• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
Seriously think suso should be given a start in the middle of the front three.

------------------reina-----------------
Johnson-agger-skrtel-Robinson
-----------------Allen------------------
-------Gerrard ------sahin-----------
Saurez---------suso--------sterling

Has to be our strongest team at the moment. Suso might have more success than Saurez in that role

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
thatd be fucking brave.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Seriously think suso should be given a start in the middle of the front three.

------------------reina-----------------
Johnson-agger-skrtel-Robinson
-----------------Allen------------------
-------Gerrard ------sahin-----------
Saurez---------suso--------sterling

Has to be our strongest team at the moment. Suso might have more success than Saurez in that role
i agree that sahin should get the nod before Hendo to replace shelvy in midfield. replacing borini with suso, not sure the kid is there yet. defenitly should be the first sub for borini or suarez.
robinson or enrique, that is a big decision, enriques form is very low, but he has experience and can regain his form. robinson still makes to many stupid errors from lack of experience. i think i would stick to enrique yet.

i would love to see more of assaidi, though. i think he will start giving suarez a run for his money, pretty soon.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A performance full of character and class.Brendan has really instilled a never say die attitude into the squad as was shown on Sunday by the brave performance against Halseys team.
I find it hard to understand how some negative thinkers on here can refer to " a poor squad mentality", ridiculous statement.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Its not a ridiculous statement. The mentality has been poor for some time now.

We've seen over and over again over the last few seasons that a goal against the run of play, a period of dominance failing to be rewarded, and a an opposition team starting to mount a bit of a fight back, have been the cues for the team to crumple mentality.

But Rodgers is doing some excellent work to address this, and the mentality in the last three games has been superb.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Another really good fearless performance, surely we're gonna win a league game soon?

Thought Wisdom and Robinson were excellent and Assaidi is rapid, something we've missed for too long. Pacheco was excellent and did himself alot of good, but, for me, Sahin was a class apart. Absolute quality, getting him in was a masterstroke by Brendan. With him playing like that Jonjo won't be missed. Also, it was great to see the lads come from behind, a stronger mentality seems to be slowly but surely returning.

Great to see Sinclair get on the pitch and that will be a feather in Brendan's cap.

Suso was his usual class self. We have got a top, top player there, well done Rafa. Does anyone else think he plays just like Silva?

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Its not a ridiculous statement. The mentality has been poor for some time now.

We've seen over and over again over the last few seasons that a goal against the run of play, a period of dominance failing to be rewarded, and a an opposition team starting to mount a bit of a fight back, have been the cues for the team to crumple mentality.

But Rodgers is doing some excellent work to address this, and the mentality in the last three games has been superb.
This has really only been a problem since rafa left,i think.Obviously managers have different approaches with how they deal with players(individually and as a group) and a lot would also depend on the group of players involved.Rafa had it spot on with the players he had but since his departure we have also had an awful lot going on at the club which might have meant both woy and kenny taking their eye of the ball a little in this respect or even trying a different approach due to the circumstances we where in.
As it now stand ,BR has his way of dealing with them and it seems to be working with most of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This has really only been a problem since rafa left,i think.Obviously managers have different approaches with how they deal with players(individually and as a group) and a lot would also depend on the group of players involved.Rafa had it spot on with the players he had but since his departure we have also had an awful lot going on at the club which might have meant both woy and kenny taking their eye of the ball a little in this respect or even trying a different approach due to the circumstances we where in.
As it now stand ,BR has his way of dealing with them and it seems to be working with most of them.
Since we finished 2nd. The mentality problems really started in Rafa's final year. In fact as far back as I can accurately remember it has always been something that would raise its head every now and then for the odd game. Think it may take sometime before its fully eliminated but agreed Rodgers seems to be the best man to end it. Even in our disappointing League games the players heads haven't been dropping. They haven't seemed to be giving up on matches theyve seemed to be playing and fighting till the final whistle. Maybe after the third goal in the West Brom game but that also could of been fatigued.

gb1986

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
the fact remains that we have no one who can score goals consistently in open play. What we've scored, what two goals from open play? Development is great, and I want to see that continue, but we need top 4, and with our current squad that ain't gonna happen for quite some time. There needs to be a balance and we've got great creators, but we created a shit ton of chances last season (1st or 2nd in the league, I believe) and that wasn't enough. We need to win games, and winning games requires scoring goals. Arsenal weren't brilliant last season but RVP scored by the bushel.
And anybody that thought Dempsey or Carroll was going to score goals by the bushl is not living in reality. Top 4 may be out of reach this season. Funny how certain people aren't bitching about not replacing Maxi Kuyt Bellers anymore.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
What about Assaidi. He had a great game, is quick and tricky. A front trio with Assaidi - Suarez - Sterling will be a living hell to the defence of our opponments. Lots of pace and tricks. Would love to see them together
Sahin/Suso - Allen - Gerrard as the trio behind. Tiki taka here we come!

Norwich bee aware!

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
And anybody that thought Dempsey or Carroll was going to score goals by the bushl is not living in reality. Top 4 may be out of reach this season. Funny how certain people aren't bitching about not replacing Maxi Kuyt Bellers anymore.
I was never a fan of any of them leaning bar maybe maxi. And Dempsey won't score 23 goals but I'm sure he'll be good for at least 8-10 this season and I highly doubt the youth players combine will add that. Dempsey would have been a great transitional player got about 3 years til he's done and he'd be phased out as the young players were phased in instead of putting all the pressure on their shoulders. And I didn't just want Dempsey I wanted him and a poacher. And those two (lack of) moves will cost us when we need direly to get back into the champions league and the champions league revenue.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I was never a fan of any of them leaning bar maybe maxi. And Dempsey won't score 23 goals but I'm sure he'll be good for at least 8-10 this season and I highly doubt the youth players combine will add that. Dempsey would have been a great transitional player got about 3 years til he's done and he'd be phased out as the young players were phased in instead of putting all the pressure on their shoulders. And I didn't just want Dempsey I wanted him and a poacher. And those two (lack of) moves will cost us when we need direly to get back into the champions league and the champions league revenue.
Clint Dempsey would not have poached us into the CL this season or ever. You used Arsenal and RVP as an example in your original post so tell me which forward of RVP's ilk we should have gotten this summer because I guess there just everywhere to be had.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Clint Dempsey would not have poached us into the CL this season or ever. You used Arsenal and RVP as an example in your original post so tell me which forward of RVP's ilk we should have gotten this summer because I guess there just everywhere to be had.
Where there many top forwards available this summer.I can't think of many/any that moved who would have been in RVPs calibre.We could have put in bids for certain strikers but would we have gotten them or even offered enough.
Dempsey would have provided goals but i wouldn't have wanted him as a striker, more as the replacement for kuyt.I think he probably would have got double figures for us which would have gone some way to alleviating the pressure to score on the young lads we now find we are having to play up front ,as well as the rest of the team.

Libero

Yesil was unlucky not to score imo.

We played well its good to see the young ones taking their chance and making the most of it. Having said that it was good seeing sahin and assiadi showing us what they are capable of. Looking forward to the weekends game.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
You're missing my point. I said I wanted dempsey and a poacher. We're obviously not getting a falcao or an RVP, but a 15 goals a season striker plus dempsey would have got us in contention for the CL spots at least.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Kuyt: Borini
Maxi; Assaidi
Bellamy: ?
Carroll: ?
Adam: Sahin
Spearing: Allen
Aurelio: ?

Lost three players without replacements (mostly significantly better or/and younger and faster), but look how many youth team players are exploding onto the scene. Yes we are still about as useless as a chocolate tea pot in front of goal but that's been the case for bout 18 months. We are actually a better team after the transfer window than before and that's all you can ever ask for in football. We may be disappointed that the improvement wasn't more dramatic than it was but its done and dusted we just need to get on with it. From my view point we have a fantastic group of defenders they just need to get used to the new system. We aren't bad in goal (wheres Doni enquiring minds gotta know) certainly teams near top of league that are weaker there. Midfield is our star in crown right now I really believe its the strongest deepest midfied in the league. Not great up top but thats our only issue and its not a new one.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
You're missing my point. I said I wanted dempsey and a poacher. We're obviously not getting a falcao or an RVP, but a 15 goals a season striker plus dempsey would have got us in contention for the CL spots at least.
I'm not sure about getting a for sure 15 goal a season striker, but we bought Borini. Yes he's struggling right now, but in time I see no reason why he won't come good for us. Giroud for Arsenal the same way. Rodgers said it will take time. We were not anywhere close team wise to say we were one class forward away from taking one of the top 4 spots from United, City, Arsenal or Chelsea all the while learning a new system. Clint Dempsey is not good enough to get into Spurs' 11 and has done jack in the league cup game yesterday and in their Europa League so far. Not sure why he was going to score about 10 goals for us just cus. He would have taken playing time away from Suso and Yesil among others. No thanks. With Sterling, Suso, Pacheco, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil and others getting to grow we might be able to say hey lets spend 20 million plus on a player next summer. You can't win the Kentuck Derby with a stable of donkeys. If we sell Carroll we will have about 40 million to spend with less holes to fill now wiht those young players coming through.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Suso has become my favorite player. I think he deserves to play more and more.... I really enjoyed watching that match.. I know Rodgers had to be smiling on that second goal. I see a lot of them type of goals being scored in our future... that's the Rodgers system trademark goal......

the overall coaching and managing of this team is a lot better than the last few seasons imo.. I know the results haven't been there yet to prove it but I personally can see it.

I am hugely in favor of Rodgers now that I have seen enough.... at first I wasn't sure about him but I'm convinced he will get us back to where we want to be.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm not sure about getting a for sure 15 goal a season striker, but we bought Borini. Yes he's struggling right now, but in time I see no reason why he won't come good for us. Giroud for Arsenal the same way. Rodgers said it will take time. We were not anywhere close team wise to say we were one class forward away from taking one of the top 4 spots from United, City, Arsenal or Chelsea all the while learning a new system. Clint Dempsey is not good enough to get into Spurs' 11 and has done jack in the league cup game yesterday and in their Europa League so far. Not sure why he was going to score about 10 goals for us just cus. He would have taken playing time away from Suso and Yesil among others. No thanks. With Sterling, Suso, Pacheco, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil and others getting to grow we might be able to say hey lets spend 20 million plus on a player next summer. You can't win the Kentuck Derby with a stable of donkeys. If we sell Carroll we will have about 40 million to spend with less holes to fill now wiht those young players coming through.
Roughly agree with all you say. Essentially we are at a stage now were moving forwards we can trust this young squad to continue to progress and get better. We don't need to sign half a dozen players every window or struggle to cope. All we need to do is add one or two per window to add a bit of class in certain areas, which will probably be up front for now.

Edit: Plus people need to give Borini a break he isn't playing that badly and he is only 21 for Christs sake!

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I liked what I saw in Assaidi yesterday.More than his ability his tactical sense was brilliant.He knew when to run at an opponent, when to not and pass it sideways and when to get the ball in the box.His ability to choose the right moment was impressive.

I know I will probably get a bit of stick here for saying this, but he should be our first choice ahead of Sterling.My reasons are:-

1]Assiadi is tactically better.Unlike Sterling who tends to mostly cut inside and at times becomes predictable, Assaidi at least mixes it up.That is mostly down to being more experienced.

2]The most important reason why Assaidi should be first choice.Sterling is special.....no two ways about it.But he is 17.He needs to be protected and allowed to grow slowly.Using him week in and week out in PL is not the answer to that---inspite of his massive talent.I know BR's doesn't have many options and the young lad has performed, but the last thing I want is him being over used and burned out.He is still raw as a player.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I liked what I saw in Assaidi yesterday.More than his ability his tactical sense was brilliant.He knew when to run at an opponent, when to not and pass it sideways and when to get the ball in the box.His ability to choose the right moment was impressive.

I know I will probably get a bit of stick here for saying this, but he should be our first choice ahead of Sterling.My reasons are:-

1]Assiadi is tactically better.Unlike Sterling who tends to mostly cut inside and at times becomes predictable, Assaidi at least mixes it up.That is mostly down to being more experienced.

2]The most important reason why Assaidi should be first choice.Sterling is special.....no two ways about it.But he is 17.He needs to be protected and allowed to grow slowly.Using him week in and week out in PL is not the answer to that---inspite of his massive talent.I know BR's doesn't have many options and the young lad has performed, but the last thing I want is for to be over used and burned out.He is still raw as a player.
Two young players, and we are alive in four competitions. It is almost a moot point, they could basically be rotated.

OhYaBeauty

2]The most important reason why Assaidi should be first choice.Sterling is special.....no two ways about it.But he is 17.He needs to be protected and allowed to grow slowly.Using him week in and week out in PL is not the answer to that---inspite of his massive talent.I know BR's doesn't have many options and the young lad has performed, but the last thing I want is him being over used and burned out.He is still raw as a player.
Two young players, and we are alive in four competitions. It is almost a moot point, they could basically be rotated.
It is a good point, though. I'd rather see Sterling in the easier competitions to let him grow a bit more slowly. His first senior appearance was only a few months ago so I'd rather see him in the Europa league and the cups if we have someone who can take his place in the PL. That way he can grow slowly.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Roughly agree with all you say. Essentially we are at a stage now were moving forwards we can trust this young squad to continue to progress and get better. We don't need to sign half a dozen players every window or struggle to cope. All we need to do is add one or two per window to add a bit of class in certain areas, which will probably be up front for now.

Edit: Plus people need to give Borini a break he isn't playing that badly and he is only 21 for Christs sake!
Essentially we can now be in a postion where we can 'cherry pick' certain players at certain postions to help push us over to the next level. That is if Sterling, Suso, Pacheco, Shelvey, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil, Coates etc. continue to get games and get better. I have doubt in that being the case.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Erm Assaidi is not 'That Young', considering he made his debut in 2006 and played more than 100 games collectively for his last 3 clubs and not to forget his 8 international appearances.
He is 24.

Sterling is 17.Was playing in the reserves, under 18 and Next gen until last season.