Post Match: West Ham v Liverpool (EPL 4/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Milner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Keita

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Lallana [off 68’]

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 21’]

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Firmino [off 73’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 68’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twansleypyg

With all this doom and gloom, I think some "fans" will go extinct faster than the Dodo. lol
You want to try being a Liverpool fan living in Manchester. I have waited nearly 30 painful years to see Liverpool climb back on the podium and each time they get near they seem to press a self destruct button. It is not doom and gloom - it is absolute frustration over glaryingly obvious failings. ie stop floggin a dead horse with Lallana, Origi, Sturridge, Henderson, Matip - Stop this slide into cautious football - it nullifies our best assets - and invest in something remotely creative. To have a squad of the calibre of City's is perhaps wishfull thinking, but to have a bench which gets anywhere near the calibre of their bench is a necessity if we are to compete for titles.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Very simply Liverpools best assets are the front 3 - and 3 (possibly 4 in Trent) of defensive unit. They are geared to play fast, fluid football at a high tempo. The moment the game slows down or the opposition park the bus - the front 3 are lost. There is no target man to hold play or give the option of aerial threat. They then rely on the midfield or wing/backs to help forge a path and make space for them. and this season that is more often than not lacking. The league position has now long flattered performance even though this is still our best chance of a title for many a moon.

Liverpools midfield this season is unbalanced, slow, ponderous and lacking any creativity at all. It is way too defensive minded and now it is experiencing injuries, the link between defence and attack has faltered to the point where teams we play against pose a greater attacking threat (even though they may see the ball less). Henderson is at best a squad player, Lallana is not fit for this type of football at all (he lacks both speed and any physical presence, Keita has huge potential but is posing more questions than answers. Liverpool need to get back to intimidating the opposition and provide ammunition for those front 3 quickly or I can see Man City overtaking them and leaving them in their wake. To do that they need a midfielder who can get hold of that ball and pass. Fabinho and Wijnaldum look to me the only 2 who are capable.
We’re you asleep between August and New Year? The number of fans who are using two draws to selectively erase everything that went before it - once more with feeling, the fourth best start in first division history - is simply astonishing.

The idea that anyone is leaving anyone in their wake is fanciful. Man City won’t be doing that to us, and we won’t be doing it to them.

Twansleypyg

We’re you asleep between August and New Year? The number of fans who are using two draws to selectively erase everything that went before it - once more with feeling, the fourth best start in first division history - is simply astonishing.

The idea that anyone is leaving anyone in their wake is fanciful. Man City won’t be doing that to us, and we won’t be doing it to them.
i certainly wasnt asleep. I was at anfield for most of the home games, and i have only seen liverpool play to the highs they hit last season on a couple of occasions. And yes, the fourth best start in premier league history is great - but its a shame a league isnt won after a good start. I hope with all my heart that Man City leaving them behind does prove fanciful, and I will gladly eat my words, but I would also say it is fanciful to think that we will be champions in 14 games time playing anything like we have in the previous 6 games.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
I dont see the need for panic just yet.
But City will get a massive boost when they beat Neverton tomorrow and go top. Yes they wouldve played 1 game more but they couldve been 10 behind a month ago and have now clawed it back - albeit with a game more.
Maybe it suits us to play catch up?
Id still rather be in our position that Citys - and so would Pep and all his players.

sms1986

I dont see the need for panic just yet.
But City will get a massive boost when they beat Neverton tomorrow and go top. Yes they wouldve played 1 game more but they couldve been 10 behind a month ago and have now clawed it back - albeit with a game more.
Maybe it suits us to play catch up?
Id still rather be in our position that Citys - and so would Pep and all his players.
City aren't guaranteed a win tomorrow - yes, Everton aren't much, but they still do have a chance. Even then, City only go top due to goal difference.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
City aren't guaranteed a win tomorrow - yes, Everton aren't much, but they still do have a chance. Even then, City only go top due to goal difference.
I watched the Wolves match and they were awful. Id love them to win but at the moment completing 3 passes is deemed success for that utter shower of shite with their awful manager who is a fraud. Not that im complaining!

sms1986

@[B]StevenD1977[/B]
FollowFollow @StevenD1977
More
Perception is a funny thing in football isn’t it. In the last ten games City have dropped 12 points, we’ve dropped 7. City have lost to 3 of the teams outside the top 6, we’ve drawn against 2 of them Yet Liverpool are percieved as the ones bottling it and blowing it.

[B]Ste Davies[/B]‏ @[B]StevenD1977[/B] 5h5 hours ago
More
Its unquestionable that our performances have dropped off since 2019 started, but theres always going to be bad spells in a season. If (and its a big if) we can play ourselves back into form quickly we’re still in a great position. We’ll drop points, City will too undoubtedly.
1 reply2 retweets51 likes

More
If the last 2 games were dotted across the season and the league looked as it does now nobody would be flinching, but perception and performances magnify the nerves. Lets get to Anfield on Saturday, no nerves in the stands, lets be confident and hope that transfers to the pitch

More
A good, solid win on Saturday, especially if City drop points in the next 2 games and that perception can change again. This was never gonna be easy, we’re Liverpool and we NEVER do it the easy way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t do it. Keep the faith Reds!

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Ah well. We’re only three points ahead of Citt. Might as well give up.
Ah, you just cheered me up, genuinely thought it was only two.

There is a rumour going around that our main challenger won their first title in 44 years after having to score two goals in injury time, or else their bitter rivals would beat them to the title. That's real pressure

Sixty-Six

We were so poor yesterday that it seemed like West Ham were the ones top of the league, with Felipe Anderson top scorer, rather than us top and Salah the top scorer. A draw against a team that was recently trounced by both AFC Wimbledon and Wolves is very ominous, although I'd definitely rather be in our position than City's.

Of course, City also will have their off days, as they almost did against Arsenal, but their ability to recover from setbacks seems to be almost unparalleled. After it looked it like they we were gonna be out of sight after their poor December, they picked it up with emphatic victories against Wolves and Huddersfield. On the other hand, we looked completely out of ideas against both Leicester and West Ham after conceding soft goals.

The problem I think is that we are often highly reliant on the front three to create, whereas their system is highly conducive to chance creation, so when Salah, Firmino and Mané are not on-form we really have little attacking impetus. This is especially true against teams who can park the bus, or at least keep it tight. Furthermore, given our current defensive injury problems, we're prone to being hit on the counter-attack by the likes of Leicester and West Ham.

Hopefully Gomez, Trent and Gini return soon, so we can go back to being defensively sound so that a 1-0 is an option when we're limited going forward instead of relying on offside goals to claim a point against mid-table sides!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
The bit in bold bothers me.
We have changed from last season, and the reason for it we assume was because opponents were adapting to it.
I dont think it's too much of a stretch to alternate between different styles during a match, especially given that most of the changes we made were of the roles of our ever present front 3.

We did change a bit last night, when Lallana went off and Plug came on, Keita sat deeper but then found more success pushing forward from that deeper position than he had from his starting position.

I realise I'm not as qualified as Klopp or @RedForever2014 , but it seems logical to implement tactical changes when what you've being doing for an hour has produced diddly squat.
And he attempted to change the focus by introducing Origi who brought a ton of energy and direct movements. But Salah and Bobby were marked out of the game

FGred

Just read JK's post-match interview. He said we trained last night and afterwards had to make 3 changes for the game tonight which suggests Hendo and Gini were either injured in the session or aggravated injuries they already had.
It's fucking insane how many players we lose between matches.
They weren’t injured Klopp said after the match the pulled out sick and they wanted to pull out milly but he wanted to play but he travelled in his own as they did not want him passing his virus to the rest of the team but my guess he’d already passed it on to hendo and gini the other one that played with sickness was VVD minor miracle we got a point. That black cat who was at goodison must have visited Anfield first.

JMac8

i certainly wasnt asleep. I was at anfield for most of the home games, and i have only seen liverpool play to the highs they hit last season on a couple of occasions. And yes, the fourth best start in premier league history is great - but its a shame a league isnt won after a good start. I hope with all my heart that Man City leaving them behind does prove fanciful, and I will gladly eat my words, but I would also say it is fanciful to think that we will be champions in 14 games time playing anything like we have in the previous 6 games.
6 games ago we beat Arsenal 5-1. Since then we’ve a better record than City. Try again

FGred

@[B]StevenD1977[/B]
FollowFollow @StevenD1977
More
Perception is a funny thing in football isn’t it. In the last ten games City have dropped 12 points, we’ve dropped 7. City have lost to 3 of the teams outside the top 6, we’ve drawn against 2 of them Yet Liverpool are percieved as the ones bottling it and blowing it.

More
Its unquestionable that our performances have dropped off since 2019 started, but theres always going to be bad spells in a season. If (and its a big if) we can play ourselves back into form quickly we’re still in a great position. We’ll drop points, City will too undoubtedly.
1 reply2 retweets51 likes

More
If the last 2 games were dotted across the season and the league looked as it does now nobody would be flinching, but perception and performances magnify the nerves. Lets get to Anfield on Saturday, no nerves in the stands, lets be confident and hope that transfers to the pitch

More
A good, solid win on Saturday, especially if City drop points in the next 2 games and that perception can change again. This was never gonna be easy, we’re Liverpool and we NEVER do it the easy way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t do it. Keep the faith Reds!
Well done mate excellent pick me up

JMac8

You want to try being a Liverpool fan living in Manchester. I have waited nearly 30 painful years to see Liverpool climb back on the podium and each time they get near they seem to press a self destruct button. It is not doom and gloom - it is absolute frustration over glaryingly obvious failings. ie stop floggin a dead horse with Lallana, Origi, Sturridge, Henderson, Matip - Stop this slide into cautious football - it nullifies our best assets - and invest in something remotely creative. To have a squad of the calibre of City's is perhaps wishfull thinking, but to have a bench which gets anywhere near the calibre of their bench is a necessity if we are to compete for titles.
You’ve completely contradicted yourself in the last sentence. You were right first time. We can’t get a squad to match a trillion pound country/oil-funded squad. We have some average players like every other squad bar City. We’re punching above our weight, so let’s enjoy it while we can!

Twansleypyg

6 games ago we beat Arsenal 5-1. Since then we’ve a better record than City. Try again
......and the hope is......that city lose 3 matches in 4 again during the run in to keep that statistic alive.....or Liverpool play better than they are ?.

Twansleypyg

......and the hope is......that city lose 3 matches in 4 again during the run in to keep that statistic alive.....or Liverpool play better than they are ?.
.....and those stats....Man City have won 5 lost 1 in their last 6 league games. Liverpool have Won 3 drawn 2 lost 1.

William Clarke

redshirt
All the doom and gloom from some would make you believe our Premiership season has ended, but think about it. Which player is yapping about us dropping points and whose website is glorying in our 1-1 draw last night - it's the glory boys from the Etihad. They are absolutely shitting themselves because they see in us real title contenders, and if it hadn't been for our defensive injuries we would be many points away from the sky blue dolly boys.

Twansleypyg

All the doom and gloom from some would make you believe our Premiership season has ended, but think about it. Which player is yapping about us dropping points and whose website is glorying in our 1-1 draw last night - it's the glory boys from the Etihad. They are absolutely shitting themselves because they see in us real title contenders, and if it hadn't been for our defensive injuries we would be many points away from the sky blue dolly boys.
Sorry for doom and glooming you :celebrating: Seems most posts on here go this road or detour down the blind faith and optimism route ....the nature of the beast. I want Liverpool to win this title more than anything, and i would gladly donate blood to cover that trophy in red. I err on the side of pessimism because it hurts much less when you dont get what you want. A few years back I saw Suarez tear the Premier League apart with a display of football i had never seen or probably will never see again.......but the history books just say Man City won the title.

TAA-Team

A think was just about all we deserved, hopefully our "blip" is nothing more than 2 matches and we get the better of Bournemouth at the weekend.

auzziez

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them
To have a squad of the calibre of City's is perhaps wishfull thinking, but to have a bench which gets anywhere near the calibre of their bench is a necessity if we are to compete for titles.
That's hilarious. Any team signs players for the squad before filling the bench. If we have to have players on our bench 'near the calibre' of City's then we would need to spend half a billion to fill our squad before we even think about our bench.
Btw, Sane was a sub in their last match and didn't play a minute. I would bet Klopp would have loved to have him in our starting lineup.
It's not that we cannot spend for such players, Klopp and the owners don't think there is a necessity to spend.
And If they think so, then I am happy enough.

Flobs

FADA
We, LFC, haven'thad a good spell this season. I'm hoping that comes in the last 10 games of the season (league that is so hopefully will include a few other games). :-)

sms1986

We, LFC, haven'thad a good spell this season. I'm hoping that comes in the last 10 games of the season (league that is so hopefully will include a few other games). :-)
We went twenty games unbeaten in the league, that's a good spell. Yes, we could have played better in some of the games, but sometimes you need to win ugly.

Mascot88

Admin
This is the first time that I am posting. I have been a Liverpool supporter since 1964. So I know the ups and downs. Yesterdays result against West Ham though not a disaster are 2 points lost. Apart this, the performance leaves much to be desired. However Klopp needs to take the blame and he has to realise that his honey moon is over. No trophies in3 years despite 3 finals. Klopp should have never let Clyne go on loan. The writing was on the wall in case of injuries. Moreover all these injuries are these due to Klopp's training methods? I have a feeling that Klopp will finish like Houlier, Benitez and Rodgers by finishing 2nd. Some of the players he bought are not to Liverpool's standards. I am referring to Matip, Keitha and to some extend Fabinho. I do not know why he is sticking with Lallana who is past his best. Other players need to go such as Moreno, Sgturridge and Origi. Klopp has to win the league to retain his best players. Let us hope for the best in the final hurdle and strengthen in the summer. If no trophies are achieved this or the most next season, Klopp has to go.
I wasn’t going to approve this, but thought it might be funny.

Klopp out, apparently. FFS.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
Jesus, Flobs. Our form to this point has only been bettered by three other teams in the entire history of football.

I’m genuinely confused about what d count as a good spell in your eyes.

paurig

Don't know where you're getting that from mate.

That goal last night was the first time this season a bad call has possibly won us a point. We've had bad calls at Arsenal, City and against Leicester that have probably cost us points.
We've scored 3 offside goals this season and only last night's affected the final score, that's off-set by the fact a West Ham and Brighton player should have been sent off at Anfield and Kompany and Maguire should both have been sent off recently.
I can see those arguments and Klopp certainly does. I'm thinking more of fortunate moments i.e. deflected shots against manu, refs giving us 50/50 pens, Everton goal by Origi, huddersfield hitting the woodwork, and so on etc. I could go on....

Just something that stuck in the mind more so than ever having watched the team get bad calls/ rubs of green over the last 45 years. This season stands out for me in this regards, particularly as we haven't hit top gear yet. Sure, referees don't like us but we're getting some margin calls this season. Is it luck? Maybe, I Hope it continues.

Elessar

I remember when we had Rafa as manager and finished second. We only lost two games in the PL that season. number one in Europe. The most feared team in Europe. A lot of people moaned and demanded that Rafa should be sacked after we had drawn to many games.

That time a lot of media said that Rafa lost us the league after his "rant". The truth was of course that we played fantastic after that but United played even better. A lot of fans believed the media so they started to demand that Rafa should be sacked.

I guess that the same will happen now if we don't win the PL. The media will find a way to blame Klopp and a lot of fans will believe them. If we finish second then the season is still a big step in the right direction.

This City team is probable the best team that have played in the PL. It is a team that cheated their way to points and trophies with a lot of help by UEFA. It is extremely difficult to finish above them.

If we do that then it is one of the best achievements ever.

City should win the PL easily but thanks to Klopp and FSG we will have a chance to do win it even that it is still a work in progress.

:-):cheers::well done:

Red Armada

TIA Regular
This is the first time that I am posting. I have been a Liverpool supporter since 1964. So I know the ups and downs. Yesterdays result against West Ham though not a disaster are 2 points lost. Apart this, the performance leaves much to be desired. However Klopp needs to take the blame and he has to realise that his honey moon is over. No trophies in3 years despite 3 finals. Klopp should have never let Clyne go on loan. The writing was on the wall in case of injuries. Moreover all these injuries are these due to Klopp's training methods? I have a feeling that Klopp will finish like Houlier, Benitez and Rodgers by finishing 2nd. Some of the players he bought are not to Liverpool's standards. I am referring to Matip, Keitha and to some extend Fabinho. I do not know why he is sticking with Lallana who is past his best. Other players need to go such as Moreno, Sgturridge and Origi. Klopp has to win the league to retain his best players. Let us hope for the best in the final hurdle and strengthen in the summer. If no trophies are achieved this or the most next season, Klopp has to go.
Nonsense