• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Tough one, eh?

How about a diamond midfield?

Lucas
Gerrard Allen LW
Sahin

very difficult to leave Lucas out. Also, in a year or so Shelvey will be first 11 material too. I really hope Sahin stays in any event.
Funny to think I listed 7 and would be absolutely thrilled with practically any combination of 3 of them. Think we could see Suso play in the front 3 but apart from that don't think we would see anything other than 3 of those in centre midfield don't think Rodgers would play a diamond.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Assaidi. Terrorizing the left.

He's like the wind.
That's exactly what I thought. *cough*

What's sad about the clip of the second goal, is that it's only telling half the story. There was about 30 seconds of bang-bang-bang one touch passing on the right flank that led up to the ball coming to Suso. One of the best goals I've seen from the club in a long, long time.

snape

TIA Youth Team
Assaidi was man of the match for me, even though Sahin got both goals. He absolutely dominated the left wing and beat his man time and again. It's a hard toss up between Sterling and Assaidi for the left wing. I suspect Sterling may be just slightly faster but Assaidi has got more tricks.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
How about Assaidi and Sterling flanking Suarez? That's a lot of pace and trickery. Borini as the impact sub for any one of the front 3.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Even with injuries I still can't fit all the players I want to see into a starting 11. That has to be a good sign. Want Gerrard, Allen, Sahin, Suso, Assaidi, Sterling and Suarez to all start against Norwich they've all earnt it. Can we play 3 at the back Mr Rodgers pretty please? Is it true Sahin can play left back? Or was that just something Real Madrid were faffing about with in preseason?

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
How about Assaidi and Sterling flanking Suarez? That's a lot of pace and trickery. Borini as the impact sub for any one of the front 3.
I hope we get to see that at some point. Loved Assaidi today, after a while, Dawson just started fouling him as he just had no other option, he seemed to get by him at will.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I'd rather have Suarez and Assaidi flanking someone who can stick the ball in the net. Don't get me wrong, love me my Luis, but having all the trickery in the world won't amount to anything when the final ball will come to someone who tends to fluff it. A lot.

(That said, last time Luis played Naaaahrich, he did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LWxULgFALI

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
Anyone else getting the sense that our 'failure' late in the transfer window was somewhat intentional?
I know it sounds a little conspiratorial but think about it: Would we supporters have accepted this team sheet tonight if we had the likes of Llorente, Dempsey, Ramirez, and the raft of other high profile players we were linked to this summer available?
I imagine Henry wanting to go with youth and saying 'Let the fans be angry with me and not Rodgers and then we'll blood our youngsters out of necessity'.
(I'll admit, I have been at the pub ^_^)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Just got back, brilliant away day.

Was a fantastic game to be at, our youngsters played some very good football and the atmosphere was absolutely superb.

Assaidi, Coates and Sahin were brilliant. As was Suso when he came on, Pacheco worked very hard and was pretty decent.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Does anyone else think Suarez is the new Gerrard? when he plays everyone else just gives him the ball and expects goals/magic? Like Gerrard in the mid 00s, he played the team slackened off. Now it's a case of us looking better without him.

Great result, but I can't help but feel it is a little insight into the mind set of the senior players

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Wasn't expectant for this but the team does seem to play better in relatively low stakes cup games these days, not bad at all

Sahin is a quality player. We just havent seen him fit yet. Won't score 2 every game but he's way better on form than the duffers we had in the centre last season

Rest were mostly good. Assadi was encouraging. His fitness is known to be a bit suspect but stood up well I thought. Decent on the ball

Downing still not doing nearly enough. Is good Rodgers is playing the kids though to tell players places aren't set in stone. But he's not responding to my eye. Get rid

Nice also to have a rare come from behind win. Maybe the kids could help slowly change the bad squad mentality a bit

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Does anyone else think Suarez is the new Gerrard? when he plays everyone else just gives him the ball and expects goals/magic? Like Gerrard in the mid 00s, he played the team slackened off. Now it's a case of us looking better without him.

Great result, but I can't help but feel it is a little insight into the mind set of the senior players
You know, I was thinking something similar, although with a different emphasis. I think Luis gets the ball around the box and just tries to do too much because he has less faith in those around him. The more those around him start to perform, the less necessary I think he'll find his attempts to beat four men inside the box. He's already starting to give responsibility to Sterling and I imagine he'll do the same with Assaidi and even Suso as time goes on. It's been a real problem for our attack when he gets the ball and pretty much takes on the responsibility to score on his own. I'd like to see a lot more goals from us like the second we scored today, and I think Luis would love to be involved in moves like that - he just needs that kind of intelligence and technique on the ball around him.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
To be fair for all Suarez is great, the ball has been bouncing off him a bit of late IMO. I think he has loads of pressure on him to score and really he should be just as much a creator as a goal scorer. We need a forward who can bang them in, thats why I reckon BR has gone through our options of late, giving young lads a chance too see what he has got in match situations. For me Suarez is a penetrator (dont laugh) we need someone who can work with him.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
What I'm hoping is that talented youth around the world will begin to see that LFC really develops their youth and gives them a fair shot at breaking into the first team, regardless of age, if you prove yourself and work hard you've got a shot. Also we play an attractive brand of attack minded football. We make stars of our reserve squad rather then letting them rot, loaning them out and just spending our money on established stars. Maybe young talent will start picking us over Arsenal, United etc.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Even with injuries I still can't fit all the players I want to see into a starting 11. That has to be a good sign. Want Gerrard, Allen, Sahin, Suso, Assaidi, Sterling and Suarez to all start against Norwich they've all earnt it. Can we play 3 at the back Mr Rodgers pretty please? Is it true Sahin can play left back? Or was that just something Real Madrid were faffing about with in preseason?
I think we will get 6 of your 7, with Assaidi or Sahin starting from the bench.

Anyone else getting the sense that our 'failure' late in the transfer window was somewhat intentional?
I know it sounds a little conspiratorial but think about it: Would we supporters have accepted this team sheet tonight if we had the likes of Llorente, Dempsey, Ramirez, and the raft of other high profile players we were linked to this summer available?
I imagine Henry wanting to go with youth and saying 'Let the fans be angry with me and not Rodgers and then we'll blood our youngsters out of necessity'.
I think there could be some merit to that idea, but we still need to finish high the PL, which requires another CF.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Fact of the matter is we are not as thin up front as some people claim us to be/have been. I would rather continue the growth of Suso and Yesil who is going to be an outstanding buy at 1 million among others than a 29 year old Dempsey.

If we buy Sahin our midfield and back 4 will be set to come. How impressive is Wisdom and Robinson along with Kelly Johnson and Enrique at fullback. We have 3 solid CB's. The growth of Coates is showing each game.

Alot of players will grow to be very good squad players and the big conern of losing expensive older squad players at the very least will go away with young, talanted players that pour their hearts out each time wearing the shirt.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Brilliant from Sahin. Wisdom actually a very impressive player as well, and Yesil fella is also quite a handful by the judge of it. A very good team performance, but showed how weak our defence are though in the opening minutes. That first goal is definitely avoidable, Jones made a bad judgement and did not hang on to the ball well enough. I think it is time to use Gullacsi more. Carragher then got himself shrugged off by that Belgian giant, Lukaku, could have easily be 2 - 0. Lucky the ball struck low and to near post, and Brad Jones were there to block it.

Our goal, the first one came as a surprise to the whole WBA team. Mainly because Sahin is still an unknown entity to the league and to Clarke. He was give so much space and if those boys in WBA ever watch a game of football outside England, they should know how dangerous that would be when Sahin collected the ball from wisdom. They back down and he took a low drive. Good goal. Foster saw it late.

Our second was a very good team goal. Suso again was left with acres of space in the midfield, he took one a defender and laid the ball to Assaidi. This is the part that I have always been hoping to see us do last season, Assaidi, Sinclair and Sahin all in the box. Sahin arriving late, while Suso was moving into the box and laying the ball off to Assaidi to put it between their keeper and defenders. We don't do that often enough last season and that costs us a lot. Often passes like that went sailing past everyone towards the linesman. Sahin was there this time to put the ball in from close range.

This is West Brom, away! A team we struggled to play against with the likes of Gerrard and co. They humiliated us with a 3 - 0 thumping. We beat them with our youth and reserves.

Things to take away from this game is - Mentality. The reserves and kids are out there wanting to impress. They were playing the whole game without fear, and was pushing to impress the manager to pick them the next game. Now this is how every single one of our players should react. Last season, we don't have that luxury because we are stupid enough to loan out Pacheco and the rest are simply too young to make this move. A year makes a difference in football though. Mentality - that is something the senior boys need to adopt and to hold on to. Not fearing the opponent is the key to winning games at times.

We are still not a free goal scoring team yet, and I don't think we are one of those teams with Rodgers who plays a very calculated football emphasise on possession. But our defence need a bit of a boost. We need some clean sheets. Again Rodgers are not really a defensive minded manager and we don't have the players that could track back fast enough when counter-attacking is on for our opponent. Once possession is lost and the midfield is way up the pitch, we are screwed. That needs some addressing.

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
brilliant result! many, many positives from today. A win is fantastic for moral, but to come from behind (twice in a week!) is a real relief... something we haven't managed too many times in recent memory.

I'm getting more and more excited to see what happens in 3 or 4 years when this young core of players become seniors (should BR and themselves all still be around).

Great for Sahin to grab a couple, Suso is truly proving to be worth the while, and a big cheer for Sinclair for his achievement!

Also credit to Brad; a true misery with the first drop, but recovered well and regained his confidence, especially late on in the last 5 minutes when WBA were sending plenty of balls in the air his way.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Fact of the matter is we are not as thin up front as some people claim us to be/have been. I would rather continue the growth of Suso and Yesil who is going to be an outstanding buy at 1 million among others than a 29 year old Dempsey.

If we buy Sahin our midfield and back 4 will be set to come. How impressive is Wisdom and Robinson along with Kelly Johnson and Enrique at fullback. We have 3 solid CB's. The growth of Coates is showing each game.

Alot of players will grow to be very good squad players and the big conern of losing expensive older squad players at the very least will go away with young, talanted players that pour their hearts out each time wearing the shirt.
the fact remains that we have no one who can score goals consistently in open play. What we've scored, what two goals from open play? Development is great, and I want to see that continue, but we need top 4, and with our current squad that ain't gonna happen for quite some time. There needs to be a balance and we've got great creators, but we created a shit ton of chances last season (1st or 2nd in the league, I believe) and that wasn't enough. We need to win games, and winning games requires scoring goals. Arsenal weren't brilliant last season but RVP scored by the bushel.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
I'm a bit surprised only one poster has mentioned the tackle by Mulumbu on Hendo. A perfect example of the lack of consistency/incompetence/anti Liverpool bias shown by the referees in just about every game this season. It would be interesting to see a comparison of decisions for/against us in the domestic competitions against the Europa with non UK and theoretically more neutral European refs but I can't be arsed looking them all up
If this is the team of the future, bring it on.
Downing was the real stand out. Sorry lad, the shirt doesn't fit, please hand it back when you go out of the door.
Talking of shirts, lovely gesture by Pacheco (see post #18 this thread, page 1)

YNWA

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
but to come from behind (twice in a week!) is a real relief... something we haven't managed too many times in recent memory.
In my very recent memory, we didn't do that either. Twice in a week? Which game were you thinking apart from the one last night?

OhYaBeauty

Brilliant from Sahin. Wisdom actually a very impressive player as well, and Yesil fella is also quite a handful by the judge of it. A very good team performance, but showed how weak our defence are though in the opening minutes. That first goal is definitely avoidable, Jones made a bad judgement and did not hang on to the ball well enough. I think it is time to use Gullacsi more. Carragher then got himself shrugged off by that Belgian giant, Lukaku, could have easily be 2 - 0. Lucky the ball struck low and to near post, and Brad Jones were there to block it.

Our goal, the first one came as a surprise to the whole WBA team. Mainly because Sahin is still an unknown entity to the league and to Clarke. He was give so much space and if those boys in WBA ever watch a game of football outside England, they should know how dangerous that would be when Sahin collected the ball from wisdom. They back down and he took a low drive. Good goal. Foster saw it late.

Our second was a very good team goal. Suso again was left with acres of space in the midfield, he took one a defender and laid the ball to Assaidi. This is the part that I have always been hoping to see us do last season, Assaidi, Sinclair and Sahin all in the box. Sahin arriving late, while Suso was moving into the box and laying the ball off to Assaidi to put it between their keeper and defenders. We don't do that often enough last season and that costs us a lot. Often passes like that went sailing past everyone towards the linesman. Sahin was there this time to put the ball in from close range.

This is West Brom, away! A team we struggled to play against with the likes of Gerrard and co. They humiliated us with a 3 - 0 thumping. We beat them with our youth and reserves.

Things to take away from this game is - Mentality. The reserves and kids are out there wanting to impress. They were playing the whole game without fear, and was pushing to impress the manager to pick them the next game. Now this is how every single one of our players should react. Last season, we don't have that luxury because we are stupid enough to loan out Pacheco and the rest are simply too young to make this move. A year makes a difference in football though. Mentality - that is something the senior boys need to adopt and to hold on to. Not fearing the opponent is the key to winning games at times.

We are still not a free goal scoring team yet, and I don't think we are one of those teams with Rodgers who plays a very calculated football emphasise on possession. But our defence need a bit of a boost. We need some clean sheets. Again Rodgers are not really a defensive minded manager and we don't have the players that could track back fast enough when counter-attacking is on for our opponent. Once possession is lost and the midfield is way up the pitch, we are screwed. That needs some addressing.
Optimism, Eddie?

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Best not to get carried away, the youngsters were good but WBA weren't particularly great.

The hunger of the lads was what got me and the fact they seemed to get what BR is trying to implement better than some of the first team. Hopefully that performance coupled with the young boys game will be a kick up the arse for the team as a whole.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every game we're improving and we are going to inflict a hefty defeat on someone very soon.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Hope we can keep em all, can defo see alot of these guys making a real impact on the first 11 and the longer we can keep the kids together, playing the Rodgers system the better they will be when they are our full time first 11. Certainly one of the main reasons we see Barca dominate so much, the youngsters come through together and end up in the first team together once they mature by which time they know each others games inside and out.

Does anyone have extended highlights we had no coverage here and my stream was hopeless

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
What a game!
So good to see a bunch of lads actually enjoying the game and the results were there for all to see.
Too many positives to mention but as someone said it was the older guys who were sweating.

PS. Kudos to the Everton fans who sang Justice to the 96, against Leeds on Tuesday.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Seems the lack of transfer activity and injuries have definitely been a blessing in disguise.

Fair play to Rodgers however for having the balls to train, sorry - educate, and field these younglings, I don't think it would have happened under either Benitez or Dalglish to this extent.