POST MATCH THREAD: NORWICH 2-5 LIVERPOOL

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
I saw the short highlights on youtube (about 2.5 minutes). Does anyone have any extended highlights? Id love to see Suso's contributions and all.

Gears

TIA Regular
That just happened in the last 5-6 minutes.
My only issue with that was that they were overdoing it.Secondly the DM(Allen) wasn't providing himself enough to allow an outlet.
Don't think we did that for most of the match.Our possession stat was not made up with that.
Right on.

Allen was keen on pushing forward in the last 10 minutes knowing that we had this game wrapped up.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ok few points I think need making:

1: We had the ball twice as much as a reasonably ok Premier league team in their own ground, that is awesome domination of the ball anyway you look at it so the boo boys should shush!

2: Scoreline flattered them, twice they were lucky not to have a man sent off for challenges on Suarez quite early and we should of had a penalty so 5 goals could of been more.

3: Reina is in bad form but still one of the best keepers in the world and except for one slip up was top class.

4: We only conceded because of muck ups by individuals. The system is starting to work fine both defensively and offensively its just maybe the personel who need working on now.

5: 6th league game under new manager why can't people just enjoy it for what it was? A fantastic team performance that showed the new managers philosophies aren't just all hot air and show that possibly we could be very good team again one day soon? Why all the doom and gloom "don't get carried away" and nitpicking? No team ever does EVERYTHING 100% right. Ever! Yesterday was about as good as it gets in competetive football against a team in same league just enjoy it and look to the future with cautious optimism.

5euros

TIA Legend
Going by a lot of the posts in here we mustn't have played Norwich off the park yesterday, scoring five goals in the process. Couple of defensive mishaps sure but nothing that can't be rectified over time. We have talented players in defence so that isn't an issue to be overly worried about. I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard the result yesterday. Norwich might have been poor but to complete 90% of our passes and comprehensively dominate any team away from home is very impressive. Suarez displayed why he is up there with the world's best. World class. He's not prolific, they said. Good to see Sahin continue on from midweek. Hopefully he continues to enjoy his football here and wants to stay. Good to get our first three points on the board. They've been a long time coming. Well deserved. Well done, Brendan and the lads.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I saw the short highlights on youtube (about 2.5 minutes). Does anyone have any extended highlights? Id love to see Suso's contributions and all.
I think there is compilation of Suso's contributions to the game in Broomy's 'five things we learned' thread.

Anfield rd Dreamer

One thought about yesterday I had that thought I'd share over the penalty call, I think it may turn out to be the best thing that could of happened. It happened at a time in a game that didn't cost us points. Because it was such an obviously terrible call it has drastically shifted public and media view point from "That Suarez dives all the time even when he is caught it shouldn't be given because he makes such a meal of it the ref can't trust him!" Now it is "That Suarez has a terrible reputation but he hasn't dived for ages and the refs have a vendetta against him every time he gets hacked they ignore it and the defenders are being awful lying to the refs and getting Suarez booked!" Refs can't ignore the fact Suarez is getting a rough deal anymore. The Sunderland and United incidents that the media glossed over at the time as "too fast" for the ref to judge or Suarez "making too much of it" are now being talked about as travesties against poor Suarez and linked to this one. Can't imagine Suarez will be ignored for too much longer the media are actually on our side over something for once.

Going by a lot of the posts in here we mustn't have played Norwich off the park yesterday, scoring five goals in the process. Couple of defensive mishaps sure but nothing that can't be rectified over time. We have talented players in defence so that isn't an issue to be overly worried about. I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard the result yesterday. Norwich might have been poor but to complete 90% of our passes and comprehensively dominate any team away from home is very impressive. Suarez displayed why he is up there with the world's best. World class. He's not prolific, they said. Good to see Sahin continue on from midweek. Hopefully he continues to enjoy his football here and wants to stay. Good to get our first three points on the board. They've been a long time coming. Well deserved. Well done, Brendan and the lads.
Would of been interesting seeing if their reactions had been better to a 3-0 win with the percentage domination than the 5-2!

Colin

TIA First Team
Really hope we keep our form up.

That was exhibition stuff. Players like Suso, Allen etc are so fucking comfortable on the ball. Then there's Sahin growing into an absolute monster. I love it. Last season it was Hendo and Spearing looking horrified every time the ball came close them, oh and Downing disgracing himself. This season we have young hungry lions with exceptional talent. I love love love it.

I also think Suarez is beginning to flourish with those guys behind him. We still lack firepower - no doubt about it - and it'll be evident in closer matches - but all is good.

Did i mention I love it? Because i do i do i do i do. Ooouuuuu!

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
My first away game.
Not a bad one for my first one. What a buzz.What a day.
Suarez, Suso, Sahin were quality when on the ball.
Wisdom was solid as a rock. Johnson was class too.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
I was watching this in Tokyo and I could not believer how dominant we were. Good job. Suarez showed the best and worst of his finishing in this match. But if he scores 3 for everytime he missed a sitter, I am ok with that. :lol:

gasband

One thing to note about Sahin though. He is a very good player, came pretty much only in the last 2 games but he seems very slow for a very young player, reminds me of players like Rivaldo, fantastic player but really slow. Such players tend to drift out ofgames if they are not dictating the tempo. In my opinion, he will be a great player for us if he is allowed to dictate the pace of the game in the middle of the park or he might just be overrun by opposing midfielders. And Suso looks good, maybe not showing that he can be world class yet but for a 18 yr old to play like this thrown into the first team, the only way is up.

rivers7

TIA New Signing
Suso´s first touch is maybe the softest of the whole squad. On par with Sahin certainly. If he was faster he could become world-class, but it seems his legs have gotten stronger cause he´s definitely running much faster than last season.

I´m pretty sure Henry & co are pretty pleased that we seem to have an exceptionally gifted youngsters coming through. Fits like a glove to their bluepring for the club. I know I am!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Have to agree with the others on here, that was the most 1 sided 50/50 possession game i've ever seen. As for them having the same amount of shots, more on target than us, well, i just can't see that either. The buildup to one of the goals alone had about 30 passes in it and a little after that i was listening to the crowd shouting for every pass we made (remember them laughingly booing when we misplaced it :-)
It wasn't 50/50 possession. Rather 67/33 according to opta stats.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
One thing to note about Sahin though. He is a very good player, came pretty much only in the last 2 games but he seems very slow for a very young player, reminds me of players like Rivaldo, fantastic player but really slow. Such players tend to drift out ofgames if they are not dictating the tempo. In my opinion, he will be a great player for us if he is allowed to dictate the pace of the game in the middle of the park or he might just be overrun by opposing midfielders. And Suso looks good, maybe not showing that he can be world class yet but for a 18 yr old to play like this thrown into the first team, the only way is up.
Fast enough to get an assist and a goal. Alonso not really a flash-Gordon, but the dude has the skill to retain and get the ball out to his team mates. Moving the ball forward with a quick pass is what we have been missing, rather than passing the ball among the defenders and midfield. That has been happening since 2009. We signed Adam hoping to get that, but Adam lack the technical skill Sahin possess.

gasband

Fast enough to get an assist and a goal. Alonso not really a flash-Gordon, but the dude has the skill to retain and get the ball out to his team mates. Moving the ball forward with a quick pass is what we have been missing, rather than passing the ball among the defenders and midfield. That has been happening since 2009. We signed Adam hoping to get that, but Adam lack the technical skill Sahin possess.
I agree, that is why I think he needs to be the one dictating the pace, he can be fast or slow, depending how he sees the play but I do notice in my opinion that he can drift out of the play when he is not into the game. But he is definitely a great player, a player with flair and abilities will always find ways to get into the game. He is by no means perfect yet but I think, if we could get him permanently, in another seasons or so, he will be massive.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
It wasn't 50/50 possession. Rather 67/33 according to opta stats.
Thanks Hope, i was being a bit sarcastic about the BBC stats, did they get every games stats wrong or was there just a problem on this one. I noticed on MoD that they showed 50/50 and Hansen and co never mentioned it was wrong. It gave the impression of a fairly even game when it was nothing like that

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Thanks Hope, i was being a bit sarcastic about the BBC stats, did they get every games stats wrong or was there just a problem on this one. I noticed on MoD that they showed 50/50 and Hansen and co never mentioned it was wrong. It gave the impression of a fairly even game when it was nothing like that
Their data feed crashed, no idea why they showed 50/50 but even their points tables were off.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Also it said it was 2-0 when I checked the score at the point when it was 5-1 on Sky.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Yeah, as i said, i was being sarcastic about it. Still think they should have mentioned it on MoD though, for some people thats all they knew about the game and the stats made it look like an even game

LeoT

Loved the way Suarez scored just when the Norwich fans were singing that anoying "We know what you are" song.
I know what he is; he's an absolute superstar.

We saw the best of his finishing and the worst of his finishing in a 1 minute spell.

I thought Allen Gerrard & Sahin did well in central mid-field again.
Can't wait till Shelvey and Lucas are back then we could rest the whole mid-field for Cup games and still have quality players on the pitch.
Also, i think being in Europa is not all bad.
If we didn't have Europa games then we would not have been able to get Sahin match fit. Suso, Pacheco and Shelvey would probably have gone out on loan this season. Wisdom would not have been ready to play in the premiership.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Out of curiosity, do you know the discrepancy between the BBC's stats and Opta's stats? Are they collated differently?
I have no idea, but it's obviously not the same database. Those stats of the bbc were published at the same time than the opta stats on the club's official site, and the opta stats tend to be more accurate.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Re: Sahin, while he'll never be referred to as a pacy player, he is still quicker than what we've seen so far. Granted, he's been quick in attacking movement, but you can still see that he's conserving his energy at times off the ball. I'm still not sure that he's at 100% fitness, as he was a bit more energetic with BVB Dortmund as I remember, so I think he'll be more aggressive in future games.

Was nice to watch a game where I actually felt sorry for the other team (the keeper at least). Been a while (since Brum in 2011, really).

I think when Suarez has to think about what he's going to do, he misses his shots. When he's operating off instinct, he's in top form. Same with Pepe Reina. But when confidence is down, u second guess yourself. Note when Suarez stole the ball from the CB and outside footed it, it was all within seconds. Similar to many of Reina's saves, where the ball comes from nowhere. When it's a 1 v 1 and Reina has time to think or try to fake out the player, that's when he lets himself down

Those Norwich fans were a bit douchy. Suarez, again, gives them a fantastic show, plays a great game, and all they can do is jeer at him. Bad move; all they did was piss him off. I think Ruddy gave him some words of encouragement at one of the corner kicks because of it.
lol i noticed that as well...wondering what Ruddy said to him and I think you're likely spot on