• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
Well done young Reds!!! the winner was just class, pure and simple - 'Death by football'

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Whose backup would you rather him be?
I think Henderson is a useful squad player, and should hopefully keep developing by getting time in cup matches, but I just don't see him getting selected over either Allen or Lucas (when healthy) in the holding or link-up midfleid position.

Of the other younger midfielders, I see Shelvey as Gerrard's long term replacement in the next 2-3 years as the attacking/goal scoring mid, and Suso as the creative (Iniesta) style midfielder.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Carra - Very good, took a lot of criticism but he dealt well with Lukaku, guided the youngsters well.
Agree with you except for this one.

Thought Carra struggled badly with Lukaku. Involved in the situation ahead of their shot from 20 yards which Jones saved, and cleared the ball skywards when Lukaku and Jones crashed (should've shielded Lukaku off then, Jones was off his line and would've caught it). Still wins a lot of duels but things are just going far too slowly. In his last season, surely.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Highlights should be part of the BBC League cup show at 11.15pm

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Just want to mention Wisdom and Robinson as our fullabacks today were awesome. Every team wants to be '2 deep' in quality and I know that Kelly is out now, but with these two young lads are fullback spots are going to be covered for a long time to come.

Ed878

TIA New Signing
[quote name='craig bellamy's golf club' timestamp='1348693757' post='5942']
Chelsea vs manu, oh and taw has claimed that sunday's ref was sat next to fergie two weeks ago at a charity do....hmmmmmmmmmm

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I thought both center backs did very well today, Coates played great. Nice experience for both Wisdom and Robinson, but I would be nervous if the started a PL game. Thought Wisdom played slightly better against YB, but he seemed to calm down and play better as the game went on. Assaidi has to start on Sat instead of Borini on that showing. He was awsome. Hendo had a great first half and faded a little in the second half, but he kept the ball moving and didn't lose it when it came to him. Yesil went for goal every time he got the ball and I am sure the coaching staff will work on him picking his head up and picking the correct option when he is infront of goal, but looked clever on the ball. Nothing more needs to be said about Sahin's performance and I think Downing is done. Not interested in seeing him play again. Suso had a great cameo and created the last goal.

bigdai77

TIA New Signing
couldnt see the game tonight but reports are great. will be at anfield next week for udinese, cant wait.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Jones- One slip up can't excuse but solid if unspectacular for rest of match, bit too quick to hoof it up field few times though which just led to ball returning quickly.

Wisdom- Loving this lad, not a single step wrong, wrongly yellow carded as won the ball.

Coates- Gets better every game easily our third choice centre back now based on performances, to think how young he still is too!

Carragher- Coped. Best I can say. Didn't let us down, handled a difficult Lukaku when needed to, but needed a lot of help.

Robinson- Won't be long now till he is our first choice left back unless Enrique gets dramatically better.

Henderson- Clear headed in centre, made sure everything went right without grabbing any glory for himself, definition of a team player.

Sahin- Showed why Real Madrid wanted him. Only going to get better.

Pacheco- Definitely played attacking mid not supporting striker and did it well. Tracked back, made some great movements and thread some fantastic balls through which weren't always used well by others.

Downing- Didn't do anything too wrong, didn't do anything too right either. Worrying that every time the ball was passed out to him I started shouting "NOOOO" at the screen! Not even 4th choice on wings these days sorry.

Assaidi- Bargain of the century???? Will be worth ten times what we paid by end of season based on tonight!

Yesil- Shame he got crowded out so much but showed flashes he will one day be great for us, just worried it might take a while yet.

Suso- Guy is amazing, going to be a legend one day. Two cameos back to back, responsible for build up play in both games that led to important goals.

Sinclair- I wanted him to score sooooo bad. Did look like a boy being thrown about by men though. Nice to see him but got impression was too soon but yet again bright flashes.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
What a fantastic performance from the BOYS showed the older players how to do it.
Assiadi needs to start league games thats how you play out wide Downing (out in January).
Sahin get this kid signed up always looking forward for a pass take note Henderson.
Wisdom very solid game.
Yesil looked good needs to be aware whats around him though had a few chances to slip someone in.
Coates had a very good game unlucky not to be on the scoresheet.
Robinson excellent was never scared to go forward same with Wisdom.
Suso defo needs to get more game time very confident on the ball.
Well done again Boys. YNWA

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
My take on the players' performances:

Brad Jones (7.5): I wasn't too happy to see him in goal, after having watched him being extremely rusty against YB last week, but credit whrere credit is due... I thought he was excellent after his initial blunder, he saved our skins several times, especially during the second half, and the very fact that he was able to gain back his confidence displayed mental strength. Well done Brad, and sorry for having doubts about you. Well done to BR for maintaining his trust in him. He finds himself repaid well tonight for his trust.

Jack Robinson (7): Did his job very well against a strong Fortune. It's good to see him back in the first team.

Jamie Carragher (7.5): Let's admit it, all of us thought he'd be eaten alive by Lukaku and co., but our stalwart looked actually having good legs, and his experience was invaluable for the young players around him. Well done Carra!

Seb Coates (7): Looked strong again, could have had a goal on that free-kick from Sahin. Solid performance.

Andre Wisdom (7): I was looking forward to see a bit more of this player after the YB match, and against significantly stronger opposition. He had some difficult moments, especially during the first half, when he got a yellow for complaining, but he looked always composed on the ball, strong and with enough technical skill to get out of tricky situations. A great prospect it seems!

Jordan Henderson (7): Had some initial difficulties (I think he has some responsibility on the goal, but I'm not sure), but then he settled very well in that deep midfield role.

Nuri Sahin (9): MoM for me. He was at the heart of everything tonight, looked fantastic on the ball, with exactly the right mixture of keeping it simple, but also knowing when to go forward or launch a long pass. I said it when we were linked with him, and then when he was confirmed at LFC: this guy is an absolute Ferrari, and will very soon start as a regular in the first team. His two goals show qualities that we have missed in recent seasons: the first comes from a long shot, finally! Since Hamann's, and then Alonso's times, we haven't had a player who can score goals from a long distance (especially as Gerrard has decided he doesn't want to shoot anymore from a long distance...). The second displayed his sense for going forward. It was an absolute collective beauty, probably one of the best goals we have scored in recent years! That guy will give us much pleasure this season, and hopefully beyond!

Stewart Downing (6): by far the most anonymous player in the squad. BR is obviously trying to find him a position in the squad, but it doesn't look good for Stewart, especially with all these great youngsters coming left, right and centre, and playing way better than him...

Dani Pacheco (7): looked much better than against YB, in a more familiar role, allowing him to display all his excellent technical qualities. Very unlucky to not get a goal on that curled shot over the keeper, which landed on the bar instead of in the net. Delighted for Dani that he has finally found his way in this squad, and hopefully we'll see much more from him this season!

Assaidi (7.5): had a great game down the left side, was a constant thorn in WBA defence, his assist was as sweet as any, and many of his crosses were fantastic. That lad seems to be a very decent reinforcement. Well done BR for bringing him in!

Samed Yesil (7): couldn't score his goal, but was a regular threat, almost got Foster with his swerving shot, and was really good at linking up with his team-mates. Very promising!

Subs:

Suso (7): looked immediately decisive when coming in for a tiring Pacheco. The way he launched that action for the winning goal... only two words for it: class-act!

Jerome Sinclair (6): this little cameo will have shown to Jerome how much he has still to learn before becoming a regular for this club. Looks a threat however, with real pace to burn.

General thoughts on the game:

That was a really enjoyable match, with clear-cut chances on both sides. This match could actually have finished 3-5 again! :)

There is so much positives to take from this one. Actually, the first-teamers will surely think that their positions will soon be under threat if they don't perform. That will hopefully spur them on to play their hearts out against Norwich and get a good win next Saturday.

Well done to BR for playing so many youngsters, but it seems that they are able to integrate what he wants sooner than the senior members of the team. The way the ball was passed around the pitch was really enjoyable to watch at times, and if this is a sign of things to come in the future, then it looks really good!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Brad Jones (7.5): I wasn't too happy to see him in goal, after having watched him being extremely rusty against YB last week, but credit whrere credit is due... I thought he was excellent after his initial blunder, he saved our skins several times, especially during the second half, and the very fact that he was able to gain back his confidence displayed mental strength. Well done Brad, and sorry for having doubts about you. Well done to BR for maintaining his trust in him. He finds himself repaid well tonight for his trust.

I would have been pleasantly suprised if Pepe came away with some of those saves to be honest.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Have to say, I am a bit curious as to why Rodgers chose to bring on Sinclair ahead of Morgan. Was it just to prove, by putting on the youngest player ever in a Liverpool shirt, that the youth revolution is on? Morgan has shown some real flashes in the time he's had in pre-season and early season.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Brilliant to see a thread full of positive comments for once lol

We did play some lovely football however lol

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
I'm so happy with our toddlers' win, I can drink any beer looking liquid.

BTW, Carra was like Finding Nemo's dad. overseeing what all the babies are doing.
Anyone got a jpg from the movie?

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
Sly sports Stats saying West brom 50.2 possession Liverpool 49.8 surely thats very wrong.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We had about 57% I think

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
big thanks to rafa!! he put alot of work into our acadamy! suso looks so classy on the ball. love it

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Y'all are forgetting that Sly always subtracts about 15% off of anything LFC.

Smash

TIA Youth Team
Happy for the win but thought the ref had a very shaky first half. Suso is our new impact sub. Oussama was amazing, I was highly impressed with everything he did. Sahin and Pacheco worked extremely hard, it made me chuckle watching Sahin pulling on the shoulders chasing after players. Proud of Sinclair, I thought he was gonna get a goal off one of those break opportunities, it must bring tremendous confidence to him to be brought on in a 1-1 game. Overall I am satisfied with the entirety of the game, and chuffed for all the lads that got to gain experience against a very decent WBA.