• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Wonderful win for our youngsters, against an in-form side, with plenty of talented and experienced players. That's really a win to take heart from!

:cheers:

Take it away, lasses and lads! Happy night this!

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
That was one of the most enjoyable games I've seen us play in a long time. Hats off to the players and to Brendan.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So made up with our "boys" tonight. Once again our worst players on pitch were the experienced players such as Carra, Downing and shaky moment for Jones. Everybody else was absolutely awesome.....even though they were all under 25!!!! Most under 20 too!!!! The kids ain't just alright....they're bloody spiffing!!!!

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
All I can say is Wow ... that was an absolutely fantastic display by the Reds. Beautiful passing and movement and lots of threat throughout.

I've really enjoyed watching this young team perform and do us proud. It makes be feel really optimistic about the future.

Sahin was really really good ... his first touch is superb and his passing is top notch.

Amazing and we deserved this result. The perfect pick-me-up after last Sunday.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Very proud of the team as a whole, only downside was Downing. I think he'll be gone January.

Not much else to say except that there are a few senior players looking over their shoulders after that game. Some of these players could break through over the season.

Let's get nine points from the next three games please, kickstart the season.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Yes! So incredibly well deserved! So proud of the boys! The second goal is one of the best we've scored in a long time. Textbook stuff.

Sahin was absolutely immense. What a player. Sign him up, please!

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
Brendan's blueprint here. brilliant stuff.

just like my first impression: our Carling Cup stoke game from last year all over again. lost the league game against them with a slight taste of injustice. then draw them again. concede. fight back. win.

hope that it is the dawn of something just a little better than our CC win back in February, though.

oh, and that Sahin lad...hopefully we can find a way to have him being a part of our future, if tonight was an omen of things to come.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Great performance from the U21s! That has to be the average youngest Liverpool side I've ever seen play a senior game!

Not to mention that's a win after going behind. I can't even remember the last time that happened. (vs Bolton with Roy?)

rashers

TIA New Signing
Last season so many of us were crying out for Sterling, Suso & co to be given the chance and this season we see that and more! In fact I don't think we ever thought so many of the younger players would be given the opportunities they've been given for first team football... all good stuff ! The future is bright! but yes I know it's all still about results and getting back up the league and ultimately winning the league and all the rest! Let's hope we start getting more wins with solid, consistent football. Let's be optimistic and trust BR and the all the squad to do just that. YNWA

Great game and great win! Youngsters doing themselves proud yet again and goes to show if you are good enough you are old enough.

OhYaBeauty

Big shout out to Pacheco! He didn't have a massive impact on the result but he was everywhere on the pitch. He showed glimpses of quality and actually had quite a few tackles. If he keeps putting in that sort of effort Brendan will have to reconsider getting rid of him. And playing him as an AM actually let him play his own game (Young Boys was unfair; he's no striker)

Well pleased by the work rate of all of the boys tonight, with the exception of perhaps one. Assaidi looks really good on the left wing. When was the last time we had someone who took his man on and did it well?

This is the most excited I've been watching LFC in a couple of years. Our youngsters are so talented!

Edit: We need to find a way to sneak Sahin out of Madrid come May

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Fantastic match. Wisdom and Coates played well, and the pick of the defenders was Robinson. Showed for the ball and worked hard. Reads the game well and gets forward well. Carra needs credit for working hard throughout.

Assaidi was impressive in my book too. Great vision and team ethic for finding the pass to Sahin for his second (great cameo from Suso).

Sahin looks to be gaining sharpness with some classy touches, but still lacks some match fitness with some lazy defending (however did get right in the box for that goal). He will be very important for us this season I feel.

Yesil worked hard, but still lots to learn. Pacheco showed glimpses of what he's capable of, but just don't see him as a player with a future here.

Downing for me was disappointing. He was one of the more experienced players on the park, and is in his prime years. Not good enough.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Impressive.

MOTM Sahin for the 2 goals, but otherwise would've gone to Assaidi.

Dear God, we now have two legitimate wingers! (Sterling and Assaidi)

Suso changed the energy when he came on, just think he's a cut above Pacheco playing a very similar style, and younger too.

Bring on Norwich, hope to see a front 3 of: Assaidi, Suarez, Sterling with a midfield of: Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, with Suso on the bench as an impact sub.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I'll say it again: no reason these lads can't take us out of the Europa League group and.... BEYOND!

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Almost feel like an Arsenal supporter. Bring on the youth! Assaidi will be looking to take Borini's place in the side after that performance. Great game. Carra's demise hasn't been written yet, and I thought Coates had his best performance in a red shirt so far. Great game by everyone all around.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
That was sublime - a very heart rending game to take heart from, indeed as Hope opens us with.

If this is what we have, and are growing into, we will be alright........in fact, the indicators are truly there that we could be quite a force again, and its probably not too long away either.

Enjoying this moment for now, no need to get ahead of ourselves given the bruising of the last few years.

rashers

TIA New Signing
Saaaahhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.....

(I think) he just ran past my window...

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Can anyone link me to that site where you can download full matches? I was desperate to see this but couldn't get a good connection, and after the rave reviews, I'm even more desperate!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Stats from the bbc:

WBA - LFC: 1 - 2

Possession: 43% - 57%

Shots: 10 - 14

On target: 8 - 9

Corners: 4 - 6

Fouls: 6 - 8

fcukManU

still a dani pacheco stan
There have been plenty of times over the years where we've fielded the young/fringe players in early cup competitions, and the performance lacked gut and was retarded at best... tonight wasn't the case. We played excellent, and as a team too.. with a few notable individual performances.

Hats off to Brendan and the players. Truly is something to be proud of.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Great performance from the U21s! That has to be the average youngest Liverpool side I've ever seen play a senior game!

Not to mention that's a win after going behind. I can't even remember the last time that happened. (vs Bolton with Roy?)
Away against Young Boys, six days ago. ;)

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Game well played by the youngsters, would give MOTM to Sahin but only just over Assaidi. I'm also getting more and more impressed with Suso, he is so direct. Sahins got instant control and i just hope we do have the chance to buy him at the end of the loan but either way our future is looking bright when you have 16-18 year olds taking apart a premiership side. Glad we're still in this competition even if its just to see these kids play more.