• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH THREAD: NORWICH 2-5 LIVERPOOL

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
this marks a new beginning! the youth stands out.... only negative... defending...

NZred

The Red From NZ
Will let everyone else praise the goals and play.

I am concerned about how woeful and error prone or defense, and in particular Skittles is. He is an accident waiting to happen.

Reina too is just fucking woeful. It's time he is dropped. Not rested, but dropped. He will cost us too many matches this season.

All in all, happy with the win, loving our midfield. Wish Suarez would turn around and give the Norwich fans the middle finger. Worried about our incredibly poor defending.

Bruce

TIA New Signing
The future is bright and red, very happy with the 3 points and even more with the performance. Our defence concerns me though.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
The two goals from slip ups in our defense flattered Norwich. Don't let the scoreline deceive you — Norwich suffered 'death from football' today.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I don't think we should express too much concern on the defence, we had won by then.... Delightful and fantastic always hoped this would be the day we started, so delighted for Rodgers and the team, can our fans take that chant on it seems to work for Suarez :p

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Only downsides a bit of slack defending, and the very worst penalty call I've seen for a long, long time. I fear Suarez is going to have to get stabbed in the 12 yard box before he gets anything.

Other than that, magic. Carrying on from the West Brom victory, the teams patient, possession football didn't give much chance to Norwich. Hopefully it's the start of a good run, that will propel us up the table.

Biggest laugh was the Norwich fans jeering Suarez all the the way to a hat trick. Thick fucks.

Good win and very happy for the Suarez hat-trick and assist esp after the chants by Norwich fans. But really do need to stop giving away silly goals. If I was Brendan I would be working on our defence all next week.

Also no surprise that another legitimate penalty was not given against Suarez. Really getting quite pathetic now. And meanwhile Halsey the twat tried his best over in London to try to make Man City drop points by giving away another non-existant penalty. Can they make it any clearer how corrupt they are?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I am concerned about how woeful and error prone or defense, and in particular Skittles is. He is an accident waiting to happen.

Reina too is just fucking woeful. It's time he is dropped. Not rested, but dropped. He will cost us too many matches this season.
Yup, bring on Jones. He is shit.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Suarez now PL (joint) top scorer.

Should've scored more.

Reina and Skrtel errors costly again.

Scoreline flatters Norwich.

Sahin is gonna be class.

Wisdom so composed.

Roll on next match.

Yup, bring on Jones. He is shit.
Jones was pretty good against WBA to be fair.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
guys... i dont wanna start a negative trend here... someone please praise the team too... sahin, sterling, gerrad n johnson were awesome! i think reina got carried away.... really happy for suso & wisdom... hopefully happy days ahead.... and wont say anything about my fav.... suarez i think the norwich city chants were enough for him "you know who you are" so true...

BrianLfc10

TIA New Signing
Suarez is fantastic when he has that slightly free roaming role going from middle to side to side.
Sahin is quickly becoming my favourite player this season, he is pure quality!

God I hope we sort that defence out though. Starting to consider Coates would be a much better suit that Skertl!

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Yeah baby.....this kind of result has been coming for a while

Slacked off a bit at 4 nil up but the game was won well and truly. Suarez wow play like that for us every week and we won't lose many games.

Great all round effort, the passing improves every game and some of the link up stuff tonight was truly outstanding, need to get 6 from the next two games and we will be back sniffing about the top 6. Hopefully we can really push on from here.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Suarez now PL (joint) top scorer.

Should've scored more.

Reina and Skrtel errors costly again.

Scoreline flatters Norwich.

Sahin is gonna be class.

Wisdom so composed.

Roll on next match.

Sahin looks better and better with each match. Really is a quality, skillful and techincally excellent player.

OhYaBeauty

Well then! Great win and great performance. Suarez MOTM, obviously. He should have had a penalty. Not only did the defender push him over on the shoulder, he also caught Luis' left leg. The refs must hate us. Fantastic finishing from Luis on the day, although it seems he still only ever likes to score the hard chances. We ought to keep track of Suarez's nutmeg-to-goal ratio. It's like he gets off on nutmegging defenders, which isn't a bad thing I guess. Its enjoyable to watch.

Suso and Sterling were both pretty good without being spectacular. Sterling drifted in and out of the game, but such is the life of a winger. Suso was great on the ball, but he had to cut infield and into space to make his passes. Played fantastic as a midfielder, but just OK as a winger. Assaidi still looks something special with his skills when he came on. I love that we finally have wingers that will take on their man. How long has it been?

Every touch Sahin makes looks like it belongs in a highlight reel. I can't wait to see the compilation of his touches because he's been sublime. Seems like he has such massive self belief he can do anything; control the ball any way he pleases. Allen was his usual self, quietly dependable in the middle of the pitch, doing everything right and flying under the radar. Gerrard swashed and buckled. Hendo continued his good form when he came on.

Questions need be asked about our defense, but not the fullbacks. Wisdom was good today even if he showed some inexperience and I think Glenda should be permanently moved to the left. How about that cheeky dribble just before he came off?! Excellent! The defense can use some work, but we have time for that. Hopefully Pepe improves too.

Those Norwich fans were a bit douchy. Suarez, again, gives them a fantastic show, plays a great game, and all they can do is jeer at him. Bad move; all they did was piss him off. I think Ruddy gave him some words of encouragement at one of the corner kicks because of it. Speaking of Ruddy, have to feel sorry for him. Three great strikes from Suarez that he couldn't possibly keep out and his defense really let him down.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I've always maintained that this game would be the start of our season so great start to the season. Highlight of the game for me was a move of about 50 passes which resulted in a Suarez shot narrowly wide of the post. Shows how far we've come.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We have been threatening to do this to a team for quite a while.

Anthony

Can't stop smiling......greta result and uplifting victory. Agree with all defensive comments too. Bring on Udinese :)

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I'm going to be relatively critical about our performance, so if you're not prepared for that please don't read this post. I will, of course, point out the obvious and say that I am absolutely delighted with the 3 points and the fairly dominant win. But I intend to keep that firmly in perspective, and these are the thoughts I had during the game:

Firstly, we are still not controlling the game. While this may be tolerable against Norwich (barely), it absolutely will not be against better teams. Our midfield tries to move the ball too quickly forward at times instead of controlling the tempo and setting the tone of the game to our terms. Also, lacking a proper ball-winner like Lucas means that our defense needs to provide additional cover to the back 4 by not allowing other teams to have the ball in midfield. Our pressing is good, but once teams get past the first wave of pressure they can often bring the ball right through us at the defense; I think we really need to focus on keeping the ball far better. Poor pass selection and errors in the midfield by trying to force the play will come back and hurt us. We play a high defensive line with attacking fullbacks and we owe it to them to make their jobs easier. It is no coincidence that we looked more solid once Henderson came on.

Secondly, we need our wide players to come into the middle when Suárez drops deep into the hole. On the back of today's performance, Rodgers may be justified with continuing to play Suárez there, but that means the wide forwards need to step up. Sterling and Suso lacked presence centrally, and once Assaidi came on he filled that gap. I expect Assaidi to take Sterling's spot in the PL XI now that he's fit. He + Suárez will be exciting to watch.

Thirdly, individual errors are still costing us. A lot of sloppy passing and unacceptable mistakes. Reina made a couple of enormous saves and then drops the ball for their first. Skrtel is only as consistent as his partner. We are too quick to go back to the keeper which puts pressure on the defense. We lost a lot of possession by our midfield/defense forcing Reina to kick long. This ties in with my first point: control the ball further up the field. Rodgers needs to drill into the players that there is no slackness allowed until the final whistle. Allen knows this already and stays mentally switched on all game.

I'm hoping that this win allows us to turn a corner mentally, but let's not get carried away. Norwich is astoundingly poor and we took advantage of that today. The next games against Stoke and Reading are going to be difficult and I'd like some things improved on in those games leading to the derby.

Edit: Praise in order for Suárez (he only scores worldies!), Wisdom, Suso, Sahin, and Johnson.

Nismo9

TIA Youth Team
Firstly, once again our defense is a concern. If we weren't on such flying form today then it could have cost us the win. Perhaps the brightest thing to take from last couple of matches is the youth in our team. All looked fairly solid today, Suarez needs to keep this up and hopefully he will. This win gives us much more than 3 points.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It was a really entertaining game. Norwich could have had 3 or 4 themselves. Suarez was different class and I really liked the way he reacted when he didn't get the most blatant penalty of the season. Just accepted it. No histrionics. In the long run he might start getting a few decisions in his favour if he carries on like that. Yep, shame we didn't keep a clean sheet. I think the mistake he made against City is playing on Skrtel's mind a bit. He seems incapable of doing anything other than passing it back to Pepe.

Best thing though were the performances of Suso, who was calmness personified, Wisdom who didn't put a foot wrong and Sterling, who after a quiet first half really enjoyed himself in the second. The future is bright with youngsters like that in the squad.

TTorroro

TIA Youth Team
Great overall play even though it seemed we cruise after Suarez made his hat trick. Lack of concentration seen and cost us second goal if I wanna nitpick. And nitpick I will. concentration and consummate control the entire match is hallmark of great side. They don't hibernate after 2 or 3 nil up. I spotted some slack triangle passing at after 80min with no one making runs to widen the triangle resulting inhenderson giving up the ball.

Anyway, good result against a decidedly poor Norwich defence. Am delighted at some touches n passes by Suso, late run n goal by sahin, an unusual clinical proficiency by Suarez (joint top scorer now methinks in league) . Sterling done ok or we'll enough, not quite hit the level displayed in his first few league games. Assaidi came on but his enthusiasm suffered as whole team decided to slow game down (rightfully) by then. Spotted usual questioning decision by wisdom like giving a throwin to a teammate closely marked by a opposing player but he will only get better with more games.

Again, undeniably good result n play overall we can only build on from here hopefully and do better and be consistent

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Team played well but as others mentioned our defense isn't on top form at the moment. I don't know if it's because we are holding an higher line or if they just aren't interchanging very well (when Agger goes forward maybe someone isn't falling back well enough etc) but either way we need to sort something out. Perhaps in this system a DM like Lucas really is needed. As for the rest of the game, i hope like hell Suarez keeps on taking his chances as well as today, Norwich defense wasn't good but a lot of our play was great to get through them. Nobody to moan about really, few silly mistakes but it didn't cost us this time and all the problems were defensive really.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Both keeper had one error each, WBA goal and that ridiculous clearance from Pepe. So kinda hard to pick Jones before Pepe since we know what this keeper can do for us.

Now, as for the game. Defensively we were quite bad. The whole team doesn't seem to know how to defend when the opponent pushes us back. That is a worry.

Sahin's movement and understanding with Suarez, Sterling and Suso is a bit of a shock to me. I don't expect these 4 to play well and move well with each other. We know how good that Turkish player can be. Already scored 3 goals. Lucas-Henderson-Allen are more alike, while Gerrard-Sahin are complimentary in the attacking front.

Still, not going to get ahead of ourselves. Defending is very weak.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
At last.Love the way the kids are playing, the team is showing signs of cohesion and confidence .
First training session next week, Brendan should just stand with Reina - while they watch the reserve keeper. See if he gets the hint.
We need to start subbing Skittles after about 75 minutes.
If it wasn't for the hat-trick, it would be hard to pick MOM
YNWA

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Jeez. We get our first win 5-2 and all anyone can do is whinge about our defence.
Well we'd like to continue winning, see? lol

I see your point, though, but rest assured none of the complaints I have are going to dent how happy I am for this win. You're right: Rodgers will sort it out. We've come so far already and have so far yet to go. We're on the cusp of something.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The FA need to all resign.

Luis is the best forward in the PL and one of the top 3 in the world right now.

Now we know that in addition to sorting out of striker issue, we must figure out a Steve Clark-like revamping of our defense.

Not suggesting we replace folks. There's lack of concentration and maybe, a bit too much "forced requirement" to not clear the ball, but to "play the ball".

What I think is happening is that our defenders and Pepe himself are a bit too worried about tiki taka'ing the ball, instead of playing "safety first". I think Martin again today tried to do a fancy block pass to a team mate and took risk. Just like our error last Sunday.

It almost needs an NFL like view of the defense and just concentrate on that unit, without worrying too much for the connection to the passing. If we continue to concede like we do, we won't even end up in the top half of the table (our average is 2 per game).