• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Bloody amazing game from the kids, the future is bright.

Sahin and Assaidi terrific acquirements in the window,keeping Sahin might be harder after tonight.

Got to agree with CBGC some senior players will be looking over their shoulders based on some performances tonight, and so they should be.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
It must feel embarrassing for Downing to put out yet another pitiful, pathetic performance when boys ten years younger than him showed the class they did tonight.

First thoughts
-Assaidi!! Brendan what are you waiting for? Brilliant performance, absolutely pissed all over their right back for 90 minutes
-Jones messed up badly for the goal, did well afterwards
-Pacheco worked for two. Henderson invisible for much of the second half
-Sahin coming into his own, two nice goals, very good range.
-Yesil looks promising, nearly got a goal from Assaidi's cross and worked his socks off
-Carragher is becoming a liability.
-Downing was his usual awful, uninterested self
-Both fullbacks did ok, Robinson was really put to the test but thought he coped well after a poor start

After we got the equaliser I was never in any doubt we'd win this, and what a winning goal. This is indeed the future. I thoroughly enjoyed this and we're really playing with some style.

A few first-teamers should be looking over their shoulders after tonight. In Brendan we trust.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Well done to the traveling fans...nearly deafening and made me forget a few times just who the home side was

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I'm going to c/p some of what I said in the in-match thread here:

The young players are playing Rodgers' game much better than the senior side, which bodes very, very well for the future if we can use our huge opportunity to bring a relatively large number of them through: Sterling, Suso, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil, Pacheco. If all/most of them by the end of the season can be challening for a starting XI spot or at least pushing from the bench, our year will have an unprecedented success regardless of league performance. Assaidi/Shelvey coming along and the glimmer of hope with respect to signing Sahin could make our striker problems seem completely worth it (especially if Borini settles as I think he will).

We need Wilson to step up or do delve into the market for another 4th choice centre-back. Carragher has moments where he organises well and he can still head a ball, but after this season his position is no longer tenable. Coates is coming along nicely. Wisdom could perhaps also make the step up as many see his natural position as centre-back?

We also need to find a very, very good backup to Reina. Not an older player who is a stop-gap, but a true replacement for Reina who will push him from the bench. Sadly to say, Jones is too inconsistent and we need to prepare for the future.

I'm really excited for what we can be building from at the end of this season, which is far more than I could ever have said in the last two years. We will be able to focus very specifically in the market to solve our deficiencies, rather than spreading the money thin to change most of the side. I completely accept any consequences of our market blunder because the rewards we seem set to reap are far, far better.

As for the specifics of our performance: it wasn't perfect, obviously, but for the B-side to be coming together this well is excellent to see. It's time for the first team to do it now too. Henderson will grow and learn from being a regular starter in the Category B (i.e. non-league) games, which I am content with. Sahin, Assaidi, and Pacheco are pushing for first team playing time on this performance; Robinson can potentially push Enrique; Yesil showed wonderful promise and just needs to find that final ball; Downing needs to be put out to pasture; Suso is going to be getting regular bench, substitute, and starting appearances from now on.

Liverpool FC is the best club in the world for a promising young player at the moment.

Games like this give me such hope. YNWA.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Chelsea vs manu, oh and taw has claimed that sunday's ref was sat next to fergie two weeks ago at a charity do....hmmmmmmmmmm

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Bloody amazing game from the kids, the future is bright.

Sahin and Assaidi terrific acquirements in the window,keeping Sahin might be harder after tonight.

Got to agree with CBGC some senior players will be looking over their shoulders based on some performances tonight, and so they should be.
I think the more Sahin plays, and plays well the more he will want to stay here. I think in the end it will be up to him.

Full draw:

Liverpool v Swansea
Sunderland v Middlesbrough
Swindon Town v Aston Villa
Wigan v Bradford
Leeds v Southampton
Norwich v Tottenham
Chelsea v Manchester United
Reading v Arsenal

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
With the draw having the Chavs play scum it really sets us up to possibly go back to back or atleas make a deep run.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Henderson was solid, but he's going to have to settle for being Allen's backup for the next decade.

Sahin getting better with every game, will be pushing for a regular spot in the midfield 3 from now on.

When Lucas comes back there will be some real selection issues in that midfield: Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey, Henderson, Suso. That's 7 for 3 spots.

Judging from the Man U and today's games, Suso looks like our "impact sub" of the year, able to change the game with his silky skill.

Pacheco had a good game, but just don't see him ever being a regular in the starting 11, but useful to have around as a squad player, especially with a squad this thin.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Brilliant game. Amazing performance considering the age of the team.

Sahin and Assaidi were fantastic, with Sahin just nudging MOTD for me. Hope he starts on Saturday.

Brave selection from Rodgers, considering the run we're on. You can see how he trusts these kids and they respect him. We should tolerate the present - the future looks fucking golden. If just three of these youngsters come good its a result. It looks like we've got about 12 who could make it.

Yet again, in a team full of kids Downing looks out of his depth and frightened. Lets fucking get shut, and pack him off back to Villa. The way I see it if we'd paid 20m for Suso, Assaidi, Sterling, Yesil and Sahin we'd be overjoyed. So lets not worry about the money.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
After tonight I am so much more confident going forward in the cups, the kids are more than alright! :p

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
My thoughts on the Squad:

Brad Jones - He mad some big saves, I missed the first goal so can't comment on that one. Dealt with some crosses. I'm quite happy with the performance, well done.

Wisdom - very solid performance

Carra - Very good, took a lot of criticism but he dealt well with Lukaku, guided the youngsters well.

Coates - Great game, didn't put a wrong foot.

Robinson - See above, he and Coates were the 2 best defenders in a very solid back 4 today.

Assaidi - skinned Dawson time and time again, he looked fantastic. On that performance I think we'll see him starting very soon, either giving Sterling or Borini a much needed rest. He'd probably be my MOTM except for...

Sahin - 2 good goals, played a tidy match, looked like a very classy player who deserves to start. First goal was a rocket that maybe should have been saved, 2nd was a great run and fine finish. He tackled well, did really well as a deep lying midfielder. MOTM.

Hendo - Solid, not amazing, still will have to be back in the pecking order, no complaints really today though.

Pacheco - To me, he did the most for himself and his LFC career then anyone tonight. Here's a player whose LFC career I figured was over a good year ago. He didn't do too much to impress in preseason and was pretty anonymous playing out of position against Young Boys. I thought he was fantastic today and showed BR he can play in the system, worked really hard, tracked back and tackled well, great quick passing, ran forward and had some excellent chances. I'm very happy for him and I think on this performance he's made staked a claim for more playing time.

Downing - the man who did the least for himself, he failed to really make an impact on a team populated by kids. While he wasn't awful, he just didn't fit in. While Assaidi was marvelous on one side and just whipped in quality crosses, Downing seemed to dribble a bit and kick poor wasteful crosses out of desperation. He hasn't shown he's got the quality to be in the starting 11 and now the youngsters are completely showing him up.

Yesil - Pretty good debut, loads of confidence, seems like he wants to take everyone on. He was pretty good but more importantly showed potential. I think we'll see more of him this season.

Subs:

Suso - Great run to create the goal, immediate impact. He looked very good during his time. He'll play a good amount this season.

Sinclair - congrats at being the youngest player to feature for LFC, didn't look out of place, didn't need to do too much. He almost got through alone at one point.

And Brendan Rogers - Love that he played though youth and it paid off. They seem to really take to the system very well, better then the senior team in fact. That's very good for the future.

Very pleased with this result.

Lucent skyeglider

TIA Youth Team
Great win, the young kids showed plenty of fight and it was well deserved over all. We have a great future ahead of us.....

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
[quote name='craig bellamy's golf club' timestamp='1348693757' post='5942']
Chelsea vs manu, oh and taw has claimed that sunday's ref was sat next to fergie two weeks ago at a charity do....hmmmmmmmmmm

alphakilo

TIA Regular
My thoughts on the Squad:

Brad Jones - He mad some big saves, I missed the first goal so can't comment on that one. Dealt with some crosses. I'm quite happy with the performance, well done.

Wisdom - very solid performance

Carra - Very good, took a lot of criticism but he dealt well with Lukaku, guided the youngsters well.

Coates - Great game, didn't put a wrong foot.

Robinson - See above, he and Coates were the 2 best defenders in a very solid back 4 today.

Assaidi - skinned Dawson time and time again, he looked fantastic. On that performance I think we'll see him starting very soon, either giving Sterling or Borini a much needed rest. He'd probably be my MOTM except for...

Sahin - 2 good goals, played a tidy match, looked like a very classy player who deserves to start. First goal was a rocket that maybe should have been saved, 2nd was a great run and fine finish. He tackled well, did really well as a deep lying midfielder. MOTM.

Pacheco - To me, he did the most for himself and his LFC career then anyone tonight. Here's a player whose LFC career I figured was over a good year ago. He didn't do too much to impress in preseason and was pretty anonymous playing out of position against Young Boys. I thought he was fantastic today and showed BR he can play in the system, worked really hard, tracked back and tackled well, great quick passing, ran forward and had some excellent chances. I'm very happy for him and I think on this performance he's made staked a claim for more playing time.

Downing - the man who did the least for himself, he failed to really make an impact on a team populated by kids. While he wasn't awful, he just didn't fit in. While Assaidi was marvelous on one side and just whipped in quality crosses, Downing seemed to dribble a bit and kick poor wasteful crosses out of desperation. He hasn't shown he's got the quality to be in the starting 11 and now the youngsters are completely showing him up.

Yesil - Pretty good debut, loads of confidence, seems like he wants to take everyone on. He was pretty good but more importantly showed potential. I think we'll see more of him this season.

Subs:

Suso - Great run to create the goal, immediate impact. He looked very good during his time. He'll play a good amount this season.

Sinclair - congrats at being the youngest player to feature for LFC, didn't look out of place, didn't need to do too much. He almost got through alone at one point.

And Brendan Rogers - Love that he played though youth and it paid off. They seem to really take to the system very well, better then the senior team in fact. That's very good for the future.

Very pleased with this result.
I take it you purposely left out Henderson to represent your critique of him.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Great performance from the lads tonight. Will probably come back in to talk about it a little more later, but the thing I want to say first is - Considering how threadbare we supposedly are, and how badly we supposedly messed up in the transfer window, our squad actually seems as good as it has in a long time (minus a striker). I've never been as excited about our wingers as I am at the moment, our midfield has got great depth and quality, our centre backs are fairly good, we've got a never-ending supply of talent at fullback (right back especially).