• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: West Brom 1 - 1 Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Canuck33 said:
And now he deletes my response. GREAT.
This gets you another point, for not accepting a deserved infraction. One week off for you, and you're on your last leg when you return. Great.

naturalskill

hey guys is there a pre-match arsenal thread up yet.
dont think I can post new threads for some reason

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
naturalskill said:
hey guys is there a pre-match arsenal thread up yet.dont think I can post new threads for some reason
Someone will start it soon.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Dignity intact? It's an away draw and we didn't get turned over. We'd be on our way home now with all three points were it not for a once a season error.

Some of you really need to keep your reactions in perspective. Some of the shit here is unbelievable.
Is that directed at me? Everyone else played shite. A points not bad away from home but it was terrible to watch. So wins your neck in. The bench was a joke too having no attacking threat which summed up the transfer fiasco that you go out of your way to defend.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Hope in your heart said:
raw3, I'd ask you from now on to not answer anymore to the few baiting you, as it keeps the thread going off-topic. If there are nasty things said, press the report button, and the mod team will take care of these lads. Otherwise, just ignore them as they deserve. Cheers.
That is fine and sorry for any trouble tonight. I understand as moderator you have not always job moderating forums and you do a tough job that not always easy on the net/ I won,t responding. I will either ignore or press report button if goes to far and let you sort it out. Its bad habit of mine to respond to every post aimed of me so i try to cut this down an

Thanks for being nice and for the advice and for the job you do on here

cheers

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Henderson was average again he's festive season form has dipped and i would like to see Allen get a run for him or else Coutinho maybe. Its hard to know who should sit out for him.

anglian_red

It can't be coincidence that Henderson has played his best football in a red shirt when Gerrard hasn't been playing. That midfield trio of Lucas, Henderson & Allen was looking really good and we haven't looked as balanced as that since the injuries & Gerrards return.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
anglian_red said:
It can't be coincidence that Henderson has played his best football in a red shirt when Gerrard hasn't been playing. That midfield trio of Lucas, Henderson & Allen was looking really good and we haven't looked as balanced as that since the injuries & Gerrards return.
Well those concerned had better start to learn to play together because they're all the central midfielders we've got left.

Bobbinho

@Anglian Red - They seemed to do alright against the toffee's....

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
anglian_red said:
Que somebody come in and say "Jez we need some perspective here" or Gerrard is still one of the best midfielders in the league get off his back"

But I think your right, Hendersons form has been poor since Gerrard assumed his midfield role and dictating play. A lot went thru Hendo when Gerrard was out and now he's been bypassed at times and at the same time he's not showing as much and taking on that added responsibility for one reason or another. It may just be a coincidence but I think there's some theory there to that. Maybe Joe Allen will be a better partner for Gerrard for the next few games.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
Some of you really need to keep your reactions in perspective. Some of the shit here is unbelievable.
While I agree with this sentiment, and refuse to go OTT about todays result, people do have good reason to feel pissed off with todays performance.

And the perspective you mention also needs to be applied in defence of todays performance.

Saying Toure "had a brain fart" is a massive understatement.
He was awful the whole game and the sooner Agger and Sahko are fit the sooner we'll be back on track to challenge for top 4.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
JoebloggsLFC said:
@Anglian Red - They seemed to do alright against the toffee's....
Yeah true but those type of games can be exceptions and that was just a great team performance. Hoping for the same against the gunners.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Dane said:
While I agree with this sentiment, and refuse to go OTT about todays result, people do have good reason to feel pissed off with todays performance.

And the perspective you mention also needs to be applied in defence of todays performance.

Saying Toure "had a brain fart" is a massive understatement.
He was awful the whole game and the sooner Agger and Sahko are fit the sooner we'll be back on track to challenge for top 4.
Fair enough. I wouldn't say Kolo should keep his place or anything like that. It's Sakho's place when he's fit.

And the brain fart was a terrible error, I certainly don't excuse it.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Here we are again. A good result followed by a complacent performance against mediocre opposition that we should be beating. If the players looked like they didn't care, as they did, then I have to lay that at the feet of the manager. Being tired after a midweek game doesn't wash. It's the manager's job to motivate and inspire the players and I'm getting the impression that in situations where we've had a good game, the manager then sends out a message like, "Hey! After that performance against ******* FC, the next game against ******* Utd should be a doddle". Of course, I don't think he 's saying that out loud, but I get the impression that maybe subconsciously that's what he's communicating to the players.

And as several have already noted, a bit more passion and urgency by the manager on the touchline wouldn't go amiss.

BTW why was Flannagan taken off? When I saw Kelly warming up I thought it was to replace Toure, who seemed to have a nervous breakdown after his brain fart. I thought Flannagan was doing OK.

One more thing, wish they'd cut out all that pussyfooting about between goalie and defenders. In the first half I thought it could backfire on us as the players didn't seem comfortable doing it. Really missing Pepe's long throws direct to a team mate who would then take it forward and not pass it back or across the effing box!

anglian_red

Well for me it's Daniel Agger's place and always will be, but I get the point that Kolo probably wasn't meant to be playing this many games.

naturalskill

As much as I like Hendo, his main problem as far as I have seen is he doesn't want the ball enough. The number of times I've seen him pointing to another player when the player in posession is looking to pass to him and the number of times he does something good and then more or less "stops" rather than looking for the return pass reflects this. Don't get me wrong, I like him and he has many fine attributes BUT maybe some neuro-linguistic programming or such likes wouldn't go a miss on him. Look at Xavi and Inesta...they are forever passing and moving and WANTING the ball. So if BR really wants to get his midfield ticking the constituent parts need to be ball hungry. Maybe its a confidence thing. Who knows? but its a trait he has had since he joined under Kenny.

anglian_red

But at White Hart Lane, Henderson wanted the ball more than anybody else. He was everywhere on the field, spraying passes out, setting others up etc.

naturalskill

anglian_red said:
But at White Hart Lane, Henderson wanted the ball more than anybody else. He was everywhere on the field, spraying passes out, setting others up etc.
maybe its a confidence thing? I don't know. But what a player he could be if he did that every week!

lovepool

We were very poor at keeping possession today and our players have to work harder and show movement to give the man in possession options. Too often there was too big a gap between Gerrard and Coutinho and Henderson when we tried to pass it out of defence. Henderson was particularly poor at getting into positions to receive passes.

Having 2 full backs who are not great in possession was also a factor in our poor build up play and we really do suffer, attacking wise, when both Johnson and Enrique are out.

I watched some of Munich today the movement and work rate when in possession was far above what we produced today. We were ok doing quick counter attacks but when a more measured approach was needed we just were not good enough and needlessly gave the ball away.

For the Arsenal game Allen should start with Gerrard and Henderson and either Coutinho or Sterling will have to be our impact sub. Its not a case of dropping either we just need more solidity against Arsenal. If we give them the same space and possession we gave Everton it will be a repeat of the result at the Emirates.

naturalskill

lovepool said:
We were very poor at keeping possession today and our players have to work harder and show movement to give the man in possession options. Too often there was too big a gap between Gerrard and Coutinho and Henderson when we tried to pass it out of defence. Henderson was particularly poor at getting into positions to receive passes.

Having 2 full backs who are not great in possession was also a factor in our poor build up play and we really do suffer, attacking wise, when both Johnson and Enrique are out.

I watched some of Munich today the movement and work rate when in possession was far above what we produced today. We were ok doing quick counter attacks but when a more measured approach was needed we just were not good enough and needlessly gave the ball away.

For the Arsenal game Allen should start with Gerrard and Henderson and either Coutinho or Sterling will have to be our impact sub. Its not a case of dropping either we just need more solidity against Arsenal. If we give them the same space and possession we gave Everton it will be a repeat of the result at the Emirates.
We certainly need to tighten up the middle but I can only see us beating them with a counter-attacking strategy so that begs the question of which three of our four attackers would work best?

Bobbinho

lovepool said:

Was thinking the exact same thing, i'd drop Coutinho myself, Sterling was pretty much MOTM today & has been one of our more reliable players of late, definitely deserves to get the nod.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Mascot88 said:
Fair enough. I wouldn't say Kolo should keep his place or anything like that. It's Sakho's place when he's fit.

And the brain fart was a terrible error, I certainly don't excuse it.
Is Toure better at RB? He seemed to have his best games for us there at the start of the season.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We can't keep playing the same team and expect them to play up to their best everytime.
We need more depth but blew it not sign a single player this window.

The situation around Alberto and Aspas is getting weirder and weirder every week, I don't believe that Rodgers was the one who target them, if it wasn't for our injure woes they wouldn't even be on the bench. He clearly don't rate them so why are they here??

anglian_red

Alberto & Aspas are very odd signings. I can't help but think Suso would've got more games than Alberto and we could've saved ourselves 7 million quid. Likewise Borini (already a 10m signing) would've got more games than Aspas and could've saved us a further 7 million.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Kolos error was unfortunate...he nearly did the same thing against Arsenal if memory serves, I think Kolo will still play versus Arsenal as I wouldn't expect a player coming back from a hamstring (Sakho) or Agger returning from a long out coming straight into a game of that magnitude.

Today could've been one of those games whereby we played shit and won, it didn't...I want to blame the 1:30 kick offs, every 1:30 game I've been to has been utter tripe (atmosphere & players) but, sadly, we just didn't turn up.

Too slow on the ball and too many long hit and hopes...Pepe Mel must be well pleased about that.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
anglian_red said:
Alberto & Aspas are very odd signings. I can't help but think Suso would've got more games than Alberto and we could've saved ourselves 7 million quid. Likewise Borini (already a 10m signing) would've got more games than Aspas and could've saved us a further 7 million.
Poor judgement by the committee I reckon, could also put Ilori in that basket. Why not buy players that are ready now, and not several years from now. And why are we careless with the money with these deals and not the proper ones. Spending the combined money on one quality player while keeping the Suso and Borini as you mentioned would have been a much smarter strategy then th eone they came up with. Even Assaidi could have been more useful for us than the offensive signings we made this season

anglian_red

I don't mind 'investing in the future' but not if it's at the expense of the first team, leaving us scrabbling around with loans to fill positions.

Aspas, Illori, Borini & Alberto cost over 30 million to purchase. None of them play games for Liverpool FC.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
NZred said:
Is Toure better at RB? He seemed to have his best games for us there at the start of the season.
I think he only played there once mate and that was against Southampton when the whole team was well below average. Defo not an option at rb fin my eyes. A good squad player with a winning mentality is his profile, but first choice centre back is asking too much.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Awful game, both for the result and for its aesthetics.

Seemed to me in his post-match that Gerrard basically said that he personally couldn't have played any better but it's a team game (i.e. the rest were shit) and then singled out Toure for his error. Seemed a bit harsh to me, but perhaps he thinks it's needed?

spizfromoz

West Brom harried us all game. They forced us to make quick wrong reactions when passing (not thinking Kolo here). So we had little flow. A point for them was deserved. Also, that pitch was shit. See how chopped up it was. Divots everywhere like a golfers practice range.

Status
Not open for further replies.