• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Jumped straight to page 9.
Don't think I could have handled reading the first 8.

Fell asleep in the chair just before kick off, woke up briefly at half time, then woke up again 10 minutes after the final whistle.
Not particularly arsed that I missed the match, and even less arsed about the result.

Has anyone called for Klopp to be sacked yet?

Monument Mark

I'm almost relieved that our annual foray into domestic cup mediocrity is over.

Our squad depth was again exposed.

Well done to Wolves. They should have beaten us by more goals but our dreadful lack of energy and speed seemed to be catching.

Curtis Jones had a slightly disappointing game by his usual high standards but Comin Atcha and The Hoover were a breath of fresh air.

As for the likes of Sturridge and Moreno, they were really poor, particularly Moreno. Their time here is nearly over.

There is still so much rebuilding just below first team level but Jurgen's youth policy is something to be admired.

Losing, like winning, can become a habit so Brighton is an absolute must-win for me.

Redback

This club was built on winning league titles and we haven’t won one in 28 seasons.
Exactly, League Titles!

The truth is I see the F.A Cup as, at best "the cherry on top" Whats the point of having the cherry without ever getting a slice of cake.

At worst, "Papering over the cracks" like Arsenal. They won 3 on the trot. Still going the wrong way

Retro Helix

One question for all of you based on the lineup last night: Do we have enough quality and depth to take us through the remainder of the season and win either the PL or CL or maybe even both?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
One question for all of you based on the lineup last night: Do we have enough quality and depth to take us through the remainder of the season and win either the PL or CL or maybe even both?
In a nutshell, quality yes but no to depth. Evident in the lineup put forth today that as a second XI it comprised of teenagers, our oldest player, 3rd string keeper who hasn’t seen a pitch in 3 months, a LB who should have been sold last summer and a crocked striker who hasn’t been able to get out of 3rd gear in 2.5 years.

Only highlight for me that I saw was Origi again showing he wants to stay and Keita getting some pitch time tonight

Otherwise I couldn’t tell what formation they were playing. Very evident Klopp couldn’t give a flying fuck about the cup with that effort put forth today

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
I feel asleep last night watching the game, wasn't fully arsed about the fixture at all. However I have some points I wish to highlight:

1. Hoever was immense last night. Look a bit nervous but grew in the game later on. Camacho did well too.
2. I'd rather use Fab beside VvD ahead of Lovren.
3. Moreno and Mignolet are really poor. One of Studge and Origi (I suspect Studge) will be leaving.
4. Our squad depth isn't poor. This isn't a 2nd choice team, but rather 3rd choice. We had 2 youth defenders and another one attacking. I believe our teams could be (assuming we play in 433 shape):

Alisson
TAA - Gomez - van Dijk - Robertson
Henderson - Fabinho - Wijnaldum
Salah - Firmino - Mane

Alisson
Gomez/Fabinho - Matip/Lovren - van Dijk - Milner
Ox - Fabinho - Keita
Shaqiri - Origi - Sturridge
We may require some strength in depth, particularly someone like Fabinho, a RB/LB and a forward. Nonetheless, we could field a very strong 2nd team if we wanted. If only we have another van Dijk in the team :-(
5. City, on the other hand, has a 2nd team that could win the PL by itself. That's an advantage they have over us. Hopefully their extra matches this season take that advantage away from them.
6. I am a bit worried about Shaqiri and Keita. They are top players and I expect them to lead by example. Keita particularly needs to step up quickly and show his true quality.
7. Klopp played in a strange 442? shape against a team playing 3142. Given the inexperience of our players, the shape didn't help at all, Wolves seemed everywhere (which is normal when 3-5-2 faces 4-4-2).

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
WTF am I reading, you are the second person to blame Lovren for something despite him not playing. Lovren basically got injured when the game started ! Essentially nothing had happened by then! The only thing that had happened was that Wolves had run into an offside, that was all...
The rest of your post I won't bother to comment upon. Agree with some, disagree with some and I'll leave it at that.
Good night to you and everyone else.
No idea why you quoted me and coming out as blaming Lovren. I'm not blaming anyone, we fielded our 2nd string side and got beat. Lovren going out made things harder as mentioned with sixteen year old debutant and Milli I thought having to play nanny at times.

Couldn't care less if ye disagree or agree, nuff said.

Noo Noo

Biggest issue here for me was the simple lack of effort in many cases.

I can live with losing a game like this provided the effort is there. I saw very little last night and that's what disappoints me most.

Keita clearly needs some help of some sort and Sturridge??? Wow...Mignolet rooted to his line moved more than he did.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I woke up this morning and still agree with klopps line up.
I’m sure if we had been drawn against Rotherham or reading this line up would have been enough to go through.
Equally if we would have won 2-1 with our first team but with VVD going off with hamstring I would be waking up fuming.

The FA cup is not what it used to be. I wish it was. I miss the days when trophies meant more than finishing 4th and the riches of the champions league. But those days are gone.

Just need to win against Brighton!

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Trophies may not be worth more financially than finishing fourth but I suspect the players would value them more. An FA Cup winners medal looks better in the cabinet than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place medal, if you actually get one that is. Ask former players what their best memories are and it won't be that game when we beat West Ham to clinch 4th place.

JK just about gets away with it this time,.......but only if we win the league. If we finish 2nd or 3rd then it will have been another failure....we can't carry on being the annual also rans. The top 4 clubs in England win stuff. We don't.

Last edited:

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I thought that whole mantra has been we don’t want to be like Arsenal, finish top 4 and win the FA cup. We want to win the league.

The FA cup lost it’s magic a long time ago. It’s sad but the truth. Without googling I bet half of us would not name the last couple of winners.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Trophies may not be worth more financially than finishing fourth but I suspect the players would value them more. An FA Cup winners medal looks better in the cabinet than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place medal, if you actually get one that is. Ask former players what their best memories are and it won't be that game when we beat West Ham to clinch 4th place.

JK just about gets away with it this time,.......but only if we win the league. If we finish 2nd or 3rd then it will have been another failure....we can't carry on being the annual also rans. The top 5 clubs in England win stuff. We don't.
Despite not bothering to watch the match as it would have meant getting up early on a freezing cold morning to watch something I didn't really care about, I tend to agree with what you're saying.

Yes, winning the league is the priority and everything else is secondary. However, over the years great teams prove themselves capable of winning more than one competition in a season. Sending out teenagers against a Premier league team in the FA Cup does not send out the signal that we see ourselves as winners. It does send out the message that maybe we are too desperate to win the league and that maybe we lack confidence. Of course, going on a run of victories would put paid to that idea, but should we win the league this season then I would hope that in future Klopp would go all out to win every competition we are in and we would start to collect trophies just like the rest of the top 5 or 6.

Of course, that fact that we lost could just mean that we still don't have the strength in depth of some of our competitors.

Noo Noo

Despite not bothering to watch the match as it would have meant getting up early on a freezing cold morning to watch something I didn't really care about, I tend to agree with what you're saying.

Yes, winning the league is the priority and everything else is secondary. However, over the years great teams prove themselves capable of winning more than one competition in a season. Sending out teenagers against a Premier league team in the FA Cup does not send out the signal that we see ourselves as winners. It does send out the message that maybe we are too desperate to win the league and that maybe we lack confidence. Of course, going on a run of victories would put paid to that idea, but should we win the league this season then I would hope that in future Klopp would go all out to win every competition we are in and we would start to collect trophies just like the rest of the top 5 or 6.

Of course, that fact that we lost could just mean that we still don't have the strength in depth of some of our competitors.
Depth is an issue I think. Not quite as much as it has been but its still there haunting us a bit. Bare bones at centre half for example.

I personally didn't mind the selection, especially since Klopp has confirmed that many squad members have a few knocks, sore throats etc. but when I see senior players simply not putting any effort in then its fair to be a little bit angry. You can excuse a youngster for being a bit of a rabbit in the headlights or not being strong enough to influence the game but the leadership should come from those senior players. It didn't and that's really disappointing I think.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I thought that whole mantra has been we don’t want to be like Arsenal, finish top 4 and win the FA cup. We want to win the league.

The FA cup lost it’s magic a long time ago. It’s sad but the truth. Without googling I bet half of us would not name the last couple of winners.
Well at the moment we are like Arsenal but without the cup wins. Hopefully that will change this year...

If you Google the domestic cup winners you will find that invariably it is one of the top 4 clubs.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Obviously disappointed with the result, but with that line-up, it was obvious that Klopp wasn't too eager to go into the latter stages of the competition. Against a nearly full-strength Wolves side, playing so many youngsters and fringe players from the start, resting so many key players and playing some players out of position was always going to bite us. The formation was different from our classical 433, so no surprises there.

Add to this Lovren having to be replaced after two minutes, and you have the receipt of a disappointing performance and result. This reshuffled and heterogenous team had no chance to gel during the game. While Wolves started the game prudently, they soon noticed that they had a great chance to win the game, and were then the better team almost throughout.

The defence was obviously unsettled, although it has to be noted that the young lad Hoever did well when he had to come on. Actually a bit better than Fabinho (this player isn't a center back, sorry Jürgen), and FAR better than Moreno (who is surprised by this? Hold your hand up!) and Camacho (played off his natural position, what can you expect?).

In midfield, Milner, Shaqiri and Keita were supposed to pull the strings alongside Jones (where was Lallana btw? Please don't tell me he's injured again!), but they soon were under the cosh. Milner especially had a nightmare of a game, his second in a row. Maybe he is the one who should have been rested? Hindsight, I know... Keita and Shaqiri were good in spells, but anonymous for too many periods in the game. They were no match for Neves, Moutinho and the rest of Wolves' packed midfield.

As for the attacking line, don't get me started on this. Sturridge was an abomination. I can't for the life of me understand why Klopp didn't take him out for Firmino or Salah at half time. It was obvious that he wasn't bothered enough to run around a bit or to form a competitive partnership with Origi. The latter was a bit better. At least he tried to apply himself, tried to apply the pressing and scored a really good goal (coming out of nowhere, that), but with a ghost as attacking partner, he had no chance to shine more than he did.

One word on the keeper: Mignolet wasn't that bad, apart that he was typical Mignolet. Wolves had three shots on target. The first one was a tame shot right at the keeper, no danger at all here. The second was a good shot from Raul Jimenez, he had time to apply the shot properly. Mignolet guessed it wrong and was beaten. Then Neves put out one of his long-range specials. Again, Mignolet can't really be blamed for this, but... I'm quite sure that Allisson would have kept out one of these two shots. I'm maybe wrong, but that shot from Neves came from really far out. A good goalie might have been there to stop the shot.

Even with all this going on, one moment of individual brilliance from Origi brought us level at 1-1. Another one from Shaqiri, late in the game, could have earnt us a replay. It was the almost perfect free-kick. Two millimeters more to the left, and it was a magnificent goal, instead of the ball going all along the goal-line. Ruddy couldn't believe his luck on that occasion. Salah and Firmino, brought on late in the game, lifted us, but not enough to claw one back.

So, we are out, and have lost the second match in a row. Hard to say how this will impact our game at Brighton. The most problematic issue is obviously Lovren having to go out with what looked like a harmstring injury. I don't think that Fabinho is the answer for the spot alongside VVD in a four-men defence. He'd be far more valuable in front of the defensive line imo. Hoever is too young to be counted upon. He did well against Wolves, but apart from a place on the bench, I can't see him play a role at Brighton. Maybe a three-men defence can be the answer. VVD, Fabinho and Gini for instance, with Robbo and TAA playing as wing backs in a 343 formation?

Anyway, I'm very disappointed that we didn't take this beautiful competition more seriously. Going out so early puts Klopp and his lads under a lot of pressure: only the two big ones left to compete in. Let's see how this goes. My belief is that winning is a habit and should be taken as seriously as possible. So, I'm a bit miffed that Klopp decided to throw this game and this cup away. Hopefully his decision will be justified later in the season, fingers crossed!

Edit: just heard Klopp's post-match conference. Lallana and Hendo were out with flu, and Lovren shouldn't have been included. Plain bad luck then, and that information mitigates some of my earlier comments in this post...

Last edited:

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Just woken up hoping that just a horrible nightmare.............sadly, it wasn’t.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I'll probably get slapped down for this but ....I wonder given Klopp's poor record in cup finals has he, perhaps subconsciously, decided to not even try thereby avoiding failure again?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

I normally put up a strong argument, saying I'd value an FA Cup win higher than a top 4 finish.

But, this year it's different, we're not just fighting for a top 4 finish, so fuck the FA Cup, and if our challenge for the league comes up short, then so be it.

C

Caradoc

Depth? Once Lovren went off the only fit centre back we had was Virgil who was being rested. That’s 3 out of our 4 senior centre backs out injured. That’s not down to a lack of depth.

I agree with the rest of your post though! :well done:

I'll probably get slapped down for this but ....I wonder given Klopp's poor record in cup finals has he, perhaps subconsciously, decided to not even try thereby avoiding failure again?

SLAP ......... DOWN .......... !

jackh1092

Poor performance + some of those fringe first teams need to have a hard look at themselves- specifically Moreno + Studge.

Obviously after City away we needed to rest some players + Wolves was a very difficult tie.

I love Keita's style of play etc. but he hasn't half gone missing in that game, albeit with a few statues ahead of him to pass to.

One thing, the boy signed for us in Jan of 17, and came to us summer of 18, and since then has had well documented adjustment problems- promised to know the language by this summer. Why hasn't he learnt English between the transfer agreement and joining? Am i missing something? Sounds poor to me.

C

Caradoc

I love Keita's style of play etc. but he hasn't half gone missing in that game, albeit with a few statues ahead of him to pass to.

One thing, the boy signed for us in Jan of 17, and came to us summer of 18, and since then has had well documented adjustment problems- promised to know the language by this summer. Why hasn't he learnt English between the transfer agreement and joining? Am i missing something? Sounds poor to me.

Clearly! Just a few quick points off the top of my head .....

1. How do you know he hasn’t tried to learn English?
2. Few people can learn a new language that quickly
3. Many people struggle to learn new languages

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
The United fans saying we have devalued the cup make me laugh.
Since they decided they didnt want to enter the cup in 1999 for a few extra quid in some other cup its lost its value.

Macolfc

It feels unpleasant but I’m chilled about it. I understand that football has changed and the league and CL are miles head in the pecking order. We are currently top of the league and putting up record numbers in terms of points haul. We may or may not win the title and time will tell on that, but we are putting up a heck of a fight and have every reason to be proud. The CL was a bit strange but with three strong teams in the group we got it done on the last day against Napoli and we are in he knockout stages, where anything can happen.

Sad to lose, but somehow still philosophical about the whole thing.

I do agree with what your saying, but to put all your eggs in one basket for me is a little stupid. Obviously we would all take the CL or PL over FA or league cup, but to win either of the first two is a massive challenge. Look how strong city have been in the league over the past few year, but haven’t really done anything in the CL.

None of us want to be that side that bottled the league again & then follows it up by being beaten in the CL league final. What will that make it, 1 trophy in 14 year I think? For what is supposedly one of the biggest clubs in The world.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I get that players and fans remember winning finals more than finishing 3rd or 4th etc.
I remember all our finals since mid 1980s. And up until a few years ago I was always saying I would prefer a cup than to just finish 4th.

But then I saw that your best players will leave if you find yourself in next seasons Europa league and the best players available will tend to go elsewhere.
Football isn’t in the 1980s or even 1990s anymore.

If you can get to the 5th round or q/f in either or the domestic tournaments then I think take it seriously. Otherwise concentrate on the fringe players and giving youth a chance.

At the end of the day, yesterday we started with mignolet, lovren, Fabinho, Moreno, Milner, keita, Shaqiri, sturridge and origi. That’s a strong 9 players. The question I would ask is why so many of them were poor.

But Brighton is the important game now. Win that and all will be forgotten. Lose it and this place will explode!

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
We are Liverpool football club and the players like Moreno and sturidge looked like they was playing for Barnet we can’t have shit players with a shit attitude playing for our club I don’t care if it’s fa cup or
Why r players Like Studge and Origi being targetted as scapegoats. Up until Lovren's injury, we were actually creating good chances. But once Loovren went out, we were penned back in our own half and that's not up to our forwards to get the ball up most of the time unless we were relying on long balls.

We got beat by a strong Wolves side when we could only field FB's consisting Fab and Hoever as a sub on for Lovren, both are way out of their depth in this match. Millner in my mind had to heavily cover Hoever thus hampering our MF further. With Wolves playing and pushing us high, we were finding it difficult to even get out of our own half.

We had our chances. With a little luck this game could have ended 2-2. Shaq's freekick was probably a few cm from goal and goalie had tipped it slightly aways. Wolves had better chances though and this was down to play being broken in middle of the field and them counterattacking dangerously. With the kind of makeshift Def I thought we could have gotten hammered tonight.

Hats off to Wolves, fair play, they fielded their strongest and deserved to be winners at home.
Eh?
Lovren was injured inside 10 minutes. What good chances did we create in the first 10 minutes?

Noo Noo

Obviously disappointed with the result, but with that line-up, it was obvious that Klopp wasn't too eager to go into the latter stages of the competition. Against a nearly full-strength Wolves side, playing so many youngsters and fringe players from the start, resting so many key players and playing some players out of position was always going to bite us. The formation was different from our classical 433, so no surprises there.

Add to this Lovren having to be replaced after two minutes, and you have the receipt of a disappointing performance and result. This reshuffled and heterogenous team had no chance to gel during the game. While Wolves started the game prudently, they soon noticed that they had a great chance to win the game, and were then the better team almost throughout the game.

The defence was obviously unsettled, although it has to be noted that the young lad Hoever did well when he had to come on. Actually a bit better than Fabinho (this player isn't a center back, sorry Jürgen), and FAR better than Moreno (who is surprised by this? Hold your hand up!) and Camacho (played off his natural position, what can you expect?).

In midfield, Milner, Shaqiri and Keita were supposed to pull the strings alongside Jones (where was Lallana btw? Please don't tell me he's injured again!), but they soon were under the cosh. Milner especially had a nightmare of a game, his second in a row. Maybe he is the one who should have been rested? Hindsight, I know... Keita and Shaqiri were good in spells, but anonymous for too many periods in the game. They were no match for Neves, Moutinho and the rest of Wolves' packed midfield.

As for the attacking line, don't get me started on this. Sturridge was an abomination. I can't for the life of me understand why Klopp didn't take him out for Firmino or Salah at half time. It was obvious that he wasn't bothered enough to run around a bit or to form a competitive partnership with Origi. The latter was a bit better. At least he tried to apply himself, tried to apply the pressing and scored a really good goal (coming out of nowhere, that), but with a ghost as attacking partner, he had no chance to shine more than he did.

One word on the keeper: Mignolet wasn't that bad, apart that he was typical Mignolet. Wolves had three shots on target. The first one was a tame shot right at the keeper, no danger at all here. The second was a good shot from Raul Gimenez, he had time to apply the shot properly. Mignolet guessed it wrong and was beaten. Then Neves put out one of his long-range specials. Again, Mignolet can't really be blamed for this, but... I'm quite sure that Allisson would have kept out one of these two shots. I'm maybe wrong, but that shot from Neves came from really far out. A good goalie might have been there to stop the shot.

Even with all this going on, one moment of individual brilliance from Origi brought us level at 1-1. Another one from Shaqiri, late in the game, could have earnt us a replay. It was the almost perfect free-kick. Two millimeters more to the left, and it was a magnificent goal, instead of the ball going all along the goal-line. Ruddy couldn't believe his luck on that occasion. Salah and Firmino, brought on late in the game, lifted our game, but not enough to claw one back.

So, we are out, and have lost the second match in a row. Hard to say how this will impact our game at Brighton. The most problematic issue is obviously Lovren having to go out with what looked like a harmstring injury. I don't think that Fabinho is the answer for the spot alongside VVD in a four-men defence. He'd be far more valuable in front of the defensive line imo. Hoever is too young to be counted upon. He did well against Wolves, but apart from a place on the bench, I can't see him play a role at Brighton. Maybe a three-men defence can be the answer. VVD, Fabinho and Gini for instance, with Robbo and TAA playing as wing backs in a 343 formation?

Anyway, I'm very disappointed that we didn't take this beautiful competition more seriously. Going out so early puts Klopp and his lads under a lot of pressure: only the two big ones left to compete in. Let's see how this goes. My belief is that winning is a habit and should be taken as seriously as possible. So, I'm a bit miffed that Klopp decided to throw this game and this cup away. Hopefully his decision will be justified later in the season, fingers crossed!
Agreed apart from your comments on Mignolet.

While the first goal was not his fault he should be a lot further out than what he was. He should be challenging Gimenez on the edge of his area or there abouts at least trying to get Gimenez to make a decision and make the goal smaller. He didn't make it to the 6 yard line!!! There were a couple of other occasions where he also should have moved forward, clear the ball or whatever. Again he was rooted to his goal line.

Second goal I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I was desperately disappointed with him up to that point anyway so its kind of irrelevant.