• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Villa v Liverpool (EPL 2/11/2019 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson (GOAL 87’)

Votes: 72 48.0%
  • Lallana

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Salah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Mane (GOAL 90+4’)

Votes: 104 69.3%
  • Origi (on 65’)

• Oxlade-Chamberlain (on 65’)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keita (on 84’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilkored08

And we thought what Skrtel did was bad.

------
There was contact for sure, he went down easily but salah didn't a few minutes later when he was held back and there's no mention of it anywhere. You don't get decisions unless you go down so what's the fcking alternative!???
This act of trying to run whilst having your foot stood on is now classed as diving according to VAR and the frightened Mr pep...look at your own first..Aguero! Silva!...ooooh dear is this the start of the slag off LFC mind games.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Wow.
Tried last minute and couldn't get a working stream.
Followed it on Gillette SS and feared the worst with 10 minutes to go.

Have watched it since, and have to say we weren't great, but winning while not playing well is something you need to do to win titles.

Bring on next Sunday

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Ridiculous thing in Firmino's case, is it is not even the Referee's decision. The Linesman raised his flag and the Referee not on the field, Atkinson, decided it was correct. How can that be? Anthony Taylor has to be the one reviewing the video and decide whether the Linesman call is correct. How can they let another referee decide on something so key? It blurs the absolute authority of the main referee. What idiots.....
And the rule used to be for offsides if in doubt give benfit to the attacking player

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Well thank Christ we won that as the VAR thing would have robbed us otherwise. Our goal looked onside to me and there one did not. I would have accepted it if they called both onside. But, it just looks like pure bias otherwise. Supposedly, the offside rule was the one rule VAR could get right.
Well, why leave a human make the decision for offside? We have goal line technology. Why not use that and have the computer draw the offside line? At least, that way, we get consistency. It would have been completely unfair if we lost today.
Agree with ours, but there man was also well onside for their goal

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
We had 3 very clear penalty shouts. Two were not even reviewed by VAR. And thats aside from Salah being cotheslined.
Firminos goal should have stood.

On The Mane penalty shout.....a good ref (not Moss) knows it will be reviewed and waits to serve yellow card. A twat gives the card, knowing his mate with the camera will support him. If Delofeu gets a pen, then so should Mane. And no yellow.

Atkinson makes two significant incorrect decisions. And overlooks three very probable penalty shouts. The incorrect decisions are not even debatable. Even Andy fucking Gray talked about the horrendous offside decision.

These decisions could have cost us three points, but Liverpool won so dont make noise about it. Be honourable and pretend the playing pitch is even.

But, it cost us last season. And unless Liverpool officially report the likes of Atkinson it will continue.
Suarez biting didnt cost points. Terry being racist, Suarez vs Evra didnt cost points. Fines and suspensions.
Atkinsons behaviour yesterday could have cost us the league, and it can no longer go unchecked.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I'm assuming 'armpit' is how they differentiate between body and arm for offsides? In which case I don't think there can be too many complaints about the Firmino offside. Villa guy well onside as well.

Handball pisses me off though.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Mané went down when the defender trod on his foot and tripped him up. That could haave been a penalty!
I think there is definite contact; Guilbert rakes Mané's right ankle:

Maybe the contact was insufficient to cause Mané to go down in such a dramatic manner, but if he doesn't go down, there wouldn't be any chance of a pen.

And anyone who claims there is no contact, or that Mané deserved a card, must be as blind, or as biased, as atkinson.

sabbatwolf

TIA Youth Team
I'm assuming 'armpit' is how they differentiate between body and arm for offsides? In which case I don't think there can be too many complaints about the Firmino offside. Villa guy well onside as well.

Handball pisses me off though.
The question here is can a player legally manipulate the ball with his armpit?

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
You've got to remember that it was Martin Atkinson drawing the (bendy) lines for the offside decisions.
Was it him drawing the lines though? I have seen a video where the developer explains about the software they use and apparently the lines appear automatically. I'll see if I can find it. I bet all the VAR ref does is look at the screen. Pretty sure he doesn't manipulate it at all.

Click the Watch On Youtube link

Last edited:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

Maybe the contact was insufficient to cause Mané to go down in such a dramatic manner, but if he doesn't go down, there wouldn't be any chance of a pen.

And anyone who claims there is no contact, or that Mané deserved a card, must be as blind, or as biased, as atkinson.
Just as in the days where Suarez was judged by his previous indiscretions, so too is Mane now. I wouldn't say his leg was 'raked' though. Contact with foot stood on. Mane massively simulated the contract and that's likely why it wasn't paid. I don't think it should count in the decision making, but how an attacker accentuates contact plays a big part in whether it's called these days unfortunately.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member

Honest question...would you be saying exactly the same if it was Lovren on Kane or indeed Lovren on a player from any other club but ours? You might have accepted that Kane deserved a penalty but I suspect you would have been in the minority on here. I would have been calling "Dive".

The problem with going down like that is that he now has that stigma and that will do him and us no favours in future.

Last edited:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Was it him drawing the lines though? I have seen a video where the developer explains about the software they use and apparently the lines appear automatically. I'll see if I can find it. I bet all the VAR ref does is look at the screen. Pretty sure he doesn't manipulate it at all.

There is no way the lines are drawn manually. Each camera is likely calibrated for angle from one side of frame to the other to ensure camera distortions are accounted for. And then the height and position of camera to account for vertical distortions. We've seen how the VAR ref drags the vertical line to find the edge of the attacker and defender bodies. That's pretty much all they are capable of doing. It's not like it's even the refs doing this anyway. It would be whichever techs are controlling it.

People saying Atkinson fudged VAR lines are talking out of their arse. For a start, Atkinson is next level incompetent. There's no way he could fudge any system.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I think it was Bobby's **** that was offside. Martin Atkinson being the morally correct person that he is, changed it to armpit. Coz you can't say a person's **** is offside in live TV. The kids would be watching you know.
So its a correct decision and PL backing him is correct to.
PS to Martin Atkinson - next time use Bobby teeth to disallow goals. It's too sparkly, blinds the opponent GK and prevents him from saving.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Honest question...would you be saying exactly the same if it was Lovren on Kane or indeed Lovren on a player from any other club but ours? You might have accepted that Kane deserved a penalty but I suspect you would have been in the minority on here. I would have been calling "Dive".

The problem with going down like that is that he now has that stigma and that will do him and us no favours in future.
If it had happened to kane, moss would have given the pen in a heartbeat.

Flobs

FADA

Studs raked his ankle, it probably hurt. How does one react to being hurt?
In slow mo there is nothing 'unnatural' in the way Mané goes down or shouts in pain. Just look at the reaction of the defender it's classic I caught him, didn't mean to. The fact is it's done!
I can get that rfs don't wish to be duped and that's fine however I feel there needs to be explainations and even apologies. Here I think rectrospectively Mané yellow should be officially recinded. It's time the FA/League took some responsibility because this is starting to get toxic.

Flobs

FADA

No way can the lines appear automatically. There needs to be a manipulation somewhere and on my match broadcast you can see the lines being manipulated. The manipulator changed the part of the body used for Firmino at least 5 times and for the AV goal at least 3.
Also from one camera angle it is not possible to get the line correct even with the most advanced software it can only be an approximation.
Emmanuel Peyit has been saying ex-players should be involved so an realistic içnterpretation can be had. Though Shearer should be exempt from that he's a wanker.

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
#1. These games not doing any good for my heart. Why couldn't they do these 10-15 years ago.
#2. AOC is getting back to sharpness, oh golly
#3. Feel sorry for Villa, they really tried.
#4. I'm afraid Pep hit someone tonight, he can't pull out his hairs, can he ;)
Can, he still has his beard, mustache and also eyebrows, eyelashes. :LOL: