Post Match: West Ham v Liverpool (EPL 29/1/20 7.45)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 78’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 52’, off 85’]

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • Firmino

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Origi [off 70’]

• Fabinho [on 70’]

• Keita [on 78’]

• Jones (on 85’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rewood1104

On the sleeper train back up North after being lucky enough to pick up a ticket for game. Got a bit of time on my hands so though I would post here about ground etc. It was a funny old atmosphere tonight. It truly is an odd stadium. In some respects it looks great, but I'm afraid it just doesn't work. Obviously not helped by West Hams current position. But even so, the place just struggles to generate any atmosphere. I was there last year and it was the same. I think we were also average tonight. But again the whole set up of the away end makes it difficult to get anything going. The swaithes of covers over the huge gap in the middle of the end can only be appreciated if you see it. Plenty of efforts to try to make it happen, but never took off. Bottom end deffo marginally better though. Tried to get down there second half but steward not having it. There was a hefty selection of tourists too. Without being detrimental to them, they do stick out like a sore thumb. I do wonder how they get tickets. I also think there was a little bit of complacency about us. I'm one of those that ain't allowing myself to believe just yet, but deffo felt like many think we are there and now just a case of going through motions. All in all a bit flat all round. Odd bearing in mind these exceptional times. But, one more box ticked and Soton all that matters now.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Anyhow I thought January was going be a tough month that would potentially see us trip up, I thought if we could keep the lead of 12pts it would stand us in good stead. To extend it to 5pts more from the previous month is outstanding.

Last edited:

Red over the water

Just finished watching a recording, had been on radio silence as I don’t like watching the game if I know the score, if I can help it.

A controlled performance, dominant in possession, could have cut them open a bit more I suppose, but we did what we needed to do. Fabinho got a few more minutes to blow off the cobwebs, Keita looked lively when he came on, Jones showed he belongs in this company, Ox got a nice goal, Mo whacked a penalty right into the bottom corner.

Even Trent opened up the party tricks and passed the ball out from the back... off the post.

There’s even more to come from this team. It’s unbelievable.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Never in doubt.

Finally got round to watching the match and it was a typical Liverpool 2019-20 performance: nothing spectacular but just enough to win the game. No frills; no fuss; three points.

Alisson did very well yesterday. A string of solid saves helped maintain our advantage; you get the feeling that we only need to score two goals to win a game these days as, although we may concede from a penalty or a deflected shot, no team is going to beat Mr Becker twice.

No idea how anybody could argue with the penalty decision; Origi was clearly taken out by Diop, who was nowhere near the ball. Any handball by Bobby was negligible and certainly not a clear refereeing error. Mo’s conversion of the subsequent spot kick wasn’t entirely convincing but it hit the back of the net and that’s all that matters.

Our defence was, as always, solid and it was a welcome return to form for Robbo after a couple of below par performances, although he could have done much better when played through on goal midway through the first half. Trent was lucky to get away with that ricochet after Alisson’s save but he knew nothing about it and would have been most unfortunate had it been an own goal.

The midfield was typically efficient and Ox took his goal well, brushing aside Lanzini’s feeble challenge and finishing with aplomb. Let’s hope that he’s on his way back. Keïta looked lively when he came on but Fabinho, somewhat understandably, still looked rusty after his lay off.

Salah was back to somewhere near his best, full of flicks and tricks; looks like Jürgen has had a word with him, as Mo was far more inclined to look for his teammates today. Bobby wasn’t at his brilliant best but still posed the Hammers’ defence plenty of problems, while Big Div is slowly working his way back to form; he should peak somewhere around the Champions League semi-finals.

WOTM: my missus, for surprising me with a visit to the two Michelin starred Hélène Darroze at The Connaught this evening. When she said that we were going out to dinner, I was fuming; when we got there, I was delighted. Any fans of French haute cuisine should give it a go; the hake with black pudding and Jerusalem artichoke is one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Yes and no. I'd like us to start next season playing much more fluently once this psychological burden has been taken off their minds. I want to skip to August in a way to see if they can do exactly that.
If this keeps up, we can start the youngsters from the beginning of March, which obviously is amazing in a developmental sense. What I meant however is I've now waited since 1990 for a title, for many years thinking it would never again happen in my time, and now this, which is...fantastic, without precedent, quite literally unbelievable. I'm an entitled middle-aged tosser though, so I want to have my cake and eat it: I wish there was a title fight (obviously, I realise this is very much a first world problem...). Also, I feel slightly uneasy at suddenly winning every trophy in sight. It just doesn't feel right, you're supposed to battle for trophies. We don't, we just piss on everyone. I don't even know what I want to say anymore, we're preparing a huge fuck-off trophy party here and it will be spectacular, but it just seems...too easy. Argh. Give me guidance, fellow forum dwellers, I need it. I don't really know what I feel...

XMarlin

I've decided to vote for Bobby for MOTM for the rest of the season...

Why?

Because to try and be objective at this point is impossible.

MOTM for me implies there is one individual that makes a difference, rises above the rest to make a difference.

This team has 11 of those individuals at any given time....and the bench has the substitutes when needed.

When was the last time we substituted a player because they weren't up to it...I think it was against Spurs...and he's not playing for us now.

Bottom line...

Every player and every member of the owners and staff have made us the best team in the world.

It's unfair to specify MOTM...Henderson?

Salah? Robertson? Winifred? VVD?

You get my point?

Most selfless? Any of the squad...

Most deserving...that would require me to make an objective obsevation... I'm incapable of that now so I've decided to just give up and vote for Bobby from now on.

3 points.

Clean sheet.

Who's next?

YNWA

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
WOTM: my missus, for surprising me with a visit to the two Michelin starred Hélène Darroze at The Connaught this evening. When she said that we were going out to dinner, I was fuming; when we got there, I was delighted. Any fans of French haute cuisine should give it a go; the hake with black pudding and Jerusalem artichoke is one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten.
just Googled it........looks pretty fucking amazing....

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
just Googled it........looks pretty fucking amazing....
It’s obviously pretty expensive (some would say obscenely so) but it really must be experienced. I’d put it ahead of the three star Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, personally.

Save up for a special occasion and give it a go. You won’t be disappointed!

Alright Now

Never in doubt.

Finally got round to watching the match and it was a typical Liverpool 2019-20 performance: nothing spectacular but just enough to win the game. No frills; no fuss; three points.

Alisson did very well yesterday. A string of solid saves helped maintain our advantage; you get the feeling that we only need to score two goals to win a game these days as, although we may concede from a penalty or a deflected shot, no team is going to beat Mr Becker twice.

No idea how anybody could argue with the penalty decision; Origi was clearly taken out by Diop, who was nowhere near the ball. Any handball by Bobby was negligible and certainly not a clear refereeing error. Mo’s conversion of the subsequent spot kick wasn’t entirely convincing but it hit the back of the net and that’s all that matters.

Our defence was, as always, solid and it was a welcome return to form for Robbo after a couple of below par performances, although he could have done much better when played through on goal midway through the first half. Trent was lucky to get away with that ricochet after Alisson’s save but he knew nothing about it and would have been most unfortunate had it been an own goal.

The midfield was typically efficient and Ox took his goal well, brushing aside Lanzini’s feeble challenge and finishing with aplomb. Let’s hope that he’s on his way back. Keïta looked lively when he came on but Fabinho, somewhat understandably, still looked rusty after his lay off.

Salah was back to somewhere near his best, full of flicks and tricks; looks like Jürgen has had a word with him, as Mo was far more inclined to look for his teammates today. Bobby wasn’t at his brilliant best but still posed the Hammers’ defence plenty of problems, while Big Div is slowly working his way back to form; he should peak somewhere around the Champions League semi-finals.

Should we plan on dining there when I visit?

Toro

Florida Red
But it's a neat encapsulation of their superiority -- both in this game specifically, but over the season more generally -- that Jurgen Klopp's biggest concern essentially boiled down to Liverpool being so good and so dominant that they could become bored and lose concentration during the game.

lol

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
It’s obviously pretty expensive (some would say obscenely so) but it really must be experienced. I’d put it ahead of the three star Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, personally.

Save up for a special occasion and give it a go. You won’t be disappointed!
as good as a vegemite and cheese sanga?

all jokes aside, i do love a nice fancy dinner out, just cant see one happening in London for the forseeable future, when i do come back, it will be with kids in tow .....yada yada yada.....

but yes, been in Melb for a few good ones.