• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Watford v Liverpool (EPL 24/11/18 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold (one f*cking magnificent goal)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Henderson (sent off 78')

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Shaqiri (off 75')

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Salah (off 80'); one goal

• Firmino (off 89'); one goal

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Milner (on 75')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho (on 80')

• Matip (on 89')

• and...

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Lovren (the forgotten man)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnoleary

im not a henderson knocker,think he shows a lot of grit when he plays,something that we dearly miss,and something i think we should be looking for in the transfer window,but he does lose his head on occassions and i really think van dijk should be captain without any doubt.

johnoleary

Some of the posters on this thread need to have a good think about what it means to support a club. We won a tough away game, we are unbeaten in the league and second in the table but quite a few people just want to come on here and rehash their anti Henderson agenda. He’s our captain for fucks sake. If this is how you support us when things are going well then how will you be when it gets tough ?
as i say in a previous thread,im not a henderson knocker hes been a good servant with the clubwithout in my view being anything special,yes he was unlucky with the yellow,but thats football isnt it,by losing his head a bit,and he was only spoken to a couple of mins before the second foul,he was very unprofessional,hes always been a bit like that and as ive already said he shouldnt be captain.

Redsi73

Some of the posters on this thread need to have a good think about what it means to support a club. We won a tough away game, we are unbeaten in the league and second in the table but quite a few people just want to come on here and rehash their anti Henderson agenda. He’s our captain for fucks sake. If this is how you support us when things are going well then how will you be when it gets tough ?
TBF he had a pretty bad game and whilst i don't like the anti agenda stuff his performances are below par. Being captain doesn't give him a free ride of exemption from criticism.

Should have been hooked after the first booking, because after that he became a frustrated and angry liability.

johnoleary

A good result again with an average performance against a decent side at their best,i do think we were a little fortunate with their penalty appeal against robertson,hard to tell if there was any contact,but my first thought was "OH SHIT" i think that would have been given in a lot of games.

C

Caradoc

I’ve supported this club for over 50 years so I don’t need any lessons from you (or anyone else for that matter) on how to support them. I have no anti-Henderson agenda and I doubt very much the vast majority of posters who criticised Henderson for getting sent off do either. If I decide it is justified for me to criticise Henderson for getting sent off in the way that he did I will go ahead and do it with or without your approval. :well done:

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
TBF he had a pretty bad game and whilst i don't like the anti agenda stuff his performances are below par. Being captain doesn't give him a free ride of exemption from criticism.

Should have been hooked after the first booking, because after that he became a frustrated and angry liability.
I agree he’s not immune from criticism but I think in his case it’s disproportionate to both his performance and compared to what other players get. Hendo plays with passion and commitment, that’s enough for me.

Wilkored08

And what’s more the first card was ridiculous and a free kick was given against him when it should have been the other way round his shirt was torn off but the person we should be mad at was that useless ref granted Hendo lost his rag but anyone would have done this situation happened several times without any cards being shown to Watford players.
Apparently TV pundit said Hendos 2nd foul not a yellow card....praps he's trying too hard to prove himself...

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I am telling you, just watch Mane. Last year and the year before he was very direct. That scared the shit out of defenders. Today for the first goal, i saw the old mane. He needs to be direct and goals will come for him.
Yep, if he concentrates more on that and less on trying to shield the ball and falling over to try and draw the foul, we will see mnore of the Mane of old. I'm undecided if he may have lost a bit of pace or it just appears that way from his lack of directness this season.

C

Caradoc

Yep, if he concentrates more on that and less on trying to shield the ball and falling over to try and draw the foul, we will see mnore of the Mane of old. I'm undecided if he may have lost a bit of pace or it just appears that way from his lack of directness this season.

He seemed to lose his confidence when the goals didn’t come early last season and went into his shell a bit which made the situation even worse for him. I’m not sure that he’s fully recovered his confidence in his own incredible ability at taking defences on directly and at pace since then.

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Agreed. Also the nonsense about Klopp's in management is just idiotic.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Probably a manc city, manc united or chelsea fan. Dont you just love these types who say the score 'flattered' us yet when united, chelsea or even arsenal before used to grind out such results, or 1-0's in arsenal's case, they were described as true champions in the making, blah, blah, blah.
We deserved to win as Watford had no real interest in attacking but up to when we scored we weren't really looking like we were going to do anything. A 3-0 away win might look impressive but it wasn't like we were battering them to death so in someways ya it was a bit of a flattering score

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Really liked that performance. Very controlled and patient. We needed to be because they are a decent team at home, play very narrow and were set up to frustrate us. Took a bit of time to work them out but we started to create chances just before half time and I always felt we'd break through eventually. Once we did it was game over. This isn't us playing in second gear, or winning ugly or even us not playing well. This is how we now play. Keep it tight, get in front and shut the game down. It's a much more sustainable way of playing and it's more likely to result in us winning things. Long may it continue.

I am made up for TAA. Young local lad living the dream. Getting a lot of unnecessary stick. That free kick was absolute class. Robertson was very close to my MOM vote. That run for the third goal epitomises his approach. Last minute of the game and he's desperate to get forward. His game is on another level this season. VVD just edged it for me though. Our defensive record this season is ridiculous. A third of the season gone and only five conceded. This is now a seriously hard team to break down and when teams do get through there's a keeper who you can rely on to make big saves.

This was a very tough fixture after an international break but we made it look routine. City have won again obviously but Pep will be seriously pissed off that we are not going away. Just need to hang on in there.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
im not a henderson knocker,think he shows a lot of grit when he plays,something that we dearly miss,and something i think we should be looking for in the transfer window,but he does lose his head on occassions and i really think van dijk should be captain without any doubt.
If there was any game I'd want Henderson to play then it would be the derby against Everton so I think he'd really fucked us over with his stupidity

Wilkored08

Really liked that performance. Very controlled and patient. We needed to be because they are a decent team at home, play very narrow and were set up to frustrate us. Took a bit of time to work them out but we started to create chances just before half time and I always felt we'd break through eventually. Once we did it was game over. This isn't us playing in second gear, or winning ugly or even us not playing well. This is how we now play. Keep it tight, get in front and shut the game down. It's a much more sustainable way of playing and it's more likely to result in us winning things. Long may it continue.

I am made up for TAA. Young local lad living the dream. Getting a lot of unnecessary stick. That free kick was absolute class. Robertson was very close to my MOM vote. That run for the third goal epitomises his approach. Last minute of the game and he's desperate to get forward. His game is on another level this season. VVD just edged it for me though. Our defensive record this season is ridiculous. A third of the season gone and only five conceded. This is now a seriously hard team to break down and when teams do get through there's a keeper who you can rely on to make big saves.

This was a very tough fixture after an international break but we made it look routine. City have won again obviously but Pep will be seriously pissed off that we are not going away. Just need to hang on in there.
We're obviously getting under his skin or into his mind....keep going lads.!!!

C

Caradoc

And what’s more the first card was ridiculous and a free kick was given against him when it should have been the other way round his shirt was torn off but the person we should be mad at was that useless ref granted Hendo lost his rag but anyone would have done this situation happened several times without any cards being shown to Watford players.

At this level in any team sport, whether that be football, rugby union or any other, you have to learn to play to the referee. You may not agree with him but he decides and taking him on is only going to end one way. If Jordan, as a very experienced professional player and team captain, can’t accept that and keep his head then I think we may have problems moving forward. If he thinks its okay then why shouldn’t the whole squad?

If there was any game I'd want Henderson to play then it would be the derby against Everton so I think he'd really fucked us over with his stupidity

I think Klopp will be disappointed as well for the reasons you give. Both yellow cards would ordinarily be borderline but a lot of us posters seemed to know what was coming, especially when minutes earlier Moss warned the lad for mouthing off to a linesman but somehow neither Klopp nor Henderson did.

Jordan seemed to be wound up leading up to the second yellow and Klopp needs to find out why and help the lad deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red over the water

Fabinho will probably play against Everton now, and if he does he will need to pick the pace up. He will be more than fine for the physical battle, but there won’t be any time on the ball. It will be a tough game. Everton are doing well... probably the seventh best team in the Prem, which is what they were before they won the lottery, I think!

C

Caradoc

Fabinho will probably play against Everton now, and if he does he will need to pick the pace up. He will be more than fine for the physical battle, but there won’t be any time on the ball. It will be a tough game. Everton are doing well... probably the seventh best team in the Prem, which is what they were before they won the lottery, I think!

Definitely needed Henderson for this game. Keita and/or Fabinho are not going to know what’s hit them. For me Milner has to start now.

vjcpatriot

Well this game is just what the doctor ordered. Liverpool putting up 3 points on 3 goals again is good news. It's important to keep the pressure on City. I like our position.

It was good to see Salah and Firmino on the scoresheet. in particular Bobby has needed a pickup. TA's freekick was outstanding. Just a good all-around team win.

Henderson... got sent off so we will need to replace him. Will Fabinho or Keita step in next week?

jaffod

Great result, can't comment on the game as yet having been in work so haven't seen any highlights but what is pleasing is how we are taking advantage of our tough start to the season by winning these sort of games while the other top sides are taking points off each other. There was a time we'd drop points in this situation.
Another difficult away negotiated while United and Chelsea have dropped points, and hopefully Arsenal will tomorrow.
Shame about Hendo's red but not the end of the world, he'll surely play in Paris and I'm hoping JK will keep Milner and Gini back for the derby.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
I see this match as an opportunity for everyone to slate Henderson for the card. Let's keep this in perspective, folks.

He does the thankless tasks well, in one of the toughest roles on the pitch as he has to play both ways. I am sure in hindsight Jurgen wishes he would have subbed him off but now we get to run him out in Paris...

Keep it civil folks, he IS our captain
HEAR FUCKING HEAR!

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
never saw any of the game, thanks to attending a 5yr olds birthday party,
(very selfish of him to have his b-day on game day I thought, but I will let it slide!)

I did see the score and who scored tho,
so without reading any of the previous pages, I will just assume the usual happened
or is written above....

VVD immense?
Robertson, what a steal at 8 Million, never stopped running all day?
Gini missing in midfield?
Mane, selfish? offside?
Mo, getting his mojo back?
Shaqiri game changer?
Lovern accident waiting to happen?

roll on MOTD, to catch brief highlights of this rather good away win,
at a difficult place.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Great result away from home, and suspected it was the kind of game we’d need to win a battle before a football match. The lads were patient, defended well and took their chance when it came.

On Henderson, I’ve never been a critic, and have always rated him. Love seeing him in the team. But that yellow card is brainless, it really is. To get sent off for a second yellow in their half, at 2-0, takes some doing. And he is the captain. It’s fine to say that, and also like the lad at the same time.

jaffod

Definitely needed Henderson for this game. Keita and/or Fabinho are not going to know what’s hit them. For me Milner has to start now.
I think you are giving the bitters too much credit. I think Bernard, Gomes and Mina are the one's who wont know what's hit them. That said I'd keep Milner and Gini back for the derby and sub the other two on if needed.

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Lovren never put a foot wrong all day.
VVD is unbelievable.
Firmino with the key pass on the winning goal.
I don't like Hendo and Wijni in the 2 together