• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match West Ham 1 Liverpool 2

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Clearly Coutinho did a vulan mind-meld with Lucas at half time
Didn't recognize Lucas - back heels, running with ball, and that ball through to Flanagan - wow....
no effin way I can concentrate on anything to do with work next week

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
So after all this time, we found out that Lucas is not a good defensive midfielder, but a good ball playing one. FINALLY. Our manager is a genius.

GaryStew1980

TIA First Team
Well we didn't play all that great today for large periods, Suarez and Sturridge are not playing well at the moment and are still a massive threat as they chase lost causes and occupy defenders because all it takes is one second for them to click and it's a goal.

I thought Sakho was strong today, even Skrtel for the most part realised hes a big strong lad and gave as good as he got against Carroll. MIgnolet other than the bang to the face and the arm did well in a very difficult penalty box. The pitch and game didn't suit Coutinho today and Lucas replacing him changed the face of the game, West Ham had two tactics distract us from our usual flowing style and get the ball to Carroll. It worked for a while then we won the midfield battle and took over. I thought Sterling was very strong, I thought Flanno had a solid game for the most part, Johnson was early season Johnson for a large part of the game.

The big talking points were of course the Carroll "challange" on Mignolet, the ref was a joke. I have seen reports that they actually showed the incident on the big screen in the stadium while Taylor was talking to the linesman if this is true it just shows what a coward he was, there was no excuse. It was a quite clear foul, the linesman saw it and then bottled it, there were a number of other incidents throughout the game that he got wrong, the foul on Demel that the linesman 2 yards away didn't see but Taylor seemed to see from 40 yards. It was interesting to see the second pen again after the game Adrian clearly gets a touch on the ball but i think Rodgers was right and i think pictures quite clearly show him grabbing Flannos foot as he was going past, despite Fat Sam saying he was already on the way down, even while watching it when it was quite clear that wasn't the case.

It shouldn't have mattered though, we shouldnt have needed the second pen because the West Ham goal shouldnt have stood and the time it came also had an adverse affect. This title race is very close, it may even come down to goal difference in injury time of the last game and refs shouldnt be the ones having the biggest impact.

That offside decision yesterday for City was hands down one of the worst ever, it came at a time when Southampton were quite dominant and you can tell they lost concentration afterwards and that led to the 3rd goal, despite what Pellegrini said it changed the course of the game a ref possibly allowed City a better position in the title race(they may have won anyway but got a massive helping hand) Today Taylor could have taken us out of the title race or at least hampered us severly, he won't have the balls to admit he was wrong the FA won't have the balls to punish him and he may get to make another decision that could affect the title or a team getting relegated.

So back to a lighter note, 9 on the bounce, what ever happens this season has been a massive success, Rodgers has been a revelation. He was David Brent in the eyes of many last season but even again today he was calmness personified. Theres something special to him and an air of confidence about him, almost arrogance something we have been missing for a few years, Benitez was stubborn more than arrogant, Kenny was neither. It appears that Rodgers is driving us to success by making players and fans believe.

Even if i am trying not to.

Bobbinho

LiverpoolRed said:
Loved the Reds fighting spirit in this one. Things weren't going right (and there will be other days like this) but they battled and battled. Heads didn't even drop after that terrible Mignolet decision and THAT is the mark of champions.

Five to go. Really looking forward to the City game at the cauldron. Let's light it up.
Strange post, firstly, what "terrible" Mignolet decision exactly...???

Secondly, you use three different terms re us.... i.e "Loved the Reds fighting spirit" then "they battled & battled" both terms come across like you are talking from a neutral's perspective...but then you finish with "lets light it up" :scratch:

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Great post GaryStew1980, run out of my quotas of 'likes'.
Agree with you the title race is so close with three contenders, I too get the feeling, it will be lady luck, dubious decisions being made by the referee at crucial times in the game, player injuries and goal difference which will decide the title.

I was so skeptical about Brendan at first, I take everything back what I say about him being inexperienced manager to manage a big club. My cousin thinks he should be the next James Bond after Daniel Craig !

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Genuinely worried today, but the Reds march on.

Fat Sam in a prick.

Bobbinho

GaryStew1980 said:
Well we didn't play all that great today for large periods, Suarez and Sturridge are not playing well at the moment and are still a massive threat as they chase lost causes and occupy defenders because all it takes is one second for them to click and it's a goal.

I thought Sakho was strong today, even Skrtel for the most part realised hes a big strong lad and gave as good as he got against Carroll. MIgnolet other than the bang to the face and the arm did well in a very difficult penalty box. The pitch and game didn't suit Coutinho today and Lucas replacing him changed the face of the game, West Ham had two tactics distract us from our usual flowing style and get the ball to Carroll. It worked for a while then we won the midfield battle and took over. I thought Sterling was very strong, I thought Flanno had a solid game for the most part, Johnson was early season Johnson for a large part of the game.

The big talking points were of course the Carroll "challange" on Mignolet, the ref was a joke. I have seen reports that they actually showed the incident on the big screen in the stadium while Taylor was talking to the linesman if this is true it just shows what a coward he was, there was no excuse. It was a quite clear foul, the linesman saw it and then bottled it, there were a number of other incidents throughout the game that he got wrong, the foul on Demel that the linesman 2 yards away didn't see but Taylor seemed to see from 40 yards. It was interesting to see the second pen again after the game Adrian clearly gets a touch on the ball but i think Rodgers was right and i think pictures quite clearly show him grabbing Flannos foot as he was going past, despite Fat Sam saying he was already on the way down, even while watching it when it was quite clear that wasn't the case.

It shouldn't have mattered though, we shouldnt have needed the second pen because the West Ham goal shouldnt have stood and the time it came also had an adverse affect. This title race is very close, it may even come down to goal difference in injury time of the last game and refs shouldnt be the ones having the biggest impact.

That offside decision yesterday for City was hands down one of the worst ever, it came at a time when Southampton were quite dominant and you can tell they lost concentration afterwards and that led to the 3rd goal, despite what Pellegrini said it changed the course of the game a ref possibly allowed City a better position in the title race(they may have won anyway but got a massive helping hand) Today Taylor could have taken us out of the title race or at least hampered us severly, he won't have the balls to admit he was wrong the FA won't have the balls to punish him and he may get to make another decision that could affect the title or a team getting relegated.

So back to a lighter note, 9 on the bounce, what ever happens this season has been a massive success, Rodgers has been a revelation. He was David Brent in the eyes of many last season but even again today he was calmness personified. Theres something special to him and an air of confidence about him, almost arrogance something we have been missing for a few years, Benitez was stubborn more than arrogant, Kenny was neither. It appears that Rodgers is driving us to success by making players and fans believe.

Even if i am trying not to.
That could actually play in our favour now though, everyone knows that City got a gift in that game & they also go a gift against us at the Etihad, whoever Ref's our next game will surely be aware of how we were hard done by with that decision today which could have been very costly, there will be a lot of pressure on the Ref for our next game to get it right....

It was already mentioned by another poster that it might be a good thing for BR to word his hopes that this next game will not be affected by any more harsh decisions against us.

TheSweetSilverSong

Great result, winning ugly and tactically spot on with Rodgers switching to the diamond and how great it was to see Lucas as a CM in the diamond work! Yet another option - Rodgers seems to be reinventing player roles and creating depth out of thin air:
-Gerrard HM
-Sterling at tip of diamond midfield (in addition to his wing forward/winger position)
-Coutinho as a CM in 4-1-2-3 or as diamond tip of midfield
-Lucas as a diamond midfield CM (in addition to being back up for HM)

Back to the game, delighted with the win, and glad we can win a game despite a bad decision - to which the ref admitted to after the game.

Never spoke ill of Carroll before today, but today I did, I was so pissed with what he did and very disappointed. Relieved it didn't cost us, but it made me regret supporting him all this time. The only way I'll forgive him is if he puts 2 vs City once again like he did with us and cost them points on the final match day. :p

9 back to back wins and 90 goals so far - with our goals per game average of more than 2.5/game, we are on course to break the 100 barrier!

Bring on City, and reds play at your very, very best on Saturday! Let's beat a different Manchester now!

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Absolutely delighted and relieved with the 3 points in a tough fixture. Can't stop grinning.

Hats off to Stevie G, when the pressure's on he mans up time after time. Thought the scoreline flattered the Hammers, their goal should never have stood and Genius hit the bar twice so i think it's fair to say that we thoroughly deserved the three points.

3 points closer to the title :cheers:

Toro

Florida Red
CJ_LFC said:
Defo a foul that. Practically slaps Migs in the back of the head.

Has does the ref over-rule this? Big Andy is looking directly at the ball and leading with his hand, trying to disrupt Mignolet. It's as clear of a foul as anything.

LeoT

There's nowt better than a good old game of rugby on a Sunday afternoon.

PS: Lucas was top drawer when he came on.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Just had a quick look on "Knees up mother brown" and the hatred and bile is staggering. Their offical match report blames Luis for aiming shots at defenders arms in the area to win pens including the one in todays game.
Left after reading a couple of dozen posts because the hatred was so intense. Some guy posted about a neutral fan from belgium who got excited by one of Luis's shots and suffered verbal and physical abuse from the loons. The origional poster was sickened but the attitude of many was that the guy deserved it. Would make you despair for the human race to be honest.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
T.C.B said:
Just had a quick look on "Knees up mother brown" and the hatred and bile is staggering. Their offical match report blames Luis for aiming shots at defenders arms in the area to win pens including the one in todays game.
Left after reading a couple of dozen posts because the hatred was so intense. Some guy posted about a neutral fan from belgium who got excited by one of Luis's shots and suffered verbal and physical abuse from the loons. The origional poster was sickened but the attitude of many was that the guy deserved it. Would make you despair for the human race to be honest.
It is bizarre to me, had no idea the Hammers had such venom for LFC. I certainly don't reciprocate, they are a great old English club and one of the few that have consistently produced talent, which they sadly cannot seem to keep. If anything, I feel sorry for them having to watch what their club has become to survive.

What I find really perverse is that they would prefer to see the title go to City, an archetype of the sort of club that has changed football to the great detriment of WHUFC, or Chelsea, the same plus a bitter local rival.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Arminius said:
It is bizarre to me, had no idea the Hammers had such venom for LFC. I certainly don't reciprocate, they are a great old English club and one of the few that have consistently produced talent, which they sadly cannot seem to keep. If anything, I feel sorry for them having to watch what their club has become to survive.

What I find really perverse is that they would prefer to see the title go to City, an archetype of the sort of club that has changed football to the great detriment of WHUFC, or Chelsea, the same plus a bitter local rival.
I was surprised by that too. My Dad is a Hammer, we lived near Upton Park for the first three years of my life even though I was born in Ireland and I still have family living in London. My dad has a signed picture of him and Bobby Moore in his office and a framed hand written letter from Billy Bonds who wrote back when my father wrote a letter congratulating him on getting the West Ham managers job. In many ways that club is in my veins.
It sad to see the type of football Sam has them playing but reading the opinions of some of their fans maybe they are made for each other.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
I hate all London clubs to be honest. West Ham and Millwall top that list, nothing but hooligans.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I would add Chelsea to the list.

I am surprised by attitude of West Ham fans, I have met a few and they are quite jovial and friendly generally.
I have to say Fulham, QPR, Spurs, Arsenal and Brentford fans are quite nice too.

OhYaBeauty

NastyD said:
By the way - Is Stevie safe from a suspension if he gets another Yellow now?
No. That expires on the day of our Manchester City fixture. The way the rule is worded, a yellow on that day will still cause Stevie to miss two games. If he gets through the City fixture, he's home free.

LeoT

Just watched Match Of The Day.

Firstly, what is all this nonesense about "the keeper got a touch on the ball so it's not a penalty" for the second penalty incident ?
Because a keeper gets a touch on the ball it does not give the keeper the right to grab the attacking player's trailing leg with both hands.

And finally, in the first penalty if the defender had not handled the ball then Suarez would been 1 v 1 with the keeper,
How is that not a red card for preventing a goal-scoring opportunity?

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I lived and worked around Islington for a few months during my College years and most Gooners I met were sound. They constantly went on about Michael Thomas's goal but it was all good natured banter. The Hammers always had a thug element in their fanbase though.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
T.C.B said:
I lived and worked around Islington for a few months during my College years and most Gooners I met were sound. They constantly went on about Michael Thomas's goal in but it was all good natured banter. The Hammers always had a thug element in their fanbase though.
To be fair every British club has a thug base in them. Not as big as it was in the 80's and early 90's until the police cracked down on it although there still are a minority of kids who have watched too much Green Street and think they are hard at the match and cause murder.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
LeoT said:
Firstly, what is all this nonesense about "the keeper got a touch on the ball so it's not a penalty" for the second penalty incident ?
Because a keeper gets a touch on the ball it does not give the keeper the right to grab the attacking player's trailing leg with both hands.
Didn't see MotD (not available online here) but I am surprised at the lack of commentary asking the simple question: what was Adrian thinking? If he had not brought his second hand around and down on Flanagan, he probably would have got away with the arm bar to Flanagan's shin, but the second hand just seemed far too intentional and the motion was also far more visible to the ref.

LeoT

I think West Ham fans are like Liverpool fans, most are ok but there are a few real nutters in the pack who spoil it for everyone.

We really should not get into taring all fans from one club with the same brush.

I remember when Liverpool fans were annoyed to be spoken of like that shortly after the Suarez T-shirt incident when that Oldham player was apparently verbally abused.

maybe better to stick to the match ....but I'm no MOD so not my place to say.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
First half, not much in it, they park their bus and played on the counter. We weren't very clinical in their last 1/3. it took a super Gerrard pass to Suarez to finally pressure their defense causing a handball. Super finish by Captain G who had to break the deadlock. Then came the huge decision by the ref to not award a foul on Mignolet who was clearly punch in the face and arms causing him to lose the ball.

2nd half, hats off to the manager who made changes with Sterling playing in front of a diamond. Caused a lot of havoc but unfortunate that Adrian was in good form. Then came the penalty. Probably soft, but a foul is a foul. For the haters, it still needed a Stevie G penalty to settle it tho. Deserved win in the end. They park the bus and it was quite negative considering they were the home team. Carroll was a handful and did cause problems but mostly isolated throughout the match.

5 to go. Man city is the next 'biggest' game. I believe, YNWA

OhYaBeauty

LeoT said:
I think West Ham fans are like Liverpool fans, most are ok but there are a few real nutters in the pack who spoil it for everyone.

We really should not get into taring all fans from one club with the same brush.

I remember when Liverpool fans were annoyed to be spoken of like that shortly after the Suarez T-shirt incident when that Oldham player was apparently verbally abused.

maybe better to stick to the match ....but I'm no MOD so not my place to say.
Difference is I think with West Ham there are more nutters than decent human beings. Go on their forums and just see the filth they spout against us.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Mascot88 said:
He wasn't under much pressure, and I'd imagine in that scenario Mignolet would have given him a shout.
It seemed apparent from the replay that no one shouted?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have got something on it if unsure

nikz200

I just want to ask, how did Flano dive? That was not a dive, especially when the bloody goalkeeper grabs your ankles and grips at you while your sprinting. Quite frankly, anyone who thinks Flanos penalty call wasnt a penalty needs their eyes checked

Arminius

FSG PR plant
brightonpete said:
Don't agree.internet forums are no bases to judge.met more than a few sound west ham supporters and i'd point you to Billy Bragg as a good example.
Russell Brand is not quite to my taste as an entertainer, but he is a decent enough man and football fan to have donated to HFSG.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
LeoT said:
Just watched Match Of The Day.

And finally, in the first penalty if the defender had not handled the ball then Suarez would been 1 v 1 with the keeper,
How is that not a red card for preventing a goal-scoring opportunity?
John Hartson. He's one of those ex pros who never really thinks about what he's saying and rarely offers any insight whatsoever.

Neil Lennon disagreed and was generally a much better pundit than Hartson, refusing to simply steal a living by offering the same tired old cliches you always hear on MOTD (MOTD 2 in particular).