• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: West Brom 1 - 1 Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZred

The Red From NZ
WellRedKev said:
I think he only played there once mate and that was against Southampton when the whole team was well below average. Defo not an option at rb fin my eyes. A good squad player with a winning mentality is his profile, but first choice centre back is asking too much.
Only once? Was sure he played there for the first 3 matches of the season..?

spizfromoz

Wonder if a better rotation policy would work. We slaughter Everton at home and then slip on this one. Those players who miss out on the big wins might be very hungry for match time the following week. But of course, we need a squad to rotate. Down to the last few. But Alberto could've played, maybe Aspas. Allen could've come on earlier.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
spizfromoz said:
Wonder if a better rotation policy would work. We slaughter Everton at home and then slip on this one. Those players who miss out on the big wins might be very hungry for match time the following week. But of course, we need a squad to rotate. Down to the last few. But Alberto could've played, maybe Aspas. Allen could've come on earlier.
The subs were strange. Not giving Moses or Aspas a run was a strange one although Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would have been big call to take off but the front two weren't at the races so Moses cud have been handed a chance.
NZred said:
Only once? Was sure he played there for the first 3 matches of the season..?
He started off playing central defence but maybe he played on the right side of a back three a few times alright. Think he only played RB against Southampton in that bore 0-0. I stand to be corrected though mate!!!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Quagmire81 said:
We can't keep playing the same team and expect them to play up to their best everytime.
We need more depth but blew it not sign a single player this window.

The situation around Alberto and Aspas is getting weirder and weirder every week, I don't believe that Rodgers was the one who target them, if it wasn't for our injure woes they wouldn't even be on the bench. He clearly don't rate them so why are they here??
Starting to wonder what the point of our bench actually is this season

Allen as a sub is a decent one if you are wanting to 'close down' when ahead. Not going to come off the bench to win a match but the former means he qualifies as a 'decent squad player'

Rest who don't play even when we are chasing a game are 'bad squad players' at this moment in time

Always made me laugh when people like Voronin, Degen etc were described as good squad players. We're they bunnies. But the trust in alternatives is non existent

Don't like to say it but had Rafa with his rotation policy been presented with a squad/bench like that after 3 years nearly of new owners he will be sofaing/lampshading/priest on mountain of sugaring all over the shop. But Rodgers simply doesn't have the power to do the same and is a bit stuck with it. Though would like to know who sanctioned some of these buys. Only way they would get much of a lookin is through a injury crisis. See Cissokho who was passably average today but Rodgers would in an ideal world have him as far as possible from Liverpool. Jupiter or somewhere like that. But it seems that goes for a few others as well

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Missed the game due to work, just watched the highlights...

That was as much Mignolet's fault as Kolo's. Simon rolled the ball out casually to a CB who had an opposing player bearing down on him, and another running into his passing lane.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Colorado Red said:
Missed the game due to work, just watched the highlights...

That was as much Mignolet's fault as Kolo's. Simon rolled the ball out casually to a CB who had an opposing player bearing down on him, and another running into his passing lane.
It was, he didn't want a bit of it there, but he should have had the composure or lack of, whatever way you want to look at it, to just lump it down field.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
RichLFC said:
Starting to wonder what the point of our bench actually is this season

Allen as a sub is a decent one if you are wanting to 'close down' when ahead. Not going to come off the bench to win a match but the former means he qualifies as a 'decent squad player'

Rest who don't play even when we are chasing a game are 'bad squad players' at this moment in time

Always made me laugh when people like Voronin, Degen etc were described as good squad players. We're they bunnies. But the trust in alternatives is non existent

Don't like to say it but had Rafa with his rotation policy been presented with a squad/bench like that after 3 years nearly of new owners he will be sofaing/lampshading/priest on mountain of sugaring all over the shop. But Rodgers simply doesn't have the power to do the same and is a bit stuck with it. Though would like to know who sanctioned some of these buys. Only way they would get much of a lookin is through a injury crisis. See Cissokho who was passably average today but Rodgers would in an ideal world have him as far as possible from Liverpool. Jupiter or somewhere like that. But it seems that goes for a few others as well
I did think that not using the striking options could have been a message to the owners / committee that eh felt he didn't have anything on bench to change this game but I quickly thought I was reading too much into it. That would have been Rafa-esque.

Couldn't believe Moses didn't get minutes. He has looked sharp(ish) and up for it in recent cameos.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
WellRedKev said:
I did think that not using the striking options could have been a message to the owners / committee that eh felt he didn't have anything on bench to change this game but I quickly thought I was reading too much into it. That would have been Rafa-esque.

Couldn't believe Moses didn't get minutes. He has looked sharp(ish) and up for it in recent cameos.
That's a very good point. I fail to understand why he doesn't use what he has. He has Aspas, Moses and Alberto. Alberto hasn't been given a chance this entire season to show whether he can or cannot influence a game. Moses had been looking decent in the past few games. It would've been better to throw him on instead of the Flanno Kelly sub. Kelly was horrible when he came on anyway.

i find the subs from Rodgers to be a bit weird at times.

Then all this talk about not having enough backup or decent players on bench. I'm sorry but isn't Rodgers the one who sent Assaidi, Borini and Suso out on loan? All of them are playing regularly in top leagues. One would think if they're good enough to play regularly in top flight teams they'd at least be good enough to be on the bench and come on as an impact sub.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sloppy pass from the defender who received a bad pass from the keeper. Of all Mignolet's good work in shot stopping, he's not a good reader of the game. There are 3 West Brom players around the area and he rolled it to Toure. And to top it off Toure tried to be too smart to try and pass it across the 18 yard box. Silly mistakes for such an experience player.

But we did have our chances, we didn't take it. Sturridge after that first half goal didn't do much, Coutinho was dribbling to a wall of defenders, and Suarez too was out of sort. We didn't do enough to win it.

spizfromoz

lfc.eddie said:
But we did have our chances, we didn't take it. Sturridge after that first half goal didn't do much, Coutinho was dribbling to a wall of defenders, and Suarez too was out of sort. We didn't do enough to win it.
Been thinking a lot that the point of rotating and using all 3 subs is to stop this complacency. these guys can pull a shift for a big match and chill during a soft game. But it may not get us enough points for top 4.

WellRedKev said:
The subs were strange. Not giving Moses or Aspas a run was a strange one although Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would have been big call to take off but the front two weren't at the races so Moses could have been handed a chance.

He started off playing central defence but maybe he played on the right side of a back three a few times alright. Think he only played RB against Southampton in that bore 0-0. I stand to be corrected though mate!!!
Yep. But does Moses ever really look hungry when he comes on?

jhr8

It's frustrating to think that we've had at least 3 draws this season which should have been a win, just for silly mistakes.
Newcastle 2-2: Couldn't find a way through a team with 10 men for almost an entire half.

Aston Villa 2-2: Wrong tactics and formation which meant we had to catch up. Should have been able to get a third goal.

West Brom 1-1: All players were off today which seems to be a recurring thing with this team. Should have scored at least 2. Silly mistake and we drop 2 points.

6 Points dropped in these games which would have put us even with City.
That I think is the difference between us and the top 3. They manage to win on an off day, we seem to only be able to manage a draw at best.
We have a big win in the derby and then come out against a relegation team and play like a Sunday league team.
I just don't understand where the difference in our performances is coming from.
If we could play like we did against Everton every week we would be easily top.
Those 1 or 2 first 11 signings we should have made could have been the difference today. Konoplanyka off the bench or a midfield of Gerrard, Hendo and M'vila and the 3 points would have been ours I think.
Now we have to play Arsenal and give our best.

spizfromoz

jhr8 said:
It's frustrating to think that we've had at least 3 draws this season which should have been a win, just for silly mistakes.
Newcastle 2-2: Couldn't find a way through a team with 10 men for almost an entire half.

Aston Villa 2-2: Wrong tactics and formation which meant we had to catch up. Should have been able to get a third goal.

West Brom 1-1: All players were off today which seems to be a recurring thing with this team. Should have scored at least 2. Silly mistake and we drop 2 points.

6 Points dropped in these games which would have put us even with City.
That's the beauty of this game, a goal can come from so little and settle a game. :D

Urban Achiever

The two man midfield simply does not work...... It's as simple as that. Yes, we beat Everton 4-0 and that was a tremendous game, but it only worked because we gave them the CM and accepted chasing the ball like mad men for 90 minutes. Even in that game Everton completely controlled the midfield and we won that game on a corner and 3 counters. Let's be fair and admit that had Everton had a bit more quality in front of goal that game would have been tighter. We need to control the midfield to "set" our game up.....

It was scandalous against Villa and very poor yesterday... not because the players are poor but because that tactic hands over the midfield to the opponents.

Rodgers is doing it, I think, to get his attack on and because he's in love with the idea of 4 forwards/AMs on the field at the same time.... and... because he does not trust any other midfielder than Allen off the bench and he's not fit for 90 yet. In my view Allan should have started the game yesterday with Hendo and Gerrard. That way we would have had midfield control and an impact sub (Sterling or Cou) on the bench. Instead he tried to win the game early and close it down with Allen. Problem is though, that because we have no CM control over the game we keep being bombarded with attacks from the 2nd half. The forwards never get a decent ball because the midfielders don't control it and the defence get stressed from getting the ball back constantly and having 3 WBA players pressuring them in the passes around the box....... Kolo f*cks up. We don't control midfield and the team splits in two.....

It's really frustrating to watch Rodgers midfield two set-up...... Keep 3 in the midfield.... swap Allan for an impact sub if we're chasing or for Alberto if we're holding, but please stop giving the midfield away for free.

Either that or the forward 4 are not working hard enough to pressure the opponents...?

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
cardiffpete said:
WBA drew twice against Everton, plus they also drew against Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal plus they even beat ManU and they only lost to City by 2-3 ...so they can obviously raise their game a whole lot. Yet, they are often beaten (and very easily too) by the teams around them in the League.

Re: Kolo. I agree somewhat, but then again he was only meant to be a 4th choice CB aka an experienced head who could impart some wisdom. Agree on Agger back as crucial, though also having Sakho back would have a very similar effect.

By far the bigger miss though (for us) today was surely Lucas. Of Gerrard's 51 passes today from the holding role, 40 went either sideways or backwards (i.e. 13 to Skrtel, 9 to Kolo and 5 to Mignolet etc), while only 11 were forward passes, including just 2 passes to (each of) Coutinho, Sterling and Suarez all-game. I'm not for a second suggesting (or in any way trying to suggest) that Gerrard had any direct effect on the draw, as he was mostly fine on the day ...but however his only recipe in the last 25 minutes was hit-and-hope long balls. There really is another way though aka probe WBA to death from the off, control the ball in the low-to-medium areas at will (to just deny them momentum) ...and to just launch measured attacks. We never saw any CM-based game control today.

In the reverse fixture (aka at home to WBA), fully 39 of Lucas's 65 passes were forward ones, with Sturridge his top target on the day at 10. Usually, Lucas hits Coutinho the most (aka averaging 7~16 passes per game to Coutinho) ....but our little Brazilian maestro didn't play that game, as he was injured. Just that, away from home (today), we needed (very badly) much more measured probing and a better game control from our CM's ...than we had today.

The last 11 away games that Lucas has missed for us, we have gone 2-5-4 aka averaging a single point-a-game. The last 11 away games with Lucas in the starting XI? 6-1-4 aka 1.72 points-per-game. Here (aka with Lucas playing), the away games have actually been far harder (on paper) as well compared to our games without him ...as they include all-of Arsenal, City and Chelsea this season - all of them lost too. Luckily, it's just the 2~3 games before he'll be back in the team again and hopefully Allen can do a job there until then.

I'm pretty scared of Arsenal at Anfield, even with Allen maybe on-board. Without Allen, it could get very ugly ...as our CM control-of-play aka game-intelligence is sub-par at the moment. Then again, we do still have SAS!! ;-) ...which Arsenal very much lack atm.
I had to come back to this. We dropped points against West Brom because Lucas was missing. Give me a fucking break. Posts in a simar vein against Lucas were at one point considered trolling or baiting. A series of stats to support an argument that our least adventurous player, Lucas would have been more effective than a player, Gerrard with an eye for goal and a probing pass. Even Grk Stav, blind to reality as he was couldn't support that nonsense. We dropped points because Toure fucked up, and our forward four, Sterljng aside were below their usual high standard. Lucas wouldn't have stopped the goal, nor would he have actually added to the attack.

How about putting your quantitative data away for a while and examine the qualitative impact of Gerrard, how about not using every thread to worship at the Divine Church of Lucas.

To think we, those who questioned the boys credentials used to be accused of winding things up......

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
It may and probably has been mentioned already, but we have ourselves to blame - it was gonna happen sooner or later and will do if we dont stop fecking around at the back.... everyone knows the keeper is pretty crap with the ball at his feet and really the defenders dont seem that confident at times either - I know we all like to start from the back/keep hold of the ball etc (which is a load of crap when you think about it - as when we have throw ins most of the time we lose it!) but other players further up front need to make the space so the others can pass, rather than passing back all the time... The only other option is to make them have extra sessions with the passing at the back - so amateurish at times.
Something has to give

Urban Achiever

To people saying "stop passing it out from the back" I must underline that this is never gonna be done in any other way, as long as Brendan Rodgers is our manager.

It's a groundstone in the kind of football we're trying to play. Page 1 stuff in possesion. You do not hoof the ball.... unless you're absolutely forced to. FX Kolo could have been forgiven for doing it before the goal yesterday with 3 WBA players coming at him.... but even then he could have passed it back to Mignolet. The point is; There is always a possible pass and we don't construct our game around winning the second ball off airduels.

Of course it's 100% legit to have another oppinion....... I'm not arguing against it, I'm just saying that it's absolutely pointless for you guys to keep expecting us NOT to play it out from the back.... with risk..... with a coach like Brendan Rodgers. That's what we do to keep the ball in possesion and that's what the team selection is build around. That's why Rodgers does not keep Andy Carroll in the team.... 'cos he does not care about tall players who can win the hoofball.

Even when chasing the game in overtime we don't pass the long ball into the box.... why? 'cos that's not how the manager believes in playing.... and that's why he accepts Kolos mistake.... because that's what he tells them to do and then mistakes will happen. Rodghers would rather have players TRYING to do the right thing and fail, which is why he must accept the mistake. Again I'm not saying whether it's a right or wrong philosophy, I'm just saying that it's absolutely pointless to expect such a vital part of his tactic to change..... It never will.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
There is nothing wrong with building from the back as long as common sense prevails. Playing short balls to men around the edge of the box when there are opponents lurking is stupid.The alternative is not always to knock long balls, there is ,or should be the option of playing the ball wide, usually to full backs who I believe should go wide as soon as the ball is in the keepers hands. At the end of the day though the answer is variation.BR's short ball game from the back actually seems to rigid, opponents have it sussed out. Similarly we often get caught out in midfield through playing it to short to often.Little 2 metre flicks and passes are all very pretty and can be very effective but we tend to overdo it and find ourselves trying to play short balls in congested areas when often there is an option to play a slightly longer pass and change things. Variety is the spice of life, keep the opposition guessing.
One thing I would add though. Passing the ball along the edge of your own penalty box has always been a big No No ,but we do it often and have simply got away with it on other occasions

Zoran

That was typical Liverpool, unable to make the most of these opportunities.

This was the type of game we shoud have won before half time, WBA posed no threat and the only negative for us was a lack of a little more precision with the final ball, a bit of end product. Boring atmosphere and they were slow on the counter as well, you have to put that to bed with at least another goal and it's game over, au revoir.

We give them a chance to survive for more than an hour being just 1 down, not clinical enough in attack, going for the wonderful. When they change things a bit and find that goal we panic and force things through individuality. It leads to nowhere and no we're not getting into top 4 only "if Liverpool can keep Sturridge and Suarez fit".

While playing so deep and not taking our chance we literally hand them a way back into it, I know we have to sacrifice a little bit so maybe with the 3 offensive players (Sturridge with the help of Luis did a good defensive job against Everton, he didn't need to track back against Stones, while on the other side Sterling does a great up and down job in the last weeks) Rodgers wants everyone to get back, there is a lack of balance and especially against WBA I don't know why we keep inviting those crosses. Victor f*cking Anichebe, if we're afraid to push that back line a little bit against him, Gera, Brunt, and Berahino the only one offering a bit of pace... then god help us. Toure's mistake was really a bad school error but it was waiting to happen when you see our defence so deep and almost tied together.

When we need that winning goal we end up having 2 separated sides on the pitch, the back 4, those 2-3 up there and no patience in the middle. Big sides stick together, play simple 1-2 touch football with intensity, create pressure against these sides. It happened against Villa as well. When we needed to dominate, we struggled to even get the ball from them. You get that tired, deja-vu feeling that we're never gonna score like that.

We have no quality in our depth and we have to kill these games much earlier.

Kopreneur

TIA Youth Team
I think of it like, if you reverse the results of the last two fixtures - it doesn't break your heart.

We have the same point total from the games.

It was disappointing the energy we showed in the second half to push through the result.
Dare I say it, BR may need to fire up his players more.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Johnny T. said:
I had to come back to this. We dropped points against West Brom because Lucas was missing. Give me a fucking break. Posts in a simar vein against Lucas were at one point considered trolling or baiting. A series of stats to support an argument that our least adventurous player, Lucas would have been more effective than a player, Gerrard with an eye for goal and a probing pass. Even Grk Stav, blind to reality as he was couldn't support that nonsense. We dropped points because Toure fucked up, and our forward four, Sterljng aside were below their usual high standard. Lucas wouldn't have stopped the goal, nor would he have actually added to the attack.

How about putting your quantitative data away for a while and examine the qualitative impact of Gerrard, how about not using every thread to worship at the Divine Church of Lucas.

To think we, those who questioned the boys credentials used to be accused of winding things up......
As i understood it, Pete's post was more about the lack of control in midfield rather than bigging up Lucas. Lucas has that influence in our game, his presence does help us control the midfield better. Allen would have helped too but i guess he wasn't fit to start.

The norm when we deploy two CMs is matches such as this. Not the derby.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
verde13 said:
As i understood it, Pete's post was more about the lack of control in midfield rather than bigging up Lucas. Lucas has that influence in our game, his presence does help us control the midfield better. Allen would have helped too but i guess he wasn't fit to start.

Even so, if I'm looking at my team to score a goal in the dying embers of a game we shoud be winning I know who want sitting and dictating play at the base of midfield.

YNWAGerrard

The draw has drawn a lot of frustration out of me with that schoolboy error*. But I guess everyone is prone to errors at any given time. We were very lacklustre anyway so a draw really didn't surprise me.

On the bright side we got a point and we're still 4th.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
YNWAGerrard said:
On the bright side we got a point and we're still 4th.
It's sad that we could have opened up a four point gap on Spurs. That could have been very handy going into the Arsenal game.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
Even so, if I'm looking at my team to score a goal in the dying embers of a game we shoud be winning I know who want sitting and dictating play at the base of midfield.
I don't think that Gerrard's at his best sitting deep in this scenario. He tends to force things too much for my liking and cedes possession easily with his long range passes which often do not come off. If it were up to me, in a case such as this i would deploy him closer to the box. Let him influence the game not only with his passing but with his shooting and surges into the box as well.

I'd put Allen or Lucas at the base of the midfield, keeping possession and allowing our most creative players such as Gerrard more freedom in the opponent's half.

YNWAGerrard

Mascot88 said:
It's sad that we could have opened up a four point gap on Spurs. That could have been very handy going into the Arsenal game.
I understand where you're coming from, but if we beat spurs when they come to visit us we could possibly widen the gap, given that we're still 4th (hopefully).

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
I hate to blame Kolo but it's the truth. Many of you are saying we should have put the game away and we didn't deserve the win, the truth is, had we won it 1-0 we'd be saying it was a "professional" win, not our best but we got the job done, we wouldn't be complaining that we didn't score 2 or 3. We need to grind out those 1-0 and honestly West Brom didn't look like scoring at all. Had they not been gifted that goal, we're 2 more points. A real shame.

Bobbinho

Dhoff3 said:
I hate to blame Kolo but it's the truth. Many of you are saying we should have put the game away and we didn't deserve the win, the truth is, had we won it 1-0 we'd be saying it was a "professional" win, not our best but we got the job done, we wouldn't be complaining that we didn't score 2 or 3. We need to grind out those 1-0 and honestly West Brom didn't look like scoring at all. Had they not been gifted that goal, we're 2 more points. A real shame.
Yes, Kolo was at fault, no doubt about it, at that point in the game we looked like getting over the line with just the one goal, it was or seemed to be a pivotal moment where the game slipped out of our hands from that point on, of course we would have been happy with the win & half the stress on here would not have surfaced i agree, but it was not a good performance & that would have been noted win draw or lose, the first half was poor considering what we saw against Everton, didn't have the same intensity & our forward line linking up etc was woeful, we did have time to win the game, we did try & change things but thats where the main frustration comes from we really don't have the quality in the squad to deal with situations like that esp when one or two of our better first team players are below form....

Kolo im sure will be the first one to accept that he fucked up, but we should not let others off the hook for playing their part in what was a pretty lacklustre performance against a side that were probably set up to protect themselves against SAS & Co...as opposed to trying to win the game....

2 points dropped because of complacency IMO from Kolo's fuck up to the teams below par performance overall.

Having a thin squad & a bench virtually bereft of quality doesn't help & it won't in other games where we find ourselves in situations like that again, hopefully barring the clanger from Kolo or anyone else...

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
verde13 said:

2 CM's is just bad for LFC ...so I'd fully agree. BR has never made it work, for us aka we're always over-run.

I was actually primarily looking at "multipliers" as an angle ...aka those type of players who bring the best out in others by being on the team sheet alone. It's looking beyond their (own) individual contributions, to ultimately assess their impact on the whole team. Some teams have these type of players, many don't. Lampard is certainly a multiplier, Nolan (at Newcastle and now West Ham) is a very obvious multiplier too. These 2 players do impact the score-sheet though, so it's more obvious qua impact ...but "multipliers" also exist, who maybe don't impact the scoresheet at all, or at least do so much less rarely.

As much as (I'd strongly feel) Lucas could be very fairly described as a "multiplier" ....where a "multiplier" means that their mere presence inspires the rest of the team to greater heights (though not always and not in any role, but they do far more often-than-not) ...we do actually have another one of this type on-board as well at the moment ...in Hendo.

Hendo's whole "attitude" in (and towards) games, allied with his huge work-rate and desire, has hughly impacted our season thus far. He's been ever-present this season, and (when at his best) Hendo more-or-less defines our play. His impact (on the whole team and it's ethic) is probably one that is simply far greater than his own technical skill-set ...which does remain a little limited. That's not a criticism, as although his technical skill might not be at the level of other Top 4 teams aka purely comparatively to players in his position in other top sides. However, his other contributions and his all-round play trounce most other candidates, especially in the catalyst role.

I'm still not sure (myself) if Hendo is actually technically good enough to play for LFC ...but it simply doesn't matter at all! ;-) Not one bit! His (Hendo's) personal contribution has been simply priceless this season and he's surely our most improved player this term, plus his desire and all-round play has been priceless for us. It has been about getting the best out of him, ...but Hendo has also elevated the team too in the process. It just goes far more than his own ability though aka any club needs to have one-or-two players that define it and to provide a template to it's play.

Except that Hendo (too) has greatly suffered with our recent strategy of deploying 4 attackers. It wastes his (clear) ability in so-many-ways. It makes him sit deep(er), in a no-man's-land-role (somewhat alongside Gerrrad) ...and it simply exposes his technical abilities cruelly (which he does not have much of!). I'd want Hendo being played far higher up the pitch myself ...to offer much more dynamism (which he certainly does have!). His current role alongside Gerrard just totally wastes his potential impact higher-up ... and it's clearly not his best one.

Lucas too. He's probably far more technical then Hendo, but he almost always plays deeper and so it's less obvious to the eye. But again a player who is very crucial to our set-up. Launching attacks from a deep platfrom might seem child's-play ...but it really isn't. Knowing when-and-who to pass it to is a very instinctive process, one that requires a lot of game-intelligence to get right. Especially in the away games, you need to probe a lot more and just play the percentages. That doesn't mean to just play it simply and go risk-free...but it also means to recognize the moments to open it up a bit. Lucas's #1 pass option this term has been Coutinho, as in the pass-before-the-assist dynamic. Just feed the player who can assist a whole lot. His other playing style is to feed the wings (against park-the-bus teams) fluidly. Just fluid stuff out to the wings instead. Against WBA though, that never got going i.e. either of these options. Just lack of game-control from the CM positions all-game. Go central or go wide more, but still exercise control a bit. We blew them away in October, but not now. The semi-obvious conclusion is that we played into their hands Sunday ...by not targetting their weaknesses enough.

Versus WBA, you need more guile and more sustained ball-circulation ...and a more probing way of playing. They are no mugs at home and (thus) looking for Coutinho central and/or SAS between the lines was not a great way to approach. Better was (maybe) to control CM much better, focus on width primarily (to stretch them) and only then to move the ball centrally. Going long (too much) just played into their hands, also too centrally-based play ran into Yacob/Mulumbu ahead of their CB's. Last October, we destroyed WBA with pace and movement ...making their CB's look average and making their CM-duo look terrible. On Sunday, we made them (aka their CB-duo and their CM-duo) look very good.

Hendo surely has to be pushed that bit further on ...and Lucas surely must return soon. Hendo is seriously being wasted too deep and Gerrard is not a DM, though not bad vs WBA at all ...but not the skill-set I want there. Allen(sooner)/Lucas (later) to come in ...and drop one attacker from the front four, for better CM control. The 2-man CM set-up is doing Hendo no favours atm and Gerrard is OK there, but nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.