed tackles so that players are not encourage to do so especially with studs showing regardless if u win the ball.

Tosh

TIA Regular
Didn't see the match - but I'm wound up enough from what I've heard and see.

They may as well give Man U the League. Right from the top to the bottom, the F.A. are on their side.

Due to circumstances completely beyond my control, I couldn't watch the match today. But I have now watched it and the MOTD highlights. Here we go......

I'd have sent Shelvey off, laughed at Suarez's penalty claim (his foot digs into the turf starting his tumble before the defender touches him), awarded United's penalty and slept soundly knowing I had done a decent job. I'm a passionate Liverpool fan but I don't let the red mist blind my judgement (well, that's the plan!)
Perhaps familiarising yourself with the rules of the game instead of relying on MOTD highlights would be a good start.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
Didn't see the match - but I'm wound up enough from what I've heard and see.

They may as well give Man U the League. Right from the top to the bottom, the F.A. are on their side.
Utter Tosh Tosh... I am old enough to remember when we ruled the roost & other teams made those allegations against us. Ref's decisions even out over a season. Refs have to make split second decisions & unlike all the armchair supporters who see it 20 times from different angles & speeds.

Our season starts here & I have faith that given time & a few seasons BR can get us back up there challenging. We have some amazing young talent & for the first time in a long time I am excited by what I am seeing,

Utter Tosh Tosh... I am old enough to remember when we ruled the roost & other teams made those allegations against us. Ref's decisions even out over a season. Refs have to make split second decisions & unlike all the armchair supporters who see it 20 times from different angles & speeds.

Our season starts here & I have faith that given time & a few seasons BR can get us back up there challenging. We have some amazing young talent & for the first time in a long time I am excited by what I am seeing,
That's how it should be but in the real world that is not how it is. Too many instances of particular decisions consistently going one team's way or against another's makes you realize that the refs are not exactly immune to certain managers' influence on games.

And unlike arm chair fans these referees are paid professionals meant to be at the top of their game and have assistant referees to help make their decisions. If they cannot officiate properly they should perhaps think of another career choice. And certainly in terms of the angle of the controversial calls made yesterday Halsey was in clear view of those incidents.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Ref's decisions even out over a season. Refs have to make split second decisions & unlike all the armchair supporters who see it 20 times from different angles & speeds.
Actually, it is tosh to say that ref decisions even out over the season. There is no empirical basis for that, and the few attempts to study across sports have found robust evidence of perceptual and other bias. Big teams do get the calls - and do you really think that calls for and against Suarez on penalties will 'even out' over the season?

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
[sub]BTW, just saw the twitter comment by shelvy. "no way was i pulling out of that tackle in a game of that importance".[/sub]

[sub]did i mention before how proud i am of liverpool fans, club and players[/sub]

As am I but got annoyed that he apologized on Twitter to Fergie! Sure he didn't need to have a go at the old fart but was deserved IMO, a long time coming too. Then Fergie calls him stupid and no one complains? Will anyone here have the balls to stand up to him?

Anyways, first it was not a red card and if it was then it should also be for Evans as well as he went in two-footed as well but didn't get the ball. Suarez's penalty appeal I can see it not being given as he went down a tad easily but Valencia got it for even less contact! How RichLFC can say that Halsey isn't corrupt bemuses me. First we don't know that he is or not but evidence from yesterday shows that he might well be. All the big decisions went against the HOME team if he wasn't strong enough to handle the big occasion then surely he'd have sided with the home team then? Instead he went with trying not to anger Fergie like he works for him. Woeful decisions yet its hardly talked about in the media but if Suarez goes down easily its front page news about how he's a tosser and diver but ManU players dive just as much but get the benefit of the doubt each and every time this season.

There, down with the negatives. We played well, dominated possession and passed it well. Still didn't create enough top quality chances but we seem to be creating better chances than we were when the season started. So a plus. Improved performances from Gerrard, Johnson, Kelly and Skrtel. Sterling was dangerous at times, Suso did well a few good touches and passes. Borini was a live wire and made a few good runs but Shelvey started badly but looked better as the first half went on. Too bad he got sent off as he might have gotten even better in the second half. Allen was solid as usual, thankfully.

I feel encouraged about the future today though missing Agger and Kelly will hurt, hopefully Rodgers will bring in Enrique, Robinson and Coates to take over from them. Unfortunate to lose them as Johnson, Agger, Skrtel and Kelly seem to be getting more comfortable playing together and now we have to bed in two new guys in which could take time. I wonder if Downing will be preferred to Enrique and Robinson at LB?

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Shelvey's studs hit Evan's shins and he didn't get the ball. That's red in my book.
So if it was shelvey that had stayed down, you would say that evans deserved the red?

As I saw it they both went into the challenge on fair ground to each other, jonjo won it and evans happen to stayed down, touch luck for evans in my book, but surely not in the refs tho, which makes you wonder on what basis he made the call on? on who got hurt the most? I've seem players get injured without the other part got any card at all, so on what basis are the refs calling by.
How many times last season did we see Carroll basicly get an albow to his neck without even a freekick being called. So I ask again on what basis did the ref call on. You could be tempted to say on the jerseys in this case.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
sorry guys, I know its the wrong thread but I cant find the ticket thread.
I'm gonna be around Norwich next saterday and was wondering if there is any hope in hell of picking up 2 tickets.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I was pretty calm about this yesterday, tried to keep a level headed perspective about the Shelvey red (I hate blaming the ref, as I believe that you make your own breaks) but today I woke up fuming. It might have been the mancs singing murderers, or the fact that fungus is a chode. They really deserve every bad thing that happens to them and I hope we draw them in both cups and fucking destroy them at OT.

Classless is the most fitting adjective.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Bitter outcome, but pending the outcome of injuries, I am actually fairly encouraged. I expected 1 point from the big three games, which is what we got. The ref gifted them a man advantage for over a half, and we still had the edge in time of possession. Still struggling to find how to move it ahead with the threat in the final third, but it is starting to come together. Suso simply blew me away - his entire performance came with a man disadvantage!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Come on now Hope, I didn't expect something like this from you.

I felt physically sick after this game. I'm still speechless.

I do not expect us to take heart from this performance, while it was good. History has shown that we have a cowards mentality among the squad, and most players will crawl into their shells and try to look annonymous. I'll be giving a break from watching us play I think.

The situation is very, very dire. I'm out.
What didn't you expect from me? Telling the truth as it is? This guy is a full pro, paid by the FA do do only refereeing, that's a fact. In the three decisions he had to make, he had a perfect position to see events, as one would expect from a pro. Second fact.

Yet, he makes a complete meal out of it, on three occasions, not one... Alarm bells still not ringing, mate?

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
I am never too comfortable with ref lynching. it does go on a lot here. Though i totally agree that he had a poor game but the trouble with it is that it can be used as an excuse to mask certain obvious problems

(...)
Not denying that there are clear problems of our own doing. For instance, we should have been out of sight before Jonjo's red card, at least two or three goals up, given the way we were dominating procedures. That's the same old problem than last season. Frustrating...[/background]
[/font]