POST MATCH: Watford v Liverpool (EPL 24/11/18 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold (one f*cking magnificent goal)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Henderson (sent off 78')

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Shaqiri (off 75')

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Salah (off 80'); one goal

• Firmino (off 89'); one goal

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Milner (on 75')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho (on 80')

• Matip (on 89')

• and...

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Lovren (the forgotten man)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Werder4life

Scrappy working man's match with three moments of brilliance. 3-0. Didn't look like it at all but I take that any day as a birthday present.
Motm hard to choose because everybody put their shift in but nobody truely had a very good day. Give it to Andy again for that magnificent "I don't give a shit" run leading up to the third goal. Andy lightning Robertson - the man.
Allisson , Virgil and Dejan had a good grip on things at the back at a time I feared Watford could nick one from a break.
And Trent kind of eradicated every critisism today with that freekick. Yea , he still looked shaky with a bit heavy touch , but when he needed a light foot , he did it. What a screamer.
Bobby's throughball to release Sadio was the other brilliant thing tonight. This front three might still not be firing - but as long they are on the pitch the opposition has every reason to shit themselves, since they just need one moment of clicking and that's that.

Weired thing is that it feels we just survived another day in the title race , since those stubborn sky-blue buggers refuse to slip up...

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I see this match as an opportunity for everyone to slate Henderson for the card. Let's keep this in perspective, folks.

He does the thankless tasks well, in one of the toughest roles on the pitch as he has to play both ways. I am sure in hindsight Jurgen wishes he would have subbed him off but now we get to run him out in Paris...

Keep it civil folks, he IS our captain

jabu

TIA New Signing
Scrappy working man's match with three moments of brilliance. 3-0. Didn't look like it at all but I take that any day as a birthday present.
Motm hard to choose because everybody put their shift in but nobody truely had a very good day. Give it to Andy again for that magnificent "I don't give a shit" run leading up to the third goal. Andy lightning Robertson - the man.
Allisson , Virgil and Dejan had a good grip on things at the back at a time I feared , Watford could nick one from a break.
And Trent kind of eradicated every critisism today with that freekick. Yea , he still looked shaky with a bit heavy touch , but when he needed a light foot , he did it. What a screamer.
Booby's throughball to release Sadio was the other brilliant thing tonight. This front three might still not be firing - but as long they are on the pitch the opposition has every reason to shit themselves, since they just need one moment of clicking and that's that.

Weired thing is that it feels we just survived another day in the title race , since those stubborn sky-blue buggers refuse to slip up...
They will slip up, have faith!!

C

Caradoc

We earned that result by being patient. Our quality showed through in the end.

Which is why Henderson should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. He let his side down today. That is not a characteristic of a good captain. I don’t care how frustrated he was or wasn’t we were winning, we were starting to cruise and he very nearly threw the initiative back to the opposition out of sheer stupidity. The lad’s overall game might even benefit from having the responsibility of captaincy lifted off him. I really like Jordan, but this needed to be said and now I’ll leave it there.

As for the rest of the side well I think the biggest positive by far is that they got the job done against a good, well organised, stubborn, dangerous side on their own ground and in the end they did it with something to spare. Make no mistake, this was a very good result indeed!

Oh and van Dijk was simply off the scale ..... !

Last edited by a moderator:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
I see this match as an opportunity for everyone to slate Henderson for the card. Let's keep this in perspective, folks.

He does the thankless tasks well, in one of the toughest roles on the pitch as he has to play both ways. I am sure in hindsight Jurgen wishes he would have subbed him off but now we get to run him out in Paris...

Keep it civil folks, he IS our captain
I completely agree with this. Its very very unfair to abuse him. The moment got the better of him. Happens to everyone. Hopefully, he will learn from this and become a better player for us.

Commando

Three goals and a clean sheet away from home, can’t ask for more. Watford were obstinate opponents with 10 men behind the ball, and showing no initiative to do anything unless presented with a mistake.

These types of games have been difficult for us in previous years, but we now play in a controlled manner in which we will continue pushing for the breakthrough without getting flustered.

Salah opened the scoring again with a crucial goal, which deflated Watford’s plans. TAA with a nicely taken freekick, which should boost his confidence, as he has not been at his best in the last few games.

The only downside was the sending off. Henderson was on a yellow and had just been given a last warning by Moss a minute or so before his stupid shoulder challenge, which the Watford player made the most of. Jordan was clearly losing the plot and getting flustered in the preceding 10 minutes, as he was angry Moss was continuously calling him up for foul when Watford were doing the same to him and getting away with. Although Klopp should expect Henderson to keep his control, with two goals up, and Watford throwing on all their strikers, it was a perfect opportunity to introduce Fabinho or Kieta to replace Henderson.

Having said that, before the doubters come on and slag Henderson, I want to say that Henderson carries out Klopp’s plans perfectly, and that’s why he gets the nod over some people’s favourite players. He distributes the ball well, and hassles players off the ball. We have enough midfielders to rotate in the next few games.

The third goal was a nice run and evading challenge by Robertson, and Firmino heading in after a smart save by Foster from Mane. VVD won every header defensively, and showed good turn of pace when chasing back. A huge player for us both metaphorically and physically.
A tough win, but totally deserved. On to Wednesday in Paris.
Right before Hendo's first booking Success nearly had the shirt off him, ripping it in the process. Just before the foul which the liner gave and Moss had a word with Hendo he was fouled as he jumped for a header and had nothing given. It's easy for us fans to say Hendo should have kept his head but he had so much go against him today. The second yellow was a nothing challenge.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
TAA was clearly practicing a lot on the training pitch for his free kicks. What a superb freekick from him. Just wow.

About Klopp: Obviously after the break, he made a slight tactical tweak. He simply pushed Firmino forward where he is at his most effective. Today, it got him one key pass and one goal. Good on him for that.

However, he should have hooked off Hendo for Keita who is very rusty by now. That few precious minutes would have allowed him to stretch his legs better.

As for Hendo, it is very clear that he just do not have the temperament or the ability to be the captain. Apparently, the last guy who held the armband full-time had both in spades.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
We got to be patient , get those wins and hope for city to slip up. Might be December 8th when they play Chelsea. Be good enough to capitalize on them slipping up. I refuse to believe that city won't slip up. They can't be playing that well week in and week out. If they do, win the league unbeaten , then full credit to them.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
I am telling you, just watch Mane. Last year and the year before he was very direct. That scared the shit out of defenders. Today for the first goal, i saw the old mane. He needs to be direct and goals will come for him.

LS12Red

I'm so happy for Bobby, great ball for Sadio for the first, gets the free kick for our second and scores the third after amazing run from Robbo. Thought we were poor first half but second half was much much better, especially when Watford realised they were going to have to come at us when they conceded. That red card was coming for Hendo, only disappointment today

T.C.B

Having a player who is a real goal threat from a direct free kick is a massive bonus. I hope Klopp and his staff get TAA doing plenty of practice because it will pay off in tight games.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
So, who's MoM? The goalscorers weren't really the best on the pitch today, although decisive in key moments. Especially TAA scored a beauty at an important moment, but he was off his game for long parts, especially in the first half. Salah, Firmino? Not for me. Shaqiri? Played some good stuff in the first half, but unfortunately for him, his team-mates weren't on the same line than him.

For me, it's a tussle between Gini and VVD. The former took up the physical battle in midfield and coped well with it, much better than Hendo, who clearly isn't at 100% yet and had to make up for it with his usual enthusiasm and (over-)commitment. This is understandable to be fair, so I wonder why Klopp didn't take him off at some point in the second half.

VVD was a giant at the back and broke up almost everything Watford was trying to do in the box. He was magnificent, and also very well helped out by Lovren.

In the end, I'll go with VVD. Our ability to keep the nil at the back was the decisive factor allowing us to pounce when Watford started to tire down a bit, and space started to open up for our forwards. In the end, victory was entirely deserved for our lads, even though Watford made a match of it for a long time.

A comprehensive three nil away win at in-form Watford, on the back of an international break, with John Moss the referee. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is! :well done:

Commando

Allisson , Virgil and Dejan had a good grip on things at the back at a time I feared Watford could nick one from a break.
Bobby's throughball to release Sadio was the other brilliant thing tonight. This front three might still not be firing - but as long they are on the pitch the opposition has every reason to shit themselves, since they just need one moment of clicking and that's that.

Happy Birthday @Werder4life

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Having a player who is a real goal threat from a direct free kick is a massive bonus. I hope Klopp and his staff get TAA doing plenty of practice because it will pay off in tight games.
TAA , Shaqs are superb in Free kicks. Milner is best for penalties.

SithBaare

TAA , Shaqs are superb in Free kicks. Milner is best for penalties.
Wouldn't say TAA is superb in freekicks , he misses a lot too for my liking. But he's scored some blinders and this was one.

Shaq and TAA should be the regular freekicks takers for Liverpool. Both aren't in the coutinho class but then coutinhos got probably the best right foot in the biz today.

Commando

TAA was clearly practicing a lot on the training pitch for his free kicks. What a superb freekick from him. Just wow.

About Klopp: Obviously after the break, he made a slight tactical tweak. He simply pushed Firmino forward where he is at his most effective. Today, it got him one key pass and one goal. Good on him for that.

However, he should have hooked off Hendo for Keita who is very rusty by now. That few precious minutes would have allowed him to stretch his legs better.

As for Hendo, it is very clear that he just do not have the temperament or the ability to be the captain. Apparently, the last guy who held the armband full-time had both in spades.
I remember seeing "the last guy who held the armband full-time" sent off in the 08 Anfield derby for two yellows. One was for kicking the ball away. He was also sent off against Manure at Anfield after thirty something seconds.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Groggy performance post international break as per usual - but a sweet scoreline. Nice to see Mane getting an assist - and he tried plenty of throughballs too.

Its always good to get the bad performance out of the way and still win!

Next game, lets go!

C

Caradoc

I remember seeing "the last guy who held the armband full-time" sent off in the 08 Anfield derby for two yellows. One was for kicking the ball away. He was also sent off against Manure at Anfield after thirty something seconds.

Yes but as with everything else when Stevie does something on a football pitch he does it better than anyone else .... ! :well done:

SithBaare

This. I'd lay off criticism for Jordan Henderson. People make mistakes and hendo made one. The tackles weren't malicious but rather over enthusiastic and repeated mistakes. The actual tackle which got him sent off wasn't a yellow card in my book

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I completely agree with this. Its very very unfair to abuse him. The moment got the better of him. Happens to everyone. Hopefully, he will learn from this and become a better player for us.
No offence. If you get a red card against citeh, Manure, blueshite, chavs or even the fucking gooners, we get that the high-stakes occasion could've gotten to the player as the player may want to win it for the team. But against a watford team who is down 2 goals to us and ripe for the taking with our famed counter-attacking game, how can we simply absolve Jordan Brian Henderson who is suppose to be the calmest of all heads for stupidly getting a red card about 10 mins to go with extra-time?

Was it for a team who is down a goal or two? Absolutely not! What we see is just a personal outburst whom he failed spectacularly to keep in control. Once a player takes on-field officiating decisions personally, he has failed as a professional player at that moment.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Wouldn't say TAA is superb in freekicks , he misses a lot too for my liking. But he's scored some blinders and this was one.

Shaq and TAA should be the regular freekicks takers for Liverpool. Both aren't in the coutinho class but then coutinhos got probably the best right foot in the biz today.
There is a certain #7 that may disagree with you on that.

macca1970

No offence. If you get a red card against citeh, Manure, blueshite, chavs or even the fucking gooners, we get that the high-stakes occasion could've gotten to the player as the player may want to win it for the team. But against a watford team who is down 2 goals to us and ripe for the taking with our famed counter-attacking game, how can we simply absolve Jordan Brian Henderson who is suppose to be the calmest of all heads for stupidly getting a red card about 10 mins to go with extra-time?

Was it for a team who is down a goal or two? Absolutely not! What we see is just a personal outburst whom he failed spectacularly to keep in control. Once a player takes on-field officiating decisions personally, he has failed as a professional player at that moment.
So, I suppose every player who has ever played football at pro level has failed................