• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH Thread: Liverpool 1-2 Man Utd

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Where to start....Anyone else got that sick familiar feeling in their gut? How many times have we watched refs hand these c*nts games on a plate? Remember way back the 7 mins of extra time given when they played Sheffield Wednesday in order for them to win 1-2? Basically the ref was going to keep playing until they got their result that day. Cantona's come back day and the peno given to them then? Fergie has the FA and refs in his fucking whiskey soaked pocket.
Today I watched the game with my Dad who is a Hammers fan. He was like Mystic fucking Meg.......said before the game that Halsey would show us a red first chance he got (although he reckoned Stevie would get it) AND said at half time he would give a dodgy penalty just to be sure. You couldn't make the fucking thing up.
Jesus we have to be positive but we need to win a game and fast. Its all very well playing well but get some points on the board first. Hats off to Brendan, I thought he had them up for it and I couldn't criticise his selection. JonJo needs to learn that its all very well steaming in but he will suffer the consequences especially against the Mancs for anything remotely dodgy. Stevie and Allen played well today, Johnson looked good (hes a winger FFS) and Kelly should make the right back position his own.
Im praying that Agger and Kellys injuries aren't serious but I'm not too confident about either. Kellys knee took a bad twist and Agger could have a break maybe. Big chance coming for Coates and maybe Wisdom if they are out long term.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Agger out, Kelly out, Borini might be out, Shelvey suspended... Can't demand too much at the moment.
We have Coates, Enrique and Sahin. While Borini, we can always put Suso in the hole between Sahin and Allen, while Gerrard moved to the right or center of the attacking 3. We have enough to cover the mid and the back. With Borini our biggest loss is his work rate to harry defenders, not like he is lethal and scored in every single game.

So we should be able to demand at least 7 if not 9 out of the next 9 points.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
My first ever match at Anfield, travelled around the world to see it, fantastic to see the tribute to the 96, to be able to sing youll never walk alone and watch my team outplay Man utd even with 10 men....

I am completely gutted that the game was ruined by a muppet with a whistle. The fact that we did as well as we did despite this should be seen as a positive.

From a purely footballing perspective, we have no where near enough movement in the box when we get in the final third....

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
we are constantly getting screwed over by a mix of bad luck, injuries to key players and poor calls, so be it. all we have to do is endure, we just don't have the choice, and stand proudly against these classless gloryhunting c****s spoiling a so important afternoon.

feel proud of the lads, we were the better team even with 1 man down.

Hope that such a succession of infortune won't drain their motivation away.

some are in for a well-deserved spanking, hope we'll give 'em.

YNWA | JFT96

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
Lots of text and good points
I know there are a lot to be positive about. I know we've played some though teams. The points should start coming soon.

What I meant was not only did we lose the match, we also lost players to injury and the red card doesn't only affect us today, it will affect us in coming matches too because of the suspension. A lot of things went against us and in the end it's a very frustrating loss.

JackleCube

I know generally we've tried to ignore the poor decisions that are constantly made against us (so many that it's clearly not impartial), but I'm just getting sick of it now, can the board or someone high up at the club not come out and actually launch a complaint or something along those lines? When a ref is clearly as inept as Mark Halsey was today, frankly, he doesn't even deserve a job cleaning up piss in nightclub toilets. I'm so sick of this on a constant basis; if the correct decisions were made today, we're talking about a very comfortable win over the bitter rivals, and a kickstart for the season; but as it is, we've been cheated out of it, and now we've got (I pressume) one of the worst if not thee worst start we've ever made? This could be pivotal, much more than the 3 points, and all because of some absolute twat of a ref, blaaaaaaah.

rab

@rab, I won't discuss the manager here anymore, except for the set up of our team today.

There's a BR thread out there.

As far as how much you are defending the set up and the performance of the midfield, before I remind you of the final score, I'll refer you the moments that Suso and Hendo were introduced. The red card forced us to eliminate our forwards from 3 to 1. We could have conceded 3 more had we not done that.

So you'll say how did not playing a 5 person midfield contribute to their 2 goals? I'll make the case that both goals were indirectly allowed by not having a packed MF.

The first was our inability to block their movement forward.

The second was because we didn't have many choices in the midfield that led to Agger and Suso's errors.
both goals we're scored when we were down to 10 men and playing with four midfielders on the pitch with one up front, what else would you have liked Rodgers to do in that situation? Your initial issue was with setting up in too attacking an approach but for the first forty minutes we ran the game. You suggest by going for it that it somehow makes us look like some newly promoted gung ho side happy to loose by giving it a go but to set up to defend at home is a far more negative and lower oppostion mindset.

The performance today had a lot of positives and we were beaten by one very good strike when we actually had 3 v 2 against Rafael and Valencia and no one tracked Rafael's run and a dive from a break they made.

We didn't look like conceeding playing in our original set up so I really don't see where you're coming from. We struggle scoring goals but you think should sacrifice more attackers to pack a midfield we dominiated anyway. I'll say it again, no idea what game you watched to make you think we needed to play five midfielders and take a defensive approach. Without the Shelvey sending off there was only one team in it.

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
Agger out, Kelly out, Borini might be out, Shelvey suspended... Can't demand too much at the moment.
that's what's great about BR's approach. Thursday's match showed that certain young individuals can perform, and today proved that Sterling & Suso were up for the challenge, in one of the biggest matches available to us all season.

I have no reservations about Suso, Sterling, Assaidi etc getting the call.

kone

TIA Squad Member
Positives:

Great atmosphere and tribute to the 96

The team showed heart and determination to stay in the game after JohnJo's dodgy sending off.

Suso slotted in very well when he came on

Sterling really seems to be growing more and more into the tricky wide man we badly need

Pass and move!

Negatives:

The Ref

The Result

The injuries (but as we've seen our young lads can play when given the chance - Wisdom/Suso/Sterling)

Our lack of ability to put away our chances

T0o gutted to add anything else...

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
We have Coates, Enrique and Sahin. While Borini, we can always put Suso in the hole between Sahin and Allen, while Gerrard moved to the right or center of the attacking 3. We have enough to cover the mid and the back. With Borini our biggest loss is his work rate to harry defenders, not like he is lethal and scored in every single game.

Of course we have every chance of winning those games, but we are missing important players and I won't expect anything. Coates is still young and I don't have a lot of confidence in Enrique at the moment. I think Shelvey looked promising and the only positive thing about this is that Sahin gets a chance to show he should be a regular starter.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Means bringing in Coates, Enrique(or maybe wisdom), Sahin and possibly Assaidi. Our bench won't be great but we can get by. May even be a blessing if Borini is out, perhaps we'll try Yesil and he'll become an instant answer to our scoring problems.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Coates in for Agger, Enrique for Kelly, Sahin for Shelvey.

Assaidi, Suso or Downing (shudder) in for Borini.

That doesn't look like too much of a downgrade in all fairness, I'd still expect us to beat them 3 teams.

If we acquire any more injuries, however, then we're going to be really fucked. Especially if Skrtel or Coates pick one up.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I'm not sure how many multi billion dollars the EPL is as a business, but since it's the most watched football league in the world and the so called best I think it's a disgrace that they can't get better officials for this league. To say that this was just bad luck for us is plain wrong when it happens over and over that is a pattern and something else is going on. I am a casual fan of the MLS and I can't remember the last time I watched a Fire game and said man this ref is utter shit. The difference on the pitch between players between the league should be the same for the officials, but it's probably worse in the oppsoite way.

And for everyone in the summer who said that Agger was priceless or put some crazy amount for him, I hope he is not injured long term.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
So what happens now if we do not get 2 wins out of the next three games? Just let it go and put it down to experience?
Forget this season and prepare for the next?
Just hope we are not to far off relegation when January comes round and we can get AC back or buy another forward who will need at least 6 months to bed in?
If you like the passing game and great statistics, apart from the result you must be well-chuffed.
BR isn't all to blame as I blame FSG for their incompetence and lack of understanding of the game. I do blame BR however for his tactic of never passing the ball forward more than 5 ms.
How many times do I have to see a defender or midfielder under pressure having taken a first touch be panic stricken looking for a m8 close by to pass to, putting us in danger when a long ball up field does the trick.
Too much farting around and no end product.
Something needs to change, preferably to people who understand the game.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
we deserved to win and at least a draw... very unfortunate today... I'm not going to even waste my time complaining about the ref but there is no doubt that United got all the 50 50 calls in this match.....

we played great though.... and Suso looks like to me he needs to play more. very good job by a lot of our younger players today and the future looks bright imo..... I know I'm disappointed as anyone but I have faith in Rodgers to turn us around.. I really do. I like what i'm seeing from him. The people who don't see this really don't understand the game imo

Gstrain

4wins, 5draws and 15 loses in pl this calendar yr

Results matter more than dominating possession and being unlucky every week

ChicagoRed

Banned Users

I agree with everything said here. Norwich, Stoke at home and Reading should be atleast 7 points.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
both goals we're scored when we were down to 10 men and playing with five midfielders on the pitch with one up front, what else would you have liked Rodgers to do in that situation? Your initial issue was with setting up in too attacking an approach but for the first forty minutes we ran the game. You suggest by going for it that it somehow makes us look like some newly promoted gung ho side happy to loose by giving it a go but to set up to defend at home is a far more negative and lower oppostion mindset.

The performance today had a lot of positives and we were beaten by one very good strike when we actually had 3 v 2 against Rafael and Valencia and no one tracked Rafael's run and a dive from a break they made.

We didn't look like conceeding playing in our original set up so I really don't see where you're coming from. We struggle scoring goals but you think should sacrifice more attackers to pack a midfield we dominiated anyway. I'll say it again, no idea what game you watched to make you think we needed to play five midfielders and take a defensive approach. Without the Shelvey sending off there was only one team in it.
Top post, absolutely spot on. Definitely nothing wrong with our tactical approach to the game. We dominated them for 40 minutes with a 4-3-3 - ManU barely crossed the halfway line the middle part of the first half - and fell down in a more defensive 4-4-1 immediately after the red card. We also changed the shape a little bit after the equalizer and packed the midfield more, with three midfielders centrally and Suso behind Suarez. Not much more Rodgers could have done in my opinion.

I seem to remeber us trying the defensive approach under Hodgson. I also seem to remember it wasn't very popular among the fans...

Colin

TIA First Team

I think that's a very interesting stat and one that proves that this this shit form stretches back way further that this season.

Which is why we need to start turning it around and realising that BR is working on this. I can see plenty of postives but am under no illusions. When you have such terrible form there's a real rut and it's going to take alot of significant action to fully get out of that. We need to get our winning mentality back - it's unbelievable how luck starts to go you way when you've got the winning mentality.

It was very unfortunate that BR had such a brutal start (hard games) and we really should have beaten City and not lost today. But i still reason we can do an Arsenal this year and get stronger as the season goes along.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
At the very least we have the toughest of starts out of the way with certainly a disappointing harvest of points. The injuries provide a golden opportunity for young ambition and the forging of new and growing reputations. The feeling is they will not let us nor themselves down and consequently we will thrive.

dxb_red

we were unfortunate, and the most dissapointing thing is that those 2 or 3 seriously bad decisions ruined a potentially great game...but the fact remains that if you dont score, you cant expect to win...we should have put away our chances and then those decisions wouldnt have made a difference...even without the dodgy penalty, it still would have been 1-1 and we only really have ourselves to blame, so its no use saying we deserved 3 points...we dont deserve anything, we take what we earn, and if you fail to take advantage of the opportunities you get against a team like utd, you pay the price...thats not to say we were poor, we actually played very well, and when you consider the amount of youth we had on the field it gives us a lot to be optimistic about for the future...sterling (17), shelvey (20), allen (22), henderson (21), borini (21) and kelly (22), suso (18) were all involved and we dominated a relatively strong united side...not too shabby! we just need to start putting away our chances...

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
Top post, absolutely spot on. Definitely nothing wrong with our tactical approach to the game. We dominated them for 40 minutes with a 4-3-3 - ManU barely crossed the halfway line the middle part of the first half - and fell down in a more defensive 4-4-1 immediately after the red card. We also changed the shape a little bit after the equalizer and packed the midfield more, with three midfielders centrally and Suso behind Suarez. Not much more Rodgers could have done in my opinion.

I seem to remeber us trying the defensive approach under Hodgson. I also seem to remember it wasn't very popular among the fans...
absolutely. Hodgson, Kenny, and even Rafa would sit on the draw and try and hold them off. Almost never worked the past 3 seasons, and it's not what I as a fan expect from Liverpool. BR went in to win the game, and reminded us of that when Jonjo was sent off. If anything, we were pressing harder the entire game. Sure, valencia's counterattack which won the PK was a result of us pushing up the pitch, but that is the risk you take when you try to win the match.

A point would be swell, but I am much happier, and much prouder, that we pushed and made a tremendous effort to grab the 3 points.

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
After this performance the lads can hold their heads up high. Terrific first half which merited a goal, followed by a gutsy second half with a man down. If we can keep playing like this then we will start to move up the table, sooner rather than later.

The game was marred by (at least) two poor decisions from the ref. The sending off was unmerited - not even sure it was a booking - and swung the game in Man Us favour - something they didn't deserve. The ball was there to be won and both players went in with good robust challenges. I don't see why Shelvey should have been the one singled out for punishment.

It was encouraging to see the team play with a lot of energy and confidence. If they can keep this going into the next games then we should pick up points. I'd like to see a bit more variety in and around the penalty area rather than relying on a crosses from either side.The youngsters coming through look really good - we may need to make more use of them as the season progresses.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I think that's a very interesting stat and one that proves that this this shit form stretches back way further that this season.

Which is why we need to start turning it around and realising that BR is working on this. I can see plenty of postives but am under no illusions. When you have such terrible form there's a real rut and it's going to take alot of significant action to fully get out of that. We need to get our winning mentality back - it's unbelievable how luck starts to go you way when you've got the winning mentality.

It was very unfortunate that BR had such a brutal start (hard games) and we really should have beaten City and not lost today. But i still reason we can do an Arsenal this year and get stronger as the season goes along.
Having a winning mentality or not should have no difference on a referee doing his fucking job. I don't even know what a winning mentality means. I think all of the subs used were to win the game today. I think everything we did today was to win the game.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Having a winning mentality or not should have no difference on a referee doing his fucking job. I don't even know what a winning mentality means. I think all of the subs used were to win the game today. I think everything we did today was to win the game.
I agree, you can have the right mentality but what difference will it make if the referee has a blind mentality!

boogieonalice

TIA Regular

that's a bit ignorant.

Yes, BR's approach is possession, but he has been manager for 5 league games out of the 24 you have referenced. Are you blaming his tactics on the other 19 matches (where Kenny was on the bench)?

His style of play and approach to the future has an end-goal.
It is the middle of september.
Hodgson wasn't even called a failure at that point in his tenure, and he didn't even HAVE an approach.

in time his system will produce results. The performance of our youth mid-week proves that point.

i don't even really understand the point of your post. do you have any suggestions for BR?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Borini played his best game in a Liverpool shirt. Thought he finally turned the corner in terms of performance, I hope he isn't out too long. That was our best performance of the year so far, United looked like a lower division side in the first half. If we keep playing like that the results will start to go our way. The young players did well and good to see Suso on the bench and had his number called after Borini injury after a good performance in Europe. Looked calm and composed as always on the ball when he came on.

You can criticize the ref for not giving Evans the same treatment as Shelvey, but I don't think you can complain about Shelvey seeing red. He won the ball, but then he planted his foot on Evans thigh and the momentum of the tackle carried his left foot around in what looked in real time as a horrendous challenge. It is also not his first time involved in what did not look like a good tackle (in his career so far, not just this game). I think he went to the Scholes school of tackling. The penalty decision was terrible. Never a foul. Not a dive either, he just fell over, but never a penalty. When he blew his whistle I had no idea why. Wasn't even thinking about a possible penalty. Suarez will never ever get a penalty unless he stops throwing his hands up and embelashing the foul, but that was a clear pen for us as well. Terrible luck all day on what was our best performance so far this year in my opinion.