• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: West Brom 1- 2 Liverpool (League Cup)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Essentially we can now be in a postion where we can 'cherry pick' certain players at certain postions to help push us over to the next level. That is if Sterling, Suso, Pacheco, Shelvey, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil, Coates etc. continue to get games and get better. I have doubt in that being the case.
I actually think you are only scratching the surfae on our young talent there, and if any don't live up to expectations there will be more young players coming through by the time we know that. We will be able to cherry pick for specific areas and be a lot fussier over the style of players we recruit. I'm not talking price wise or anything like that although money would clearly stretch further. But for instance Assaidi seems perfect in terms of skill set and attitude and cost pennies, Downing cost a lot and seems to not fit in terms of skill set or attitude. One in January and 2 in the summer (not including Sahin if a deal can be reached) would be my guess and Downing and Carroll being moved on next summer. Anyway getting off topic now. Who was your top 5 performers for the game? Mine were Sahin, Assaidi, Pacheco, Suso and Henderson.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Erm Assaidi is not 'That Young', considering he made his debut in 2006 and played more than 100 games collectively for his last 3 clubs and not to forget his 8 international appearances.
He is 24.

Sterling is 17.Was playing in the reserves, under 18 and Next gen until last season.
True, and I would agree with the greater need to shelter Sterling as a result. But with the number of games, the two could be used interchangeably and kept to an average of a week's rest.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
just as all i'm very impressed with the victory... we didnt loose heart, kept the tempo and more imp we scored!
i wont mind lets this team play on pl match... to give the seniors a shocker!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why are people arguing about whether it should be Sterling or Assaidi? Considering Sterling has done really well on the right when played there why do we have to choose? Why not both on pitch at same time? With Suso playing behind Suarez? Lets Gerrard play next to Allen in the position he thinks he is best in. The you have Shelvey, Sahin, Lucas (when back), Pacheco, Downing (maybe not!!), Borini and *ahem* Cole as well as a bucket load of talented kids all pushing for chances if any of the starters let their work rates drop.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Why are people arguing about whether it should be Sterling or Assaidi? Considering Sterling has done really well on the right when played there why do we have to choose? Why not both on pitch at same time? With Suso playing behind Suarez? Lets Gerrard play next to Allen in the position he thinks he is best in. The you have Shelvey, Sahin, Lucas (when back), Pacheco, Downing (maybe not!!), Borini and *ahem* Cole as well as a bucket load of talented kids all pushing for chances if any of the starters let their work rates drop.
Assaidi, Sterling and even Suarez all appear to more comfortable operating on the left flank - yes even Suarez likes to start wide then cut inside as he gets nearer to goal. It would be interesting to see how Assaidi for example does on the right; at the moment we don't carry much of a threat there (Downing it appears is too scared to take on the attacking responsibility) unless Johnson pushes forward. If Assaidi can adapt sufficently it would be great for the team as we'd then have Sterling or Suarez attacking down the left and Assaidi down the right and the opposition defence wouldn't get a moment's peace!

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
It would be interesting to see how Assaidi for example does on the right; at the moment we don't carry much of a threat there[.]
I'd argue that Suárez can be as effective (if not more) on the right as the left. He has this uncanny ability to get to the byline and then dribble in along it until he finds a pass or shoots. I might even prefer him on the right (when Borini is back) because it forces him to focus less on trying to make the shot for himself (as cutting in from the left encourages) and rather to playing the final pass to a teammate. I think that Suárez/Borini can have the same effect as Suárez/Kuyt did in that game against Manchester United.

OhYaBeauty

I'd argue that Suárez can be as effective (if not more) on the right as the left. He has this uncanny ability to get to the byline and then dribble in along it until he finds a pass or shoots. I might even prefer him on the right (when Borini is back) because it forces him to focus less on trying to make the shot for himself (as cutting in from the left encourages) and rather to playing the final pass to a teammate. I think that Suárez/Borini can have the same effect as Suárez/Kuyt did in that game against Manchester United.
He plays there for Uruguay, too. In a different system, but it goes to show he can do it

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I would have Coates in the discussion. He was excellent. Coates, Sahin, Assaidi, Hendo, and Pacheco
Haha I typed Coates... then deleted and put Henderson....then deleted and put Coates....I repeated that about 6 times. Think Suso was the game changer without his impact it might of been another frustrating night and may of gone to extra time.

I actually agree that right sided wide attacker is Suarez best position however I also think he is still our best current option in the middle until Borini is settled or Yesil/Morgan/Ngoo/Sinclair fully breaks through.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Well if LS can operate on the right then good because he seems to struggle through the middle; that being said then, he, Sterling and Assaidi couldn't play as a front three because the latter two are strictly widemen and we'd need somone in the middle. Borini would be the favourite I suppose but he's hasn't proved to be a hotshot in front of goal so far. We're left with the age-old problem of who's going to score the goals from the chances we create.

kone

TIA Squad Member
We played the best passing football I've seen in a long time last night. It's been a while since I've seen that sort of fluidity.

Brendan has got us ticking, we're got a couple of decent wingers, youth is on the up, the future is red my friends :)

morana

TIA Youth Team
the passing was breathtaking at times. the passage of play before we got the throw in that led to the 2nd goal must have had 30 passes in it and although some of it is side to side at least its to other members of the team. Assaidi was fantastic and closely followed by Sahin but for me I would like to see Coates get more involvement. He is one of the best CB's I have seen in a long while. he has a tendency to go under the ball at times and to run by the guy in possession but in general he has all the attributes to be the new Sami but even better.

Suso as well is fantastic I remember seeing him against manure in the reserves when they came back from 2 down and he scored a cracker (iirc) He seemed bored to acertain extent but the few times in the first team he has being magnificent. I hope he keeps going up and up...

Lets batter the canaries this weekend!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I actually think you are only scratching the surfae on our young talent there, and if any don't live up to expectations there will be more young players coming through by the time we know that. We will be able to cherry pick for specific areas and be a lot fussier over the style of players we recruit. I'm not talking price wise or anything like that although money would clearly stretch further. But for instance Assaidi seems perfect in terms of skill set and attitude and cost pennies, Downing cost a lot and seems to not fit in terms of skill set or attitude. One in January and 2 in the summer (not including Sahin if a deal can be reached) would be my guess and Downing and Carroll being moved on next summer. Anyway getting off topic now. Who was your top 5 performers for the game? Mine were Sahin, Assaidi, Pacheco, Suso and Henderson.
Replace Wisdom and Robinson for Suso and Henderson. Suso came on as a sub and only played about 20 minutes so I can't put him in the top 5 with so many other players playing great even though Suso was great. Henderson didn't do anything to warrant being in the top 5 at all.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Replace Wisdom and Robinson for Suso and Henderson. Suso came on as a sub and only played about 20 minutes so I can't put him in the top 5 with so many other players playing great even though Suso was great. Henderson didn't do anything to warrant being in the top 5 at all.
He won the ball back nearly as many times as the rest of the squad put together and had over 90% passing accuracy playing with real discipline guiding play from deep and never being drawn out of position. He was a big reason for out defensive solidity (after the shaky first 10 minutes at least) and was a big part in our passing and possession. May not have stolen any glory moments but did exactly what the team needed last night and did it very well. Holding midfielders tend to only gain recognition if they do something wrong or do something fantastic that actually wasn't in their remit.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Disagree with Chicago, I thought Henderson had an excellent game as he did last week. Seems some under rate him because he keeps things simple. Having said that it is hard to critisise anyone on that performance.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Disagree with Chicago, I thought Henderson had an excellent game as he did last week. Seems some under rate him because he keeps things simple. Having said that it is hard to critisise anyone on that performance.
He reminds me very much of Lucas a few seasons back, because his work is on the quiet it gets ignored a lot. Lucas obviously wasn't always good of course, but because he wasn't flying in with super violent tackles like Masch (god I miss them) or winning the ball an pinging it around like Alonso he looked worse than he was. Henderson is slightly different in style than Lucas he is more about doing something with the ball when he has it than Lucas and nowhere near as strong defensively yet. But the defensive guide of his game is so much better than many realize and he is extremely solid and reliable when he has the ball.

snape

TIA Youth Team
He reminds me very much of Lucas a few seasons back, because his work is on the quiet it gets ignored a lot. Lucas obviously wasn't always good of course, but because he wasn't flying in with super violent tackles like Masch (god I miss them) or winning the ball an pinging it around like Alonso he looked worse than he was. Henderson is slightly different in style than Lucas he is more about doing something with the ball when he has it than Lucas and nowhere near as strong defensively yet. But the defensive guide of his game is so much better than many realize and he is extremely solid and reliable when he has the ball.
Indeed, let's give Henderson his due. He was solid sitting just before the defence during the match. I'm not saying he was the best player on the pitch but he made an important contribution. He will never be the game-changer but he is one of those guys who will do all the dirty work so somebody else can change the game. Every winning team needs a player like Henderson, able to slot in a a few positions and do so efficiently.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
It was a great game, besides brads error in the beginning (which he made up for through out the game) we played some beautiful football. And we deserved to win more than just 2-1.

I would love to our young guns verses arsenal's always highly praised ones. Think we will kick their arses.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
It was a great game, besides brads error in the beginning (which he made up for through out the game) we played some beautiful football. And we deserved to win more than just 2-1.

I would love to our young guns verses arsenal's always highly praised ones. Think we will kick their arses.
We didn't really play young guns tho did we? Although there were some young players in this team,

Carragher, Jones, Downing, Henderson, Assaidi, Coates, Sahin, Pacheco are all 21 or older, six of those 8 are full internationals.

Only Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil could be classed as young and u21. I'm not knocking them, just saying that the team wasn't as inexperienced and young as people are making out.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We didn't really play young guns tho did we? Although there were some young players in this team,

Carragher, Jones, Downing, Henderson, Assaidi, Coates, Sahin, Pacheco are all 21 or older, six of those 8 are full internationals.

Only Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil could be classed as young and u21. I'm not knocking them, just saying that the team wasn't as inexperienced and young as people are making out.
Suso and Sinclair got meaningful minutes too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Seriously? We only fielded 3 players over 25 none of which start for the first team. If that isn't a young squad (average age was under 24) in your opinion then you have been watching too much youth football or something.

In fact we were only one player off being able to field that team in the Under 21 league that replaced the reserves as you can field 3 over 21 year old players. That should say it all.