• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH THREAD: NORWICH 2-5 LIVERPOOL

Arminius

FSG PR plant
He and at least one team member were asking for a yellow on Suarez. The whole damn league knows you are allowed to get away with anything on Suarez. Rodgers should just schedule a weekly call with Riley until it is not painfully obvious to everyone.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
highly entertaining match and a cracking result! Had a feeling we'd win today and that our Magic Imp would play a star role! Another hat trick at Norwich(wonder if anyone placed a bet on him doing that?!).
some excellent passages of play and intricate passing, the confidence is coming back! We kept the ball for what seemed an eternity at times, was a joy to watch!
Suarez obviously MOTM, Sahin a close second. Good performances from Suso, Wisdom and Sterling. Skirts looked shaky at times, but our defense did look very vulnerable at times; which I'm sure Brendan and Co will sort out.
Pepe was unlucky with the Norwich opening goal. In the first half he was back to the Pepe we know and love, and really didn't do too much wrong in the second half. Henderson did OK when he came on, quietly going about his business now the pressure is off. We have much to look forward to!

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
Wonder what it's going to take for Suarez to be awarded a penalty...

Fair play to him for not even complaining about this horrible no call.
Described by the dickwit on the BBC site as "a clumsy Leon Barnett challenge."
In much the same way JFK was an accidental discharge of weapon.
The unprincipled thug is cocking his elbow two paces before he mugs Luis.
Not only a penalty, should have been a red card.
Wonder what that twat Lawrenson had to say about it.

YNWA

Barnestormer

Left wing.
^^^^^ This.

its fickign embarassing.

How do we get Mace Windu in at the FA because the twats that run it now have no sense of fairness or justice.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Can't say that I'm suprisied we won that comfortably. We should have won our matches against both Mancs team had it not been for poor decisons or defensive errors. If we can keep Suarez in this form, we should be up the table in no time. All round tho, the team deserves the accolades and the win especially when applying the brand of football BR has promised us.

Mistakes at the back are still a concern, but with much better possession, I don't see us having a blip against lower oppositions this year. We should be rolling over them and taking the big guns on. Hopefully we can make Anfield a fortress again. YNWA.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
Luis was just about to pull the trigger too. When will we get the satisfaction of ref's actually coming out and saying " I got this wrong" Because in my head I believe some refs make decisions like this and feel justified. Absolutley awful decision, bread and butter.

Gervinho's Forehead

Very pleased with the steady improvements we are showing game by game. Its early days, but things are looking incredible for the long term future. We have so many potential world beaters coming through at the same time.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
If anyone seriously believes that, should Nuri Sahin keep performing at this level, that Mourinho is going to be prepared to sell him to us at the end of the season - at any price, let alone one this stingy mob would pay- please PM me. I've got this really nice bridge down in Sydney you might be interested in buying.
YNWA

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
It could well be down to Sahin as well.Even though Mourinho rates him highly, he will have to compete against Xabi, Khedira, Modric, Ozil etc.There is a chance Essien could make his stay there permanent cause his papa there rates him highly and more so trusts him.
For Sahin then it would be an option of having to compete for starting place against that bunch compared to Allen, Steven(on a decline), Hendo, Lucas and Jonjo.I am pretty sure against which bunch he would fancy his chances.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
As pleased as I was at our great display, with its slick passing and clinical finishing, I think I have to be one of those that picks on the negative. I know we're still a work in progress but that's almost entirely in attack and midfield. Our defence, particularly our CBs, is not a work in progress and should not be conceding goals to a crap team like Norwich, particularly when we're dominating possession and taking them apart at the other end.

Apart from the increasingly unreliable Reina, the main culprit is obviously Skrtel. I wonder if BR is going to be so quick to criticize him in the press as he has done with Enrique and Downing? Not that I agree with that aspect of BR's approach. I get the feeling that Skrtel has got a little complacent after signing a new contract in the summer. He did sign, didn't he? Well, even if he didn't sign the club made it clear that they wanted him to stay which is the opposite signal some other players got, and are getting, so maybe he's relaxed just a bit too much now that he thinks he's safe. At the moment he kind of reminds of Rio Ferdinand at about the same age and the mistakes he made through lack of concentration. Wake up and tune in Martin!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Can't make any sense of what you mean to be honest. 67 % possession is Barca numbers. You will never have 100 % possession, and obviously the opposition will create also. This was an away game, we scored five times and passed the hell out of them. At this stage you really can't ask for much more than that - and I expect us to improve a lot throughout this season.
I know what he means. A lot of our possession was triangular passing between Reina and a couple of defenders without the defenders moving the ball forward. That kind of thing just invites trouble. One underhit pass and someone a lot pacier than Grant Holt could knick the ball and have a open goal at their mercy.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I know what he means. A lot of our possession was triangular passing between Reina and a couple of defenders without the defenders moving the ball forward. That kind of thing just invites trouble. One underhit pass and someone a lot pacier than Grant Holt could knick the ball and have a open goal at their mercy.
That just happened in the last 5-6 minutes.
My only issue with that was that they were overdoing it.Secondly the DM(Allen) wasn't providing himself enough to allow an outlet.
Don't think we did that for most of the match.Our possession stat was not made up with that.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
OK, maybe not "a lot", but certainly too much of it for my liking. It reminded me of one of the more unattractive aspects of our play back in 80's before the rule change on backpases. We were notorious for keeping possession in that way, particularly towards the end of games. Maybe BR's been watching games from the Hansen / Lawrenson era!

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
If anyone seriously believes that, should Nuri Sahin keep performing at this level, that Mourinho is going to be prepared to sell him to us at the end of the season - at any price, let alone one this stingy mob would pay- please PM me. I've got this really nice bridge down in Sydney you might be interested in buying.
YNWA
It will probably depend "a bit" on what Sahin wants and whether he will be starting for RM. Nowadays it is hard to force players to do anything they don't want.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Thought throughout the game we were sloppy in possession. Some brilliant passes but some needless stray passes as well. We were also lacking a more physical presence in the middle.

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
brilliant, brilliant result. This is the first time we saw the first-team really execute BR's philosophy. Young Boys & WBA proved that the youngsters were on-board, but until now, the senior players really haven't committed themselves to the tactics for an entire match. And the result was beautiful. I think it was 67% possession i saw...

Suarez, first off, potent. Two big misses in this game, but he recovered. His second was only moments after blowing a beauty of a chance. Finishing, clinical and precise. What was the nutmeg count for the day?

Andre Wisdom has impressed me immensely. Saw him for the first time in Boston and was surprised by his composure. The kid is a star. Strong, and technically talented. Loan Flanno out and keep him on board. Had a great week, after scoring with a thunder of a header at Young Boys.

Sahin & Allen at their best. God, we need to sign Sahin after this season. Love BR's thought to bring in loans. Our most recent gaffers have had a habit of splashing cash based on performances with other clubs, and while Rafa, Hodgeson, and KK overpaid for players who didn't last (albeit, Rafa scored some beauties, i.e. Torres, Reina, Xabi...). Sahin is on his way to prove without a doubt he can be successful in England, and with LFC. Fantasic grab.

Suso... the kid has spunk. Brilliant in creating the winner away to West Brom, and caused problems today. Performs well under pressure.

Also much relief to see Agger play the 90 and Borini on the bench after holding my breath all week...

3 points and sure signs the senior players are adapting; what more can you ask for!

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
great match and a great result.

i didn't write off the season when we lost all the games at the start, so i don't think it time to open up the bublie just yet.

the most important thing is consistancy. that was our main problem last year. let see how we do this season.

poor jonjo, untill he got his break and thought he cemented his place as a starter, along comes sahin...

Aldini98

TIA Regular
Manager has balls picking that line up. Kids getting rewards for good performances. 6 of our next 7 games in all comps are at home I think. Perfect opportunity to get a serious run together.

Muad

TIA New Signing
Sahin was brilliant in the last 2 games. Come Jan, we should start working on keeping him here permanently.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Got to be pleased with the performance and the obvious progress.Not a bad performance among them although Skrtle and Reina made blunders they both played well for the rest of the time.

huwzie

TIA Regular
Great result. Havent seen the goals yet because I've been working all weekend but can't wait to finish to watch it.

Positives are that the team seem to be adapting well to Rodgers passing game.

And a brave team selection. It's great that the youngsters are stepping up an making the transition to the first team easily under his stewardship. This is why i was positive about BR coming to us.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
YNWA
Don't think we ever did hear definitively whether or not there is a purchase clause - in the end I think it will come down to Sahin.

Just watched the MOTD highlights and good to see that in the analysis both the commentators and the host repeatedly said that Suarez should have been awarded a penalty and the same against Sunderland and Man Utd. Mick McCarthy said "if that wasn't a penalty then what is?" and the host then went on to say especially considering some of the other penalties given today- referring to another shocking decision by Mark Halsey to award Fulham a penalty against Man City.

It's so obvious to everyone the clear bias that referees have when officiating against certain teams/players but I bet nothing will come out of it and the likes of Mark Halsey/Phil Dowd/Howard Webb will continue to put in poor performances without any repercussions. Pathetic.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Really disappointed with the ................................naa I'm not! Well the defending could be better, so gutted to see us concede the 2nd goal. The passing still could be better but there were some great stuff too.

Suso had a good first half but it was the right decision to take him off in the 2nd. That through ball down the right channel for Suarez was sublime!
Wisdom did well, didn't get overexcited so didn't lead to rash tackles so a few of our young defenders. Still needs to provide more going forward but a great debut nonetheless.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Siggurdson would just block or be in the way or Shelvey more than Sahin if both were brought in. With Shelvey and even Suso depending where exactly Rodgers plays him, there was never a need for Siggurdson.
Well his goals from midfield would have been welcome and his dead-ball delivery; given that Sahin was already here when Ayre had been instructed to still go for Dempsey, no matter how incompitently, I seen no reason why we couldn't have accomidated Sahin and Siggy in the same team as they play in different areas of the pitch anyway, and most importantly BR rated him highy. Oh well.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
The youngsters are showing the oldies how to do it.
Downing, Cole and Enrique can go, but I think Brendan would have a job shifting these - even to Cash Converters at knock-down prices.
But hopefully, they'll go in January.

However, as good as our overall performance was, I'm quite pissed off at the two defensive mistakes that led to Norwich's 2 goals :

Pepe - I think a few games on the bench would do you the world of good.
When Dudek was having a torrid time, he really should have been dropped.
But with not credible back back up, that was really not possible.

I'm tempted to add that you could do with a slap in the face as well.

Martin Skrtel - you may have a NF haircut, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to use that organ that sits in your head.
Your backpass cost us the win v City, and yesterday, you let Holt ghost by you.
Sort out your shit, otherwise you could risk being Carra II (the shit version).

I'd like to see more of Assaidi and Yesil.
I think Stevie feels at ease with such good youngsters around him as well.
They are showing no fear.

Can't wait for next week now.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Just watched the MOTD highlights and good to see that in the analysis both the commentators and the host repeatedly said that Suarez should have been awarded a penalty and the same against Sunderland and Man Utd. Mick McCarthy said "if that wasn't a penalty then what is?" and the host then went on to say especially considering some of the other penalties given today- referring to another shocking decision by Mark Halsey to award Fulham a penalty against Man City.

It's so obvious to everyone the clear bias that referees have when officiating against certain teams/players but I bet nothing will come out of it and the likes of Mark Halsey/Phil Dowd/Howard Webb will continue to put in poor performances without any repercussions. Pathetic.
Perhaps that 'phone call to Old Mother Riley didn't help after all.
And what exactly a 4th official do at footie matches?
Didn't the eagle eyes of a 4th official get Zidane sent off in the World Cup Final?
So clearly, they have the authority to say to refs (I think that was a foul, penalty, etc).

But until Ferguson's memo that is given to all refs at the start of each season is discarded, then the only way we are going to get penalties, is if our players are scythed down in the area.

Anthony

I agree so much with several of the above posters in regards to the ref decisions. I also think that eventually they are going to be "forced" to change their stance, especially if Suarez reacts like he did (no sulking and no dramatics). I will say though that the media has to play its role and the more they report the "incident", the more it will force their chain of thought.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Rodgers has told Suarez not to claim peno's - smart move imo. It will only be a matter of time before he starts getting them again. Enjoyed the game, great to see Suarez netting, hope he can bang in 20 for us this season. Defensive problems seem to be more down to individual errors, something that will be hard for the manager to stamp out. The only thing he can do is drop Skrtl for Coates. Pepe is a class act, he's just having a bad run of form, he'll pick it up, I wouldn't fancy Jones in goal...

Stoke & Reading at home - I'm expecting 6 points from these games, if we go in against the bitters in form then it should be a great game considering how well they've started the season.

Also should say I'm looking forward to every game now, just so enjoyable to watch the team improving - something that I've not felt for a long while, seemed like a chore watching us the last couple of seasons.

Gervinho's Forehead

Thought throughout the game we were sloppy in possession. Some brilliant passes but some needless stray passes as well. We were also lacking a more physical presence in the middle.
I thought our ball retention was very good actually in this game. There are a few instances where 2 of our players pass their way thru 3 or more of theirs, in a small congested space ala Barca, I found that very exciting. It wasnt a perfect performance, but i thought our possession play was one of the better things. My only qualm with the game was that we conceded twice, both completely unnecessary. But hey, I'll take that every week if it means 3 points.