POST MATCH: Watford v Liverpool (EPL 24/11/18 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold (one f*cking magnificent goal)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Henderson (sent off 78')

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Shaqiri (off 75')

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Salah (off 80'); one goal

• Firmino (off 89'); one goal

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Milner (on 75')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho (on 80')

• Matip (on 89')

• and...

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Lovren (the forgotten man)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FGred

Seriously can't believe we are discussing the referee performance in a negative way when we avoided a 50-50 penalty at 0-0 that very likely would have changed the trajectory of the game.

Btw, both Hendo's yellows were 100% there and it would be disgraceful for them not to be given they were that blatant. Sure, Success's jumper pull that wasn't called brought about Hendo's frustration to blatantly foul him, but two wrongs don't make a right.:well done:

Second was just utterly stupid and unneccesary by Henderson and not sure what you would expect the ref to do.
I am sorry but the penalty shout was not a valid one Robertson pulled back before contact and the Watford player chose to dive anticipating a tackle and for once moss got the decision spot on

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Fairly certain Henderson would not be the deciding factor in that game.

I actually think he would have been important to us. Likewise Milner who for me has to start now. Fabinho and Keita are in for a whole new experience if either of them get to start. I’m just relieved its at Anfield.

Jordan will be kicking himself this morning. Something didn’t seem quite right with him yesterday. It was so out of character for the lad that I’m pretty sure it was a one off. Silly reaction knowing what Moss was likely to do but there you go. Neither was a booking accept that unfortunately in Moss’ fucked up, Mr Blobby world they were!

Last edited:

jaschwilli

First of all, I think everybody saw this red card coming. Being on yellow, complaining about the shirt being pulled after an own foul - everybody knew that Hendo felt treated badly by the ref. That being true or not, as the skipper he should control himself.
But then: it the godxxmn duty of Klopp to realize that and to take him off. He should have been substituted direct after that shirt pulling debate. There was 10 minutes to do just that.

The basic attitude of most articles on the last few games was "another win but no top performance again". Some say, it may be due to the system change 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 and Bobby playing as a (false?) 10. But what is more, Klopp changed the style of the pressing. They no longer attack constantly every opponent who has got the ball, instead they look to press the passing possibilities of that player.
as a consequence, we do not see a lot of these hit and run raids of last season, which most people consider to be the only in form top performance possible for LFC. That style seemed to be very exhausting on the other hand, leading to setbacks late in the game (Watford last year e.g.) and also a lot of injuries.

So we should get used to a different kind of top performance this year, sitting back and not be afraid to concede a goal and win confortable.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
First of all, I think everybody saw this red card coming. Being on yellow, complaining about the shirt being pulled after an own foul - everybody knew that Hendo felt treated badly by the ref. That being true or not, as the skipper he should control himself.
But then: it the godxxmn duty of Klopp to realize that and to take him off. He should have been substituted direct after that shirt pulling debate. There was 10 minutes to do just that.

The basic attitude of most articles on the last few games was "another win but no top performance again". Some say, it may be due to the system change 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 and Bobby playing as a (false?) 10. But what is more, Klopp changed the style of the pressing. They no longer attack constantly every opponent who has got the ball, instead they look to press the passing possibilities of that player.
as a consequence, we do not see a lot of these hit and run raids of last season, which most people consider to be the only in form top performance possible for LFC. That style seemed to be very exhausting on the other hand, leading to setbacks late in the game (Watford last year e.g.) and also a lot of injuries.

So we should get used to a different kind of top performance this year, sitting back and not be afraid to concede a goal and win comfortable.

Good performance and good result yet the team somehow still looked a little unbalanced. Personally I think I prefer to see Shaquiri as the 10 and Firminho in his more attacking role . The interchange between the 3 strikers would be better that way. Only problem is would Shaqu be as effective as Firminho when the opposition have the ball. Thought Hendo was unlucky. Seems to be a thing with him and Moss. When he got his first booking the Watford player had almost torn the shirt off his back yet was not penalised ! Even the one he got sent off for whenI watched the replay it looked as if the Watford player deliberately ran into Hendo conning the Ref.
This was a tough game against a side that is physically strong and can also play a bit , to win 3-0 was commendable.

phil smith

A good result against a team that have been doing quite well this season. Still look like we've got another gear to go up. Midfield still looks reluctant to gamble on the occasional forward pass and continue to knock it sideways 99% of the game. Our back five are such an improvement on where we were this time last season with VVD getting my MOM. How long before he's made skipper! I think everything has been said about Hendersons red very petulant and was definitely on the cards. Sound three points that keeps us in touch with City.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
I actually thought it was an impressive performance. We have found a whole new way to win matches and we’re bloody good at it. And we still haven’t really hit top gear yet. Incredible!
We've turned a huge corner in terms of winning tough or scrappy away games, last season and so many other seasons before this one we'd have dropped off the pace massive credit to Klopp and the team for fixing this.

As for the game yesterday, summed us up now dug in well, counter attacked well. Trent's freekick was class and left us with a nice cushion after Henderson's red.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
The BIG plus for me yesterday, apart from the 3 points and another clean sheet, was Firmino. In the first half, try as he might he couldn’t quite get into the game and he had no luck when he did try to make something happen. It was pretty much a continuation of his form for most of this season.

In the second half the clouds gradually broke and the Firmino sun of last season suddenly shone through again. If he’s getting back to his best form then things are about to get even better ...... much, much better! :well done:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Some of the posters on this thread need to have a good think about what it means to support a club. We won a tough away game, we are unbeaten in the league and second in the table but quite a few people just want to come on here and rehash their anti Henderson agenda. He’s our captain for fucks sake. If this is how you support us when things are going well then how will you be when it gets tough ?
Frankly, we don't need to ask. We simply need to look at the post history. There is a cadre of posters who have basically nothing to say at all when things are going well, but become prolific in adversity.

Limiescouse

Indeed, I thought it was a clear penalty by Robertson when it happened and the replays haven't changed that opinion.
He hung his leg out, made o contact, and Hughes threw himself to the floor. It was lucky in the sense that you never know what the ref will see and so rightly or wrongly that is often called, but it wasn't a foul. It should have been a yellow for diving.

Miler is fine to do that.. Who at the bitters will btw? Bernard? Mina? Fair few of those lads are going to get a rude awakening me thinks.
Aye, that's what I don't get. It's not like they have a Barry Horne or Gary Speed in there who "get" the derby.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
He hung his leg out, made o contact, and Hughes threw himself to the floor. It was lucky in the sense that you never know what the ref will see and so rightly or wrongly that is often called, but it wasn't a foul. It should have been a yellow for diving.

See for me this is the point. Hughes went down like he’d been shot from the stands with a hunter’s rifle. In that case, the decision Moss had to make was “does that warrant a penalty or was it an outrageous dive?” If its not a penalty then Hughes should have been given a yellow card. In the end Moss gave neither!

Throughout the match it was noticeable how out of shape Moss was both literally and fitness-wise. A lot of the key decisions were made when he was struggling to keep up with play and he was out of position. He needs to be pensioned off sharpish.

jaffod

Only seen highlights but the front 3 looked a lot more in tune with each other yesterday and that's an aspect of our game that's been missing so far. Shaqiri played some great balls first half

Aye, that's what I don't get. It's not like they have a Barry Horne or Gary Speed in there who "get" the derby.
Happy to see their two biggest yard-dogs of recent years have been moved on. Don't really see anyone in their team who could bully anyone. Richarlison looks like a snide though.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I am sorry but the penalty shout was not a valid one Robertson pulled back before contact and the Watford player chose to dive anticipating a tackle and for once moss got the decision spot on
I agree with you, I don't think it was a penalty.

Several factors lead me to reach that conclusion. Firstly the linesman, who was perfectly placed, didn't flag for a foul.

Secondly, if anyone is going to give a penalty against us it's Jon R. Swipe-Moss, so no-one was more surprised than me when he didn't give it.

Finally, and perhaps the most compelling piece of evidence was on MOTD, when Ian "oursouler" Never-Right said there was contact and it was a definite penalty. Need I say any more?

If there was any contact, which I doubt, it was incredibly slight; certainly not enough to justify Hughes' flamboyant tumble.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
See for me this is the point. Hughes went down like he’d been shot from the stands with a hunter’s rifle. In that case, the decision Moss had to make was “does that warrant a penalty or was it an outrageous dive?” If its not a penalty then Hughes should have been given a yellow card. In the end Moss gave neither!

Throughout the match it was noticeable how out of shape Moss was both literally and fitness-wise. A lot of the key decisions were made when he was struggling to keep up with play and he was out of position. He needs to be pensioned off sharpish.
Mark Hughes said it best;

""The assistant referee is about two or three yards away and clearly sees it isn't a foul but Jon Moss, as he usually is about 30 yards behind play, decided to give a free- kick,” said Hughes.

Asked if he would speak to the official, Hughes replied: “No, what is the point. Probably getting his breath back.”"

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
The reaction on MOTD to our result was predictable. After salivating over citeh for about 10 minutes we were dismissed as "a tad lethargic".

As for our first goal, "expert" Ian "oursouler" Never-Right couldn't resist claiming that "Watford were unfortunate because Mané was offside".

Neither Lineker or Shearer corrected him.

Evidently not one of them knows how to correctly call offside

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
The reaction on MOTD to our result was predictable. After salivating over citeh for about 10 minutes we were dismissed as "a tad lethargic".

As for our first goal, "expert" Ian "oursouler" Never-Right couldn't resist claiming that "Watford were unfortunate because Mané was offside".

Neither Lineker or Shearer corrected him.

Evidently not one of them knows how to correctly call offside

Its the red shorts mun ..... too much red ....... some nice white shorts and preferably some white sleeves just for good measure and they’d have had a collective orgasm at that move.

Commando

Was it because he was wearing trainers during the game? :tongue:

On a serious note - he would be missing our home game against bitters. I think his experience will be missed in that game. If you think Watford players were frustrating with their dark arts, wait for the bitters.
Neverton don't have dark arts. They're just a bunch of thugs. Oh, and if it doesn't go right for them they're not above using the race card. Bunch of cheating snidely fe(£ers.

Yeah. Can’t disagree with that. But regardless of the way the foul went in the tussle with Success, Moss gave it (and then another before he was sent). Jordan surely knows he is on his last legs.

And at that point, I’ve no problem if he goes nobly throwing himself in his sword to prevent a goal scoring chance.

But he gets done for a foul in Watford’s half. I’d be pissed off at a player taking a yellow there, never mind a red.
to be honest it wasnt really a goal scoring chance the guy was on the halfway line and there was a covering defender behind,ithink hed just lost his head by then

I actually thought it was an impressive performance. We have found a whole new way to win matches and we’re bloody good at it. And we still haven’t really hit top gear yet. Incredible!
agree,but i think this is our top gear,last seasons football was a one off

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
to be honest it wasnt really a goal scoring chance the guy was on the halfway line and there was a covering defender behind,ithink hed just lost his head by then
Erm. Yes. That’s my point, John.

big noyd

couldn't find a working stream until about 55:00, and even then there was no sound on a broadcast that also featured an idiotic, seemingly NFL-inspired feature of breaking into live play to split the screen and show every goal scored across the grounds immediately after it happened

even though salah didn't seem to see quite enough of the ball, imo this was the best collective performance from the front 3 in quite a while. mane was powerful & direct, firmino's workrate has never flagged but yesterday he was more often occupying dangerous positions in the attacking third and tidier with the ball in traffic & on his first touch

thought robertson was slightly off in a couple performances before the break, but he was at his absolute best yesterday. not sure i'd trade that left side of our back 4 for anyone's, they are rock-solid. unless it was in the first 30:00 & i missed it, lovren avoided his usual flirtation with calamity. as even a performance as i can remember him having. trent was alert to danger before his goal and hopefully that pushes him on. with alisson and gomez, imo we're one quality left-sided defender away from being completely sorted at the back (the estonian ragnar klavan who plays for cagliari intrigues me)

once again shaqiri provided a lot of threat. changes the point of attack, takes defenders on, final ball is of the highest quality. and klopp seems to be trusting him more in that free-roaming role. admittedly they're both big ifs, but if ox recovers from his injury & keita grows into the player we expected, i don't see that 8/10 position as a huge issue--would personally prefer a third wide option with pace

thought we got the good gini again. henderson lost his head and got sent off for a challenge that was completely unnecessary. if success sends a better ball in shortly after, could've been a much nervier last 15 minutes

Wilkored08

Neverton don't have dark arts. They're just a bunch of thugs. Oh, and if it doesn't go right for them they're not above using the race card. Bunch of cheating snidely fe(£ers.
Just found out today...the "raceman" comes from the next village to me....cheating little shite.