• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: West Ham v Liverpool (EPL 4/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Keita

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Lallana [off 68’]

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 21’]

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Firmino [off 73’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 68’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think he was tired after doing what Kieta and Lallana were on the field to do. When you add to that he was offering next to nothing going forward it was well worth a punt.
Even Salah looked like he was working his socks off defensively and Mané must have beaten his record for tyhe number of times he went round the pitch trying to help out the attack and defense.
Bit weird but Firmino and Keita seem to really not play well together. When Firmino came on Keita was unleashed and was our biggest threat.

Hopefully Klopp tells Bobby to get further forward now he doesn't need to be so deep to start attacks. With Bobby dropping deep it basically isolates Mane/Salah 2 v 1 for the most part and they struggle to get into the game.

Lallana for all his twists and turns offers very little in both attack and defense.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Most enduring memory of last night's game ; Lallana doing a Cruyf turn every single fucking time he received the ball. Did my fucking head in.

Apart from that our passing was woeful and just too many players had an off night. I thought Keita improved after the break and hopefully he can kick on. I'm not too disappointed about the result tbh , we were lucky to come away with a point and we're still three points clear. A couple of shit performances might just be the reminder we need that this league is not going to be won playing at anything less than our best. Let's hope the we get the right reaction now against Bournemouth on Saturday. A win restores our three point lead (I'm assuming city beat Everton midweek) and puts the pressure back on them before they face Chelsea.

My glass is still half full.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Most enduring memory of last night's game ; Lallana doing a Cruyf turn every single fucking time he received the ball. Did my fucking head in.
Yes, that was particularly frustrating. I said in the match thread that by about 30mins on at least two occasions he had received the ball, Cruyf turned his way into trouble and lost the ball, when just taking a simple touch and setting off in the direction he was already facing would have retained possession.

He is a maddening player, because he is probably the most technically skilful England’s player for a generation. He just can’t turn it it off, to the point where it actually makes him look shit.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I take it he didn’t talk about the foul on Keita by Noble for the equaliser then?
Forget about being just irritated about the actual incidents. Klopp mentioned the incidents whilst shaking hands with him which personally i find in poor taste. Emotion was likely still controlling Klopp's actions, so it's only fair for Pellegrini to be angry about it.

This is not to be negative about Klopp as we know he's an emotional beast during games, but merely think neither coaches actions really need discussion.

jaffod

If anyone had said last summer we'd be three points above City at this stage with Fabinho and Keita starting in the middle we'd have been going off in our kecks yet here we are lamenting the fact Henderson and Wijnaldum didn't play and praying they are fit for the weekend.
Funny old game innit?

paurig

Yes, that was particularly frustrating. I said in the match thread that by about 30mins on at least two occasions he had received the ball, Cruyf turned his way into trouble and lost the ball, when just taking a simple touch and setting off in the direction he was already facing would have retained possession.

He is a maddening player, because he is probably the most technically skilful England’s player for a generation. He just can’t turn it it off, to the point where it actually makes him look shit.

Expectations dropped when I saw him on the team sheet but... in the game....
...... LallanasCruyff turns made the linesman so dizzy he missed the blatant offside assist for Mane’s goal.
Maybe Klopp can use this strategy in future games during the run in? ;-)

paurig

If anyone had said last summer we'd be three points above City at this stage with Fabinho and Keita starting in the middle we'd have been going off in our kecks yet here we are lamenting the fact Henderson and Wijnaldum didn't play and praying they are fit for the weekend.
Funny old game innit?

Agree...... It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Liverpool get a season of fortunate incidents go their way, in spite of the odd refereeing injustices, I’d say we’re still ahead of where our footballing performance level would put us in terms of points return. I actually think that in previous seasons we’d have lost the last 2 games. This time the opposition forwards weren’t clinical in both matches.

Let’s hope this fortune continues during the run in!

Btw ..... City actually played okay during their 4 defeats this season and could have easily drawn/won even. With the way they play they’re not gonna draw many from now on.

Sure we have had a lull in the last month and soon we will surely hit the form we haven’t yet reached this season. Klopp has changed the way we play and the players are still adjusting. I’m sure it will click at the right time.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Ok, it was a disappointing result, but it makes no sense to ignore the number of key players who were absent. Gini, Hendo, and Lovren were added to the list of injured players, a list that already included TAA and Joe Gomez. Throw in the fact that Virgil is still recovering from illness and now Millie has come down/ is coming down with something. No wonder the team looked jaded and the performance sub-par. How many teams in the PL could perform at their best if they found themselves in a similar situation?

Under the circumstances we should perhaps look upon it as a point gained rather than two dropped.

sms1986

Ok, it was a disappointing result, but it makes no sense to ignore the number of key players who were absent. Gini, Hendo, and Lovren were added to the list of injured players, a list that already included TAA and Joe Gomez. Throw in the fact that Virgil is still recovering from illness and now Millie has come down/ is coming down with something. No wonder the team looked jaded and the performance sub-par. How many teams in the PL could perform at their best if they found themselves in a similar situation?

Under the circumstances we should perhaps look upon it as a point gained rather than two dropped.
We'll have many of them back soon enough, VVD and Milner will hopefully be better by Saturday. Any win against Bournemouth and it'll give the team some confidence back.

jaffod

Agree...... It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Liverpool get a season of fortunate incidents go their way, in spite of the odd refereeing injustices, I’d say we’re still ahead of where our footballing performance level would put us in terms of points return.
Don't know where you're getting that from mate.

That goal last night was the first time this season a bad call has possibly won us a point. We've had bad calls at Arsenal, City and against Leicester that have probably cost us points.
We've scored 3 offside goals this season and only last night's affected the final score, that's off-set by the fact a West Ham and Brighton player should have been sent off at Anfield and Kompany and Maguire should both have been sent off recently.

Mascot88

Admin
That goal last night was the first time this season a bad call has possibly won us a point. We've had bad calls at Arsenal, City and against Leicester that have probably cost us points.
The winning goal against Crystal Palace was scored off a handball by Robbo in the build up.

jaffod

[QUOTE="sms1986, post: 1053057, member: 34976"]We'll have many of them back soon enough, VVD and Milner will hopefully be better by Saturday. Any win against Bournemouth and it'll give the team some confidence back.[/QUOTE]

That's what we keep saying but the situation gets worse instead of better. This has been a period of the season when we should have made hay, less games than City, plenty of rest between matches and an easier set of fixtures.
Instead we've suffered another speight of injuries between matches and come back from Dubai with illness in the camp. I think we'll look back on this phase of the season with a lot of regret at the end of the season.

Mascot88

Admin
That's what we keep saying but the situation gets worse instead of better. This has been a period of the season when we should have made hay, less games than City, plenty of rest between matches and an easier set of fixtures.
Instead we've suffered another speight of injuries between matches and come back from Dubai with illness in the camp. I think we'll look back on this phase of the season with a lot of regret at the end of the season.
I’m currently listening to the Anfield Wrap post match, and they are talking about Dubai and making some of the same points I’ve made on this.

- no team can peak from August to May.
- Dubai wasn’t to prepare for Leicester or West Ham. It is to ensure the squad peaks for the run in
- there have been a few seasons now where the team has stormed out of the blocks and run at a high level until Christmas. Then dip in January, before kicking on to finish strongly.
- City do this as well.

Last edited:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He probably won't be any more arsed than losing to City, Wolves or any of the other teams that have beaten them. If he loses his job he'll still get a big payday.
True, but if he fails at Everton, then he stands very close to being in that 'failed' group of managers that get recycled through teams that have limited ambition to truly push on to the next level and end up being the next Pardew/Pulis/Big Sam/Woy

Mascot88

Admin
Their first goal came from a move which should have been a penalty for us.
True, but you don’t do yourself any favours by being absolutely myopic about the decisions we do get.

By the way I though Kevin Friend was an absolute shithouse last night. I don’t believe in this corruption/bias thing, and I can take refs just being shit, but that prick knew exactly what he was doing, and that makes me furious. He knew that the first goal shouldn’t have stood, especially after half time, and he was absolutely adamant the stories the next day were not going to be about that. His performance in the second half was the performance of a fucking coward.

sms1986

[QUOTE="sms1986, post: 1053057, member: 34976"]We'll have many of them back soon enough, VVD and Milner will hopefully be better by Saturday. Any win against Bournemouth and it'll give the team some confidence back.
Instead we've suffered another speight of injuries between matches and come back from Dubai with illness in the camp. I think we'll look back on this phase of the season with a lot of regret at the end of the season.[/QUOTE]

In the next month they play seven times, mainly in the league, whilst we only play five. Still time to take advantage of that.

jaffod

True, but you don’t do yourself any favours by being absolutely myopic about the decisions we do get.

By the way I though Kevin Friend was an absolute shithouse last night. I don’t believe in this corruption/bias thing, and I can take refs just being shit, but that prick knew exactly what he was doing, and that makes me furious. He knew that the first goal shouldn’t have stood, especially after half time, and he was absolutely adamant the stories the next day were not going to be about that. His performance in the second half was the performance of a fucking coward.
I've just acknowledged we've benefitted from 3 offside goals this season. There have been a few 50-50 calls on penalties at Watford, Huddersfield and Wembley but I don't think any of them were as clear cut as Keita last week.

You're views on Friend are no different to thinking referees are determined not to be swayed by the Anfield crowd, therefore you should be furious with them as well. I've said before any referee who turns up at Anfield with pre-conceived ideas on how he's going to handle the match is basically corrupt.

Noo Noo

He's irritated about the two wrong decisions from the linesman, understandably so. We'd all be livid if we were West Ham fans.
Yeah fair enough but his comments aren't a pop at the officials are they? Plus he had a little jab before the game.

Not that it matters to us. I'm more worried about our performance last night and putting that right in the next game.

Red Eyes

My two pennies worth......a fiver actually
We haven’t had our A game for a while, but if anyone feels that a team can maintain their A game all season they are deluded. There will be blips, and we are having one. That said, I’m not sure anyone should be shot down for having a ‘glass half empty view’, it’s a forum that is made richer by varying opinion. Imagine how boring an afternoon in the pub with your mates would be, if you agreed on everything.
Take a look at the table rather than the last couple of performances, it will put this blip in perspective. Taking the season as a whole, we have been immense and are still top with things in our own hands.
One reason for the blip is injuries. West Ham also had key players out, and City have been without KDB and Mendy all season until now. However imho our bench last night highlights how far we are behind them in squad depth.
With the benefit of hindsight, of course Clyne shouldn’t have gone. If Klopp knew that Gomez would be out for at least a second month, or TAA and Lovren would out this long I’m pretty sure Clyne would have stayed. However Klopp made his decision based on information known at the time, which is all he can ever do. Clyne has gone, so forget about it until he comes back from his loan spell.
Most families have had coughs, colds, or the squits over the last month or so. Players are not immune, they have wives, girlfriends, kids who pass bugs on. Players train, eat, change, do media work together, and can pass bugs around before they know that they have it. Credit to the players that played through it, next time you get the shits try going out for a 10k run.
Injuries are more concerning. TAA and Gomez in particular are just unlucky, but we seem to have a spate of random injuries ie Wini, Hendo, Lovren. Not sure what is going on there but after last night I’m nervously thinking ‘who is next’.
Caradoc loves Keita and is ‘all in’ with his love fest. This is fine and I look forward to the day he can say ‘I told you so’. That day hasn’t arrived yet though. Keita isn’t as poor as he has been and is improving a little, but he is still way off expectations. He has so far been a major disappointment this season.
Momentum is important and we lost ours after the City defeat and FA Cup loss. Once you lose it, momentum is hard to regain. We need a good performance to get it back. Hopefully it’s Bournemouth, but maybe it will take a big matchday like Liverpool v United to shake the players back into life.
Do teams really roll over deliberately? I’m pretty sure once they cross the line, players give it 100%. Fans will still slaughter them if they don’t, and the manager will take them off. These guys are playing for their place in the team, and it’s their career, and the cameras are on them. It’s any easy conversation topic for us, but it’s really just baloney.
Last night we got what we deserved, one point. Whether we are first, second or third at the season, that will also be what we deserve. City had a poor spell but have dug themselves out of it, we need to do the same. If we do, chances are we will be champions. If we don’t, perhaps we don’t.
I dont buy into all these referee conspiracy theories, some decisions will go for us, some against. The sad truth is that the level of refereeing is poor in general, and it can cost teams points.

I’m taking a few days sabbatical from football. Back for the Bournemouth match where if we are not top already, we can go top again knowing that City have a tough match against Chelsea to come

jaffod

Yeah fair enough but his comments aren't a pop at the officials are they? Plus he had a little jab before the game.

Not that it matters to us. I'm more worried about our performance last night and putting that right in the next game.
He's clearly a bitter old cunt. I suppose once you've been tainted by the FFP and human right's abusers it's hard to shake off.

dockers_strike

Forget about being just irritated about the actual incidents. Klopp mentioned the incidents whilst shaking hands with him which personally i find in poor taste. Emotion was likely still controlling Klopp's actions, so it's only fair for Pellegrini to be angry about it.

This is not to be negative about Klopp as we know he's an emotional beast during games, but merely think neither coaches actions really need discussion.
Its tradition in England to shake the opposing manager's hand at the end of the game even if you hate their guts. Jurgen was doing what's expected of him. I dont think Jurgen said to pellegrini 'hey, that offside goal we scored was good, eh?' It appears it was pellegrini who was the disengenuous one by saying to Klopp he'd benefited twice from offside goals against his teams. Id say Pellegrini needs to take that up with the ref not Jurgen. Pellegrini was also giving shit out before the game about his 'old' club city, who incidentally, binned him off so I think he was being a bitter, twisted old twat myself.

In all the narrative, anyone find it strange no one is mentioning Sadio's 'onside' goal at arsenal being incorrectly ruled offside? What about Keita's blatant pen against Leicester waved away by the ever inept atkinson? Reading some reports, you'd think Liverpool have got all the decisions this season.

Last edited:

Twansleypyg

Lallana played pretty well and was directly responsible for our goal, but I agree that we missed Gini's control in the centre.
Very simply Liverpools best assets are the front 3 - and 3 (possibly 4 in Trent) of defensive unit. They are geared to play fast, fluid football at a high tempo. The moment the game slows down or the opposition park the bus - the front 3 are lost. There is no target man to hold play or give the option of aerial threat. They then rely on the midfield or wing/backs to help forge a path and make space for them. and this season that is more often than not lacking. The league position has now long flattered performance even though this is still our best chance of a title for many a moon.

Liverpools midfield this season is unbalanced, slow, ponderous and lacking any creativity at all. It is way too defensive minded and now it is experiencing injuries, the link between defence and attack has faltered to the point where teams we play against pose a greater attacking threat (even though they may see the ball less). Henderson is at best a squad player, Lallana is not fit for this type of football at all (he lacks both speed and any physical presence, Keita has huge potential but is posing more questions than answers. Liverpool need to get back to intimidating the opposition and provide ammunition for those front 3 quickly or I can see Man City overtaking them and leaving them in their wake. To do that they need a midfielder who can get hold of that ball and pass. Fabinho and Wijnaldum look to me the only 2 who are capable.

Twansleypyg

With all this doom and gloom, I think some "fans" will go extinct faster than the Dodo. lol
You want to try being a Liverpool fan living in Manchester. I have waited nearly 30 painful years to see Liverpool climb back on the podium and each time they get near they seem to press a self destruct button. It is not doom and gloom - it is absolute frustration over glaryingly obvious failings. ie stop floggin a dead horse with Lallana, Origi, Sturridge, Henderson, Matip - Stop this slide into cautious football - it nullifies our best assets - and invest in something remotely creative. To have a squad of the calibre of City's is perhaps wishfull thinking, but to have a bench which gets anywhere near the calibre of their bench is a necessity if we are to compete for titles.