Post Match: Watford v Liverpool (EPL 29/2/20 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Robertson

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 60’]

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 65’]

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 79’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Lallana [on 60’]

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Origi [on 65’]

• Minamino [on 79’]

Votes: 9 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Never in doubt. All good things come to an end.

Firstly: all credit to our hosts. Watford defended manfully; their midfield worked their socks off and the forwards took their goals with aplomb. Many expected them to tire in the second half but they just kept going and were rightful winners. I’d love us to snap up Doucouré and Sarr if they get relegated. The home fans’ chant of “Can we play you every week?” was well deserved; if their team can perform like this more often, they’re certainly capable of playing us every season, at least.

Feel sorry for Deulofeu, who had been having a good game and looking the hosts’ main threat up until his injury. Best wishes to the lad for a full and rapid recovery.

A very humdrum first half, where we were uncharacteristically sloppy and allowed Watford far too much space and time on the ball; dare I say it, these slow starts are becoming something of a worrying trend lately and it is something which Jürgen will soon have to address. I get that we’re trying to conserve energy and control games but it might be sensible to go back to blowing teams away early; that doesn’t allow them to build confidence the longer they stay in the game and we can always rest players later on when the game is safe.

Our fabled front three were anonymous throughout- one early snapshot into the side netting by Mo excepted- and the midfield offered very little, although Ox did make one very nice slaloming run in first half stoppage time.

Michael Oliver is widely regarded as the best referee in the Premier League (I know- low bar and all that) but he was poor in the first half, twice letting Watford players off yellow cards in quick succession and letting their players nudge and niggle at our players with impunity.

Klopp sent the team out early for the second half- he’d clearly given them a massive bollocking in the dressing room.

Robertson might have done better when blasting directly at the keeper- admittedly from a tight angle- early in the second half and we were soon punished when Sarr capitalised on some poor defending to poke the home side in front.

For all the stick Lovren got in the match thread, VVD had a ‘mare today. Not sure why but he simply wasn’t at the races. Trent was poor positionally and Robbo didn’t have his best game. Alisson went down a bit too early for the second goal but could do nothing for the opener, having been left totally exposed.

Lallana was unlucky to see a fine effort hit the post, with the goalkeeper well beaten, but we offered precious little else going forward. A very bad day at the office all round.

Jürgen really needs to motivate the lads for that final push now; I expect the backlash to start at Chelsea on Tuesday evening.

MOTM: Given that I’m in a contemplative mood following that perplexing performance, I’ll go for René Descartes. I think...

P.S. So much for it being a weak league- the team in nineteenth place has just given the runaway leaders a complete- and deserved- spanking. Anyway, I’m off to Bluemoon to see if they believe they can now catch us.

Incognito

The Normal One
It may look like Lovren might be the scapegoat again, but almost everyone was not just off but slow and second to everything. Lacked leadership as well. Midfielders not covering full back, Fabinho leaving gaps in between. And the fact that Watford were very very good. Came with a plan and executed it very well. The execution is difficult and we made it easy, but credits to them. Tireless efforts.

Better losing now than in some important game. About time to wake the fck up and go on another unbeaten run.

We are going to win the treble!

Sweeting

But he actually hasn’t.
Come on mate he clearly has been. First goal he isn't watching the ball, too busy trying to wrestle with Deeney (and losing). Second goal he fails to read the play and takes himself out of the game by pushing up when he should be dropping. Third goal he gets bullied in the air.

Other players were at fault too but for them it is an aberration. For Lovren it is just expected.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Exactly the performance from Lovren I was dreading. We were terrible across the pitch, though. The only positive I can say is that hopefully this acts as a wake-up call for us after a series of recent disappointing performances masked by wins.

Man of the Match: None of the above.

Richard88

No one covered themselves in glory, but Lovren was consistently wobbly in defense, particularly when dealing with 1v1 headers on long-balls as well as covering through balls. Big, big drop-off from Gomez.

Joe Gomez x

Post match thread will be a wild one lol

Seriously, shit just shit . Major let down from the lads . I know we have been blessed by this team but 3-0 to Watford in 19th, 3-0 !!

Front three were invisible and dry . Maybe this Werner lad that’s linked could be decent change up. Midfield was plain and invisible, serious doubts of Ox and Keita and especially the consistency of Gini at times. Defensively our worst since maybe the 3-3 against these in 2017/18 I think. Virgil was poor and Degsy played like me at centre half. Why Lovren peeped pushing up against Deeney when Deeney wasn’t even going for the ball is beyond me. Only option was the fullbacks which provided fuck all, and I hope other teams don’t use this Watford approach or we are in trouble.

No positives from tonight, none

Sweeting

Watford played well and defeat might be a bit of a spur for us towards the end of the season as we have undoubtedly been flat. I feel like we may have had the winning run on our minds too much.

Werder4life

Ah well - would have been nice to keep the undefeated run going , but then again - fuck it. If it had to happen at all , at least it was against a really spirited and deserving Watford , who had the right attitude , game plan and the dose of luck today.

I'm mostly schocked by the magnitude of underperformance all over the pitch. The mother of off days. Hopefully the lads take it as a massive kick up the arse and maybe it even turns out to be bit of a relief not to chase invincibility anymore , which would have been a nice but eventual pointless achievement.

Feels weird to say , but we apparently REALY miss Hendo and Millie on the turf.

No man of the match today. I'm off sulking...

Last edited:

wibseyred

Is there any connection with the Wijnaldum contract situation and the terrible down turn in his form.

RIRed

A little bit of a surprise, given the opposition. Our team had struggled of lately, and errors were aplenty today. The main question is how quick and how well the lads will shake this awful display and return to winning ways. After all, Champions of the League is the goal. The records picked along the way are only gravy. Onwards we march. YNWA

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I will let Klopp dissect and tear them apart in the dressing room and the training sessions after this.

For me, YNWA. We still believe, and we go again. After our last loss in Jan 2019, we went on a unbeaten run, win the CL, the Euro SuperCup, the Fifa World Club Cup. We will create another legendary run.

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Very angry and sad to see the boys do that. But then again they are the best ever side in English football so fuck it. Gonna drink a lot and think about all the lost records. Let Arsenal fans have their day.