Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Hoever was awesome. Nice goal from Origi.

That's about it. Everyone was pretty poor.

But Hoever was amazing.
In that first half the poor kid was thrown in the deep end. I guess he was playing more as a wingback, but Comacho was completely invisible defensively in that first half and it meant Hoever was basically playing 2 on 1 a number of times. The fact that the kid survived that that defensive exposure speaks volumes. I am proper excited about him.

BTW, I think Fab should get the nod at CB this weekend on that performance. Thought he did really well.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I get that players and fans remember winning finals more than finishing 3rd or 4th etc.
I remember all our finals since mid 1980s. And up until a few years ago I was always saying I would prefer a cup than to just finish 4th.

But then I saw that your best players will leave if you find yourself in next seasons Europa league and the best players available will tend to go elsewhere.
Football isn’t in the 1980s or even 1990s anymore.

If you can get to the 5th round or q/f in either or the domestic tournaments then I think take it seriously. Otherwise concentrate on the fringe players and giving youth a chance.

At the end of the day, yesterday we started with mignolet, lovren, Fabinho, Moreno, Milner, keita, Shaqiri, sturridge and origi. That’s a strong 9 players. The question I would ask is why so many of them were poor.

But Brighton is the important game now. Win that and all will be forgotten. Lose it and this place will explode!
The obvious answer would be to hand a CL place to the winner, and to allocate a lot more money to the competition. It would be instantly taken more seriously by everyone. I sincerely hope that this will happen one day.

Noo Noo

The obvious answer would be to hand a CL place to the winner, and to allocate a lot more money to the competition. It would be instantly taken more seriously by everyone. I sincerely hope that this will happen one day.
What happened to the old Cup Winners Cup?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Agreed apart from your comments on Mignolet.

While the first goal was not his fault he should be a lot further out than what he was. He should be challenging Gimenez on the edge of his area or there abouts at least trying to get Gimenez to make a decision and make the goal smaller. He didn't make it to the 6 yard line!!! There were a couple of other occasions where he also should have moved forward, clear the ball or whatever. Again he was rooted to his goal line.

Second goal I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I was desperately disappointed with him up to that point anyway so its kind of irrelevant.
Well yes, that's why I wrote that a better goalie could have done something about these shots. It's somehow typical that with Mignolet in goal, we concede two goals from two serious shots on target. It's the exact same when he was playing regularly for us. Any kind of serious shot on target resulted in a goal.

Noo Noo

Well yes, that's why I wrote that a better goalie could have done something about these shots. It's somehow typical that with Mignolet in goal, we concede two goals from two serious shots on target. It's the exact same when he was playing regularly for us. Any kind of serious shot on target resulted in a goal.
Ah yes you're right.

I stand corrected.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't think anyone is suggesting there should be no drop off in quality but people are pissed off with what looked like a 'couldn't be arsed' attitude amongst some players who should have been running through brick walls in a bid to impress.
Origi and Sturridge stunk the place out first half, Origi improved second half but Sturridge didn't. Sturridge has been one of my favourite players over the past 5 years but enough is enough, he should be told to find himself another club if he wants to play again this season. He was a fucking disgrace. Mignolet and Moreno were both turd and Keita did fuck all to suggest he should be getting a run in the side.
All players who have something to prove, all poor to various degrees. Throw in Lallana and Lovren getting crocked again and it's easy to see how people are frustrated.
It’s so easy to see a team of lads who barely know each other, let alone have played together, struggling to figure out a game against a better quality side, and conclude they can’t be arsed.

We know what the issue is with Daniel Sturridge. We know why he can look effective coming in for 15-20mins at the end of a game, but have difficulty when he’s trying to manage his way through 90mins.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Don't have any complaints regarding Klopp's selection. He had a tricky balancing act on his hands having to both rest players and deal with illness, and that was probably the best team he could have fielded considering the circumstances. He certainly didn't resort to this lineup because he doesn't value the FA Cup.

Obviously with such a weakened side it was always going to be an uphill battle, so getting beaten was no big suprise. The real problem here along with Lovren's usual untimely injury was the attitude of most of the seniors players. They were rather blatant in that they couldn't be bothered and that is enraging and annoying. Sturridge in particular was taking the piss. Not that the likes of Shaqiri, Origi (in the first half) and Keita were much better. The latter is starting to becoming a cause for concern. 50 million pounds and he has contributed nothing. All too often he lets the game pass him by and while the ability and the talent is there, the application seems to be lacking. Not bothering to learn English for a full year is not a good sign. As far as the likes of Moreno and Mignolet are concerned, they were finished a long time before yesterday. If nothing else, this was another reminder of just how useless they've both been. Fabinho was probably the most stable performer and while Milner didn't have his best game either, he can always be counted on. The young ones tried the hardest, although none of them had a particularly good game except perhaps Hoever, who did just as well as it can be expected.

I can't help but look at him as a complete waste of time wage thief, the true definition of one, he's on 140k a week and he's given the club/us next to nothing for those millions, it's beyond disgraceful really but there you go, some fans will still blow his trumpet and carry on their delusions that he's still a good striker.
Nothing apart from 65 goals. And no one forced the club to pay him that. He was lame last night but the above is just over the top.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
City made one change to their side that beat us, and then wiped the floor with Rotherham. Tell me what side has a head of steam after this past 5 days...... It ain't ours.
City made 8 changes from the team that beat us.

Trophies may not be worth more financially than finishing fourth but I suspect the players would value them more. An FA Cup winners medal looks better in the cabinet than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place medal, if you actually get one that is. Ask former players what their best memories are and it won't be that game when we beat West Ham to clinch 4th place.

JK just about gets away with it this time,.......but only if we win the league. If we finish 2nd or 3rd then it will have been another failure....we can't carry on being the annual also rans. The top 4 clubs in England win stuff. We don't.
The squad is packed full of overseas players who came to compete in the CL and at the top end of the league, not in the early rounds of the Carabao or FA Cup. Alisson, for example, doesn't even get to play in cup games. Neither has VVD this season. You only have to look at our performances in the cup competitions to see that the senior players really aren't as motivated as they are in league and European games. We had Mane, Salah, Firmino and VVD starting against WBA in the 4th round last season. Bottom team in the league played us off the park. Last night's game had all the intensity of a pre-season friendly. Even Wolves didn't look arsed before we gifted them a goal.

The last Liverpool manager to prioritise the cups got the sack for doing so. Sadly that was the final nail in the coffin of the 'we exist to win trophies' mentality. Winning the FA cup didn't save Wenger, Van Gaal or Conte and it won't define JK's tenure either regardless of what the media might like us to believe.

Mascot88

Admin
Disgrace for Liverpool FC to be allowed to remain in this tournament. Why bother? Club should be fined (indeed banned) if that it the extent of its interest in the competition.

Personally, sick of losing cup matches by fielding shit sides. Surprised how many on here are willing to drop their kecks and take it in the arse in cup games, for the dream of a league title. Still just a dream folks. Shame on you all. Liverpool losing like that makes me want to puke. I have too much pride in my team to see them ever lose.

City made one change to their side that beat us, and then wiped the floor with Rotherham. Tell me what side has a head of steam after this past 5 days...... It ain't ours.

Fucking Awful! There - its off me chest. Least its not still up me arse.
Do City get a bye straight into the final for putting seven past Rotherham? Whether they beat them by one or ten is irrelevant.

Pep could have made more changes and still comfortably beaten Rotherham. His team selection had nothing to do with respecting the tournament, and everything to do with worrying about consistency and fluidity in his team.

Noo Noo

The last Liverpool manager to prioritise the cups got the sack for doing so. Sadly that was the final nail in the coffin of the 'we exist to win trophies' mentality. Winning the FA cup didn't save Wenger, Van Gaal or Conte and it won't define JK's tenure either regardless of what the media might like us to believe.
Yeah I think you're right. Imagine the s**t that would be flying if Klopp prioritised the Cup over the league. We already took an unwanted / possibly costly injury last night. We don't need any more.

But the lack of effort from certain individuals that did play was still annoying to be honest.

Mascot88

Admin
One question for all of you based on the lineup last night: Do we have enough quality and depth to take us through the remainder of the season and win either the PL or CL or maybe even both?
Yes, our squad depth is fine.

For the rest of the season, we’ll be rotating two or three, not nine or ten. People are getting hung up about the depth because we can’t beat the seventh or eighth best team in the premier league with a side that is entirely comprised of squad lads. Nobody could.

C

Caradoc

I thought that we played reasonably well last night when taking into consideration the side we put out and the almost immediate disruption to any plans we had with Lovren going off.

Don’t take any notice of the drivel being spouted by Shearer about this makeshift side being able to slot in and play to somewhere near the standard of the first team. Not for the first time he’s talking through his arse!

jaffod

They made 8 changes actually, bringing in the likes of De Bruyne, Gundogan, Walker, Mahrez and Jesus.

Maybe we should abuse FFP and look to do the same.

jaffod

Yes, our squad depth is fine.

For the rest of the season, we’ll be rotating two or three, not nine or ten. People are getting hung up about the depth because we can’t beat the seventh or eighth best team in the premier league with a side that is entirely comprised of squad lads. Nobody could.
Our squad depth isn't fine. We have one competent right back who people are saying isn't really a right back but should be playing further forward, we have one competent left back and one back up striker who can be relied upon to perform for more than 20 minutes.
We need cover in all 3 areas mentioned. We've lost 2 players (Clyne and Solanke), Lallana is fucking pointless and several players are either extremely injury prone or constantly playing with knocks.
We're at a point right now where another couple of injuries will basically end our season.

Mascot88

Admin
Our squad depth isn't fine. We have one competent right back who people are saying isn't really a right back but should be playing further forward, we have one competent left back and one back up striker who can be relied upon to perform for more than 20 minutes.
We need cover in all 3 areas mentioned. We've lost 2 players (Clyne and Solanke), Lallana is fucking pointless and several players are either extremely injury prone or constantly playing with knocks.
We're at a point right now where another couple of injuries will basically end our season.
That is utterly absurd, and a complete knee jerk reaction.

We’ve no business expecting to beat Wolves with ten changes to the team. The problem last night wasn’t the squad depth, it was the fact that we rotated everything at the same time.

Moreno is can come in for Robertson every now and then when he needs a rest. Trent can drop out for Gomez or Milner. Origi or Sturridge can drop in for one of the forwards.

We can do any of those changes, and probably be fine. Do them all at the same time, and then through four kids in the mix as well, and we’re not.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
City made 8 changes from the team that beat us.

The squad is packed full of overseas players who came to compete in the CL and at the top end of the league, not in the early rounds of the Carabao or FA Cup. Alisson, for example, doesn't even get to play in cup games. Neither has VVD this season. You only have to look at our performances in the cup competitions to see that the senior players really aren't as motivated as they are in league and European games. We had Mane, Salah, Firmino and VVD starting against WBA in the 4th round last season. Bottom team in the league played us off the park. Last night's game had all the intensity of a pre-season friendly. Even Wolves didn't look arsed before we gifted them a goal.

If we don't exist to win trophies then don't we become....err...Everton :think:?

sms1986

The two losses in a row thing, I don't think that's necessarily something to worry about too much - City lost three in a row involving us and United last season and still went on to win the league. Win against Brighton and we're back on track.

kennyrush

Klopp rolled the dice. No problems with that. But he's increased the pressure on him to produce a trophy.

Side issue. Midfield? We have none. And Robertson has been a steal.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
If we don't exist to win trophies then don't we become....err...Everton :think:?
Trust me, it'll never be that bad!

I completely get where you and others are coming from on this and a few years ago I'd have agreed with you. For what it's worth I thought it was a disgrace to sack KD but the circumstances then were very different. We had no chance of winning the league and weren't at the business end of the CL. Last night I couldn't have felt more ambivalent about the outcome of that game. Almost ashamed to admit it, but it's the truth. My main concern was injuries. I was fuming at JK for picking Lovren when we all know he's injury prone and I was wincing every time Fabinho over-stretched in those last ditch tackles fearing his hamstring would go.

I really don't think we have the squad to compete across 3 competitions without us running into a brick wall. We are so reliant on the front 3 and there is a substantial drop-off in quality to the back-ups as we could see last night. If we had to rely on them for any length of time in the league then we would have no chance of winning it.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Well at the moment we are like Arsenal but without the cup wins. Hopefully that will change this year...

If you Google the domestic cup winners you will find that invariably it is one of the top 4 clubs.
I did google lol

The last 3 winners have finished the league 5th.

Since 2007/2008 (When Portsmouth won it). Six teams have been outside of the top 4 (including a team relegated). One team has finished in the top 2 , Three teams have finished 3rd. One team finished 4th.

jackh1092

Clearly! Just a few quick points off the top of my head .....

1. How do you know he hasn’t tried to learn English?
2. Few people can learn a new language that quickly
3. Many people struggle to learn new languages
Well he said his target was to have learnt it by June this year (i think that was the target date can't remember exactly) and judging by the fact Klopp had already said he was communicating through Mane, would suggest, he hasn't learnt much if any!

I know they can't but 7 months extra would give him a head start.

I know i am jumping to conclusions that he hasn't tried, but the quotes definitely do suggest he hasn't quite done much on it. Though agents etc would surely have him booked for tutoring etc. so it might just be he is struggling to pick it up.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
I did google lol

The last 3 winners have finished the league 5th.

Since 2007/2008 (When Portsmouth won it). Six teams have been outside of the top 4 (including a team relegated). One team has finished in the top 2 , Three teams have finished 3rd. One team finished 4th.
I meant top 4 in the sense of the 4 most successful clubs in recent years i.e. United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

In the last 10 years I would imagine they have hoovered up most of the two domestic cups.....

Edit.....looks like 16 out of 20 finals won by those 4 sides.

Last edited:

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
Once I saw the team I didn't think we had much chance of beating Wolves, I usually hate wholesale changes but given injuries etc and where we are in the league we didn't have many options. I did think when Neves scored thank God it wasn't in the game a few weeks ago. Lovren going off was a worry though.

Last edited:

Red over the water

One question for all of you based on the lineup last night: Do we have enough quality and depth to take us through the remainder of the season and win either the PL or CL or maybe even both?
Maybe. But you can’t say for sure.

There are a good half a dozen teams who can win the CL and we are one of them.
There are two (arguably three) teams who can win the Prem and we are one of them.

We are top of the league and having our best ever Prem season after 21 games.
We are in the last 16 knockout for the CL.

First team quality is up there with the best. That extends 2-3 players beyond the eleven. But if we lose a key player or two (Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Salah, Mane, Firmino) the level drops. And if we have a disproportionate amount of injuries in one area e.g. currently we only have 1/4 senior central defenders fit, then we struggle.

The depth is better than most, but it can improve. At the least we need Werner (or equivalent) and a left back. Then shift a few out and maybe promote some youth to the squad to replace ineffective senior players e.g. Wilson.

RedLar

Hope you're feeling better.
Now consider this piece from the echo, and you'll see why it's important to prioritize competitions:

"The Reds will now have two free weekends in January / February while other clubs take part in the fourth and fifth round of the FA Cup.

The fourth round takes place on the weekend of Saturday, 26 January and the fifth round three weeks later on February 16/17.

That will mean Liverpool have a full 10 day break ahead of their Champions League tie against Bayern Munich at Anfield on February 19."
Well, let's hope we don't then lose our competitive edge because we are sitting on our hands without a game for 2 weeks, and risking defeat to Bayern in the process.

Not about to celebrate Liverpool putting on a shit show. If they don't care, then fine. Don't enter the competition.

kennyrush

Lovren going off was a worry though.

Don't get it. Lovren is a liability. Central defensive cover required.

And a playmaker in midfield. Henderson? Milner? No thanks. Not in the same game.

RedLar

Anyone satisifed seeing away supporters singing about them beating us or knocking us out of the cup, has got some issues. Yeah I get the bigger picture, but surely a team like Liverpool plays to win. Efforts like last night can have no postive outcome.

Save us the embarrassment LFC and ditch the cup comps. At least announce you will play the reserves so people won't be arsed tuning in.

I am well past caring about it this morning, but nothing changes my opinion that that was a disgrace last night. Small part of me would be happy to see Klopp win fuck all...... I'll probably get over that an' all.

Commando

Well he said his target was to have learnt it by June this year (i think that was the target date can't remember exactly) and judging by the fact Klopp had already said he was communicating through Mane, would suggest, he hasn't learnt much if any!

I know they can't but 7 months extra would give him a head start.

I know i am jumping to conclusions that he hasn't tried, but the quotes definitely do suggest he hasn't quite done much on it. Though agents etc would surely have him booked for tutoring etc. so it might just be he is struggling to pick it up.
He's lucky to be playing now. Imagine if he'd have been playing a few seasons back. He'd have to learn English but also Scouse. Someone coming in from abroad could speak perfectly grammatical English but wouldn't have a clue what Carra was saying. lol

Anyway, back to the game last night. I LOVE the FA cup and really want us to win it. I'm old enough to remember when cup final day was a big deal. I'd be sat in front of the telly with the telly pages from the paper studying the running order for each sides (BBC and ITV) coverage of the day. Then deciding which channel to watch it on depending who was commentating. When I saw the team selection last night I was disappointed that we hadn't gone a bit stronger, but hoped that the first team regulars in the side would inspire the kids and bit part players to victory. As it turned out only Fabinho from the former group played anywhere near well enough and that was in a position where he couldn't really make much of an impact. Its sad to see us out of the cup so early again this season. In the cold light of day though, IF we go on to win a greater prize this year then it will be worth it. As someone posted earlier we won't have an away game on the weekend before we face Bayern now.