POST MATCH: Watford v Liverpool (EPL 24/11/18 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold (one f*cking magnificent goal)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Henderson (sent off 78')

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Shaqiri (off 75')

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Salah (off 80'); one goal

• Firmino (off 89'); one goal

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Milner (on 75')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho (on 80')

• Matip (on 89')

• and...

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Lovren (the forgotten man)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It wasn't a great game to watch, but when as it ever been any different at Vicarage Road? Like a few others on site I believe Jurgen should have recognised Hendo's brooding anger and subbed him, but unfortunately he didn't and it was almost inevitable a red card was in the offing. At least the match was an improvement on last season's, and the three points keep us on an unbeaten run. It's the bitters next up and I want to knock the wheels off their bandwagon. Hoping our fun boy three have their shooting boots on.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Like a few others on site I believe Jurgen should have recognised Hendo's brooding anger and subbed him, but unfortunately he didn't and it was almost inevitable a red card was in the offing.
Apparently he’d pulled Fabinho from his warm up and was trying to get him on before Hendo got his second yellow.

To be fair to Klopp, it was literally a couple of minutes in between Hendo getting his final warning and then getting sent. I think Klopp can expect his captain to not be that stupid, and unless you think he should somehow teleport Fabinho onto the pitch, I don’t know what else he can do.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
It wasn't a great game to watch, but when as it ever been any different at Vicarage Road? Like a few others on site I believe Jurgen should have recognised Hendo's brooding anger and subbed him, but unfortunately he didn't and it was almost inevitable a red card was in the offing. At least the match was an improvement on last season's, and the three points keep us on an unbeaten run. It's the bitters next up and I want to knock the wheels off their bandwagon. Hoping our fun boy three have their shooting boots on.
Listen to the post-match interview, Klopp actually addresses the substitution. They were working on it when the red card happened

Maria

I was in bed dying... I was sick, congestion, temperature and coughing fits. I really wanted to watch it with you guys in the match thread, but wasn't in a fit state. Will catch up with the match replaysoon.
I heard Salah put the doubters in their place, TAA scored a worldie free-kick and Firmino got his mojo back and Robertson's run was faster than Usain Bolt. Klopp celebrated as if his sons scored.

Well done Redmen. 3 points secured.

Last edited:

jredp

another 3 points, clean sheet, 2 out of 3 scored (Salah & Firminho), keeping in touching distance of city and still unbeaten in the league. I still would like us to play more one touch football, as sometimes our lads seem to go through the motions, thus giving the opposition more time to frustrate us.

Commando

I was in bed dying... I was sick, congestion, temperature and coughing fits. I really wanted to watch it with you guys in the match thread, but wasn't in a fit state. Will catch up with the match replaysoon.
I heard Salah put the doubters in their place, TAA scored a worldie free-kick and Firmino got his mojo back and Robertson's run was faster than Usain Bolt. Klopp celebrated as if his sons scored.

Get well soon @Maria :well done:

Noo Noo

I agree with you, I don't think it was a penalty.

Several factors lead me to reach that conclusion. Firstly the linesman, who was perfectly placed, didn't flag for a foul.

Secondly, if anyone is going to give a penalty against us it's Jon R. Swipe-Moss, so no-one was more surprised than me when he didn't give it.

Finally, and perhaps the most compelling piece of evidence was on MOTD, when Ian "oursouler" Never-Right said there was contact and it was a definite penalty. Need I say any more?

If there was any contact, which I doubt, it was incredibly slight; certainly not enough to justify Hughes' flamboyant tumble.
I thought we were lucky to be honest. How many times have we seen these given?

No complaints but I think we got away with one here. Whether there is contact or not is almost irrelevant given that in football these days the grey areas fall under the opinion of the referee. We've seen these given time after time

Maria

Thank you Commando. I am resting at home today. :well done:

I saw the highlights of the match. Second half was more lovely. Our defence is immense, no wonder Man City keep looking over their shoulder, we are on their coat tails.
Watford are really tough team to break down, I honestly thought it would a 0-0 draw or 1-0. I thought they were unlucky not to get the penalty. Anyway, 3 great goals to boost our goal tally.

Noo Noo

It was a penalty but we don’t get much luck with decisions so there you go, our good fortune eh?

3 Points, another clean sheet ...... :well done:
We've had a few fortunate decisions this year to be honest.

From what I saw of the game we are playing in a very reserved manner right now. How intentional that is or how much Klopp is pushing that reduced risk form of play is open to question I think.

The change is interesting from a tactical persepctive

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I thought we were lucky to be honest. How many times have we seen these given?

No complaints but I think we got away with one here. Whether there is contact or not is almost irrelevant given that in football these days the grey areas fall under the opinion of the referee. We've seen these given time after time
To be honest, given that the ref was Moss, I was surprised that it wasn't given. He likes to dish them out against us e.g. two for spuds in one game last season.

Perhaps Moss was influenced by the linesman (again) - on this occasion in our favour.

Noo Noo

To be honest, given that the ref was Moss, I was surprised that it wasn't given. He likes to dish them out against us e.g. two for spuds in one game last season.

Perhaps Moss was influenced by the linesman (again) - on this occasion in our favour.
Maybe.

I kind of felt like I've dropped a silent bomb in a crowded elevator and being relieved that there isn't any corresponding aroma.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The Robbo penno shout is questionable. Can say we were lucky to not have it given, but VAR would not give us a clear answer. It's a contact sport - but it wasn't deliberate contact and he pulled away, whilst their man launches himself to the ground.

VAR will only add controversy, taking pressure off of the on-field refs, and on to the VAR refs instead.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Klopp mentioned that Firmino is doing a different role on the pitch. Has he moved from the false no 9 role? Can someone please explain what Firmino new role is, because I am lost. Thanks.
He was playing much deeper - more of a false 10 - at one point he was receiving the ball from Allison in our half.

Abdel

He was playing much deeper - more of a false 10 - at one point he was receiving the ball from Allison in our half.
Mostly because the Midfield isn't doing his rôle of fluiding the transition from defense to attack

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
More likely he's instructed to do so, than him doing it off his own back.
Seems that way.

Seemed we lined up;

Alisson

Trent-AA Lovren VVD Robertson

Henderson Wijnaldum

Shaqiri Firmino Mane

Salah
Saying that our front 4 are pretty fluid. Not sure Henderson/Gini work as a double pivot though, didn't play badly actually but they don't seem to work as a two that effectively.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one

Get well soon.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Apparently he’d pulled Fabinho from his warm up and was trying to get him on before Hendo got his second yellow.

To be fair to Klopp, it was literally a couple of minutes in between Hendo getting his final warning and then getting sent. I think Klopp can expect his captain to not be that stupid, and unless you think he should somehow teleport Fabinho onto the pitch, I don’t know what else he can do.
I agree with this. Kloppo was already working on this but Hendo goes on to do that nutty thing on the pitch which reduces whatever passable Midfield squad depth we have for the Derby.