• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH Thread: Liverpool 1-2 Man Utd

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Real tough loss. After Gerrard scored that well composed first, I thought it was in the cards to get some points. We played well for the next 20 or so minutes, but once Henderson came on, we seemed to lose defense on the flank.

I don't think it was Henderson's fault at all though, it seemed that our positional sense was lost with Suso, Allen and Gerrard all working in the middle of what looked to be a flat four midfield. We started to have Gerrard, Suso, Henderson and Allen all occupying the same spot. I'd be interested to hear what Rodgers told Suso and Hendo.

Giving away that ball on the breakaway that led to ManU's 2nd, it looked like a poor decision on the ball by Agger.

Gutted to see Agger go down. My guess; broken ankle, tibia or fibula. I've had that injury, takes 2 or so months to come back.

I also don't know about Kelly, he looked pretty broken up after he went down. My guess; 4-6 weeks ligament strain.

Its now a battle of attrition folks. We will have to run the youngsters out. Hopefully we can get some results the next 4 weeks. We need points!

Shelvey should have gotten yellow. No need to expound there. I'm sure most of you agree.

Damn shame. We put up a good fight.

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
Jamie Redknapp on Sky: Liverpool deserved so much more, and it will come if they keep playing like this.

Ray Houghton on LFCtv: Liverpool made too many blunders that they need to cut out.

Jason McAteer on LFCtv: we've been too over elaborate with the passing in the final third, no end product.

Seems Redknapp is perennially blinkered, while Houghton and McAteer telling it as it is.

RazvanLFC

incredible mark halsey... i rarely criticise the officials but this was shocking refereeing for me. I`ll say no more now just that i`m proud of the team and i fuc**** hope we start winning our next PL games.

ReRangles

We played beautifully in the first half but we have got to win games sometime. Well they did say we had a good referee in Mark halsey before the game.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
For anyone who still thinks Shelvey was right to be sent off, and that it was a two footed lunge;

Wrong player got sent off. Had Shelvey's leg not been off the ground it would have been shawcross vs ramsey part 2. Shelvey didn't even go in with his studs showing, it was the side of his foot.

Awful, awful refereeing.
If he hadn't lunged for that ball he'd have had 40,000 people on his back, along with his manager and team mates. Pressing high and hard is what we do and Shelvey was doing it really well.

Ferguson and Halsey had to do something as we were running away with it in the first half.
Never mind. Seeing the above image, I retract my statement.

stepea

TIA Youth Team
I just don't know anymore guys.

Honestly, I'm an honest football supporter above all else.

LFC just cannot catch a break. I'm not one for hard-luck stories or blaming refs, but where does this all stop?

And 5 minutes of extra time? What genius cacluated that?

2 points from 5 games.
Quite agree, sick and fed up getting shafted by certain referee's against certain clubs. Always the same, you can pick the games you might as well not turn up to. Fifa and their fair play.

rab

We bossed the game until the sending off and even for periods after that too which was good to see. Appears to be a lack of intensity at times which I think needs addressing but on a different day with a different ref we'd have strolled that game.

Thought Shelvey invited the sending off but he either goes in as hard as he did or he backs out the challenge completely. If he'd come off worse out the challenge then I think Evans would have seen red so he's been punished for winning a very physical confrontation. He's started the season well but Sahin, Henderson or even Suso can cover while he's suspended.

Defence looked a lot more solid than previous games and we created a decent number of chances but again lacked that instinctive goal getter in the box. A 21 year old Robbie Fowler would have about a dozen goals already this season playing in this side.

Injuries to Agger and Kelly are concern particularly as both looked to be quite serious. Time for Enrique to get his form back immediately and for Coates to step up we have some long term absences.

Tough start to the season but really need a win next week to kick start the campaign and give the players some much needed confidence.

spooky

TIA New Signing
Same points as corresponding games last season, we kick on now and never look back watch us go now. Ynwa

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
First off - the referee was genuinely a disgrace. Unfit to be called a referee.
Second - again we create chances and fail to take them. We still appear to be suffering from a phobia of getting players in the goddam box!
Good performance. This is what the level they should be at in every game. Young Sterling played a good game, but wrong to sub him as he was a genuine threat. Suarez needs to pack in his cheating - unacceptable from any player.
Once again it was a good performance but wrong result, helped by the referee who must be on the Utd payroll(another one!). Our first win will come, but we need to convert our chances and keep our fingers crossed that we get a decent referee!!!
Negative notes: Agger and Kelly. Oh, and the referee who was minus negative! AND!!! LUCK - when will we get any!!!

Magic mushroom time!!!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Bad enough we had to play with one man down from the start of the whistle, we have to have one sent off.

The biggest issue in Rodgers' hands would be how to get the team up for the next outing. Played well, extremely well with 10 against 12-men, and yet lose. He will need to work extra hard to get the team going again, not so much the younger ones, but the senior boys. These are the players that tend to sulk and shrink their head in like a fucking scared turtle.

Feel bad for the players, the referee needs to be investigated, day-light robbery gone unpunished!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Just how we lost that game is beyond my understanding. Well done ref. Briilaint.
Chuck the game. I am more worried about kelly and agger now.

All the lads can hold their heads up high. we gave our best. I cant ask anything more as a fan.
I hope we play d same way throughout the season. at the moment we are in relegation zone. the more we stroll there, the more we loose our confidence. we have to get back to winning ways.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
The result has to be forgotten, it was a travesty and shouldn't have happened. The performance and attitude of both players and coach was superb and with Suso and Sterling finally getting opportunities and taking them we will be alright. Guys, if your looking at the table after 5 games your not looking at what's important and that's the football. Allen was superb, Gerard was a marvel, skrtel, a brick wall. We will be okay of we can continue to play well. I hope rodgers is given time and not nailed to the mast for others mistakes.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We are cursed by some obscure forces, I'm now sure of it. This, or the FA definitely have decided to get this club's head as a decoration in their hunting trophies room.

redalways

TIA Regular
One and all, let's not forget that should Kelly be out long-term, it will be because of a shit refereeing decision allowing somebody who made a two-footed lunge to get away with a mere yellow card, letting him hit Kelly's knee after.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Great display by suarez. he was class. really conducted himself well.

Just goes to show the class of fergi doesnt it? he fights with a 21 year old kid. Shit will be shit.

m.degreek

so fu%kin pissed off what aload of sh1t robed blind feel so empty when will we ever catch a break

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Four if you count not giving Evans a card at the same time as Shelvey.
Five if you count in RVP making the exact strong challenge like Shelvey in the first half, but only getting a yellow. Where is the consistency in this, apart systematically favouring the mancs?

I'll say it again: this man is a full-time ref, a professional. He knew exactly what he was doing. These weren't errors or mistakes, but intentional decisions in order to harm us and give the mancs the three points.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
We are cursed by some obscure forces, I'm now sure of it. This, or the FA definitely have decided to get this club's head as a decoration in their hunting trophies room.
I agree with that.
But if i were the manager, i would tell my lads, "look fellas,we wont win vs utd, because of ref" lets concentrate on the remaining 36 games.

RedSeven

On the one road
Five if you count in RVP making the exact strong challenge like Shelvey in the firdt half, but only getting a yellow. Where is the consistency in this, apart systematically favouring the mancs?

I'll say it again: this man is a full-time ref, a professional. He knew exactly what he was doing. These weren't errors or mistakes, but intentional decisions in order to harm us and give the mancs the three points.
i though rvp challenge was more of a sending off,studs up.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Gutted.....outstanding game by the lads, can hold their heads up and plenty of positives to take from the game.

Halsey was disgraceful Shelvey's tackle wasn't a red and Valencia Pen was a dive, if anything Evans was the one showing his studs and so did VanPersie and yet we are the ones who have the player sent off. Evans had hands all over Agger in the box and no Pen for us but then Valencia dives and Halsey has a clear view and gives a pen to United.

I just wonder if we will ever turn the corner, can't remember the last time we got a call go our way

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I am proud to be an LFC supporter today more than ever. Only one person responsible for that defeat and that was Halsey, an utter disgrace to the profession.

Kop13

TIA New Signing
Halsey needs to take a bath cause his stench is unberable. Evans went in with both his legs and played dead afterwards, while the "naive" Shelvey was sent off. Nothing to say about the penalty other than it was a disgrace. Proud of the effort by the team, but lets win a match for a change. I am starting to think that we are afraid of winning or something.

batt_red

TIA Reserve Team
Proud of the performance! Everyone gave their 200%...For sure the referee was shit and stole the game away from us by his two dubious decisions!

But we have to start taking our chances! We dominated the first half and should have had a goal at least!!

Hopefully, our season will kick-start now with extra turbo boost!!! Come on you REDS!!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I dont want to be drawing out the swords. but what the comparison between kenny vs roy vs BR in their 1st 5 games?.